Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      5 (6.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      39 (50%)
      Ozan Kabak
      1 (1.3%)
      Nat Phillips
      14 (17.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      4 (5.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.6%)
      James Milner
      9 (11.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: Apr 18, 2021 09:53:19 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19070 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Apr 15, 2021 12:11:23 am
      To be fair without Gini's goals in the second leg against Barca we don't win number 6.

It's the disciplined role Klopp wants him to play is the reason he rarely gets in to the box.

Maybe but seeing as though Fab is our Dm and the issues we have seen with Trent bombing forward and the long lifted ball over the top where does Gini fit in?

weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #622: Apr 15, 2021 12:39:33 am
      The Arsene Wenger trophy only thing left to play for.

Who would have thought that at the start of the season.

We have to accept that this season and from February last season we haven't been good enough by a very long way,i don't think we can continue to say it's mostly down to injuries,look how many players Madrid had out,great teams learn to adapt and try and play to their strengths but we look lost and void of ideas when the opponents put 10 men behind the ball and keep trying the same things that haven't been working before,Jürgen is partly to blame as well with his tactics,team selections,subs and constant moaning for most of the season,but the players for me have a majority of the blame,take away Fab,Robbo and Jota the rest have been very average at best.This is the worst Liverpool team's defence of a title i have seen in my lifetime and it really hurts.Jürgen deserves the support of the board and fans to try and turn it round next season but Jürgen will know if he's getting the same tune from the team next season FSG will pull the trigger.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #623: Apr 15, 2021 02:00:51 am
      After watching the first half I did have one thought and that was where the F**k was that Liverpool for the past three months? Haven't seen that type of intensity for a long while.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #624: Apr 15, 2021 02:36:36 am
      After watching the first half I did have one thought and that was where the f**k was that Liverpool for the past three months? Haven't seen that type of intensity for a long while.

I think we've seen them trying to play quicker the past few matches, especially tonight and vs. Arsenal. It's promising amid the disappointment of the season overall. I know it's disappointing to go without a trophy, but there is still something to play for and we've shown some improvement from the big slump. Maybe we can restore some optimism (and a Champions League berth) for next season.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #625: Apr 15, 2021 02:57:06 am
      We have to accept that this season and from February last season we haven't been good enough by a very long way,i don't think we can continue to say it's mostly down to injuries,look how many players Madrid had out,great teams learn to adapt and try and play to their strengths but we look lost and void of ideas when the opponents put 10 men behind the ball and keep trying the same things that haven't been working before,Jürgen is partly to blame as well with his tactics,team selections,subs and constant moaning for most of the season,but the players for me have a majority of the blame,take away Fab,Robbo and Jota the rest have been very average at best.This is the worst Liverpool team's defence of a title i have seen in my lifetime and it really hurts.Jürgen deserves the support of the board and fans to try and turn it round next season but Jürgen will know if he's getting the same tune from the team next season FSG will pull the trigger.

Nailed it. Adapting is a huge part of the next chapter in our book. We have to adapt our style and the players we bring in. Pep and City have done this very well the past few seasons, and look at them now. I know a lot of people will scream that they have oil money, and they aren't wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that they play a much different style now.

We need to upgrade our striker, it just has to happen. Bobby has been a wonderful servant and the scorer of some massive goals. But he has been regressing for some time now, and he isn't a true goal scorer. We need to bring in a natural goal scorer and a creative MF. We can't continue to rely on Salah and FBs to make everything happen.

A change of play, be it 4-2-3-1 or getting away from the false 9 needs to be considered. Klopp has to stop being so married to the idea of a 4-3-3, or so loyal to aging players with one too many miles put on their legs. The best players play and no one is above being moved. Paisley way baby.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #626: Apr 15, 2021 03:20:59 am
      I, too, thought he had a really good game - I wish people would stop slagging him off on here ffs
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #627: Apr 15, 2021 03:26:29 am
      Klopp loves Gini doesnt he. He fooked up taking Millie off not only was he going well he was demanding the others to work. We lost leadership when he went
      I wanted Millie to start and he had a good game - we looked worse after the subs were made, but I'd have kept Gini on too.  For me, Thiago doesn't do anything.  Once Ox and Shaq came on we were just treading in water; penty of possession but going nowhere.  Did we even have a shot in the last 10 minutes? 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #628: Apr 15, 2021 06:43:07 am
      What engine, if you mean turning back with the ball, never seen such a cowardice from a so called attacking midfielder.

A lot of the usual Gini scapegoating here going on.  He had a good game, crazy if you think otherwise.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #629: Apr 15, 2021 07:21:40 am
      Sh*te season, what a comedown after such euphorics over the past 3 seasons.

Toothless and weak

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #630: Apr 15, 2021 07:56:03 am
      Played much better last night. just a severe lack of shooting boots costs us, could have easily won 4 nil on another day, with the chances created.

