Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.9%)
      Ozan Kabak
      25 (36.8%)
      Nat Phillips
      4 (5.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      5 (7.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      16 (23.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2021 09:52:58 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23763 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Apr 07, 2021 01:48:01 pm
      I think the reaction is way over the top for our centre backs

Was scratching my head in amazement too. Think 12 months of Martyn Tyler has started rotting peoples brains.

Far more concerning was the performance of the 8 European Champions on the pitch. First half the front three couldn't trap a bag of cement and the midfield had their deckchairs out.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #645: Apr 07, 2021 01:54:12 pm
      I’m not sure where all the consternation is coming from. I guess a couple years of success has deluded people.

We got this, you have to believe just a little bit. Klopp will not make the same mistakes again and our boys will know what’s at stake.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #646: Apr 07, 2021 02:33:04 pm
      The tie is not over at halftime, but man, basically everyone who played yesterday needs to play better in the 2nd leg if we're going to win this. Other than maybe Kabak i don't think anyone had what you'd consider a good game.

2 changes i think we need to see will be Thiago in midfield and Bobby at CF. If Klopp wants to go 4-2-3-1 then all front 4 can play, but if he goes 4-3-3 then i think Mane needs to make way for Bobby and Jota moves to the left. We need his pressing from the front and put pressure on their CB's and deep lying midfielder to cut their time to pass. We really missed that yesterday and got burned for the first goal as Jota didn't press Kroos at all before launching his pass to Vinicius. With proper press, he probably just makes a pass sideways instead of exploiting the gap between Trent and Nat.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #647: Apr 07, 2021 02:35:50 pm
      Was scratching my head in amazement too. Think 12 months of Martyn Tyler has started rotting peoples brains.

Far more concerning was the performance of the 8 European Champions on the pitch. First half the front three couldn't trap a bag of cement and the midfield had their deckchairs out.

This doesn’t make sense because Tyler shags both Phillips and kabak over the smallest, basic things. They could play a five yard pass and you’ll hear Tyler say kabak did exceptionally well there. It’s embarrassing.

Noticed you quite often put the blame on others rather than just discussing the blatantly obvious errors. Salah has won the European cup but it’s not his fault Phillips can’t deal with a straight long ball over the top or that kabak has no positional awareness.

You were quite vocal about playing two natural centre halves alongside one another and when it went tits up, which it clearly did last night, you blame the other 8 players in the team.

Scratching your head in amazement? Come on. Nobody played well last night and I’m not excusing the other 8, but the two cbs were all over the place so I don’t understand why you’re so amazed at their criticism.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #648: Apr 07, 2021 02:38:30 pm
      Other than maybe Kabak i don't think anyone had what you'd consider a good game.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: F**k me
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #649: Apr 07, 2021 02:43:31 pm

I see a night's rest didn't cure your stupidity. Shame.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #650: Apr 07, 2021 02:54:56 pm
      I see a night's rest didn't cure your stupidity. Shame.

You don’t have much of a football brain if you can’t see the basic errors. You might think you’re great playing football manager and knowing all the names of players who play in Austria and things like that but you clearly don’t understand how to play football.

Kabak, not for the first time, was all over the place last night. Re watch the game, and keep pausing every so often and focus solely on him. If you can’t see the errors then you will continue to talk sh*te. Educate yourself and it might help you understand the game better.

His positioning was a mess all night, not to mention he very nearly gave a penalty away (after his first initial mistake) and he was done on our left hand side because he was so clumsy and they had a big chance which they should have probably scored from but dragged their effort across goal.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #651: Apr 07, 2021 02:55:33 pm
      Ok so we do it the hard way again.

We've all been here before. Prepare your blood pressure for another rollercoaster game next week.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #652: Apr 07, 2021 02:58:07 pm
      You don’t have much of a football brain if you can’t see the basic errors. You might think you’re great playing football manager and knowing all the names of players who play in Austria and things like that but you clearly don’t understand how to play football.

Kabak, not for the first time, was all over the place last night. Re watch the game, and keep pausing every so often and focus solely on him. If you can’t see the errors then you will continue to talk sh*te. Educate yourself and it might help you understand the game better.

His positioning was a mess all night, not to mention he very nearly gave a penalty away (after his first initial mistake) and he was done on our left hand side because he was so clumsy and they had a big chance which they should have probably scored from but dragged their effort across goal.

If it wasn't for Kabak we concede 5 last night easily. Phillips was literally at fault for 2 goals and Trent for another. Ozan made zero errors leading to goals or big chances. He made 2 blocks and 3 interceptions.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #653: Apr 07, 2021 03:03:53 pm
      If it wasn't for Kabak we concede 5 last night easily. Phillips was literally at fault for 2 goals and Trent for another. Ozan made zero errors leading to goals or big chances. He made 2 blocks and 3 interceptions.

Rubbish that. If it wasn’t for kabak and Phillips then we concede one at the very most. Probably none.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #654: Apr 07, 2021 03:14:13 pm

:lmao: only thing missing from your post was to call it soccer.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #655: Apr 07, 2021 03:23:48 pm
      :lmao: only thing missing from your post was to call it soccer.

Didn’t realise you were american mate, explains things better. Naturally you probably won’t fully understand or see some parts of the game. Don’t mean to offend you and apologies if I have.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #656: Apr 07, 2021 04:02:19 pm

Dealt with Benzema very well for at least two if not 3 goalscoring opportunities in the first half.

