Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 31611 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,228 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #253: Apr 21, 2021 08:51:26 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #254: Apr 21, 2021 09:31:07 pm
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #255: Apr 21, 2021 09:59:48 pm
      What a bloody farce! as if we were just going to accept this new, soulless venture.. lost a lot of faith in LFC this week :(
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #256: Apr 21, 2021 10:10:01 pm
      Digger done a mic drop at this point

I mean not really. A salary cap will only work if every (big) league in the world does it. Otherwise the best players will go to the league with no cap.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #257: Apr 21, 2021 10:15:27 pm
      I mean not really. A salary cap will only work if every (big) league in the world does it. Otherwise the best players will go to the league with no cap.

You would need it in the bigger leagues like PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga where the big teams are. Turkey not having a salary cap is not going to attract the best players. Cap or no cap, those teams/leagues wouldn't be able to pay what the big teams can even under a cap. And would a cap be on wages or transfer fees or both?
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #258: Apr 21, 2021 10:18:04 pm
      You would need it in the bigger leagues like PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga where the big teams are. Turkey not having a salary cap is not going to attract the best players. Cap or no cap, those teams/leagues wouldn't be able to pay what the big teams can even under a cap. And would a cap be on wages or transfer fees or both?

Neither directly

It would - in theory - be a % of your annual turnover rather than no player can earn more than x or the Max you can spend on a transfer is y
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #259: Apr 21, 2021 11:27:28 pm
      Wasn't a salary cap one of the features of the ESL?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #260: Apr 21, 2021 11:36:29 pm
      Wasn't a salary cap one of the features of the ESL?

Yup and probably why Chelski and City were the first to leave!

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #261: Apr 22, 2021 07:25:50 am
      Yup and probably why Chelski and City were the first to leave!

No not at all, they would of known that right from the start in the 170 + contract papers. They pulled out for the same reason the others did.... Fan power, they were just the first two to buckle, the sheep then followed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #262: Apr 22, 2021 07:58:27 am
      Probably a law preventing a wage cap, in the EU anywsy, which the UK is no longer part of for a start. China then can offer stupid money so it is probably a no go
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #263: Apr 22, 2021 08:07:59 am
      Talk is they want to give the 6 20 points deduction from the start of next season.
      Tell you what that would make an exciting league season haha specially if 1 or 2 have a bad start to the season they will be shitting them selfs.

We would have to be very careful to avoid the drop if that is the case. Take 20 off us this season we are 17th.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #264: Apr 22, 2021 08:48:43 am
      Probably a law preventing a wage cap, in the EU anywsy, which the UK is no longer part of for a start. China then can offer stupid money so it is probably a no go

Bottom has fallen out of the Chinese league, 16 clubs have folded with massive debt in recent months including the champions so that’s not a threat whatsoever in terms of a money league now

We would have to be very careful to avoid the drop if that is the case. Take 20 off us this season we are 17th.

No way they would be able to deduct points as a punishment for what was essentially a theoretical idea still

There would be nothing written in PL rules regarding this scenario so no “rule” will have been broken

Even if they tried the 6 would take it to the court of arbitration and it wouldn’t be enforced pending appeal and eventually it would be thrown out

I imagine this is just blustering and an attempt to slap the 6 down to make sure this is buried for an future potential of this threat again

Personally I think the only ones who could have put sanctions in place would have been UEFA as the new SL would have been a direct competitor to their competition and would threaten it. The 6 never said they were leaving the domestic league or that they wanted to

Look I’m no fan of it, I hated the idea along with everyone else and I’m glad it’s been kicked into touch but all this threatening of sanctions now from the other 14 or the PL is a none starter

They need that 6 on side still as much as they ever did, it’s just an attempt to gain a little bit of power back from them
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #265: Apr 22, 2021 08:49:23 am
      TV rights for 3 seasons 2022-2025 are about to go under the hammer. It was ÂŁ5bn in 2015 and ÂŁ4.5bn in 2018.

Wonder how much Sky and BT would pay without the top six?

If the TV deal comes in well under value a Super League will be back on.

