Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson Becker
      5 (7.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Ozan Kabak
      10 (15.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (9.5%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      33 (52.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.9%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2021 02:25:58 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16556 times
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Apr 24, 2021 03:19:27 pm
      Exactly mate.

The lad clearly wasn't around for the Hodgson era or Brodge's last full season.

Didn’t realise Hodgson and Brendan were here in the early 80s

And for the record I didn’t say this was worse than that whatsoever, not once

But you interpret it however you like
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,544 posts | 243 
      Reply #438: Apr 24, 2021 03:20:23 pm
      i get your point, but this can only be on our attackers for missing so many chances. we played with four attackers and high line, because we excepted them to park the bus, which they did. The gameplan was there, and it worked for 80 mins. The game should have been done and dusted by then. Mo, jota, mane and bobby let us down today.

I'm equally annoyed by the defence & attack, I get the feeling if we'd scored 4 they'd have scored 4, they constantly got in behind causing problems
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #439: Apr 24, 2021 03:28:07 pm
      I get the feeling if we'd scored 4 they'd have scored 4
      We haven't scored 4 since the Palace game in December, unless you count the cup game against Villa's under 12s
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #440: Apr 24, 2021 03:37:13 pm
      i get your point, but this can only be on our attackers for missing so many chances. we played with four attackers and high line, because we excepted them to park the bus, which they did. The gameplan was there, and it worked for 80 mins. The game should have been done and dusted by then. Mo, jota, mane and bobby let us down today.

yes. but thats been the case for the season. our ability to kill teams off is gone..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #441: Apr 24, 2021 03:48:20 pm

I agree with the first statement. Considering the importance of the game we did poorly in the 2nd half. I don't know if our pressing costs us too much energy, but I feel we just have power for 60min. and then slowly regress. In any way Klopp's system becomes more and more the issue, not the injuries. It just seems that his system is outsmarted and he cannot cope with it. Because even without VVD, Matip/Gomez and Hendo we are way more talented than Newcastle which was on display the whole first half. But somehow we cannot translate superior talent into dominance and that's on the coaching staff.

I do not agree with statement two. Jürgen has earned the right to not gettin cut short, no matter what, even if we get relegated. I wanna see some loyality in a ruthless football world. And then of course in addition it was a freak season, we had key injuries, no fans and all that and don't forget: this poor season stacks up against 6-7 good to very good ones. In Jürgen I trust. But I hope he does some serious self-scout in the offseason and not let Covid and our injuries cloud his judgement.

So much nicer debating with intelligent people.
      I will always have enormous affection for Jürgen same as I do Rafa, Houllier and to a lesser extent Brendan and Evans but something is seriously wrong with this team now to the extent I think only a change of manager will fix it. Its happened to better managers than Jürgen, sometimes you just run out of steam at a club and the players lose faith in your vision and style.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #442: Apr 24, 2021 03:50:09 pm
      We haven't scored 4 since the Palace game in December, unless you count the cup game against Villa's under 12s

To put it into perspective our GD was 19, I think, at the start of the year. We have become bang average.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,452 posts | 4584 
      Reply #443: Apr 24, 2021 03:59:07 pm
      This team is in a tailspin, 2 bottle jobs in a row, plus crap management, crap subs.

We need a change of manager more than change of players.

Predicktable you.. .

I will always have enormous affection for Jürgen same as I do Rafa, Houllier and to a lesser extent Brendan and Evans but something is seriously wrong with this team now to the extent I think only a change of manager will fix it. Its happened to better managers than Jürgen, sometimes you just run out of steam at a club and the players lose faith in your vision and style.

This team for the past 3 seasons have been on the edge of perfection in pursuit  to bring us supporters the holy grail, going toe to toe with the financially doped teams & beating them to the best club silverware available, add the pandemic on top, our overseas players being away from their families, on top of that our Boss & Keeper suffering from family losses...

They are humans & times we breakdown only to come back stronger...

You got to step back & look at it with some perspective & stay the F***ing course..
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2021 04:06:08 pm by Shabs »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #444: Apr 24, 2021 04:00:54 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Newcastle
      Reply #445: Apr 24, 2021 04:07:26 pm
      Should have been all over by half time.

Absolutely dismal finishing.

However, I've made peace that we're not finishing in the top four because quite frankly we don't deserve to.

With you.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,021 posts | 3428 
      Reply #446: Apr 24, 2021 04:07:31 pm

You just follow the same pattern you do with Rafa - demanding he is replaced when they go through a downturn

I can just imagine you calling for Kenny’s head in 87 when we didn’t win a trophy the year after winning the double

You are just the stereotypical modern fan - happy to support all the way through when things are good , when things go down instead of support and getting behind the staff you demand changes - just like Chelsea fans and the owners , you see other clubs changing managers instead of giving them time

We have the best manager in the world at the club and you don’t have the paitence or the level of support to give them time to get back to where we all know they will be

The Liverpool motto is about not walking alone and being there - you have no idea about the DNA of the club , you have no emotional connection to the club which is why at the drop of the hat you want people sacked or replaced when things don’t get perfectly -

To use a quote - if you can’t support during the bad times don’t bother during the good times.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #447: Apr 24, 2021 04:09:24 pm
      This team is in a tailspin, 2 bottle jobs in a row, plus crap management, crap subs.

We need a change of manager more than change of players.

