Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Accounts 2019/20 - £46M loss

Read 11239 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: LFC Accounts 2019/20 - £46M loss
      Reply #23: Apr 28, 2021 09:27:58 am
      Every club will be the same.

Might actually see reductions in the stupid prices clubs want for players now.

Losses made = we need money

All other clubs made losses = less money to buy our players.

Maybe not
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #24: Apr 28, 2021 11:41:34 am
      Every club will be the same.

Might actually see reductions in the stupid prices clubs want for players now.

Losses made = we need money

All other clubs made losses = less money to buy our players.

Maybe not

Or it will see the idea of £77 a ticket again to make up the costs.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #25: Apr 28, 2021 11:43:49 am

Haha

Let’s hope you aren’t their advisor

I don’t even think these would be as thick to try his again, but even if they did, right now?  :D :D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Apr 28, 2021 11:55:52 am
      We now have the second highest wage bill only 20m behind City and well in front of Chelsea. So we are competing with them a crying shame we’ve had the like of Naby and Ox hitting 6 figures a week. Was masked by our success on field last year but this season everything’s out in the wash.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #27: Apr 28, 2021 12:05:32 pm
      We now have the second highest wage bill only 20m behind City and well in front of Chelsea. So we are competing with them a crying shame we’ve had the like of Naby and Ox hitting 6 figures a week. Was masked by our success on field last year but this season everything’s out in the wash.

We're paying a lot of wages to either sit on the bench or the treatment room.

You can bet this is being looked at I'm great detail and a plan to start to reverse this during the summer.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Apr 28, 2021 12:14:10 pm

You can bet this is being looked at I'm great detail and a plan to start to reverse this during the summer.

I would expect any club will regularly look at it's wage bill to see what value they are getting for what they are paying. The decision-making over whether to continue on with an under-performing player or cut him loose can be trickier than simply declaring on a message board yea or nay. It did feel in that Champions League game like Naby had maybe crossed a threshold on his way out. We'll see
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #29: Apr 28, 2021 12:17:54 pm
      I would expect any club will regularly look at it's wage bill to see what value they are getting for what they are paying. The decision-making over whether to continue on with an under-performing player or cut him loose can be trickier than simply declaring on a message board yea or nay. It did feel in that Champions League game like Naby had maybe crossed a threshold on his way out. We'll see

Of course mate and I think one or two of our players have made that decision easier, or at least the reluctance of the manager to pick them has as well.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #30: Apr 28, 2021 12:28:03 pm
      I'm surprised the wage bill hasn't been trimmed by reducing the amount of non football related staff.
      No surprise the losses are so high,  covid has screwed every club financially.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #31: Apr 28, 2021 04:24:51 pm
      When we make a loss, the wage bill comes up. When we don’t win enough, the we should recruit better players comes up. Recruiting/attracting better players will cause deeper losses.

If the owners do not plug the losses or finance player recruitment, they’re damned. We all expect the owners to find money from elsewhere (don’t care how and no idea from where) to bankroll our player recruitment. We stay positive by saying sell to someone better. How much will the owners offer and who will buy at their valuation and bankroll our player recruitment thereafter?

I’ve learnt that saying sell out, get out, bankroll us, is so easy. But thinking deeper about the possibilities and the other moving parts, these at the end of the day are just wishes. We can look and stare at fairy tale Man City and compare. We will never get there. Just walk on with lots of hope in our hearts we get a man City type of owner eventually.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #32: Apr 28, 2021 04:51:20 pm

I'm assuming the club have some form of insurance in place for longer term injuries, or maybe just career ending ones?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Apr 28, 2021 04:53:21 pm

They dare not
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #34: Apr 28, 2021 06:35:03 pm
      Surprised our wage bill is what it is. I remember a time when Chelsea’s wage bill was astronomical compared to ours but seems to be a bit more even these days. I wonder how much of that is down to bonuses and performance related pay from us winning the CL? How many players can you say are actually worth their wage?
      CT_LFC
      • Started Topic

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #35: Apr 28, 2021 06:44:58 pm
      Surprised our wage bill is what it is. I remember a time when Chelsea’s wage bill was astronomical compared to ours but seems to be a bit more even these days. I wonder how much of that is down to bonuses and performance related pay from us winning the CL? How many players can you say are actually worth their wage?

Despite people bitching and moaning and crying crocodile tears this team has world class players all over the squad.

Alisson, Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Thiago, etc etc are not here playing at a bargain out of their kindness of their heart.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #36: Apr 28, 2021 07:11:34 pm
      Someone who could enable us to compete with City of Chelsea

So you have absolutely no idea. You just want someone to spend the same as the £2billion ADFC have to assemble a squad even although we won the the CL and the League without doing that. Hmmm.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #37: Apr 28, 2021 07:23:17 pm

More likely
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #38: Apr 28, 2021 07:56:42 pm

Despite people bitching and moaning and crying crocodile tears this team has world class players all over the squad.