This is part of the problem for Liverpool. TV deals are in 3 year contracts. Players want 5 year contracts.
      Redangel

• 8,314 posts | 1007 
      Reply #266: Apr 22, 2021 09:19:03 am
      The fallout from this and the total vindictiveness from some quarters is likely to do more damage to the Premier League than even the ESL. After the last year, with no fans, the farce that is VAR, many people are feeling disconnected with the game any way. Carry on like this, with all this real hatred, and it will be a turn off for many. The powers that be need to think very carefully how they handle this.
      As fans we do need to be careful what we wish for, we could go from the frying pan into the fire, if FSG sell.
      DanMann

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #267: Apr 22, 2021 09:43:58 am
      All the Everton Fan pages kicking up a right fuss because they were not big enough to be included in the ESL of the abuse of power by the money in Football.  :lmao:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 835 
      Reply #268: Apr 22, 2021 10:37:38 am
      All the Everton Fan pages kicking up a right fuss because they were not big enough to be included in the ESL of the abuse of power by the money in Football.  :lmao:

Their new owner just forked a 500m pound on a new stadium and paid so much money and wages to bring players and Ancelotti. "abuse of power by the money football" my @ss  :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #269: Apr 22, 2021 11:30:18 am
      Saying "What are the alternatives?", as a defence for accepting the S.L. sh*te & buying John W's P.R. bullshit, is like finding out your daughter's/sister's boyfriend is beating her then you telling her: "Stay with him pet... your next boyfriend might murder you"

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know why they do it [apart from being dumb as F**k, obviously].

It's easier to do that than admit that YOU got it wrong, about the snake-oil salesman being out to milk the cash cow and, let's be honest; no fragile, childlike ego will allow for that. >:D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #270: Apr 22, 2021 11:47:18 am
      Saying "What are the alternatives?", as a defence for accepting the S.L. sh*te & buying John W's P.R. bullshit, is like finding out your daughter's/sister's boyfriend is beating her then you telling her: "Stay with him pet... your next boyfriend might murder you"

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know why they do it [apart from being dumb as f**k, obviously].

It's easier to do that than admit that YOU got it wrong, about the snake-oil salesman being out to milk the cash cow and, let's be honest; no fragile, childlike ego will allow for that. >:D

The whole “milk” the cash cow that gets thrown around - would that be relevant if they were actually taking money out of the club - of which they are not and that’s shown in the accounts each year .

So what are they milking ?

Cant compare the situation to “beating Gf up” etc etc

It’s simple

Look at the owners of all the big succesful clubs , look at the sort of people that can afford to buy the club

That’s the people who would be looking to buy Liverpool if it was to be sold

Rich Oil Arabs
      Russian Oil Arabs
      Chinese businessmen
      American Businessmen

Some will have the exact same level of funds as FSG , some will have the some morals , some worse

They may want to run the club in the exact same model - money earned is money spent

They may go the opposite way and take money out and leave the club with minimum to spend

They could be like Chelsea and City and spend money from their own pockets and use methods to avoid FFP

But then I suspect if we read the threads on both Chelsea and City we will see post after post slating them for their methods

The fantasy owner that

1. Spends millions on players from their own pockets

2. Does what the fans want - which fans they pick to listen will be interesting

3. maybe needs to be local

They don’t exist - they aren’t buying football clubs - this desire for a better owner - well look at the bigger clubs and which owner is better ? And also why

When someone can show me how exactly they have “milked the cow” then I’ll put my hands up and say - yep they are milking us.

John Barnes had it spot on and just because FSG aren’t perfect - that doesn’t mean there is better out there that are looking to buy a football club

There was an interesting article the other day

Cardinale who is part of the group that have bought 10% of FSG is known to want to own a Football club - i suspect that may well be the next step - they buy more of FSG and then Liverpool is split out with a new owner but he is an American again - that will please some

But right now - better the devil you know , I’m content for them to continue to build the stadium up , continue to employ the best manager in football , support him within the model they have and provide trophies and exciting games for the fans. The club right now are in a better position on and off the field than it has been since the Prem was formed
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2021 11:55:50 am by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #271: Apr 22, 2021 11:56:42 am

The whole “milk” the cash cow that gets thrown around - would that be relevant if they were actually taking money out of the club - of which they are not and that’s shown in the accounts each year .

It’s simple

Look at the owners of all the big succesful clubs , look at the sort of people that can afford to buy the club

Rich Oil Arabs
      Russian Oil Arabs
      Chinese businessmen
      American Businessmen

Some will have the exact same level of funds as FSG , some will have the some morals , some worse

They may want to run the club in the exact same model - money earned is money spent

They may go the opposite way and take money out and leave the club with minimum to spend

They could be like Chelsea and City and spend money from their own pockets and use methods to avoid FFP

But then I suspect if we read the threads on both Chelsea and City we will see post after post slating them for their methods

The fantasy owner that

They don’t exist - they aren’t buying football clubs - this desire for a better owner - well look at the bigger clubs and which owner is better ? And also why

When someone can show me how exactly they have “milked the cow” then I’ll put my hands up and say - yep they are milking us.

