Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      22 (27.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (8.8%)
      Ozan Kabak
      1 (1.3%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (11.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.8%)
       Fabinho
      7 (8.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (12.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      5 (6.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      15 (18.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (1.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Apr 14, 2021 04:56:53 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15098 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Apr 10, 2021 05:12:05 pm
      Not sure who is want to win now but I suppose we want draws in the other results ?

One of those unfancied Palace peformances were they nick the game 1-0.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Aston Villa
      Reply #415: Apr 10, 2021 05:13:41 pm
      I’ll take that all day long.

We have some soul searching to do before Wednesday.

Too late. We are what we are at this point. Jürgen cannot change the system anymore (to a deeper approach with more heavy metal offense like before 2019 which would have done better). We won't get into the CL semifinal (not with this team and this system and with Real just sitting and wait to counter attack) but we have a shot at Top 4 though I don't see it either since we will lose a fair amount of points till game day 38. But as a fan you can always hope!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #416: Apr 10, 2021 05:13:52 pm
      Had very little hope about finishing in the top four but winning 3 on the bounce has given us half a chance at least.

Might need at least five wins though from the last seven.

Performance was okay first half.  Good start to second half and then really tailed off after we scored the legal equaliser.

Kept their heads up in injury time and thought we were the better of the two teams.

Not as good as last weekend, but better than midweek.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #417: Apr 10, 2021 05:14:51 pm
      Had very little hope about finishing in the top four but winning 3 on the bounce has given us half a chance at least.

Might need at least five wins though from the last seven.

Performance was okay first half.  Good start to second half and then really tailed off after we scored the legal equaliser.

Kept their heads up in injury time and thought we were the better of the two teams.

Not as good as last weekend, but better than midweek.

3 wins on the trot is huge for us, honestly it’s a massive win
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #418: Apr 10, 2021 05:17:33 pm
      Another strange performance. In possession we actually played ok, right up until our equaliser (which obviously should have been our 2nd goal, without VAR's usual bollocks). But as soon as that went in, instead of getting encouraged, we got cold feet and went almost back to our first half against Real Madrid - giving the ball away, nobody taking responsibility. Did not look like we were going to win it, but great strike by Trent (who had a really mixed game).

We should have won the game based on our first hour of play, but in the end it feels we were lucky to win it. Happy to take it. Hopefully it will breed some confidence, cos the belief and conviction are still obviously at pretty low levels in the team.

Robbo MOTM for me, thought he was excellent. Fab and Jota were good too.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #419: Apr 10, 2021 05:28:14 pm
      We are going to have to win 6 out the last 7 I reckon
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #420: Apr 10, 2021 05:28:55 pm
      Another strange performance. In possession we actually played ok, right up until our equaliser (which obviously should have been our 2nd goal, without VAR's usual bollocks). But as soon as that went in, instead of getting encouraged, we got cold feet and went almost back to our first half against Real Madrid - giving the ball away, nobody taking responsibility. Did not look like we were going to win it, but great strike by Trent (who had a really mixed game).

We should have won the game based on our first hour of play, but in the end it feels we were lucky to win it. Happy to take it. Hopefully it will breed some confidence, cos the belief and conviction are still obviously at pretty low levels in the team.

Robbo MOTM for me, thought he was excellent. Fab and Jota were good too.

This mirrors where I am. I don't under the "sh*te performance" comments. We were quite good in the first half and the beginning of the 2nd, just had no luck in front of goal and someone please tell me how Jota is offside on Bobby's goal. All I saw behind the VAR line was his forearm, yes?

We did fade in the 2nd half and it was good to sub off Gini, who I've defended over the years, Thiago added some fight and could well have scored a great winner himself but for the big save just before Trent gave us all a moment to remember.

Some of you have gotten in the habit of seeing things in the worst possible light. It would have been unfair for us not to get the three points today and thankfully we managed to earn them.

Top 4 fight is ON.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #421: Apr 10, 2021 05:41:05 pm
      Just got in from work and seen the score. Knew it would be a close one, but sounds like a right ding dong. 3
      Points though !
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #422: Apr 10, 2021 05:42:12 pm
      One of those unfancied Palace peformances were they nick the game 1-0.

Not looking likely
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #423: Apr 10, 2021 05:42:30 pm
      This mirrors where I am. I don't under the "sh*te performance" comments. We were quite good in the first half and the beginning of the 2nd, just had no luck in front of goal and someone please tell me how Jota is offside on Bobby's goal. All I saw behind the VAR line was his forearm, yes?

We did fade in the 2nd half and it was good to sub off Gini, who I've defended over the years, Thiago added some fight and could well have scored a great winner himself but for the big save just before Trent gave us all a moment to remember.

