Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson Becker
      5 (7.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Ozan Kabak
      10 (15.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (9.5%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      33 (52.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.9%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2021 02:25:58 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16074 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Apr 25, 2021 11:47:09 am
      One thing Iā€™ve noticed with a lot of comments in various match threads on here is the hope that once VVD is back we will be better defensively.
      Those kind of injuries can ruin a footballer. Especially as VVD is nearly 30 now. Look at Ox after his injury. In fact the list of players never quite recovering is fairly extensive.

I hope he comes back to his best but we should make sure our next signing is an already quality player. Not a youngster. We also have no idea when VVD will actually be match ready. Being back in training is one thing but being match ready is something else.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #530: Apr 25, 2021 12:09:01 pm
      Watched the highlights again and I must say that, that big lad Saint Maximim dribbled rings around us the whole game.
      How Fabhinho stayed on the pitch after he took yer man out towards the end is beyond me..(Scales got a straight red the other night against Villa for a similar challenge) and Kabak was lucky too after 10 minutes..
      It depresses me that we have resorted to these kind of tactics.. We are Liverpool Football Club and that kind of game is not in our encyclopedia.. I hate that ā€œTaking one for the teamā€ sh*t !!

When you think that Mane netted 22 goals last season and has only scored 8 this season, it sums this clusterfuck of a season up.
      As for Firmino, heā€™s our number 9 for Christā€™s sake.. no goal in 14 games.. not good enough Iā€™m afraid.

For my pennies worth I would seriously think about moving Trent into midfield next season and buying a right back.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #531: Apr 25, 2021 12:26:10 pm
      Watched the highlights again and I must say that, that big lad Saint Maximim dribbled rings around us the whole game.
      How Fabhinho stayed on the pitch after he took yer man out towards the end is beyond me..(Scales got a straight red the other night against Villa for a similar challenge) and Kabak was lucky too after 10 minutes..
      It depresses me that we have resorted to these kind of tactics.. We are Liverpool Football Club and that kind of game is not in our encyclopedia.. I hate that ā€œTaking one for the teamā€ sh*t !!

When you think that Mane netted 22 goals last season and has only scored 8 this season, it sums this clusterfuck of a season up.
      As for Firmino, heā€™s our number 9 for Christā€™s sake.. no goal in 14 games.. not good enough Iā€™m afraid.

For my pennies worth I would seriously think about moving Trent into midfield next season and buying a right back.

Sorry but Fab did what he needed to do can't think of any player who wouldn't unless possibly already on a yellow what do you expect him to do usher him through for a clear run at goal
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #532: Apr 25, 2021 12:30:57 pm

Yeah would like to see TAA in the midfield. Will see what kind of transfer kitty we get. Can see us going for that saint maximim. Certainly more likely him than mbappe.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #533: Apr 25, 2021 12:40:37 pm

Both were yellows, nothing more than. Fabinho just blocked him off, absolutely no contact on asm's face, asm played well but went down like a big fanny every time. As for we are liverpool and we shouldn't resort to that. I am old enough to remember far worse than that

https://youtu.be/VDi2SW2FzP0
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #534: Apr 25, 2021 01:03:07 pm
      I look forward to the day we can have Fabinho,Thiago , and Hendo in our midfield again . We do need a striker option to change things around because at the moment we just lob balls into the box or try to walk it in .Defence I think will be gone with Virgil back alongside Nat or Kabak ,Think Joe Gomez is too injury prone
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #535: Apr 25, 2021 01:15:30 pm
      We are Liverpool Football Club and that kind of game is not in our encyclopedia.. I hate that ā€œTaking one for the teamā€ sh*t !!

We need more of it. We're far too nice a team
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #536: Apr 25, 2021 06:46:58 pm
      We need more of it. We're far too nice a team

Both were yellows, nothing more than. Fabinho just blocked him off, absolutely no contact on asm's face, asm played well but went down like a big fanny every time. As for we are liverpool and we shouldn't resort to that. I am old enough to remember far worse than that

https://youtu.be/VDi2SW2FzP0

Look... I'm not saying we shouldn't play hard and tackle hard but we all know that the game of football has changed since the days Souness and Case ruled our midfield.. Thiago goes in hard but he opens himself up to an instant yellow every time.Milner goes in hard too and often pays the price of a yellow.
      We haven't replaced, and never will, Gerrard's crunching tackles and ball winning challenges either.
      Back in the day the tackles actually looked worse than they were because both players went for the ball and the ball only... not the man !... unless on the odd occasion the red mist had come down and revenge took over.

The modern game tackles and injuries are usually caused by standing on the top of the ballet dancing boots they all wear and the flight of the tattooed Bumble Bee dive through the air followed by the amateur dramatics.
      Grown men they are !! on more money than you or I could ever dream of in a lifetime. !!

FK - I'm old enough to remember too... Phil Thompson pulling John O'Hare back in 78 against Forest, but at least we got punished for that.. and he stayed on the pitch..

the debate goes on...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #537: Apr 25, 2021 08:05:14 pm
      Sorry but Fab did what he needed to do can't think of any player who wouldn't unless possibly already on a yellow what do you expect him to do usher him through for a clear run at goal

But he shouldnā€™t be anywhere near CB. I thought weā€™d all established that?

rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #538: Apr 25, 2021 08:23:44 pm

But he shouldnā€™t be anywhere near CB. I thought weā€™d all established that?

