Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Xabi Alonso (Atletico Madrid)

Read 3353 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Xabi Alonso (Atletico Madrid)
      Nov 25, 2007 12:21:08 pm
      FFS it never rains but it pours eh.

From Setanta

With Rafa Benitez and his American bosses in the midst of a major diplomatic incident at Liverpool, Xabi Alonso has done little to ease the worries of his Spanish boss by refusing to rule out a return to his homeland, amid speculation of interest from Atletico Madrid.

Alonso has been lavished with praise since his move to The Premier League from Real Sociedad, but has endured an injury-ravaged season during the current campaign and is currently out with a foot injury.

With Benitez seeking the permanent signature of Argentina international Javier Mascherano, and with Steven Gerrard now seemingly back in his preferred role in the centre of midfield, Alonso’s place in the team is far from guaranteed.

“I have heard about the rumours involving Atletico and maybe Barcelona too, but formally, I know nothing,” he told the News of the World, before apparently side-stepping the issue.

“My objective is to be 100 percent fit for the decisive moments to come in both The Premier League and Champions League.

“I also want to play for Spain at Euro 2008, so I want to get the necessary minutes on the field.”

Atletico coach Javier Aguirre confirmed that Alonso, who is contracted to Liverpool until 2012, is a player he greatly admires.

“Alonso is a big player and very important to any team because he helps defenders also links with the attack.

“Today this type of player is almost unique and very valuable for a club.”
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2007 07:09:44 pm
      Please. God. No.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2007 07:12:25 pm
      ah Xabi please just tell the press your staying get them off our back for a minute christ who next Gerrard to Madrid??   
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2007 07:17:56 pm
      He told the News Of The World? Must be true then.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2007 07:29:20 pm
      Why would the players talk to rags like that surely a club spokesperson should advise them not to talk to them jaysus sake
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2007 08:02:33 pm
      Wouldn't believe this crap from a down market rag,if the issues with Rafa continue,every Spanish player at the club will be linked with a move away.Just idle speculation.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #6: Nov 26, 2007 12:38:54 am
      I wouldn't mind selling Xabi...If Aguero came  back this aways. :P
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #7: Nov 26, 2007 01:17:50 am
      I wouldn't mind selling Xabi...If Aguero came  back this aways. :P

Totally disagree mate. Xabi would be one of the last players I would sell if I had anything to do with it. I also feel that Rafa see's Xabi as one of the 'senior' players at the club. As I said in a thread a few months back I only can see Xabi leave if his heart isn't in the club anymore and I don't think this is the case.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 26, 2007 04:25:33 pm
      Xabi is a big player for us and we do miss him.I don't see Rafa letting him go as he is part of the spine of the team.

EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #9: Nov 26, 2007 07:26:57 pm
      He told the News Of The World? Must be true then.

Exactly my thoughts mate.

The press are very good at twisting things, Xabi's comment was very likely followed by something along the lines of 'but I'm very happy at Liverpool and have no plans to move' but that wouldn't make an interesting story.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Nov 27, 2007 04:20:57 am
      Look how we struggled while he wasnt here, i wouldnt sell him to anyone unless as srslfc said, his heart isnt in the team. If any midfielder were to go in January it would  be Momo and good riddens.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2007 02:11:48 pm
      alonso is just the type of player we are sorely missing at this point in time.

against porto, and many other teams we struggle at times to keep the ball and keep it on the deck,
      especially with gerrard and masher in centre midfield.

as good as i think gerrard is, he is not the best at keeping possesion and playing keep ball,
      (its not part of the english players physche, hence why england struggle so much against technical teams.)

granted, we are winning games and scoring goals, but some of build-up and posession is woeful.

we were quite good at newcastle and you can only beat whats in front of you etc, but the truth is newcastle did not turn up and my sunday 11 would've beaten them on that day !

players like alonso on the other can do all of this and 'knit' the midfield and the build-up play together with long spells of posession and short passes. this in turn frees gerrard of his defensive shackles - sometimes we are badly exposed by him running everywhere in centre mid.

these types of players are everywhere and at all the top clubs -
      also see: the way arsenal play, paul scholes, andrea pirlo, xavi hernandez at barca ,fabregas , essien, carrick, mikel

i could go on and on but we need this type of player - arsenal have loads of them, that is wengers way, and also why they are doing so well and playing people off the park !