John Barnes had it spot on and just because FSG aren’t perfect - that doesn’t mean there is better out there that are looking to buy a football club

Carradine who is part of the group that have bought 10% of FSG is known to want to own a Football club - i suspect that may well be the next step - they buy more of FSG and then Liverpool is split out with a new owner but he is an American again - that will please some

But right now - better the devil you know , I’m content for them to continue to build the stadium up , continue to employ the best manager in football , support him within the model they have and provide trophies and exciting games for the fans. The club right now are in a better position on and off the field than it has been since the Prem was formed

Milking the cash cow of football

You don’t think they got into this for any other reason do you?

There were the stories at the time that had had no interest until they were told about the potential money they could get from it, that Tom Werner was “on his blackberry “ when in the initial meeting about the Liverpool investment because he didn’t think John Henry would go for it

Whether they are skimming money off yearly or simply milking footballs cash cow and they saw a bargain at 230m they brought us for they are only here for the money , and I know what you’re going to say, of course they are but there are ways to do it and that’s keeping in the least the integrity of the sport if not the integrity of the club
      Every single chance they have had they have tried to squeeze more money from it, more money from us,not happy with the massive massive profit they will naturally get

Morals and not ruining the sport and insulting us isn’t too much to ask for us it? And if you think it is without standing up for yourself then I feel for you and you must be a doormat

I’m not arsed about a “fantasy” owner. I just want owners that buy into the legacy of the club whilst they’re here, treat us and our club with respect and not try to completely change the face of the game they hadn’t heard of 15 years ago
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #272: Apr 22, 2021 11:59:50 am

It’s simple

Rich Oil Arabs
      Russian Oil Arabs
      Chinese businessmen
      American Businessmen

The fantasy owner that

Carradine who is part of the group that have bought 10% of FSG is known to want to own a Football club - i suspect that may well be the next step - they buy more of FSG and then Liverpool is split out with a new owner but he is an American again - that will please some

For me they messed up here by

. No consultation with anyone else in the club

. Having a closed shop

If I knew the finer details I could probably
      argue they messed up in other parts but I dont so those are the 2 main issues for me.

Had they not done the above 2 things then this could be so different. We ciukd be arguing the pros and cons of the proposal and Everton and West ham could issue statements saying they look forward to getting a chance to join that elite. All this while we are all still active premier league and cup participants. Effectively only fooking over UEFA.

But you are right as are others, new owners are not going to fall from the sky, and what does come might not be any better for us, indeed it could be much worse, we must be careful here.

However this is  the third or fourth apology they have had to make when fans have stood up to them..That suggest they just dont get, and arent learning, us and football or just dont care. Its the same apology " we misread" " we underestimated the feelings" What 4 F***ing times. More like taking the piss.

So for me times up but we have to hope that until the right replacement comes along that the current owners row in and do some positives, and they have had a few
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #273: Apr 22, 2021 12:09:56 pm
      Milking the cash cow of football

You don’t think they got into this for any other reason do you?

There were the stories at the time that had had no interest until they were told about the potential money they could get from it, that Tom Werner was “on his blackberry “ when in the initial meeting about the Liverpool investment because he didn’t think John Henry would go for it

Whether they are skimming money off yearly or simply milking footballs cash cow and they saw a bargain at 230m they brought us for they are only here for the money , and I know what you’re going to say, of course they are but there are ways to do it and that’s keeping in the least the integrity of the sport if not the integrity of the club
      Every single chance they have had they have tried to squeeze more money from it, more money from us,not happy with the massive massive profit they will naturally get

Morals and not ruining the sport and insulting us isn’t too much to ask for us it? And if you think of us without standing up for yourself then I feel for you and you must be a doormat

I’m not arsed about a “fantasy” owner. I just want owners that buy into the legacy of the club whilst they’re here, treat us and our club with respect and not try to completely change the face of the game they hadn’t heard of 15 years ago

So they haven’t actually “milked” anything as yet ?