I'd go as far as saying he was the pick of the defenders.  Especially with him doing the left backs job for him as well.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #657: Apr 07, 2021 04:07:05 pm

One hundred percent agree

The centre backs actually performed to their level which is average and their little errors they make every game was just taken advantage of in this game

What people need to ask was the midfield, full backs and forward line responsible for ensuring they were fully exposed ? The answer is absolutely yes, their team mates made it far more difficult for the cb who need to be protected

I will add our manager in that too, we went way too open in this type of game

As I said before, the only way we were getting a result was by keeping the ball and dominating the midfield which is why I was amazed at the line up...you had to Harry them and make them show their age but instead we did what we did

I felt so down today because what let us down were our main players so to speak not the lower tier premier league players we have at cb

Absolutely playing two natural cb is the way to go but we need to be solid in midfield and keep the pressure off them as much as possible and that’s what cost us yesterday

And I will also
      Keep bringing it up, in what team do you see a player running down his contract being made captain...it doesn’t sit right with me and never will

I hope at home we go

Trent
      Two cb
      Robertson

Fab
      Thiago
      Gini
      Bobby

Salah and jota up top

Almost a 4312

Use our four middle park players against their 3
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #658: Apr 07, 2021 04:41:31 pm

One hundred percent agree

The centre backs actually performed to their level which is average and their little errors they make every game was just taken advantage of in this game

What people need to ask was the midfield, full backs and forward line responsible for ensuring they were fully exposed ? The answer is absolutely yes, their team mates made it far more difficult for the cb who need to be protected

I will add our manager in that too, we went way too open in this type of game

As I said before, the only way we were getting a result was by keeping the ball and dominating the midfield which is why I was amazed at the line up...you had to Harry them and make them show their age but instead we did what we did

This is why when the lineup was announced i was happy to see Keita start. Not just is he great at dribbling and running with the ball, he offers more pressing than Thiago who is just not that type of player and lacks pace. In theory it made sense, but collectively basically everyone played below their level.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #659: Apr 07, 2021 04:53:10 pm
      Rubbish that. If it wasn’t for kabak and Phillips then we concede one at the very most. Probably none.

I agree Phillips isn't good enough at CL level but what other option do we have? Play Fab at CB and get overrun in midfield? We would concede the same amount.

Point is Kabak was not a problem for us last night. Phillips, TAA, and not starting Thiago over Keita were the primary reasons why we conceded 2 early goals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #660: Apr 07, 2021 05:18:43 pm
      I’m not sure where all the consternation is coming from. I guess a couple years of success has deluded people.

We got this, you have to believe just a little bit. Klopp will not make the same mistakes again and our boys will know what’s at stake.

Not without the crowd unfortunately, the atmosphere has always played a part in our Euro comebacks. Just not fancying us this time.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #661: Apr 07, 2021 05:24:30 pm
      I agree Phillips isn't good enough at CL level but what other option do we have? Play Fab at CB and get overrun in midfield? We would concede the same amount.

Point is Kabak was not a problem for us last night. Phillips, TAA, and not starting Thiago over Keita were the primary reasons why we conceded 2 early goals.

He's basically saying if not for Kabak and Phillips we probably win 1-0. That is a shockingly abysmal statement.

It was not Nat's best night, but he didn't get any help from Trent either who should have been closer to him for the first goal, for example. And Firmino, everyone's whipping boy, probably would have pressed Kroos instead of he being able to stand there, look up and time his pass to Vinicius.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #662: Apr 07, 2021 05:30:44 pm
      My opinion hasn't really changed. He's a beast of a player, holds the ball up very well too. His passing not the best but then he's a striker not midfielder. On last nites performance (( 90 mins )) you made some valid points about him being bit  lazy and not helping back when needed.

With some managers they wouldn't like this so yeah you saying lazy valid point. Thing is his finishing more than makes up for his weaknesses. What I espically like about him is how he runs behind defenders, with his pace he can make a decent defender look quite poor such is his class.

The frightening thing for me is that I don't think he's the finished article yet. With the right manager (( not Ole )) he can go on to be world class, arguable some think he's already at that level now.  On 90 mins football your opinion did have foundation.

OK thanks, that's my assessment as well, tonnes of potential but not quite a superstar yet.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #663: Apr 07, 2021 06:08:59 pm
      Apparently some of our players received racist abuse online after the game. I am totally appalled by this, whoever it is, we all have a moan at times about players who we think haven’t played well, but to racially abuse is not what this Club or City is about! Social media need to do something as it’s getting out of hand!
      I am sure the Club will support the players involved. Stand up to racism!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #664: Apr 07, 2021 06:17:24 pm
      Not without the crowd unfortunately, the atmosphere has always played a part in our Euro comebacks.

When do 'beer gardens' open again? ;)
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #665: Apr 07, 2021 06:21:13 pm
      Not without the crowd unfortunately, the atmosphere has always played a part in our Euro comebacks. Just not fancying us this time.

The baseball team in Texas opened their season at almost full capacity with over 38K in attendance out of 40.5K capacity.

There's no reason why we still have to play to an empty stadium, but it requires governments to stop being dickheads.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #666: Apr 07, 2021 07:04:57 pm
      He's basically saying if not for Kabak and Phillips we probably win 1-0. That is a shockingly abysmal statement.

It was not Nat's best night, but he didn't get any help from Trent either who should have been closer to him for the first goal, for example. And Firmino, everyone's whipping boy, probably would have pressed Kroos instead of he being able to stand there, look up and time his pass to Vinicius.

Yea it's a brainless opinion on that game. The way the whole team played we were always going to ship at least a couple of goals but to slate Kabak is just stupid the kid is 20 and was easily one of our better players.

Yup we definitely need Bobby for his pressing in the second leg. Jota Bobby Mo up top. Mane needs benching his form is woeful. At least Bobby's form improved in the last few weeks he should be starting over Mane.

Quick Reply