Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      22 (27.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (8.8%)
      Ozan Kabak
      1 (1.3%)
      Nat Phillips
      9 (11.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.8%)
       Fabinho
      7 (8.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (12.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      5 (6.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      15 (18.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (1.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Apr 14, 2021 04:56:53 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15096 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Apr 11, 2021 12:29:39 pm
      Despite the amount of possession we had we still looked nervous and unsure a lot of the time when we actually had the ball.
      It was almost inevitable that villa would score when they did as they had started to pop a few shots and put a couple of moves together.

I have to say though, our midfield these days is woeful. Soon as I saw Milner and Winyaldum on the team sheet and no Thiago I knew we were in for another slow possessive build up game.
      Jota and Mo are starved of any forward passing because the midfield is far more obsessed in playing it back to the two centre halves , who in turn play it to Fabinho, who will then play it out to the full backs.

Fantastic goal to win it from Trent, best thing he did all afternoon.

Bobby looked sharp which was nice to see for a change.

I had us down for 3-1... Mane should’ve buried that one on one with seconds to go !! Thanks Sadio !!

3 very valuable points !!!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #461: Apr 11, 2021 03:25:50 pm
      Where would we be without Salah?

A lot worse off. I don’t get how after all he’s achieved with us, scored bags of goals, people still don’t appreciate him seemingly...

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #462: Apr 12, 2021 05:13:48 am
      I keep saying the priority for next season should be a goal scoring No 9.

Has to be and fkn deadly and clinical!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #463: Apr 12, 2021 07:04:26 am
      What a win and it was needed for the team so to be able to focus solely on Wednesday.

What a strike from Trent. Robertson has improved a lot too.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #464: Apr 12, 2021 01:05:17 pm
      After our poor result against Madrid, this fixture became even more important and that was a big, big win. Our top four hopes are very much alive.

It wasn’t pretty at times but I still thought we were much the better team and deserved the three points. I’ve enjoyed watching Villa at times this season but they can f**k off after that. Horrible time wasting cheating sh*t accent dick heads.

Alisson. He made a few saves look simple and straight forward but they were still good strikes on goal that he dealt with well. Distribution was mostly good. Could have done better for their goal but they should never have had a shot in the first place.

Trent. I’ve defended Trent all season and then yesterday I thought he was abysmal for large parts. Until he goes and fires that rocket in at the end. Unreal strike and such a huge goal for us. Motm for that alone.

Phillips. He had a shocker in Madrid but bounced back well against Villa. Thought he was solid throughout and won every dual.

Kabak. Had one thing to do all game and got it wrong. After the Madrid game I highlighted how poor his positioning was and it was the same for villas goal. Tried to sneak infront of his man to win the ball  but then got caught out as a result. Poor. And against good teams we will just keep conceding from it. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Klopp has subbed him two games in a row and put Fabinho into the back four to bring a more attacking player on. What I mean is, he clearly see’s kabak as the weaker or the two between him and Phillips.

Robertson. Thought he had a much better game and got forward a lot more.

Fabinho. His presence is always felt in the midfield and we’ve badly missed him in there this season. Another good game and he’s our player of the season in my opinion.

Milner. We all know what we get with milner. He’s an honest player who wears his heart on his sleeve but he’s not particularly talented and I think it showed at times yesterday.

Gini. I’ve given up on Gini and barely notice when he plays these days to be honest. Can’t think of anything he did of note yesterday.

Jota. He’s our best attacker at the moment. He’s not as gifted as the other three but he’s lively and he makes things happen. I feel like he will always have 3 or 4 chances per game and he’s likely to take one.

Firmino. Like Robbo I thought he was much better. Games pass him by these days but he was much more involved.

Salah. Great follow up to score our equaliser which was a very important goal. Even when salah has a quiet game he still has an impact somewhere and that’s what happened yesterday pretty much.

Thiago and shaqiri didn’t have much time to make an impact, especially shaq. Mane on the other hand looks finished to me. Hope I’m wrong because he’s been my favourite player in the last season or two but he’s nowhere near the level he was at.

