Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      25 (36.8%)
      Nat Phillips
      4 (5.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      5 (7.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      2 (2.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      16 (23.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2021 09:52:58 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23758 times
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Apr 07, 2021 10:42:03 am
      LFC's offensive style continues to frustrate me.
      Station to station methodical passing.
      The norm...players receiving passes while facing their own net.
      Leading passes clearly are forbidden.
      With possession, LFC waits for opposition defenders to get back into position before trying to dissect them.
      And how many times does the offensive come to a complete stop with the LFC player with the ball standing motionless.

My guy Mane has become useless

Without legit center backs to cover for TAA's advances, this system cannot function as designed with these current pieces.
      I get why the National team has no interest in TAA if their system prefers a straight up defender which TAA certainly isn't.

That first half was a robotic display by LFC.
      Madrid's press kneecapped LFC and they did not have answer for it.
      Madrid's spacing was sublime and the ease with which they moved the ball to their perfectly spaced players was a thing of beauty. LFC looked like they were chasing their tail.
      And truthfully, Madrid deserved a couple PKs that went unnoticed by only the ref.

Boys vs men for much of the game
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2021 10:47:07 am by Borg »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #622: Apr 07, 2021 10:47:17 am
      The false economy of not replacing VVD has cost LFC the Prem. and now very possibly our CL aspirations!
      False economies appear to be owners forte.

:mad: :mad:

Wow - Iā€™m amazed that anyone has managed to put the blame on the owners - even you
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #623: Apr 07, 2021 10:51:14 am
      but I do feel having energy and ball retention was key yesterday and we set up in a way that did not help with that imo

Fully agree, the Keita selection was a REAL head-scratcher, i've been a critic of Thiago (particularly in the epl) but in a European game against 2 top passers in Modric and Kroos it made no sense t leave him out. In the first half I felt like our midfield 3 didn't really show for the ball, not many options for the  full backs when they had the ball, very few angles or interchanges. We looked better when Thiago came on, at least he demands the ball, always shows and is brave (even if he looses the bloody thing).

All in all i think 3-1 flattered us. We're still in the tie and there is still a chance BUT the truth is we are million miles away from wining this trophy and if we did somehow get to the final I think Bayern, City or PSG would all do a number on us. The form of some of our front players and simply the limitations of the CBs against top top opposition would kill us.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #624: Apr 07, 2021 10:52:28 am

:mad: :mad:

Wow - Iā€™m amazed that anyone has managed to put the blame on the owners - even you

No - how could you forget nobhead above?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #625: Apr 07, 2021 11:03:56 am
      No - how could you forget nobhead above?

Can you tell us all in your wisdom what the owners did that meant we lost the game last night ?

Did they make TAA mess up the header ? Did they have the backline sitting high and the front three allowing Kroos all the time in the world ? Did they suddenly turn Alissons hands to jelly ?

Did they force Klopp into picking Keita and Gini leaving Thiago on the bench ?

Are you that blind or stupid that you can only see a fault with the owners and nothing else
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #626: Apr 07, 2021 11:11:48 am
      So gutted with that performance, it was awful really
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #627: Apr 07, 2021 11:14:05 am
      Watch that back. The entire game.
      Then ask yourself ?

Can we play that bad again ?

Are we lucky to still be in the tie ?

2-0 required at Anfield thatā€™s all

We are going to have to score a lot more than 2 goals because there is no way in hell that that Real team don't score at Anfield against our makeshift defence. I think we can do it but we'll need our team to be in top form from the first minute and I'm just not that optimistic, sorry.

BTW I totally agree with those calling for Robertson and Mane to be dropped, they have been sh*t for too long now. Give Tzimikas a go and play either Shaq or Bobby in Mane's place, another option might be to play Origi central supported by Jota and Salah, it might work if Origi makes enough of a nuisance of himself to create space for the other two.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #628: Apr 07, 2021 11:40:03 am
      Hard to see us pulling back from 3  1 down tbh, especially the way the side are performing at home in the last few months. Without the Kop in full flow there seems to be no backbone to the team. I sincerely hope that they come out and prove me wrong.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #629: Apr 07, 2021 11:43:24 am
      Can you tell us all in your wisdom what the owners did that meant we lost the game last night ?

Did they make TAA mess up the header ? Did they have the backline sitting high and the front three allowing Kroos all the time in the world ? Did they suddenly turn Alissons hands to jelly ?

Did they force Klopp into picking Keita and Gini leaving Thiago on the bench ?

Are you that blind or stupid that you can only see a fault with the owners and nothing else

You F***ing idiot!

"Sack Klopp he's to blame".
      F***ing whopper!
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #630: Apr 07, 2021 11:44:11 am
      Brown turd boy still hanging around the forum like a bad smell.

When we get beat . Nowhere to be seen on Saturday
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #631: Apr 07, 2021 12:05:32 pm
      You f**king idiot!

F***ing whopper!

Sorry but where did anyone say ā€œSack Kloppā€  :f_doh:

Surely if the team doesnā€™t perform then the players need to take blame and the manager as well ?

Or in your eyes is everyone blameless bar the owners

But as per normal you just rant to avoid the question
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #632: Apr 07, 2021 12:06:45 pm
      Not giving up on the tie yet but with the current circumstances itā€™s probably about the same odds for a comeback win than it was vs Barcelona.