for this reason we cannot lose, without replacing, xavi alonso.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 02:14:50 pm by marcuk03 »
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2007 04:21:09 pm
      alonso is just the type of player we are sorely missing at this point in time.

against porto, and many other teams we struggle at times to keep the ball and keep it on the deck,
      especially with gerrard and masher in centre midfield.

as good as I think gerrard is, he is not the best at keeping possesion and playing keep ball,
      (its not part of the english players physche, hence why england struggle so much against technical teams.)

granted, we are winning games and scoring goals, but some of build-up and posession is woeful.

we were quite good at newcastle and you can only beat whats in front of you etc, but the truth is newcastle did not turn up and my sunday 11 would've beaten them on that day !

players like alonso on the other can do all of this and 'knit' the midfield and the build-up play together with long spells of posession and short passes. this in turn frees gerrard of his defensive shackles - sometimes we are badly exposed by him running everywhere in centre mid.

these types of players are everywhere and at all the top clubs -
      also see: the way arsenal play, paul scholes, andrea pirlo, xavi hernandez at barca ,fabregas , essien, carrick, mikel

I could go on and on but we need this type of player - arsenal have loads of them, that is wengers way, and also why they are doing so well and playing people off the park !

for this reason we cannot lose, without replacing, xavi alonso.

spot on.

Look at the Arsenal game, when Alonso went off we were under major pressure since Gerrard was dropping off, leaving a gap for the likes of rosicky and fabregas to exploit.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2007 04:28:39 pm
      yes agreed and another reason why i think we look much much stronger with xavi and masher in the middle and steve g on the right. 

much more control of the ball and solidity with stevie free to roam the savannah !
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2007 04:42:14 pm
      To be honest the players we have suit the 451/433 that Chelsea won the prem with. Masch and alonso deep, gerrard forward, torres up front then kuyt/babel/kewell/pennant on the flanks.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #15: Dec 23, 2007 07:17:36 am
      To be honest the players we have suit the 451/433 that Chelsea won the prem with. Masch and alonso deep, gerrard forward, torres up front then kuyt/babel/kewell/pennant on the flanks.

Yeh I wouldn't mind that.
      We could do with Fabregas :)
      AggerDoo
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2007 11:27:28 am
      Real Madrid offer Baptista, Heinze for Liverpool's Xabi

Real Madrid are ready to discuss a swap deal with Liverpool over the sale of former Manchester United fullback Gabriel Heinze.

The People says Real want to talk to the Merseysiders about a deal to take Spaniard Xabi Alonso home and will use former Manchester United left-back Heinze or striker Julio Baptista - or both - as bait.

Rafa Benitez has tracked Argentina defender Heinze since it became apparent he wanted out of United in the summer.

Heinze alone would not be enough for Benitez to do business, but the addition of Baptista would tempt him.

Baptista, who spent last season on loan at Arsenal, has just reclaimed his spot in the Real starting line-up and scored a wonder goal against archrivals Barcelona last week.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #17: Dec 31, 2007 12:05:21 pm
      Do you have a source for the story?

Personally I cant see why we would want to swap Xabi for a 29 year old defender and the Brazilian "Steven Gerrard" as he was labelled, when he couldn't cut the mustard at Arsenal.

I would love to add Heinze to our squad but not at the expense of Xabi, as for the beast he certainly didn't impress while at Arsenal, He had one decent game and unfortunately it was against us in The Carling Cup.

So thanks but no thanks Real
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #18: Dec 31, 2007 12:12:47 pm
      It has been romoured before that Xabi is leaving and it never has happened. He is a world class player and one of the best passers in the game so ofcourse teams will be interested.
      AggerDoo
      Reply #19: Dec 31, 2007 01:43:23 pm
      Yeah i wouldnt want Xabi to leave he is world class and adds control and calmness to the midfield.

It is from the newspaper The People not the most reliant but thought i would just say
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2007 03:38:18 pm
      No chance. Our best passer in my opinion for a 29 yr old CB and a guy who couldnt cut it in the league before with the team that best suits him. Sorry Real, maybe Sergio Ramos and another player may tempt the deal :D

Quick Reply