Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson Becker
      5 (7.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Ozan Kabak
      10 (15.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (9.5%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      33 (52.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.9%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2021 02:25:58 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16080 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Apr 24, 2021 08:20:53 pm
      Someone made the point earlier that he should have managed better the end of the game and used his 3rd sub. He spent a lot of time earlier in the year complaining about not having 5 subs and yet today he didn’t even use 3 when that last one could have burned out the last few seconds of the game.

For sure. Great point. Hebholds on to the sub card far too long IMO. In today's case, he's still holding on to one  :D
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #507: Apr 24, 2021 08:22:05 pm
      Can we attract quality players next season without CL Football?

As one of the lads said after the Leeds game... It's Villarreal away on a Thursday night next season.. FFS !!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #508: Apr 24, 2021 08:38:56 pm

It's not a coincidence that Xabi and Salah were signed in years after we qualified for the CL.... It means so much to European players, particularly players outside of England
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #509: Apr 24, 2021 08:39:05 pm
      Quote from bazspeedman
      Agreed we need a big squad overhaul in the Summer.

VVD and Joe back will be huge for us next season but we're still carrying too many passengers.

Ox, Keita, Origi, Shaqiri need to be sold. Gini, Milly, and Adrian will likely be leaving. I'd say Tsimikas and possible Matip will leave too.

I would also consider selling one of Mane or Bobby if we replace with a top class attacking player.

So that's 9 or 10 players potentially departing.

I said a few years ago, that we needed 10 new signings for the following season. We signed 4, which is the usual number we sign these days. 4 new signings in one window is not a big squad overhaul.

Fair enough, VVD and his centre back pals will be back next season. At least we hope they are anyway. But that doesn't mean the forwards won't be injured instead. There's certainly no guarantee that the injury list next year will be lower. All our main players atm will not have a summer break again, with the Euros/Copa America/Olympics around. Yes Hendo will be back, for at least a month or so  before he gets injured again. You can't rely on him as he's very injury prone. And if results are affected as this season, we know who will be held responsible. He's on the sideline with a beard.

Quote from glennusmc
      That’s a horrendous VAR call

It's a correct call. If you handle the ball in this  league before scoring, you will be caught red handed. It's a clear handball and he was. No point in complaining about it, that's the law, and it will be enforced.

1 home win in 10 league games. 6 points from the last 30 available. A disgrace at any level of the game, let alone this one. I think of all the biggest clubs, it's just us and Juventus, possibly Dortmund, that have underperformed this season across the main European leagues. Everyone else has somehow found a way to deal with the unique circumstances they have been confronted with this season.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #510: Apr 24, 2021 08:45:41 pm
      Hi mate, you talk about JK being 'under par'. How about this, the man man lost his mother not so long ago, and because of lockdown, could not even attend her funeral. Have some empathy, he is not a robot, how would you feel? Jk himself will say its business as usual, but it must have/is effecting his direction.
      Cut the man a bit of slack here, he is the manager for us
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #511: Apr 24, 2021 08:50:14 pm

We’ve done it before and we’ll do it again.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #512: Apr 24, 2021 08:50:54 pm
      Why take Thiago off? He ran the game. Game needed to be played at his pace.

Mane is a nightmare man. He may be one of the worst players in the prem atm.

Klopp been as poor anyone this season. His in game management been below par.

Poor season maybe but for me his is still the best in the world
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #513: Apr 24, 2021 08:55:18 pm
      Well if we finish outside the CL places , which is probable, then so be it. Not the end of the world, just do the best we can in the second tier competition for a chance at another European trophy and guaranteed entry into the next seasons CL. If players bemoan about a lack of CL footy, then they only have to look in the mirror to see who’s to blame...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #514: Apr 24, 2021 08:58:17 pm
      Well if we finish outside the CL places , which is probable, then so be it. Not the end of the world, just do the best we can in the second tier competition for a chance at another European trophy and guaranteed entry into the next seasons CL. If players bemoan about a lack of CL footy, then they only have to look in the mirror to see who’s to blame...

Couldn’t agree more, the players need to look at themselves
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #515: Apr 24, 2021 09:03:04 pm
      I didn’t bother with this game today. I looked out the window and saw the weather and thought I would go to the seaside instead: left my phone at home.
      Was really nice:

Just caught up on the game though/ standard. This season has probably been my least favourite season ever: including the 90s.

Thought Thiago looked good though and in parts we looked very threatening. But we seem to have transformed from mentality monsters to origami F.C. we just fold under any pressure.

I think that’s it now regarding top 4. Top 6 isn’t guaranteed.

It’s europa or nothing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #516: Apr 24, 2021 09:04:29 pm

Yes - there will be no doubt that we will be able to attract the players the manager wants

They may well not be the players the fans want

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #517: Apr 24, 2021 09:12:46 pm
      We dominated for 90 mins, had a sh*t load of good chances, some of them well saved, some of them narrowly wide and some of them went through poor decision making.  We played a high line, and were almost caught a couple of times. They sucker punched us at the end.