Really big win at a time when we can’t afford to drop points. United aside, we have a relatively simple run in whereas most of our rivals have tricky ones. Not sure on what I want to happen today. Makes me sick saying it but I hope united beat spurs. I suppose I’d want Leicester to beat West Ham too but that would mean only fourth spot is up for grabs. If West Ham get a win then it drags Leicester back in with the rest of us so it could be a good thing.

Anyway well done reds. We move on to Wednesday.

Always spot on analysis
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #465: Apr 12, 2021 01:20:15 pm

Trent. I’ve defended Trent all season and then yesterday I thought he was abysmal for large parts. Until he goes and fires that rocket in at the end. Unreal strike and such a huge goal for us. Motm for that alone.

Kabak. Had one thing to do all game and got it wrong. After the Madrid game I highlighted how poor his positioning was and it was the same for villas goal. Tried to sneak infront of his man to win the ball  but then got caught out as a result. Poor. And against good teams we will just keep conceding from it. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Klopp has subbed him two games in a row and put Fabinho into the back four to bring a more attacking player on. What I mean is, he clearly see’s kabak as the weaker or the two between him and Phillips.

I agree with most of that except these two. Trent didn't have a brilliant game (not sure anyone did), but he was solid enough defensively - one dodgy tackle in the box which he got a bit lucky with aside - and was involved in most of what we did well going forwards. He picked some good passes between the lines, sent Jota through for the 'goal', and obviously stepped up with the strike at the end. Overall thought he was decent throughout, with one exceptional moment, so don't agree at all he was abysmal.

On watching initially I did think Kabak had sold himself a little, but if you look again Milner has just given the ball away, and Kabak just can't let the Villa player take the ball without a contest, so goes to win it. He's a little unfortunate his interception doesn't go straight to Fab (like his header from the first long ball), but once Douglas Luiz picks it up, I think Gini and Fab both get beaten too easily, and suddenly you have Villa midfielders attacking our box without any of our own midfield to shield them. At the point that McGinn has the ball outside our box, without a midfielder between him and our back line, we're in real trouble. Decent pass, and then a shot Ali should really save. All in all I'm not sure Kabak should be singled out for that goal, just felt like a combination of errors, particularly a lack of protection from the midfield, and then Ali fluffing the save.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #466: Apr 12, 2021 01:53:14 pm
      I agree with most of that except these two. Trent didn't have a brilliant game (not sure anyone did), but he was solid enough defensively - one dodgy tackle in the box which he got a bit lucky with aside - and was involved in most of what we did well going forwards. He picked some good passes between the lines, sent Jota through for the 'goal', and obviously stepped up with the strike at the end. Overall thought he was decent throughout, with one exceptional moment, so don't agree at all he was abysmal.

On watching initially I did think Kabak had sold himself a little, but if you look again Milner has just given the ball away, and Kabak just can't let the Villa player take the ball without a contest, so goes to win it. He's a little unfortunate his interception doesn't go straight to Fab (like his header from the first long ball), but once Douglas Luiz picks it up, I think Gini and Fab both get beaten too easily, and suddenly you have Villa midfielders attacking our box without any of our own midfield to shield them. At the point that McGinn has the ball outside our box, without a midfielder between him and our back line, we're in real trouble. Decent pass, and then a shot Ali should really save. All in all I'm not sure Kabak should be singled out for that goal, just felt like a combination of errors, particularly a lack of protection from the midfield, and then Ali fluffing the save.

Eh, it's all about predictability now. There are things you can take as certain on this board: Stuey will blame FSG for everything and Hamanns will blame Philipps and Kabak for everything.

It doesn't matter what they do. We have built Champions of Everything and Stuey will deflect credit and assign blame. We can have a clean sheet and Hamanns will go on his video recording and look at it frame by frame whenever the ball is near Kabak or Phillips. "Ah ha, his foot should be 6 inches to the right at a 45 degree angle. If he had it there, Alisson would not have let that goal in"
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #467: Apr 12, 2021 02:12:37 pm

His pass to Jota for the disallowed goal was lovely but it was poor defending in truth and it should have been a straight forward clearance. In general, I thought he was poor against Villa and just had one of those type of games where nothing went right for him.