Damage done 1st leg.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #631: Apr 15, 2021 08:45:21 am
      After watching the first half I did have one thought and that was where the F**k was that Liverpool for the past three months? Haven't seen that type of intensity for a long while.

Last time I seen that sort of Liverpool display was probably when we ultimately came up a bit short against Atletico.

I can take losing as long as we give it a good shot so last night while a bit painful reminded me that we can still take games to teams.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #632: Apr 15, 2021 09:09:58 am
      Nailed it. Adapting is a huge part of the next chapter in our book. We have to adapt our style and the players we bring in. Pep and City have done this very well the past few seasons, and look at them now. I know a lot of people will scream that they have oil money, and they aren't wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that they play a much different style now.

We need to upgrade our striker, it just has to happen. Bobby has been a wonderful servant and the scorer of some massive goals. But he has been regressing for some time now, and he isn't a true goal scorer. We need to bring in a natural goal scorer and a creative MF. We can't continue to rely on Salah and FBs to make everything happen.

A change of play, be it 4-2-3-1 or getting away from the false 9 needs to be considered. Klopp has to stop being so married to the idea of a 4-3-3, or so loyal to ageing players with one too many miles put on their legs. The best players play and no one is above being moved. Paisley way baby.

I love Jürgen but great managers have to adapt and sometimes rebuild like Fergie did many times for Man U,I personally feel the owners have let Jürgen down after winning the CL we didn't strengthen and then after winning the PL when for me apart from Jota was a poor window,we signed Thiago which lets be honest we have plenty of midfielders and although i think he's a good player doesn't bring anything more than we already have,if we were going to buy a midfielder as your post points out what we need it should have been a creative one that brings goals and assists,we went for a cheap option at left back as the club didn't want to spend the extra 5 million on Lewis our number 1 target who bloody Newcastle brought yes Newcastle,as for the CB position the less said the better.Shambolic.We have regressed and now I feel we risk losing the best manager we have had for 30 odd years.What puzzles me is why hasn't Jürgen played Gini in a more attacking role as his record for the Dutch is good,i thought that Jürgen would try that last night but although we played better we played the same tactics we have against every team that has put 10 men behind the ball this season even reverting to putting our best midfielder back into the CB position when we needed goals,many on the forum have said that we will see the best of Thiago when Fab plays alongside him but I'm yet to see that.I can't believe the drop off since last February (2020)and people can say the injuries,no crowds,covid etc... but every team in the world has had to deal with the same,they are excuses,we had a chance to solve part of the CB problem on January the 4th when we were in a great position in the league but the club choose to do nothing and wait for the last day to get bargain basement signings in,one of which hasn't even started or played any minutes in a competitive game for us but i'm sure FSG will make a profit on him and the other played in a team at the bottom of the German league with by far the worst defensive record and was relegated with another.I think FSG are getting away with so much and should be accountable for our decline,but don't tell CT or other FSG lovers that as they will spout the same bullshit that they come out with.We are Liverpool this means more.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #633: Apr 15, 2021 09:13:19 am
      was always a big ask, blew it with that shocking performance last week.

felt done from the moment Mo missed at the start. They had no need to do anything, and we struggle like hell to score. This is becoming a concern. Mane looks absolutely gone. try and scab our way into top 4, cant wait for this grim season to end.

Mo's stats would be above Messi if he had Henry's finishing ability, or knack of placing it in the corner , the amount of sitters he passes straight to the keeper is unreal. Capable of scoring worldies, but 1 on 1 he is average.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #634: Apr 15, 2021 09:15:37 am
      I, too, thought he had a really good game - I wish people would stop slagging him off on here ffs

Wijnaldum is technically very gifted but, in midfield, it's not enough! He never scores, never assists and is not the best DM around. The question is what does he bring. He's not even helping to create opportunities.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1382435954418417672
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #635: Apr 15, 2021 09:17:26 am
      I would love to see our midfielders take shots from the edge of the box ( Stevie Gerrard style) it's predictable that we lob the ball into the area and hope something happens  maybe that is Jurgens instructions ? Coutinho used to mix it up a bit too,very clever player , maybe when Hendo comes back our midfield could be Fabinho,Thiago , Hendo and allow that creativity . One thing is certain ,something has to change !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #636: Apr 15, 2021 09:18:45 am
      Thats a joke ( the clip of him doing his laces)
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #637: Apr 15, 2021 09:20:40 am
      A lot of the usual Gini scapegoating here going on.  He had a good game, crazy if you think otherwise.