The value of the club has increased since they bought us - which I suspect we all think is a good thing because it’s linked to better performance on and off the field

Yep they have done things wrong and others things they should do better , but then what owner hasnt 🤷‍♂️

They are sports investment- that same as most owners , what other reason do people spending millions buying a sports club - surely you don’t think there is someone who will for the “love of the game “

Anytime they have tried to get more money - that money wasn’t to go into their pockets - it was money they wanted to spend within the club - whether that’s to buy more players , increase wages , build stadium - they wanted to increase income to improve the noney that can be spent - something it seems most fans want - more money spent on players

Juventus owners have owned their club for over 100 years - they also got involved in the Super League , same with the owners of all the clubs

People are expecting something that probably won’t happen - unless there is a fan with £3bn burning in his pocket and willing to buy the club and then use his own money to buy players .

Sometimes we need to face reality - that doesn’t mean we can’t and shouldn’t hold them to count for their actions and the actions that embaresses themselves and the club - and for that they are going to have to work very hard or indeed JWH will need to work very hard but there is one telling person throughout this - Klopp ,it’s what he does that matters , along with Edwards and Hogan

The current owners need to repair the damage and ensure those main two stay at the club - that’s the bare minimum I expect from them now
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #274: Apr 22, 2021 12:15:20 pm

So they haven’t actually “milked” anything as yet ?

The value of the club has increased since they bought us - which I suspect we all think is a good thing because it’s linked to better performance on and off the field

Yep they have done things wrong and others things they should do better , but then what owner hasnt 🤷‍♂️

They are sports investment- that same as most owners , what other reason do people spending millions buying a sports club - surely you don’t think there is someone who will for the “love of the game “

Anytime they have tried to get more money - that money wasn’t to go into their pockets - it was money they wanted to spend within the club - whether that’s to buy more players , increase wages , build stadium - they wanted to increase income to improve the noney that can be spent - something it seems most fans want - more money spent on players

Juventus owners have owned their club for over 100 years - they also got involved in the Super League , same with the owners of all the clubs

People are expecting something that probably won’t happen - unless there is a fan with £3bn burning in his pocket and willing to buy the club and then use his own money to buy players .

Sometimes we need to face reality - that doesn’t mean we can’t and shouldn’t hold them to count for their actions and the actions that embaresses themselves and the club - and for that they are going to have to work very hard or indeed JWH will need to work very hard but there is one telling person throughout this - Klopp ,it’s what he does that matters , along with Edwards and Hogan

The current owners need to repair the damage and ensure those main two stay at the club - that’s the bare minimum I expect from them now

It depends how you see the term milking

Yes they’re milking football

Their investment in us was akin to someone offering you a million pound house for 100,000, it’s too good to turn down even if you aren’t interested in housing projects

Anyway, you asked what I want from owners, I’ve told you. Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear and doesn’t align with whatever you want and also if you read what I want and turn that into something else but it’s just constant going round in circles
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #275: Apr 22, 2021 12:16:23 pm
      For me they messed up here by

. No consultation with anyone else in the club

. Having a closed shop

If I knew the finer details I could probably
      argue they messed up in other parts but I dont so those are the 2 main issues for me.

Had they not done the above 2 things then this could be so different. We ciukd be arguing the pros and cons of the proposal and Everton and West ham could issue statements saying they look forward to getting a chance to join that elite. All this while we are all still active premier league and cup participants. Effectively only fooking over UEFA.

But you are right as are others, new owners are not going to fall from the sky, and what does come might not be any better for us, indeed it could be much worse, we must be careful here.

However this is  the third or fourth apology they have had to make when fans have stood up to them..That suggest they just dont get, and arent learning, us and football or just dont care. Its the same apology " we misread" " we underestimated the feelings" What 4 f**king times. More like taking the piss.

So for me times up but we have to hope that until the right replacement comes along that the current owners row in and do some positives, and they have had a few

Yes they did mess up  - I don’t think that will ever be in question - but it’s not terminal and the “right placement” prob doesn’t exist together now

As I said 100 years the Juventus family have been involved in Football , and all those other owners been in longer than JWH and looked at it as well

But right now the damage is pride and reputation - both which can be repaired and in football quickly , the club have faced worse than this and got through

Yep they have messed up three times - but then look at the club right now and see what it was 10 years ago - for me that outweighs what has happened - we were mid table , in debt , one star name player , a stadium very much in need of an upgrade , no funds for players , a sub standard manager , no European football , no real commercial worldwide footprint

Now look at the club since they took over - in a better place than at any other time than in the past 30 years or ultimately since the Prem started

Quick Reply