Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 30720 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #414: Feb 10, 2023 12:44:00 pm
      The thing is if the premier league has four, five or six oil/billionaire clubs it’ll be a super league within the premier league anyway.
      The champions league will be full of either billionaire/oil clubs or teams from Madagascar and Estonia.

So you’ll have two super leagues running at the same time.

But for some reason fans are happier with that scenario.

The Premier League & Champions league is more than enough Bob, not forgetting we have the Europa-FA Cup & League Cup we don't need anything else getting in the way or replacing them. Just my opinion.  :D
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #415: Feb 10, 2023 01:01:12 pm
      The Premier League & Champions league is more than enough Bob, not forgetting we have the Europa-FA Cup & League Cup we don't need anything else getting in the way or replacing them. Just my opinion.  :D
      I've always been suspicious of anything with the prefix "Super". it has elitist grandeur that is almost always unmerited. The Super league is mostly supported on the continent, with the established clubs feeling it might be the only way they can attract and keep "Star" players. Season after season the Premier league is hoovering up all the talent (attracted by massive wage contracts),apart from PSG most others can't compete, and the whole European football landscape is dangerously out of balance.
      I agree with you we don't need a super league, we just need the Premier league rebalanced in line with the rest of Europe.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #416: Feb 10, 2023 02:50:08 pm
      The thing is if the premier league has four, five or six oil/billionaire clubs it’ll be a super league within the premier league anyway.
      The champions league will be full of either billionaire/oil clubs or teams from Madagascar and Estonia.

So you’ll have two super leagues running at the same time.

But for some reason fans are happier with that scenario.

Would love to know how teams from Madagascar are getting into European competition? :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #417: Feb 10, 2023 02:55:52 pm
      I've always been suspicious of anything with the prefix "Super". it has elitist grandeur that is almost always unmerited. The Super league is mostly supported on the continent, with the established clubs feeling it might be the only way they can attract and keep "Star" players. Season after season the Premier league is hoovering up all the talent (attracted by massive wage contracts),apart from PSG most others can't compete, and the whole European football landscape is dangerously out of balance.
      I agree with you we don't need a super league, we just need the Premier league rebalanced in line with the rest of Europe.

it's all a bit hypocritical the teams that are bitching especially the F***ing Italians, what's happening now is the same thing that happened in Italy late 80s into the 90s and Real Madrid/Barcelona circa late 90s early 2000s. Now it's the English League attracting all the star players, they don't like the shoe being on thee other foot.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #418: Feb 10, 2023 07:40:50 pm
      Would love to know how teams from Madagascar are getting into European competition? :laugh:

If they are run by oil men they can pretty much convince UEFA to do anything!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #419: Feb 10, 2023 07:47:25 pm

Yes; but it’s a league within a league.
      The Big 6.
      It’s boring as hell. The champions league is so bloody dull until the knock out stages.
      Europa and FA and league cup nobody cares about unless you win.

But the super league? Every week playing an elite team. Will be like the super bowl. There could be Sam Smith performing at anfield before the game starts followed by glorious Budweiser commercials.

Where every corner kick is sponsored by Wendy’s. And every goal is followed by fireworks and a dance routine.

Come on Keith. Embrace the future.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #420: Feb 11, 2023 08:42:48 am
      Yes; but it’s a league within a league.
      The Big 6.
      It’s boring as hell. The champions league is so bloody dull until the knock out stages.
      Europa and FA and league cup nobody cares about unless you win.

But the super league? Every week playing an elite team. Will be like the super bowl. There could be Sam Smith performing at anfield before the game starts followed by glorious Budweiser commercials.

Where every corner kick is sponsored by Wendy’s. And every goal is followed by fireworks and a dance routine.

Come on Keith. Embrace the future.

:lmao: We agree on a lot of things Bob but not a super league.  ;D
      I’m certainly happy with being part of the BEST DOMESTIC LEAGUE IN THE WORLD. Happy playing in Champions League football and love the FA Cup. Granted like I think many only happy to follow the Europa Cup & Micky Mouse clubs if we reach quarterfinal stages.

Like you Bob I would  like to see  :roll: :roll: have to choose my words here Bob in case any snowflakes reading my blog.  :lmao: where was I? Oh yeah, I’d like to see lower class!! Football disappear of our screens or at least put it in pink along the tool bar so we know the difference between the men and the boys.  :f_whistle:

A scope league would become like American football where’s there’s adds every min on the tool bal.   ;D It’s a no for me Bob! Now where have I heard that saying before.  :lmao:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #421: Feb 11, 2023 09:07:40 am
      I’m certainly happy with being part of the BEST DOMESTIC LEAGUE IN THE WORLD. Happy playing in Champions League football and love the FA Cup. Granted like I think many only happy to follow the Europa Cup & Micky Mouse clubs if we reach quarterfinal stages.

Like you Bob I would  like to see  :roll: :roll: have to choose my words here Bob in case any snowflakes reading my blog.  :lmao: where was I? Oh yeah, I’d like to see lower class!! Football disappear of our screens or at least put it in pink along the tool bar so we know the difference between the men and the boys.  :f_whistle:

A scope league would become like American football where’s there’s adds every min on the tool bal.   ;D It’s a no for me Bob! Now where have I heard that saying before.  :lmao:

😂😂 put it in the tool bar liked that 🤣
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #422: Feb 11, 2023 09:10:53 am
      it's all a bit hypocritical the teams that are bitching especially the F***ing Italians, what's happening now is the same thing that happened in Italy late 80s into the 90s and Real Madrid/Barcelona circa late 90s early 2000s. Now it's the English League attracting all the star players, they don't like the shoe being on thee other foot.
      You have to remember some on here can’t remember football in the 80s / 90s hell I bet some can’t remember the 2000s
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #423: Feb 11, 2023 11:12:39 am
      I don’t like the idea at all, like what HR says, we have the best league in the world now and that ain’t gonna change, the italian league is sh*te, and no better than the Championship, probably worse, the two Spanish giants are no longer giants and the quality has taken a nose dive, then we have the dodgy French lot who can teach Citeh a thing or two about corruption, how many French title’s have they bought now ??