It’s very rare that just one player is solely responsible for a goal. There is always a collection of things I agree. But usually players are at more blame for some reason.

I’ll start with milner. You’re correct that he gives the ball away but at that point the ball is on the halfway line and there is no immediate danger. So his part in their goal is very little.

Kabak then makes his first mistake. He try’s to win the ball by going round to the left of his man which means he is no longer goal side of him. I’m not quite sure why he went to win the ball there either. Again, there is no real danger and he can just get tight to his man so he can’t turn and hold him up. There’s no reason to dive in there.

Kabak half wins the ball but it falls straight to Villa. Gini is the wrong side of his man at that point so his only option is to give a foul away which he chooses not to (I think he should have). By the time Fabinho comes over the ball is already passed on so he can’t make a challenge.

While this is going on, kabak is ball watching and Watkins is a yard ahead of him at all times until Watkins receives the ball (so kabak is very slow getting back in and still isn’t goal side of Watkins). Watkins takes a touch and shoots but it’s too late for kabak to get a challenge in and the shot goes past ali who I think would normally save it but we can’t rely on him to bail us out every time. I don’t think it was great goalkeeping by any means but I also think it’s unfair to lie any blame on him for it too. We didn’t concede that goal because of ali, we conceded it because of poor defending.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #468: Apr 12, 2021 02:13:38 pm
      Eh, it's all about predictability now. There are things you can take as certain on this board: Stuey will blame FSG for everything and Hamanns will blame Philipps and Kabak for everything.

It doesn't matter what they do. We have built Champions of Everything and Stuey will deflect credit and assign blame. We can have a clean sheet and Hamanns will go on his video recording and look at it frame by frame whenever the ball is near Kabak or Phillips. "Ah ha, his foot should be 6 inches to the right at a 45 degree angle. If he had it there, Alisson would not have let that goal in"

You’re a wool who has never played football and it clearly shows.

And for the record I’ve praised Phillips highly after his performance v Villa. He didn’t put a foot wrong.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #469: Apr 12, 2021 02:45:39 pm
      You’re a wool who has never played football and it clearly shows.

And for the record I’ve praised Phillips highly after his performance v Villa. He didn’t put a foot wrong.

Ah yes, the internet experts. Never fails.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #470: Apr 12, 2021 02:57:13 pm
      His pass to Jota for the disallowed goal was lovely but it was poor defending in truth and it should have been a straight forward clearance. In general, I thought he was poor against Villa and just had one of those type of games where nothing went right for him.

It’s very rare that just one player is solely responsible for a goal. There is always a collection of things I agree. But usually players are at more blame for some reason.

I’ll start with milner. You’re correct that he gives the ball away but at that point the ball is on the halfway line and there is no immediate danger. So his part in their goal is very little.

Kabak then makes his first mistake. He try’s to win the ball by going round to the left of his man which means he is no longer goal side of him. I’m not quite sure why he went to win the ball there either. Again, there is no real danger and he can just get tight to his man so he can’t turn and hold him up. There’s no reason to dive in there.

Kabak half wins the ball but it falls straight to Villa. Gini is the wrong side of his man at that point so his only option is to give a foul away which he chooses not to (I think he should have). By the time Fabinho comes over the ball is already passed on so he can’t make a challenge.

While this is going on, kabak is ball watching and Watkins is a yard ahead of him at all times until Watkins receives the ball (so kabak is very slow getting back in and still isn’t goal side of Watkins). Watkins takes a touch and shoots but it’s too late for kabak to get a challenge in and the shot goes past ali who I think would normally save it but we can’t rely on him to bail us out every time. I don’t think it was great goalkeeping by any means but I also think it’s unfair to lie any blame on him for it too. We didn’t concede that goal because of ali, we conceded it because of poor defending.

