Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 30733 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #322: Apr 22, 2021 11:15:43 pm
      Having been bit once with Hicks and Gillett and seeing the sort of vicious, politically driven, ego maniac billionaires there are out there I think we should all be very careful what we wish for when pushing for FSG to go.

Nothing wrong hoping for better, but yea, getting better is likely easier said than done.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #323: Apr 23, 2021 12:26:31 am
      So the 14 think the 6 have broken 2 rules.

One is rule L9 which states no premier league club will play in any other competition other then champions league Europa league..

Clearly that rule has not been brolen so why the f**k is it on the table as a reason for sanction?

Witch hunt well and truly on

What about the Club World Cup?  Or does that fall under the CL umbrella?

Obviously no games were ever played.  It would be like trying to prove infidelity because someone was making plans to cheat.  The intent was there, but the act never commenced.  🤔

In the end, I'm confident that any punishments handed out will be mild at best.  The domestic leagues need these clubs in order to get full value out of their TV deals, and UEFA need them in the CL for the same reason.  Also, if the domestic and/or UEFA come down too hard, the clubs could reverse again and go through with the ESL.  They are treading a fine line, and they will be fully aware of it....
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #324: Apr 23, 2021 12:28:02 am
      I still find the idea of protesting for a billionaire to sell the club to another billionaire, a process in which supporters will have absolutely no say at all, a bit bizarre. And fundamentally it changes nothing, except for maybe instilling temporary hope that the next billionaires will be the real saviors - even H&G had that initial period of goodwill! - but sadly it doesn't last.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #325: Apr 23, 2021 12:35:37 am
      I don’t get why clubs can’t find another organisation.
      Uefa are a bit crap. Other sports have two organisations running tournaments.
      Uefa have the monopoly and that’s not good for competition.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #326: Apr 23, 2021 12:58:10 am

Obviously no games were ever played.  It would be like trying to prove infidelity because someone was making plans to cheat.  The intent was there, but the act never commenced.  🤔

At a minimum you would get a strong bollocking from the missus; at worst told to sling your hook. A punishment all the same.

That the 12 clubs intended to create a breakaway league and did in fact attempt to bring it about is surely beyond sensible doubt.

FA Rule E9:

“An attempt by a Participant or any agreement with any other person (whether or not a Participant) to act in breach of any provision contained in these Rules shall be treated for the purposes of these Rules as if a breach of the relevant provisions had been committed.”

FIFA Disciplinary Code Article 8:

“ 8 Acts amounting to attempt

Acts amounting to attempt are also punishable.

In the case of acts amounting to attempt, the body may reduce the sanction envisaged for the actual infringement accordingly. It will determine the extent of the mitigation as it sees fit; it shall not go below the general lower limit of the fine (cf. art. 15 par. 2).”
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #327: Apr 23, 2021 10:09:17 am
      Can't see that happening and justifiably so. The buck starts/ends with the owners. Fine them millions if not billions. Footballers / managers and fans can't be held accountable when knowing nothing about the SL  The more they fine the owners bigger chance they have to sell.  ;D

I agree Keith. We can't be accountable for their greed. FA will lose so much tv revenue if all of us are punished hard.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #328: Apr 23, 2021 10:12:41 am
      I agree Keith. We can't be accountable for their greed. FA will lose so much tv revenue if all of us are punished hard.

We should be held accountable. But a lot of clubs have points deducted for financial irregularities which have nothing to do with the fans.

I’d rather any points deducted for added for this season though and not rolled over to next.
      A transfer ban would be bad for us also.
      I’m hoping it’s just a slap in the wrist.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #329: Apr 23, 2021 11:03:15 am
      The fallout almost has me sorry we didnt fire ahead

UEFA: " Admit you made a mistake nd we move on"

Clubs: " We made a mistake were not going ahead"

UEFA: " Youll face punishment and well let you know what it is in the coming days"
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #330: Apr 23, 2021 11:04:30 am
      What about the Club World Cup?  Or does that fall under the CL umbrella?

In the end, I'm confident that any punishments handed out will be mild at best.  The domestic leagues need these clubs in order to get full value out of their TV deals, and UEFA need them in the CL for the same reason.  Also, if the domestic and/or UEFA come down too hard, the clubs could reverse again and go through with the ESL.  They are treading a fine line, and they will be fully aware of it....

I could be wrong but I think for fifa world club cup you must get approval from the FA, which is always given.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #331: Apr 23, 2021 11:35:49 am
      We should be held accountable. But a lot of clubs have points deducted for financial irregularities which have nothing to do with the fans.