This is worthy of a ban for the poor quality WUMery. Everyone already knows you're a tw*t, but a 99% tw*t post ratio is pretty impressive.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #448: Apr 24, 2021 04:19:51 pm

I really thought we had turned a corner, but these past two results show we still have major issues, especially with putting the ball into the opposition net. I agree we miss Fabinho in midfield (again), but I understand the team selection as I would have no confidence in a back line of Kabak and Williams or Davies (he's a Championship player everyone).

But we had chances to score according to everyone's description of the game. Disappointing.

But silly me. I'll be right back supporting the team and our fantastic manager next Sunday, hoping for our best possible finish and yes, even playing in Europa League next season vs. no continental play at all. Our trophy wall says we are not "too big" for that competition.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 279 
      Reply #449: Apr 24, 2021 04:20:25 pm
      Klopp has made some questionable subs but not a chance on earth do I want that man to leave Anfield not for a long time yet.. Injuries have been the main disruption this season, then the crowds it's been gash all round BUT if anyone is shouldering the blame this year it has to be our front three. Mo will always waste chances but he'll score as well, Mane and Firmino could be past their best now, Bobby has lost any finishing ability.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #450: Apr 24, 2021 04:22:55 pm
      At work all day and just seen the result. Sums up our season in a microcosm I’d say
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #451: Apr 24, 2021 04:23:33 pm
      This has got a 90 min equaliser for them all over it.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #452: Apr 24, 2021 04:24:36 pm
      I really thought we had turned a corner, but these past two results show we still have major issues, especially with putting the ball into the opposition net. I agree we miss Fabinho in midfield (again), but I understand the team selection as I would have no confidence in a back line of Kabak and Williams or Davies (he's a Championship player everyone).

But we had chances to score according to everyone's description of the game. Disappointing.

But silly me. I'll be right back supporting the team and our fantastic manager next Sunday, hoping for our best possible finish and yes, even playing in Europa League next season vs. no continental play at all. Our trophy wall says we are not "too big" for that competition.

Championship player ? Robbo was wasn't he ?Nothing to do with it plenty of good players have come from there  the fact is he was bought as he was near end of his contact to be sold in the summer .
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #453: Apr 24, 2021 04:28:41 pm
      If players moan about lack of CL football next season, only got themselves to blame. Only one near excusable is Mo Salah. Still scoring goals at a decent rate but even he hasn’t been fully at the races...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,242 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #454: Apr 24, 2021 04:35:08 pm
      Klopp got to smart up and quick didn't he see what was going on on the field Gini, Bobby and Mane were awfull Thiago was bossing the game and who dose he take off, we had to defend for 4 minutes injury time and we concede Two goals, yes we have had injuries but this is just not good enough, Jürgen has got to come to his senses and soon or the fans will turn, were out of Europe now
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,242 posts | 921 
      Reply #455: Apr 24, 2021 04:36:43 pm
      How the F**k dose Mo get a game, he's shocking got to rest him and sort his head out
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #456: Apr 24, 2021 04:39:00 pm

I hear where you're coming from, and there may be half a grain of truth there.  But look at it from another perspective: the team needs a gradual rebuild (I'm not saying clear the lot out now) over a couple of years.  Our front three all turn 30 soon, Hendo too, and Millie's super fit for his age but he can't play every game.  It looks like Gini's off in the summer, and I can see Ox moving to a lower PL club, and maybe Shaq moving on as well.  I really can't see Nabby Keita staying here either - it just hasn't been a good fit.  And, despite Keita, which was easily his worst/most expensive failure, I 100% trust in Klopp to take charge of that rebuild and eventually leave us in a better place than we were before he came.

At the end of the day Jürgen can't go on the pitch and score the goals: that's the player's job, and it's obvious that there's a huge loss of confidence.  One by one we need to replace them, maybe starting with Bobby, who I thought played ok today in a deeper role, but who's goal return has been pretty terrible for a couple of seasons now (despite his assists). 

Where I would critisize Klopp is the recent substitutions (call it a lack of plan B) and the entire team's inability to see a game out.  I'm pretty sure it was City v Villa I was watching the other night and, in the last five minutes City got it in Villa's corner and ran the clock down, or just passed it across the back four keeping possession.  Against Leeds on Monday, and again here today, the players switched off.  And that's got to come down to bad coaching/game management.  I've never seen Klopp inanimate and sat on the bench as much as I have these past few weeks: he kind of looks resigned to it.   

I think he deserves this summer's window.  Whether it's him in charge or someone else, the task is gonna be so much harder now we're not in the CL (and maybe not even in the Europa).   But I hope it's Jürgen who's here.  Be careful what you wish for!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #457: Apr 24, 2021 04:39:12 pm
      How the F**k dose Mo get a game, he's shocking got to rest him and sort his head out

:o  Not Mo but Mane.

It is only them who need to be blamed.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,021 posts | 3428 
      Reply #458: Apr 24, 2021 04:39:23 pm
      How the f**k dose Mo get a game, he's shocking got to rest him and sort his head out

Sorry but what ?!?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,242 posts | 921 
      Reply #459: Apr 24, 2021 04:40:16 pm
      Jürgen doesn't learn how many times have we been found out playing high, we only needed to defend for the last 4 minuets and we conceded 2 goals in that time that the form of a relegation team

Quick Reply