I'd agree we concede due to poor defending, but I think it's much more of a collective thing in this case, and it's unfair to single out Kabak and absolve the others. For me, Milner giving the ball away as he does is really poor, there's a simple pass to Jota on, or he needs to be more accurate into Bobby. I would agree that Kabak appears to be a little slow to push back up once he's won the header and Fab passes it wide to Milner, but I'm still not sure he shouldn't go and try and win the ball there when it comes back from Mings, as Watkins looks like he's ready to turn and get 1 on 1 if he's allowed to control the ball without a challenge. It feels like we instruct our CB's to try and aggressively win the ball back in situations like that. Looking at it again a bit more slowly, it's as this point Kabak makes his biggest errror (IMO, anyway) and as you say he's ball watching, and allows Watkins too much time to get into position. By the time Luiz beats Gini/Fab and finds McGinn (also agree Gini should have fouled him there), Kabak is reacting too late and can't get over to block the shot. So yeah, he's not covered himself in glory but I really think Milner, Fab and Ali in particular all had as much of a part to play in how easily we've given that goal up. Yes, you can't blame Ali for the build up, but nor can you defend every single situation 100% perfectly, sometimes you need your keeper to make a good save, and to be honest, I don't think that would have even been a particularly good save.

Put it this way, I think when the players went over that in post game analysis it definitely wasn't JUST Kabak who had some things to think about.

We could discuss it to death, but luckily we're doing a post morterm on a goal against us after a win, which is nice at least!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #471: Apr 12, 2021 03:00:16 pm
      Ah yes, the internet experts. Never fails.

No expert, just a very good knowledge of football from playing at a good level and coaching at a good level too.

No problem with you disagreeing on the players you like who I don’t and vice versa, or tactics, formations and so on and so on.

But it seems you don’t understand basic positioning and you defend players who have gotten it wrong. There’s no debate about it, it’s fact, yet you still argue the toss.

That tells me you don’t quite understand that part of the game yet. Which is fine, I wouldn’t expect you to being from America. I said it the other day I’m not meaning to offend or insult you by saying that so I hope I don’t and I apologise if I have. But people who have played the game or watched it closely and regularly for many years will have a better understanding of things like that.

There’s a lot more to football than just picking your favourite players for a team sheet.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #472: Apr 12, 2021 03:04:46 pm
      that was boss. love a late win.
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #473: Apr 12, 2021 03:31:37 pm
      An awful team performance, however, the 3 points were the best outcome after a wonderful goal by Trent who played very well along with Phillips, Thiago, Robo, Jota and Salah (who I am never keen on him!). The weird manager selection of three holding midfield players and without any creativity has resulted in the team struggling badly.
      The sh*t list starts with the doggy Keeper, Firmino, Kabak, and Gini.

Just looking at the scums yesterday, you just wonder how the nutcase team will deal with their challenge along with M.City, and Chelsea next season, No chance in hell as long as this wired manager remains in charge, I hope not
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #474: Apr 12, 2021 03:59:29 pm
      Any chance of F***ing this WUM off?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #475: Apr 12, 2021 04:26:24 pm
      An awful team performance, however, the 3 points were the best outcome after a wonderful goal by Trent who played very well along with Phillips, Thiago, Robo, Jota and Salah (who I am never keen on him!). The weird manager selection of three holding midfield players and without any creativity has resulted in the team struggling badly.

Just looking at the scums yesterday, you just wonder how the nutcase team will deal with their challenge along with M.City, and Chelsea next season, No chance in hell as long as this wired manager remains in charge, I hope not

😂
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #476: Apr 12, 2021 08:28:07 pm

Honestly how the F**k haven't you been banned yet? :D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #477: Apr 12, 2021 09:06:56 pm

Few and far between this season, really was amazing
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #478: Apr 12, 2021 09:21:11 pm
      Honestly how the f**k haven't you been banned yet? :D

Mods here are pretty clueless.

Apparently Jurgenabelieveus got banned for an "offensive PM" that hurt someone's feelings, but Brown1 can post garbage after garbage and nothing happens to him/her/it.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #479: Apr 12, 2021 10:40:57 pm

This showreel makes Trent look £150m!

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1381635416290385920?s=21
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #480: Apr 13, 2021 10:07:02 am

Naa Trent was F***ing awful too you blind c**t.

Oops probably get a ban now.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #481: Apr 13, 2021 12:30:57 pm

Brown, as in Sh##...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #482: Apr 14, 2021 04:29:15 pm
      Few and far between this season, really was amazing

yup.

Quick Reply