Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Reds pair to get World Cup medals

Read 1284 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reds pair to get World Cup medals
      Nov 26, 2007 01:19:38 pm
      Will we see the like again in our lifetime...?

REDS PAIR TO GET WORLD CUP MEDALS

Jimmy Rice 26 November 2007

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157809071126-1222.htm

Two Anfield greats are to receive World Cup medals after FIFA ruled non-playing members of the 1966 squad should be recognised.

Ian Callaghan and Gerry Byrne are among 11 players who'll get retrospective medals.

The move by world football's governing body follows calls from the FA and 2018 World Cup bid ambassador Richard Caborn.

Every finalist between 1930 and 1974 will be rewarded, with a medal going to the families of those who have died.

"It's justice for all those players," said Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

"Richard Caborn brought it up by saying it's not right that only the 11 players got a medal.

"I believe that is right. We will go through our history records and reproduce medals, and we will give those medals to all those who have been in the squad and not just those who were on the field of play."

Apart from the 11 members of England's 1966 squad who did not play in the final, the decision means Brazil legend Pele will receive a third winners' medal to go with those for the 1958 and 1970 tournaments, having missed the 1962 final because of injury.

Caborn, who will ask Blatter to present the medals to the surviving England squad members at Wembley Stadium, said: "It's great news.

"I really welcome this for the England players, and I'm pleased too that it means Pele will get a third gold medal.

"I am going to ask Mr Blatter to give the medals at a special presentation ceremony at the new Wembley Stadium."

The England players set to receive medals:

Jimmy Greaves (Tottenham)
      Jimmy Armfield (Blackpool)
      Peter Bonetti (Chelsea)
      John Connolly (Manchester United)
      Ron Springett (Sheffield Wednesday)
      Gerry Byrne (Liverpool)
      Ron Flowers (Wolves)
      Norman Hunter (Leeds)
      Terry Paine (Southampton)
      Ian Callaghan (Liverpool)
      George Eastham (Arsenal)

Byrne was a full-back who made 329 appearances for the Reds and earned two England caps.

Midfielder Callaghan is Liverpool's record appearance holder with 859 games to his name. He made four international appearances.
      « Last Edit: Nov 26, 2007 01:23:18 pm by DM Osbon »
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Reds pair to get World Cup medals
      Reply #1: Nov 26, 2007 01:44:54 pm
      Timely move eventhough it came many years later.

As a matter of fact every player that takes part in future tournaments should get a medal. Those who did not make it to the 2nd round will get preliminary round medals while those who make it to the 2nd round and not any further would get 2nd round medals and not the preliminary round medals, so on and so forth until the final. This will give the players a chance to show off to their loved ones in many years to come that they have participated in the most prestigious tournament eventhough they did not end up as world champions and they were the cream of the world players then. At least those who participated would have something to show off to their children or grandchildren or as a remembrance in years to come. I'm sure FIFA is rich enough to produce those medals.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Nov 26, 2007 01:49:04 pm
      That's fantastic news.

But my only question is, why so late?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Nov 26, 2007 08:56:29 pm
      Better late than never.

I completely agree with the decision.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Nov 26, 2007 09:05:01 pm
      Did England actually win the world cup?? Wow I had no idea and really hadnt noticed!!

About time to be honest but the same with all things, perhaps the goverment will now reconsider and give Bob Paisley a postumous Knighthood ... I mean if its good enough for the goose its gotta be good enough for the gander hey!!
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #5: Dec 08, 2007 11:21:08 am
      thats brilliant and its good for the polayers and lfc. why has it been so long though?i though it might have been done a bit quicker.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Dec 09, 2007 03:28:47 am
      Perhaps the goverment will now reconsider and give Bob Paisley a postumous Knighthood

Highly doubt it. B*stards.

Quick Reply