Juventus, AC Milan, Internazionale, Roma, R Madrid, Barcelona, Atleti, Sevilla, Bayern M, Burussia Dortmund, BMG, PSG, Lyon, Celtic, Rangers, Partick Thistle,

Just some of the clubs on their knees begging UEFA for this so called ‘Super’ league, most have/ are suffering financially and need this league for security and to wallow in mediocrity and to maintain a steady stream of income that owners won’t have to find to keep their clubs afloat !!

Most have absolutely no f***in chance of winning, about as much chance of winning their own domestic title and the longer that continues the worse they are becoming, and obviously further behind the Billionaire clubs,

I know as much as the next fella, but if massively corrupt organisations  such as UEFA, FIFA Etc are running the show, you know football, footballers, managers and most importantly fans, won’t be at the forefront of their minds, it will of course be how many millions can we leech from all the clubs, with all their fans, millions of them, for me if it happens it’s another nail in the coffin of the sport we used to call, ‘The People’s Game’

RIP Football !!!

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #424: Feb 11, 2023 03:23:19 pm
      I don’t like the idea at all, like what HR says,

Don’t I say that or you fed up of agreeing with this dirty manc.  :lmao:
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #425: Feb 11, 2023 03:41:55 pm
      For me the super league is an ugly idea that will enhance the sport for a dozen or so teams.

The dirty dozen league I suppose.

But unless the premier league and UEFA sort out the FFP then we will be in a league where we can’t compete. So a lot is riding on this Man City saga at the minute. If they get away with it or only have little in the way of punishment then we may as well give up.

It’s when people become disillusioned that  alternatives become interesting. That’s how nazi Germany started.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #426: Feb 11, 2023 03:44:18 pm

Being part of the greatest league in the world is one thing, but competing is what I want.

This reply comes to you courtesy of Micks Autos.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #427: Feb 11, 2023 05:36:36 pm
      Being part of the greatest league in the world is one thing, but competing is what I want.

This reply comes to you courtesy of Micks Autos.

;D I’m with you on competing but we may have to join them to beat them. God knows what lies ahead for our respective clubs, I won’t bow out though no matter who comes ( if anyone )

Mick Autos  :lmao: love it
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #428: Feb 11, 2023 05:45:55 pm
      ;D I’m with you on competing but we may have to join them to beat them. God knows what lies ahead for our respective clubs, I won’t bow out though no matter who comes ( if anyone )

Mick Autos  :lmao: love it

Some days I think I wouldn’t care if we were bought by shady characters, like you say, the league is full of them.

And other days I don’t like the idea of joining them.

Today I don’t care so I’m back in your camp.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #429: Feb 11, 2023 09:58:53 pm
      Some days I think I wouldn’t care if we were bought by shady characters, like you say, the league is full of them.

And other days I don’t like the idea of joining them.

Today I don’t care so I’m back in your camp.

Until tomorrow then when you wake up other side of the bed.  ;D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #430: Feb 12, 2023 05:09:30 am
      Until tomorrow then when you wake up other side of the bed.  ;D

I wish. Me and the kids been vomiting all night. Not sure if it’s a bug, something we have eaten or listening to Mikel Arteta.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #431: Feb 12, 2023 06:52:13 am
      I wish. Me and the kids been vomiting all night. Not sure if it’s a bug, something we have eaten or listening to Mikel Arteta.

Oh dear that’s not good pal, hope it’s nothing much, listening to Arteta will only make you worse.  ;D  Hopefully just a 24 hour bug and your all feeling better today.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #432: Feb 12, 2023 08:34:42 am
      Don’t I say that or you fed up of agreeing with this dirty manc.  :lmao:

You did, but I’d rather converse with a proper Red, not some ugly inferior Manc fuckpig , I’m usually good at remembering faces, but I’m happy to make a exception in your case, don’t they do gimp masks down your way then Manc w*nk ??
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #433: Feb 12, 2023 03:10:34 pm

You did, but I’d rather converse with a proper Red, not some ugly inferior Manc fuckpig , I’m usually good at remembering faces, but I’m happy to make a exception in your case, don’t they do gimp masks down your way then Manc w*nk ??

That’s a unfair biased I’m deeply offended by your comments, you should apologise to this mank w*nk as I am a proper red. 😛😛😛
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #434: Oct 24, 2023 07:07:51 pm
      Apparently the European Court of Justice may open this bad boy of a Super League again with a ruling being delivered on the 21 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67202993
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #435: Oct 24, 2023 07:25:57 pm
      Apparently the European Court of Justice may open this bad boy of a Super League again with a ruling being delivered on the 21 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67202993

I'm guessing that most of the top European clubs will be looking at what the Saudi League did this last summer and use that as added incentice to get the European Super League in place asap to fend off the Saudis.  Just a hunch....
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #436: Oct 25, 2023 09:13:36 am
      Dead in water, the new champions league setup is basically a super league.

Quick Reply