Not sure your point CB or CM point applies
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #539: Apr 25, 2021 08:28:06 pm
      Not sure your point CB or CM point applies

Point is playing Fabinho at CB weakens the midfield, regardless of how good he is at either position. I thought JK had realised this some weeks ago so donā€™t understand why reverting back to it...

rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #540: Apr 25, 2021 08:30:18 pm
      Point is playing Fabinho at CB weakens the midfield, regardless of how good he is at either position. I thought JK had realised this some weeks ago so donā€™t understand why reverting back to it...

Don't disagree but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about although as I say agree with you
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #541: Apr 25, 2021 09:23:01 pm
      Look... I'm not saying we shouldn't play hard and tackle hard but we all know that the game of football has changed since the days Souness and Case ruled our midfield.. Thiago goes in hard but he opens himself up to an instant yellow every time.Milner goes in hard too and often pays the price of a yellow.
      We haven't replaced, and never will, Gerrard's crunching tackles and ball winning challenges either.
      Back in the day the tackles actually looked worse than they were because both players went for the ball and the ball only... not the man !... unless on the odd occasion the red mist had come down and revenge took over.

The modern game tackles and injuries are usually caused by standing on the top of the ballet dancing boots they all wear and the flight of the tattooed Bumble Bee dive through the air followed by the amateur dramatics.
      Grown men they are !! on more money than you or I could ever dream of in a lifetime. !!

FK - I'm old enough to remember too... Phil Thompson pulling John O'Hare back in 78 against Forest, but at least we got punished for that.. and he stayed on the pitch..

the debate goes on...

That john o'hare one always looked outside the area but I get your point
      LiverpoolReds90
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #542: Apr 25, 2021 11:30:37 pm
      the front 4 missed so many chances it was crazy and the ending was  painful i was  :f_steam:  but it happens in soccer on to the next game.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #543: Apr 25, 2021 11:33:53 pm
      Can we go back to the New Balance uniforms. These Nike uniforms has seemed to have sucked all their confidence and mojo away.
      ;D
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #544: Apr 26, 2021 06:42:48 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #545: Apr 26, 2021 08:40:09 am
      Not even arsed now. just get the season over.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #546: Apr 26, 2021 09:10:36 am
      We do need a striker option to change things around

Thought that was what Jota was bought for ?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #547: Apr 26, 2021 09:25:37 am
      Players like Saintmaximin will do anyone for pace if thereā€™s space behind you. Thatā€™s why you canā€™t afford to play a high line if you done have searing pace at the back to match it.
      The issue I have is, sides play deep to nullify our pace with Sadio, Robbo and Mo, and we continue to play into their hands, and give them the opportunity to exploit that space behind our slow back four.
      Why the F**k arenā€™t we learning from this, game after game after game ?
      The whole situation is more worrying than just the barcodes performance. They are pretty crap all round. The one piece of ammo they have, we set up to let them use it ! WTF !
      You wouldnā€™t let a kids side be left open to that advantage would you ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #548: Apr 26, 2021 06:17:17 pm
      I look forward to the day we can have Fabinho,Thiago , and Hendo in our midfield again . We do need a striker option to change things around because at the moment we just lob balls into the box or try to walk it in .Defence I think will be gone with Virgil back alongside Nat or Kabak ,Think Joe Gomez is too injury prone

I saw a stat today, think we are winless with Fabinho in defense this year, but a very good record with him in midfield. Not sure why we persist with the experiment. Stats and results don't bear it out.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #549: Apr 26, 2021 06:38:20 pm
      How many times has that happened now? I know itā€™s not but seems like every F***ing game. Should have been 6 up and out of sight.
      Was no surprise when the equaliser went in. Seems like a magnet turns on with 10 mins to go 😫
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #550: Apr 26, 2021 07:25:26 pm
      How many times has that happened now? I know itā€™s not but seems like every f**king game. Should have been 6 up and out of sight.
      Was no surprise when the equaliser went in. Seems like a magnet turns on with 10 mins to go 😫

Surly it a mental problem that they can't get there heads around
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #551: Apr 26, 2021 09:29:32 pm
      I'm not mad at the man, nor do I not sympathize with his situation. I just saw my grandmother the other day, the woman who raised me, for the first time in over a year. She lives in a assisted living facility and we haven't been able to see her until now due to covid. It was bittersweet seeing her, because the year in solitude really didn't do her dementia ant favors. She didn't remember that she had two great  grandkids (they are 5-7 and she's known them all her life).

It sucks man. I left there very disheartened. But as calloused as this sounds, life goes on. My wife and kids still need me everyday, drug dealers don't stop dealing because of my situation. I'm a cop so I'm definitely a little jaded ;D, but I'm just saying we play the hand we're dealt.

I love Klopp and said sacking him is nonsense. All I did was mention he has a part in this season to play too.

I am really sorry for your situation, we are going thro' the same thing as far as this is my mother in law, but my one, is her carer. she comes home very upset and like you I feel helpless. All I can offer you is to remind your kids of the good times, and drum it into them how special she is, and how much she loves them. Put that in there minds, and they will love her forever.  I hope it helps you and your wife also.
      Family comes first
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021 09:42:49 pm by redtiler »

Quick Reply