Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre Match : Liverpool vs Real Madrid UCL Quarter Final Second Leg April 14th

Read 7301 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Re: Pre Match : Liverpool vs Real Madrid UCL Quarter Final Second Leg April 14th
      Reply #46: Apr 12, 2021 10:57:05 pm
      I’m not sure why my post is the first one, and not sure how I’m marked as the thread starter (I didn’t start this topic) but if (when) we win you know I’m taking credit.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Re: Pre Match : Liverpool vs Real Madrid UCL Quarter Final Second Leg April 14th
      Reply #47: Apr 12, 2021 11:07:42 pm
      It would be brilliant to see the lads turn this tie around, it is just a pity the full might of the kop, will not be behind the team, on this special night
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #48: Apr 13, 2021 06:31:22 am
      We will need Sadio to bounce back to form and early on in the game.

With no fans there will be no emotion for the players to feed on, no atmosphere to sh*t up Madrid.

This eventually will go to purely the best side over the 2 legs and Madrid hold all the cards now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #49: Apr 13, 2021 08:16:34 am
      I can’t see us winning without the fans unfortunately. However you just never know!

2-0 does it 🙌🙏
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #50: Apr 13, 2021 08:49:25 am
      I can’t see us winning without the fans unfortunately. However you just never know!

2-0 does it 🙌🙏

Holy sh*t,so negative.If your off work today watch the Milan 2005 game and the 2019 Barca second leg.FFS we are Liverpool and we are European Royalty along side Madrid,Milan and Bayern,Jürgen's the best manager in the world and will tell every player to leave everything on the pitch,Yes there are no fans but that shouldn't take away their passion and motivation as a sportsmen to want to win.There could be 7 of the team playing against Madrid on Wednesday that played in the final of 2018 and they won't just lay down after being cheated in that game,there will possibly be 7 of the team playing that played against Barca at anfield in 2019,so BELIEVE.COYR
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #51: Apr 13, 2021 09:17:14 am
      Would never rule out a comeback at Anfield although my head tells me we've already had our comeback of the week.

Ultimately Madrid are better right now than us. And we're at different stages in the cycle of trophy feast and famine. They're in better form and hungrier.

This looks a bigger task than overturning the Barca 3-0 which was actually an unfair result. Madrids 3-1 if anything flattered us a bit.

But... It's always possible in sport.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 82 
      Reply #52: Apr 13, 2021 09:36:32 am
      Would never rule out a comeback at Anfield although my head tells me we've already had our comeback of the week.

Ultimately Madrid are better right now than us. And we're at different stages in the cycle of trophy feast and famine. They're in better form and hungrier.

This looks a bigger task than overturning the Barca 3-0 which was actually an unfair result. Madrids 3-1 if anything flattered us a bit.

But... It's always possible in sport.

Thank you for a reasonable fan opinion. If I was Klopp I'd treat the game just as one to win, nothing more. I'd tell the guys to play patient and not try hard in the first 70 min, after then it's Hail Mary time. If we attack hard right from the start, we'll get slaughtered with our CB's. Again, our chances are 20%. So it makes sense to try and it makes sense to watch and hope, but it does not make sense to be disappointed if we don't advance.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #53: Apr 13, 2021 10:10:19 am
      I admit I am not confident of us overturning this tie. I really hope the players prove me wrong on the night !
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #54: Apr 13, 2021 10:41:46 am
      For me all I ask from the team is that they do not play as badly as they did in the first half in Madrid. They will keep the ball well in midfield and it's up to the red midfield to chase them down and play with an intensity that we saw last year to win the league. This is our cup final and we need to fight. Win, lose or draw, just play hard and fast so it can be a performance to be proud of. YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #55: Apr 13, 2021 10:45:19 am
      I'd play the following formation

Allison
      Williams Nat Kabak Robbo
      Fabinho Thiago
      Trent
      Bobby
      Salah Jota

Play this way and we will get more control in midfield whilst having plenty of attacking thrust with Bobby and Trent to back up Salah and Jota.

We have to be brave in this game and attack attack attack, like we did to Barca a few years ago.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #56: Apr 13, 2021 10:51:57 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #57: Apr 13, 2021 11:14:24 am
      I'd play the following formation

Allison
      Williams Nat Kabak Robbo
      Fabinho Thiago
      Trent
      Bobby
      Salah Jota

Play this way and we will get more control in midfield whilst having plenty of attacking thrust with Bobby and Trent to back up Salah and Jota.

We have to be brave in this game and attack attack attack, like we did to Barca a few years ago.

I think you should put in for the managers job Heimy. You clearly know more than Klopp.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 82 
      Reply #58: Apr 13, 2021 11:17:43 am

That'd be a huge mistake. We could do it back then because we had a real 12th man, Matip/VVD and a pathetic Barca that lost to Roma a year before quite in the same humiliating fashion after going 4-1 at home. Now, we don't have fans, we have a proper downgrade in Phillips/Kabak and Real is not only in a good moment but also not dysfunctional - rather to the contrary. If we play attack attack attack it will be 0-4 at halftime. We need to play patient, alsmost as if 0-0 would be enough. Keep it 0-0 for a long time and we have a chance because 1-0 at 82min. and the game becomes wide open.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #59: Apr 13, 2021 12:38:18 pm
      The key to us getting back into this tie, IMHO, is to press their midfield in a way we failed to in the 1st leg.  If we continue to give them time to look up, pick a pass & execute, they'll cut through us again & we'll need to score 5 or 6!