I’d rather any points deducted for added for this season though and not rolled over to next.
      A transfer ban would be bad for us also.
      I’m hoping it’s just a slap in the wrist.

You surprise me Bob. First of all not only do you want us to be accountable you want to pick and choose when the ban/fine/ points deduction or whatever this year.  ;D

That's just a little to biased mate.  :lmao: Knowing that it may not effect you this year you'll takes the points reduction.  :lmao:  Come on Bob you better than that.  ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #332: Apr 23, 2021 02:00:47 pm
      You surprise me Bob. First of all not only do you want us to be accountable you want to pick and choose when the ban/fine/ points deduction or whatever this year.  ;D

That's just a little to biased mate.  :lmao: Knowing that it may not effect you this year you'll takes the points reduction.  :lmao:  Come on Bob you better than that.  ;D

Hit all teams with a 20 point deduction this season.  Arsenal will get relegated  :lmao:

Also, it would kind of F**k UEFA as it would be West Ham, Leicester, Everton, and City in the CL next term.  No one would watch those games and they would lose tons of money. 

That's as close to a win/win as you'll find :)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #333: Apr 23, 2021 03:22:49 pm
      Hit all teams with a 20 point deduction this season.  Arsenal will get relegated  :lmao:

Also, it would kind of f**k UEFA as it would be West Ham, Leicester, Everton, and City in the CL next term.  No one would watch those games and they would lose tons of money. 

That's as close to a win/win as you'll find :)

Still a fair chance United get top 4 though.  :lmao: We'd only be 3 points behind Everton.  ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #334: Apr 23, 2021 03:29:01 pm
      Still a fair chance United get top 4 though.  :lmao: We'd only be 3 points behind Everton.  ;D

Maybe a 25 point deduction then :)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #335: Apr 23, 2021 04:57:18 pm

Well maybe not then  :lmao:
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #336: Apr 23, 2021 06:45:18 pm

Well the offence was this year so deduct us this year: any contract that we broke was this year. And it would effect us as it would put us in a relegation battle!
      Next year we start afresh.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #337: Apr 23, 2021 06:48:07 pm
      I have come up with a good solution though with this super league lark:
      Basically give the top 6 a champions league place and also give the top 6 clubs that wanted to break away a 20 point head start and a bigger slice of the prize money.
      I’m going to apply for the soon to be vacant chairman position.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #338: Apr 23, 2021 06:50:42 pm
      Basically give the top 6 a champions league place and also give the top 6 clubs that wanted to break away a 20 point head start and a bigger slice of the prize money.

As i understand it, this is basically what the new CL format does. If you are out of the top 4 you can still qualify via highest coefficient of teams not already qualified. In this scenario we'd be in the CL next season even if we finished out of top 4.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #339: Apr 23, 2021 07:00:55 pm

:lmao:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #340: Apr 23, 2021 07:11:19 pm
      The best thing that could come out of this week is the powers who run the clubs have been shown to be absolutely selfish looking after no one else other than the Pound and the Dollar, the only way out of this is to have wage caps transfer caps and have the clubs run prominently bu fans, the only one who were going to gain was the mega rich owners
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #341: Apr 23, 2021 08:42:35 pm
      Apparently Spotify founder and owner has come out and said if the Kroenke's sell Arsenal that he would be interested in buying them. Not sure what people are thinking about who'd buy Liverpool or any of the other 6 teams other than another billionaire. The guy who grew up rooting for his team isn't going to be buying these teams, it'll be just another billionaire.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #342: Apr 23, 2021 08:50:07 pm
      Apparently Spotify founder and owner has come out and said if the Kroenke's sell Arsenal that he would be interested in buying them. Not sure what people are thinking about who'd buy Liverpool or any of the other 6 teams other than another billionaire. The guy who grew up rooting for his team isn't going to be buying these teams, it'll be just another billionaire.

There's over 2700 billionaires in the world so hopefully all the six get new owners.  ;D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #343: Apr 23, 2021 08:54:16 pm
      There's over 2700 billionaires in the world so hopefully all the six get new owners.  ;D

We will have the glaziers. You can have Kroenke. Arsenal can have mike Ashley.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #344: Apr 23, 2021 09:02:24 pm
      We will have the glaziers. You can have Kroenke. Arsenal can have mike Ashley.

You can have Glazers, we don't need Kroenke as I've already been in touch with Jeff Bezos & Mark Zuckerberg, apparently they want United so can see a bidding war coming.  :f_whistle:

Quick Reply