Alisson, Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Thiago, etc etc are not here playing at a bargain out of their kindness of their heart.

Yes but seems to have happened fairly recently with some of it accounted for in performance related bonuses from winning the CL.

I think I’m right in saying City (& the Munts) have spent a good deal more than we have on wages since Klopp’s arrival and that their top earners will be on quite a bit more than ours.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #39: Apr 29, 2021 12:01:24 pm
      People wanting Man City owners

Same owners who wanted Man City in the super league but their supporters don't go crazy on them because they are ultra rich and they cheat their way into spending more than what the club earns and excuses of  "how they care about Man City" or they are "protecting their legacy" BS (What legacy?!?!) when the owners themselves are into making more money.

Yet when it comes to our owners who aren't as rich it's different. Fans complain about "not spending enough", How can we spend when the club is barely breaking even with no fans and no match day revenue during 2 years of the pandemic.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #40: Apr 29, 2021 01:30:06 pm
      People wanting Man City owners

Same owners who wanted Man City in the super league but their supporters don't go crazy on them because they are ultra rich and they cheat their way into spending more than what the club earns and excuses of  "how they care about Man City" or they are "protecting their legacy" BS (What legacy?!?!) when the owners themselves are into making more money.

Yet when it comes to our owners who aren't as rich it's different. Fans complain about "not spending enough", How can we spend when the club is barely breaking even with no fans and no match day revenue during 2 years of the pandemic.

We didn't spend on the back of winning the Champion's League either so I don't think it has anything to do with revenue...I think it's just that the owners won't spend anything they don't make off of sales. Which I guess is what they always said they would...but that doesn't mean people have to like it.
      CT_LFC
      • Started Topic

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #41: Apr 29, 2021 01:31:22 pm
      We didn't spend on the back of winning the Champion's League either so I don't think it has anything to do with revenue...I think it's just that the owners won't spend anything they don't make off of sales. Which I guess is what they always said they would...but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

If that was the case our net spend would be zero, which is not, therefore this is obviously false.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42: Apr 29, 2021 01:41:11 pm
      If that was the case our net spend would be zero, which is not, therefore this is obviously false.
      Don't be a pedant.

Something like 75m over Klopp's first four seasons? That's not even 20m per year.

Chump change.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #43: Apr 29, 2021 02:00:36 pm
      Don't be a pedant.

Something like 75m over Klopp's first four seasons? That's not even 20m per year.

Chump change.

Where else do people expect the money to come from ?

The club spends the money it makes from all avenues

I have no idea when the fascination started about net bloody spend

Will always ask - imagine it’s 1987 , Liverpool sell Ian Rush and use the funds to buy players like Beardsley and Barnes - did we cry about net spend then or using a player being sold to help finance a player arriving - or even when we sold Keegan and Kenny arrived - it just happened and we moved on.

Right now far too much focus on net F***ing spend and using player sales to help fund players arriving - so what 🤷‍♂️ It’s what we have always done

Club gets money from multiple sources
      Club uses money to spend on multiple areas

Simple
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #44: Apr 29, 2021 02:02:41 pm
      Yes but seems to have happened fairly recently with some of it accounted for in performance related bonuses from winning the CL.

I think I’m right in saying City (& the Munts) have spent a good deal more than we have on wages since Klopp’s arrival and that their top earners will be on quite a bit more than ours.

According to the Swiss Ramble analysis of the accounts; "Despite the revenue fall, #LFC wage bill rose £16m (5%) from £310m to £326m. Highly incentivized bonus scheme for winning the Premier League, Champions League, etc. Wages have increased by £117m (56%) in the last 3 years, the highest growth of the Big Six.".

Following this growth, #LFC £326m wages are now second highest in the Premier League, only below #MCFC £351m. They overtook #MUFC £284m last season and are also ahead of #CFC £283m, #AFC £225m, #THFC £181m and #EFC £165m. Should fall this season, due to lower performance bonuses.

Wages to turnover ratio has also increased (although not as much as others in the PL apparently): #LFC wages to turnover ratio worsened from 58% to 66%, the club’s highest since 2016, though this was still one of the better results in the Premier League. If we adjust for the estimated COVID revenue loss, it would have been a highly respectable 59%.

There's lots of other interesting graphs and numbers you can look at here: https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1387289812282101760
      CT_LFC
      • Started Topic

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #45: Apr 29, 2021 02:42:25 pm
      Don't be a pedant.

Chump change.

Pedant? you're the one making absolute statements such as "won't spend anything they don't make off of sales" which is clearly false.

The past 5 years Klopp has had a net spend in excess of 150M GBP.

If you want them to spend like City, Chelsea and United and are unhappy with our total spend, fine, but at least present facts.

Quick Reply