Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 30769 times
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #391: Mar 03, 2022 05:21:36 pm
      The talk is Juventus are trying to resurrect this and supposedly making a statement today , I do hope our owners stay away from this , them Barca and Real really need the cash out of this Fck them .

The current Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madroid teams are no longer elite.  Maybe they will invite Everton, Burnley, and Watford to join them.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #392: Mar 03, 2022 06:03:34 pm
      The current Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madroid teams are no longer elite.  Maybe they will invite Everton, Burnley, and Watford to join them.

Well they did invite the spuds 🤣🤣
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #393: Mar 03, 2022 06:06:53 pm
      This has been doing the rounds on Twitter the last hour or so. Not sure how much truth there is to it

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #394: Mar 03, 2022 10:48:17 pm
      It is true, but it's old news, announced almost 12 months ago by UEFA. It's the new European Cup format from 2024, nothing to do with the non existent ESL.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #395: Mar 04, 2022 12:51:48 am
      This has been doing the rounds on Twitter the last hour or so. Not sure how much truth there is to it

I remember for a couple of years around the turn of the century, UEFA had two group stages in the Champions League. I don't think they were both double round robin but it was scrapped because managers and players all said it was just too many games. I guess now playing too often is not a concern....  :roll:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #396: Mar 04, 2022 08:05:50 pm
      nothing to do with the non existent ESL.

It has a lot to do with ESL. ESL was the big club's version of stamping their feet and wanting their own way.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #397: Mar 05, 2022 01:27:31 pm
      I remember for a couple of years around the turn of the century, UEFA had two group stages in the Champions League. I don't think they were both double round robin but it was scrapped because managers and players all said it was just too many games. I guess now playing too often is not a concern....  :roll:

Completely forgotten about that but you're right! If I remember rightly Houllier's first game back after his Illness was against Roma in the final game of the second group stage.

Ridiculous idea when you look back at it, because some teams would have obviously been at a huge disadvantage due the odd number of matches & having to play 2/3 of those away from home
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #398: Mar 05, 2022 01:37:04 pm
      It has a lot to do with ESL. ESL was the big club's version of stamping their feet and wanting their own way.

The ESL was a godsend for Uefa. Let's be honest, no matter how much Uefa try and take the moral angle, they and the 'Super League' are pretty much aligned in their goals. More games, more sponsorship, more money. It's no surprise that these reforms have became public following the Super League announcements. it's as though they've decided to let the ESL take the criticism & bad publicity, whilst then releasing their reforms through the back door.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #399: Mar 05, 2022 02:33:52 pm
      The ESL was a godsend for Uefa. Let's be honest, no matter how much Uefa try and take the moral angle, they and the 'Super League' are pretty much aligned in their goals. More games, more sponsorship, more money. It's no surprise that these reforms have became public following the Super League announcements. it's as though they've decided to let the ESL take the criticism & bad publicity, whilst then releasing their reforms through the back door.

Agreed, the format was going to be the same either way trying to create more of "Super League" with more games (more revenue) it was the clubs tried to break away from UEFA to get more of cut for themselves.

As far as the changes just think this format just means more dead rubber games and like others have mention with the old double group stage I think people will get bored of format.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #400: Mar 06, 2022 08:28:23 pm
      Ah well. I remember when the European cup consisted only of domestic or European champions.

Then league runners up got included and a silly group stage was introduced.

Now 20% of English premier league clubs qualify and you have to play an actual 10 team mini league before knock outs! Crikey.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #401: Mar 06, 2022 08:41:58 pm
      Ah well. I remember when the European cup consisted only of domestic or European champions.

Then league runners up got included and a silly group stage was introduced.

Now 20% of English premier league clubs qualify and you have to play an actual 10 team mini league before knock outs! Crikey.

You appear to be 20 plus years behind
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #402: Mar 07, 2022 02:36:29 pm

At least. Back in the days when my club wasn’t referred to as a ‘franchise’ and cups were not dismissed because the prize money wasn’t enough.

This new champions league is not much different to that proposed super league.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #403: Mar 07, 2022 05:07:28 pm

This new champions league is not much different to that proposed super league.
      Almost identical if you remove guaranteed yearly home matches vs Barca, Real, PSG, Juve, etc and slot in thrillers like the Romanian and Azerbaijan league champs.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #404: Mar 07, 2022 11:51:13 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z

Yes they were double round robin, it was from 1999-2003. I'm glad they were scrapped tbh, as one group stage is more than enough. We only had it for the last two years, and we went out at the first group stage in it's last season, as we couldn't deal with Benitez and Basle home or away.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #405: Sep 26, 2022 03:26:54 pm
      Not sure where to post this, here here seems the most appropriate. Very interesting insight from the fans viewpoint of 1994.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1574017788666155009?t=Vh2W4sfYooinr5ueycdcPQ&s=19
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #406: Sep 26, 2022 04:06:03 pm
      Not sure where to post this, here here seems the most appropriate. Very interesting insight from the fans viewpoint of 1994.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1574017788666155009?t=Vh2W4sfYooinr5ueycdcPQ&s=19

its very sad mate and its getting worse
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #407: Sep 26, 2022 04:45:35 pm

Frightening how right they were.   :-[
      HarryJules12
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #408: Sep 27, 2022 09:18:41 am
      Had thankfully purged this from my memory.

Saying that - would we even make it in now?  :D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #409: Sep 27, 2022 08:59:48 pm
      Think the writing was on the wall, as soon as it was evident that the broadcasters were deciding when games should be played.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #410: Feb 09, 2023 11:16:03 pm
      Still talking about this idea…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64578730

Personally I would rather we join this league than look at billionaire owners as a solution to compete.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,672 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #411: Feb 10, 2023 06:19:49 am
      Still talking about this idea…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64578730

Personally I would rather we join this league than look at billionaire owners as a solution to compete.

Fortunately for the majority Bob it still looks like the English teams still not considering it at this moment in time. I know you love the idea but it would seem your a minority from what I listen/read.

Power to the working class fans.  ;D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #412: Feb 10, 2023 08:53:21 am
      Fortunately for the majority Bob it still looks like the English teams still not considering it at this moment in time. I know you love the idea but it would seem your a minority from what I listen/read.

Power to the working class fans.  ;D

The thing is if the premier league has four, five or six oil/billionaire clubs it’ll be a super league within the premier league anyway.
      The champions league will be full of either billionaire/oil clubs or teams from Madagascar and Estonia.

So you’ll have two super leagues running at the same time.

But for some reason fans are happier with that scenario.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #413: Feb 10, 2023 10:19:37 am
      Another alternative is to charge £200 for a match ticket. Cheapest option. But the majority of proceeds goes to transfers.
      Make sure you only allow the consumption of food and drink purchased inside the stadium and charge £10 for a bottle of water and £30 for a hot dog etc.

People will still go and the club will be able to afford to compete.

Get rid of the womens team and any disabled teams and you can save money there as well.

I think we can fleece the fans more before turning to billionaires.

If the stadium is full you are not charging enough.

Quick Reply