Cheers. So we didn't run out of steam like we have been doing? At least that is something, cos up to now it's looked like we just can't keep the pace up for 90 mins.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #518: Apr 24, 2021 09:38:38 pm
      The most worrying thing is we don’t seem to be learning. We leak goals, we can’t hang onto 1-0. We’d be much better off with the gung ho approach we had 3 seasons ago.

They just don’t seem to have the energy for that anymore. 65 mins snd we’d be battered suffering exhaustion
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #519: Apr 24, 2021 09:48:56 pm
      Perhaps JĂźrgen can explain his strange subs. At least we might have a bit more understanding of why he does what he does.
      Up to now they’ve mostly cost us by upsetting the rythm and cohesion of the play, at the times we are on top.

I just don’t get it at all 🤷‍♂️
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #520: Apr 24, 2021 09:56:33 pm
      I just want the season to end, get VVD back and start fresh
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #521: Apr 24, 2021 09:59:04 pm
      Game along with the rest of the season highlighted the real giants within the team mainly VVD and Henderson.

These lot are just mentality midgets who sh*t their pants at any slight pressure.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #522: Apr 24, 2021 10:55:37 pm
      Hi mate, you talk about JK being 'under par'. How about this, the man man lost his mother not so long ago, and because of lockdown, could not even attend her funeral. Have some empathy, he is not a robot, how would you feel? Jk himself will say its business as usual, but it must have/is effecting his direction.

I'm not mad at the man, nor do I not sympathize with his situation. I just saw my grandmother the other day, the woman who raised me, for the first time in over a year. She lives in a assisted living facility and we haven't been able to see her until now due to covid. It was bittersweet seeing her, because the year in solitude really didn't do her dementia ant favors. She didn't remember that she had two great  grandkids (they are 5-7 and she's known them all her life).

It sucks man. I left there very disheartened. But as calloused as this sounds, life goes on. My wife and kids still need me everyday, drug dealers don't stop dealing because of my situation. I'm a cop so I'm definitely a little jaded ;D, but I'm just saying we play the hand we're dealt.

I love Klopp and said sacking him is nonsense. All I did was mention he has a part in this season to play too.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2021 12:15:51 am by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #523: Apr 24, 2021 11:11:28 pm

Totally respect this point of view, fair play.

Counter actable by the fact the man has a team of  outstanding people working  with him, hes not alone plus hes not the type of man to use the above as an excuse.

Converstion rate and tactics are F***ing us up no more no less
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,139 posts | 1195 
      Reply #524: Apr 24, 2021 11:55:40 pm
      Game along with the rest of the season highlighted the real giants within the team mainly VVD and Henderson.

These lot are just mentality midgets who sh*t their pants at any slight pressure.

That’s been the most disappointing thing about this whole clusterfuck of a season. Players not stepping up and showing courage and fortitude in a time of difficulty.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #525: Apr 25, 2021 02:00:57 am
      That’s been the most disappointing thing about this whole clusterfuck of a season. Players not stepping up and showing courage and fortitude in a time of difficulty.

This is so true. I remember when we went top after beating Palace and thinking “wow, did we maybe overrate Van dijks influence on this team?”

Obviously a ridiculous assessment. Even more so now but it was proper knee jerk beating a team 7-0 away from home and with a makeshift defence.

Since then we’ve seen the ‘mentality monsters’  label has been used on the wrong players. They’ve gone into a shell since the West Brom game and haven’t come out since. So disappointed in a group of players we all genuinely believed in.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #526: Apr 25, 2021 08:47:48 am
      I don't think I've read the usual "we deserved to draw that" knee jerk response after that game. We bossed it completely, and sh*t our pants in injury time.  Hard to take that result but I've watched football for a long time and it happens more often than it should in games.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #527: Apr 25, 2021 09:39:59 am
      I don't think I've read the usual "we deserved to draw that" knee jerk response after that game. We bossed it completely, and sh*t our pants in injury time.  Hard to take that result but I've watched football for a long time and it happens more often than it should in games.

We had many great chances especially Mane,Jota and Mo but they fluffed their lines badly so if you don't take that many chances you don't deserve to win.The ratio of from shots to goals is not even Sunday league standards,truly shocking, and the high line is becoming so frustrating,we get what we deserve if we can't defend and can't score.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #528: Apr 25, 2021 09:42:14 am
      We had many great chances especially Mane,Jota and Mo but they fluffed their lines badly so if you don't take that many chances you don't deserve to win.The ratio of from shots to goals is not even Sunday league standards,truly shocking, and the high line is becoming so frustrating,we get what we deserve if we can't defend and can't score.

If you don't take chances, there's always the chance you'll be made to pay for it, but Newcastle were sh*t and didn't deserve a draw.

Quick Reply