Some of you have gotten in the habit of seeing things in the worst possible light. It would have been unfair for us not to get the three points today and thankfully we managed to earn them.

Top 4 fight is ON.

Yep. People are seeing nothing but negatives, but the reality is we are playing ok for parts of games and playing sh*te for other parts of the same game. We are Jekyll and Hyde from one half to the next at the minute. Even against Real, we played pretty well second half. Having played like a pub team in the first half. We are wrestling with some kind of inner demons as a team at the minute. Hopefully we can exorcise them in midweek.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #424: Apr 10, 2021 05:49:44 pm
      I'll take the 3 points but the victory doesn't paper over the cracks.  Still, the guys didn't give up and kept going for the win.  MOM by a country mile was their goalie. 

Along with Podence last night, that's two of the worst VAR decisions I've seen. 

Klopp needs to sort out his selection and subs for Wednesday.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 65 
      Reply #425: Apr 10, 2021 05:55:43 pm
      Massive win and a great finish from Trent .  Must admit after they disallowed that goal I thought we were going to struggle to get back into this one .
      Just shows what effort and driving forward can do rather than sideways and backwards passing that goes nowhere .
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #426: Apr 10, 2021 06:07:00 pm
      In a season of small victories, can we finish above the blue boys?

I bl**dy well hope so, depending on which Blue boys you mean, we’ll never, ever hear the end of it!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #427: Apr 10, 2021 06:32:32 pm
      Not great but worth the win in the end. What a difference a win makes to the wee8
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #428: Apr 10, 2021 06:48:38 pm
      Well done boys!
      We got there but made hard work of it, didn't we?
      Isn't it mad how we get into the final third and then every pass or shot gets blocked somehow? At one point it felt like a curse.
      It's all a bit slow and steady, still.  Thought I heard Jürgen shout at Gini 2nd half, after he dwelt on it and got dispossessed when forward passes were on, sounded like "What's the matter with you?!" 

MotM for me was James Milner.  Thought he put a proper shift in and protected TAA superbly, letting him attack more freely.  He may have been the telling omission against Real last week.

Var can seriously disappear up its own arse.  What a pathetic decision to rule out Bobby's goal.  I'm sure the dick at Stockley Park was looking for a way to make it offside.  Why not just say, if you feel the need to draw a bl**dy line, call it ONSIDE.  It's beyond ridiculous!

Weird how I feel no more than relief after that win.  How far we are from last season.  Time to cheer up I reckon. 

verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #429: Apr 10, 2021 06:49:44 pm
      Leeds next in the league but it’s away and we seem we play better away not going to stress about it
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #430: Apr 10, 2021 06:51:12 pm
      Chelski 3 - 0 up against Palace.

I seem to remember Palace have a history of coming back from 3 - 0 down, don't they?!
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #431: Apr 10, 2021 06:52:47 pm
      Chelski 3 - 0 up against Palace.

I seem to remember Palace have a history of coming back from 3 - 0 down, don't they?!

At this stage, we just need to worry about our play, yeah, I’m trying not to watch this game too!!

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #432: Apr 10, 2021 06:53:46 pm
      Leeds next in the league but it’s away and we seem we play better away not going to stress about it

Leeds  played well against city today. They play proper football, should be a good game. The counter very well in my opinion.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #433: Apr 10, 2021 07:08:11 pm
      Just glad of the three points today. Still confident of making top 4.
      Will comment more after motd, and leave my motm until after that.
      Just made up
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #434: Apr 10, 2021 07:09:22 pm
      Didn’t get to watch it. Was out and about with the wee ones at a local nature park.
      But just caught up by reading through the match thread here.
      Sounds like a fairly even game with a dubious goal disallowed.

A win is a win though. Hopefully give us a bit of confidence for Madrid.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #435: Apr 10, 2021 07:39:07 pm
      Last gasp win seemingly, but a win is a win. This gave me my first seven pointer for a while, but more importantly a win for the Reds. It seems we must play all remaining games, like a cup final, starting against Real Madrid next week, to see where we can end up, in a disappointing season to say the least.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #436: Apr 10, 2021 07:44:19 pm
      Trent has defensive weaknesses but is still very young lots of time to iron those out.

However he has a right foot from the gods and is a match winner so has to start every game.

I think Trent should/will be moved further forward as i don't think he's that great as a defender and is caught out of position so many times which costs us,teams are now targeting the right back and it's now a major weakness in our team.Madrid will beat us again if Jürgen doesn't find a solution on Wednesday as they tore TAA a new one on Tuesday.

Quick Reply