We are gash at home.
      We have a really out of sorts defence.
      Our midfield is constantly bypassed.
      Our forwards play like they have never met each other before.
      And no famous atmosphere.

What I donā€™t get is why klopp persists with the high line when our centre backs are actually pretty slow.
      It takes just one pass to split us open.

But the hope in me remembers that against Barcelona Shaqiri and origi shone.

Who knows whatā€™ll happen. We live in hope.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #633: Apr 07, 2021 12:22:36 pm
      Gonna take a huge turnaround in our form to go through now.
      Serious footballing hangover today :(
      Think we and JĆ¼rgen underestimated RM. Like, would he have started Keita if he thought RM would be so quick/sharp - think in trying to give us more "go forward" we lost control in the middle. But also made mistakes at the back and did very little up front - poor all round.
      Anyway, not gonna go over old ground, season hanging by a thread now.

"Mr. Hunt, this isn't mission difficult, it's mission impossible" - not quite, probably is still just mission difficult...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #634: Apr 07, 2021 12:26:52 pm
      You f**king idiot!

F***ing whopper!

WOW, that is deep!!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #635: Apr 07, 2021 12:31:26 pm

Sorry but where did anyone say ā€œSack Kloppā€  :f_doh:

Surely if the team doesnā€™t perform then the players need to take blame and the manager as well ?

Or in your eyes is everyone blameless bar the owners

But as per normal you just rant to avoid the question

Off ya pop.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #636: Apr 07, 2021 12:43:15 pm
      Gonna take a huge turnaround in our form to go through now.
      Serious footballing hangover today :(
      Think we and JĆ¼rgen underestimated RM. Like, would he have started Keita if he thought RM would be so quick/sharp - think in trying to give us more "go forward" we lost control in the middle. But also made mistakes at the back and did very little up front - poor all round.
      Anyway, not gonna go over old ground, season hanging by a thread now.

"Mr. Hunt, this isn't mission difficult, it's mission impossible" - not quite, probably is still just mission difficult...

or simply why did Klopp pick Keita instead of Thiago??? Another F**k up by the manager, they are starting to accumulate a bit now.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #637: Apr 07, 2021 12:46:05 pm

As per normal run away
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #638: Apr 07, 2021 12:46:05 pm
      It was a total shambles, once again the nutcase manager got it wrong in his team selection of Keita instead of Thiago who was only introduced after the damage was done, by playing the negative tactic of holding a high line it has destroyed the team throughout this shitty season. The nutcase needs to walk! If he stays in charge for the next season, he will destroy LFC totally. This outing in the UCL might the last for LFC, I don't expect the club to qualify for seasons to come.
      There were a lot of shitty performances by many players last night, starting with Gini, Kabak, Trent, useless keeper who was at fault for the third goal, even Salah who was lucky to pounce on a rebound of Jota's shot, otherwise, he was a total sh*t.

You still here.  :lmao: I must say even I'm surprised  :roll:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #639: Apr 07, 2021 12:48:47 pm

We are going to have to score a lot more than 2 goals because there is no way in hell that that Real team don't score at Anfield against our makeshift defence. I think we can do it but we'll need our team to be in top form from the first minute and I'm just not that optimistic, sorry.

I actually think your right, 2 goals probably not enough as Madrid do look good fo scoring atleast one at Anfield.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #640: Apr 07, 2021 12:51:13 pm
      I actually think your right, 2 goals probably not enough as Madrid do look good fo scoring atleast one at Anfield.

BTW what did you make of Haaland last night, he had a nice pass to Reus for their goal but other than that I'd like to hear your opinion.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #641: Apr 07, 2021 01:13:57 pm
      So disappointing to watch that last night. After such a good effort against Arsenal on Saturday too.

What we've got to keep reminding ourselves is that three man midfield of Kroos, Modric and Casimiro have won the Champions League three years on the bounce before we beat Tottenham.
      That same three, completely took the piss last night and we just stood back and allowed them space and time to dictate the play.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I'm sure JĆ¼rgen is fuming inside this morning, as we all are, about the reasoning why and how he set up his starting midfield.

Another mountain of a 2nd leg to overcome.. and this time in an empty Anfield.
      Two goals and clean sheet against this lot?....
      If we get straight at them and close them down quicker we'll give ourselves a chance.
      If we continue this slow build up play they will just soak it up and pick us off on the counter.

It's not over til the fat lady sings !! ;D

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #642: Apr 07, 2021 01:16:15 pm

Hahaha
      Give yer arse a chance ffs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #643: Apr 07, 2021 01:45:51 pm
      BTW what did you make of Haaland last night, he had a nice pass to Reus for their goal but other than that I'd like to hear your opinion.

My opinion hasn't really changed. He's a beast of a player, holds the ball up very well too. His passing not the best but then he's a striker not midfielder. On last nites performance (( 90 mins )) you made some valid points about him being bit  lazy and not helping back when needed.

With some managers they wouldn't like this so yeah you saying lazy valid point. Thing is his finishing more than makes up for his weaknesses. What I espically like about him is how he runs behind defenders, with his pace he can make a decent defender look quite poor such is his class.

The frightening thing for me is that I don't think he's the finished article yet. With the right manager (( not Ole )) he can go on to be world class, arguable some think he's already at that level now.  On 90 mins football your opinion did have foundation.

Quick Reply