I thought Gini was one of our better players last night,Jürgen needs to take the shackles off with Gini and play him in the same role as he plays for Holland.I'm sad that Gini is leaving but i'm miffed as to why Jürgen plays him nearly every game and gives him the armband when he's leaving whilst you have players on the bench having barely any minutes and loyal players not given the armband like the TAA who bleeds and sweats Liverpool red and shows Stevie G passion that is required to be a captain.I'm so pissed how this season has gone and just want this season to end as i think we are in for more pain.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #638: Apr 15, 2021 09:47:43 am
      Wijnaldum is technically very gifted but, in midfield, it's not enough! He never scores, never assists and is not the best DM around. The question is what does he bring. He's not even helping to create opportunities.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1382435954418417672

Holy sh*t,give Gini a break,his laces needed doing up,what do you want him to do?some of the people on here truly don't know the meaning of supporting our great club.If you can't supports us when we are losing then don't support us when we are winning,a great man once said,SO true.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #639: Apr 15, 2021 10:10:27 am
      Our season has been full of "Why's" and "What If's" and that was again, apparent last night.
      What If Mo's three of four close efforts had gone in?
      Why couldn't we have played like that in the first leg?

It was a bridge too far

We MUST win every game in the league now.. no excuses

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #640: Apr 15, 2021 10:16:29 am
      Listening to the game, seems we played ok, simply could not convert any of the chances created, consequently, now out of the competition. I think we must now and try and pick up maximum points if possible, the only chance of qualifying next year.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #641: Apr 15, 2021 10:34:35 am
      Simply just didn’t convert our chances and were punished by that sub par first leg performance. I actually thought we played well last night otherwise.

Trent, Nat and Bobby stood out for me.

As others have said it’s about damage limitation now. Every game should be treated as a cup final and must win.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #642: Apr 15, 2021 11:19:13 am
      I love Jürgen but great managers have to adapt and sometimes rebuild like Fergie did many times for Man U,I personally feel the owners have let Jürgen down after winning the CL we didn't strengthen and then after winning the PL when for me apart from Jota was a poor window,we signed Thiago which lets be honest we have plenty of midfielders and although i think he's a good player doesn't bring anything more than we already have,if we were going to buy a midfielder as your post points out what we need it should have been a creative one that brings goals and assists,we went for a cheap option at left back as the club didn't want to spend the extra 5 million on Lewis our number 1 target who bloody Newcastle brought yes Newcastle,as for the CB position the less said the better.Shambolic.We have regressed and now I feel we risk losing the best manager we have had for 30 odd years.What puzzles me is why hasn't Jürgen played Gini in a more attacking role as his record for the Dutch is good,i thought that Jürgen would try that last night but although we played better we played the same tactics we have against every team that has put 10 men behind the ball this season even reverting to putting our best midfielder back into the CB position when we needed goals,many on the forum have said that we will see the best of Thiago when Fab plays alongside him but I'm yet to see that.I can't believe the drop off since last February (2020)and people can say the injuries,no crowds,covid etc... but every team in the world has had to deal with the same,they are excuses,we had a chance to solve part of the CB problem on January the 4th when we were in a great position in the league but the club choose to do nothing and wait for the last day to get bargain basement signings in,one of which hasn't even started or played any minutes in a competitive game for us but i'm sure FSG will make a profit on him and the other played in a team at the bottom of the German league with by far the worst defensive record and was relegated with another.I think FSG are getting away with so much and should be accountable for our decline,but don't tell CT or other FSG lovers that as they will spout the same bullshit that they come out with.We are Liverpool this means more.

Has it occurred to you that Klopp was the one who chose the wrong area to strengthen, for example Thiago, what was the need for him, how has he improved us??

We desperately need new forwards because Mane and Bobby have turned to sh*t and I would love someone a LOT more clinical than Salah, Jota is good in this respect but we need at least one more. Our shot conversion rate is utterly pathetic and the number of times we shoot over the bar is becoming a F***ing joke now! Can't one of the coaches do some training on this, little hint lean forwards when you shoot, not back!!!

Another thing that drives me nuts are the number of floated crosses we have into the box, IT NEVER WORKS, so stop F***ing doing it!!!!!  Compare it to City where what they do is stagger their attacking players, then have someone run to by-line and PASS the ball to the one who is free, it's not rocket science FFS!!

As for the game yesterday we had to score first half, we had so many good chances, but I kind of think that even if we had Real Madrid would have stepped through the gears and started attacking our make shift defence, in any case with that defence I do not see how we would have won the CL unless the rest of the team were perfect and we have not been perfect in any game this season, far from it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #643: Apr 15, 2021 11:21:14 am
      Holy sh*t,give Gini a break,his laces needed doing up,what do you want him to do?some of the people on here truly don't know the meaning of supporting our great club.If you can't supports us when we are losing then don't support us when we are winning,a great man once said,SO true.

Perhaps wait until the ball goes out of play then do your laces, just a thought!

Quick Reply