Have to press them, starting with our front 3, then the MF 3, snap at their heels, make them to go sideways & backwards & hopefully force a few errors.  We have to play with the levels of intensity that have brought us success in the past few years.  If we can do that, the personnel picked is largely irrelevant.  My concern is whether we have the energy levels to do that for 90 mins.

Hoping for (YET!) another magical Anfield European night!

COYR!!!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: Apr 13, 2021 02:14:45 pm
      2005 AND 2019 have zero impact on whst happens tomorrow. The only common factor those 2 nights had was a raucous crowd forcing the best from the players. Obviously a crowd wont be a factor tomorrow.

We are not playing anywhere near good enough. We won the weekend playing poirly. Real are a huge step up on villa.

We need a clean sheet. Hand on heart do you see that? If you dont do you see us scoring the required amount if goals needed?

I donr see a clean sheet or the required amount of goals eeded if they score playing as we are.

Our only hopd in my opinion is to change tact and go for it. No playing the numbers in midfield playing the handy pass, play the hatder forwatd pass. Play our main goal threats on the shoulders of their weakened defence not out wide playing off scraps.

Dont have full backs being our main outlet as Real exoect.

And go back to our pressing that made us the feared animal.

The above are the only way I see us winning. Sorry to say
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #61: Apr 13, 2021 02:19:16 pm
      I think you should put in for the managers job Heimy. You clearly know more than Klopp.

Well its fun to speculate on CL matches, I'm sure you enjoy doing the same for Europa league matches. ;-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Apr 13, 2021 02:22:32 pm
      That'd be a huge mistake. We could do it back then because we had a real 12th man, Matip/VVD and a pathetic Barca that lost to Roma a year before quite in the same humiliating fashion after going 4-1 at home. Now, we don't have fans, we have a proper downgrade in Phillips/Kabak and Real is not only in a good moment but also not dysfunctional - rather to the contrary. If we play attack attack attack it will be 0-4 at halftime. We need to play patient, alsmost as if 0-0 would be enough. Keep it 0-0 for a long time and we have a chance because 1-0 at 82min. and the game becomes wide open.

By attack attack attack I'm not talking about some looney kamikaze style of football, but the kind of heavy metal football we played a few years ago, where we pressed the hell out of teams and attacked at pace, if we sit back and are patient as you suggest it will at best be 0-0 at half time and Real Madrid will strangle the life out of the game.

We have to be positive in this game, when a defence is a bit weak then attack is the best form of defence, push Real Madrid backwards and have multiple attack vectors.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #63: Apr 13, 2021 03:01:11 pm
      Well its fun to speculate on CL matches, I'm sure you enjoy doing the same for Europa league matches. ;-)

Well we actually have a chance of winning a trophy this year if Ole puts a decent side out for a change. Not having to concentrate on a top 4 means Ole has no excuse now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: Apr 13, 2021 03:38:38 pm
      Well we actually have a chance of winning a trophy this year if Ole puts a decent side out for a change. Not having to concentrate on a top 4 means Ole has no excuse now.

You'll have to get past the mighty Grenada first, wow there are some great ties in the Europa League!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #65: Apr 13, 2021 03:46:42 pm
      You'll have to get past the mighty Grenada first, wow there are some great ties in the Europa League!!

On paper that real shouldn't be a problem but yeah your right.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #66: Apr 13, 2021 03:51:55 pm

One of the reasons i don't dislike the EL is the opportunity to play teams you normally wouldn't. The Villarreal tie when we played in the EL a few years ago, for example, was a great tie against a team we otherwise would not have played against at any other point.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #67: Apr 13, 2021 04:12:31 pm
      Overload the midfield or shore up the defence?  Against my better judgement I'd ditch the Kabak/Phillips partnership for this game, because we can't let them score: after that, it gets too difficult because, if they score, and as much as I love him, Klopp can't change a game situation like that, and the options on the bench aren't great anyway.

Allsson
      Millie Kabak Fabinho Robertson
      TAA Thiago Wijnaldum
      Salah Firmino Jota

Get the two goals we need (without conceding one) and then shore up the midfield/defence  Jones is, apparently, injured... there's not much left.

If Kabak has a mare (that's not doing him down - the jury's out, but we can't have two rookies in defence, particularly with Ali out of form - then Williams on as sub.

Otherwise Sadio and Shaq as subs - but don't just give them 10 minutes ffs!

We're gonna stuff Chelsea in the semis - so let's just get this in the bag first: 2-0 (with loads of nervous minutes seeing it out).

Enjoy!

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #68: Apr 13, 2021 04:15:13 pm
      Normally lately Iv been expecting tight, scrappy games.
      But we are due a game where everything clicks for us:

I’m going to say we will score 5.

5-2 maybe. Maybe 6-2.

Quick Reply