Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

POSTPONED: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League

Read 25576 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: POSTPONED: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League
      Reply #414: May 02, 2021 11:58:46 pm
      Ours are not the worst but stil went behind backs. And not for the first time.Apologies after your caught wears thin but its constant with them

Agree, but if you think we can go on and fight for the title and fight the owners at the same time, you're crazy. It's why Klopp mentioned when talking about the ESL he kept referring to FSG as "not bad people." You want to start a fight about the ownership and it'll get dirty and definitely effect the playing side of things. That is what Klopp was thinking when he made his statement, if we're to fight City, he still wants everyone onside.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #415: May 03, 2021 12:00:55 am
      Liverpool Football Club statement

Liverpool Football Club was in full agreement with the decision to postpone today’s fixture as a result of ongoing events at Old Trafford and the surrounding area.

It is our position that public safety must be the number one factor in any such decision, with the ability to provide a secure environment for the participants, staff and officials being a particular priority.

It was clearly not possible for this to be guaranteed today due to a situation which escalated rapidly.

We will continue to have dialogue with Manchester United, the Premier League and the local authorities to find a suitable date to reschedule.

As soon as we have this information we will update our supporters accordingly.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/432903-liverpool-football-club-statement-may-2021?fbclid=IwAR0TxgpATh9jxmm94SuhxTELr7-CpMPJtrAXOHnBWZToXyYEAY87JjqswgU

Nice to see we are still following United's lead just like we did posting their Super League announcement on our website. Sheesh.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #416: May 03, 2021 12:02:05 am
      Agree, but if you think we can go on and fight for the title and fight the owners at the same time, you're crazy. It's why Klopp mentioned when talking about the ESL he kept referring to FSG as "not bad people." You want to start a fight about the ownership and it'll get dirty and definitely effect the playing side of things. That is what Klopp was thinking when he made his statement, if we're to fight City, he still wants everyone onside.

As much as I'd like to see them gone (in favor of someone better...don't know who that is though) I can't imagine that's going to happen so it is what it is. The hope would be that maybe they'll loosen the purse strings a bit to appease the fans and get us back on top again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #417: May 03, 2021 12:02:17 am
      Nice to see we are still following United's lead just like we did posting their Super League announcement on our website. Sheesh.

We're not following any lead, if you think either club had a say in the decision, you're mistaken. The Police called that one.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #418: May 03, 2021 12:04:52 am
      We're not following any lead, if you think either club had a say in the decision, you're mistaken. The Police called that one.

We should have said "We're here, ready to play and fulfill our obligation...if United can't host safely then they can fofeit"

But our owners have become a little too cozy with the Glazers so they aren't going to start any fights like that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #419: May 03, 2021 12:04:59 am
      As much as I'd like to see them gone (in favor of someone better...don't know who that is though) I can't imagine that's going to happen so it is what it is. 

Only way that happens is if someone has a spare $4 billion lying around.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #420: May 03, 2021 12:05:09 am

Which is why 2 weeks ago I posted who do we all want in? The cry to remove the current owners was loud, but who are realistic buyers? For me, until we answer that no rush on outing these.

My support for what went on today is fans standing up for themselves for their club and the wish it to be ran in the right way. If we disagree with today based on who they are rather then why they done it I think the billionaire owners will always win
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #421: May 03, 2021 12:05:59 am
      My support for what went on today is fans standing up for themselves for their club and the wish it to be ran in the right way. If we disagree with today based on who they are rather then why they done it I think the billionaire owners will always win

Their club has been run this way for years...they haven't cared till now? Please....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #422: May 03, 2021 12:07:43 am
      We should have said "We're here, ready to play and fulfill our obligation...if United can't host safely then they can fofeit"

But our owners have become a little too cozy with the Glazers so they aren't going to start any fights like that.

Their fans had both hotels surrounded at points, so that was part of the reason the Police called it. I imagine once our lot seen the scenes they probably thought "F**k it" and agreed to the postponement.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #423: May 03, 2021 12:08:35 am
      Only way that happens is if someone has a spare $4 billion lying around.

I bet they wouldn't sell for that even.....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #424: May 03, 2021 12:12:57 am
      I bet they wouldn't sell for that even.....

From everything I've read and heard, that seems to be the asking price. It's double what we're supposed to worth.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #425: May 03, 2021 12:19:06 am
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #426: May 03, 2021 12:22:24 am
      Which is why 2 weeks ago I posted who do we all want in? The cry to remove the current owners was loud, but who are realistic buyers? For me, until we answer that no rush on outing these.

I don't disagree with protesting or wanting their owners out. I disagree with throwing flares into the stand, invading the pitch, going into the changing room, wrecking the goals, throwing missiles at the cops, breaking into the stadium, etc. How does that advance some position of theirs? That's anarchy, not group protest.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021 12:34:47 am by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #427: May 03, 2021 12:25:28 am

Think the guy who tries and fails to kick in the door is the same one we see later throwing the camera tripod off the platform. Later he is trying to run up the stairs which unfortunately gives us far too much a view of his bum for extended periods of time.  :-[

I'd say he has the leading chance of getting arrested if he hasn't already.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #428: May 03, 2021 12:25:49 am
      I don't disagree with protesting or wanting their owners out. I disagree with throwing flares into the stand, invading the pitch, going into the hanging room, wrecking the goals, throwing missiles at the cops, breaking into the stadium, etc. How does that advance some position of theirs? That's anarchy, not group protest.

That's footballing protesting. Your yank group protesting should be forgotten about, different rules la!!

No Pyro, no F***ing party!!

And don't take the moral high ground about throwing flares into stands, shaky ground there with our lot ;)
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #429: May 03, 2021 12:27:05 am
      Ours are not the worst but stil went behind backs.

FSG's LFC business model is fu**ed. So is United's business model. So is Arsenal's. So is Spurs'.

Manchester City's lawyers saw to that in the courts.

All of those first four clubs' owners need FFP to be enforced properly, or they need new business models, hence the ESL.

There's absolutely f all for us to be protesting about as Liverpool fans other than the lack of FFP, or some other sort of mechanism that works to level the playing field.

If FFP is legally unenforceable at either European level (proven) and a UK level, which it is, then the only option is for the other Premier League clubs to boot City out so we can have a fair contest. The question is, why haven't they? Surely they can just put it to a majority vote? Maybe they're getting so blind rich from all the TV money they don't want to rock the boat. Or don't care about a fair contest. Or both.

Manchester City are the enemy here, not FSG.

If FSG had started asking Klopp, the players, the fans, what we thought about entering this new ESL competition, 'the Cuckold 14' would have been straight into a meeting and getting us kicked out the Premier League while ESL was only a vague sort of idea. We'd be a football club without a league to play in. FSG had no option but to tell nobody, not even Klopp.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #430: May 03, 2021 12:37:43 am
      That's footballing protesting. Your yank group protesting should be forgotten about, different rules la!!

No Pyro, no f**king party!!

And don't take the moral high ground about throwing flares into stands, shaky ground there with our lot ;)

It is true that there is a cultural disconnect with some of this for me. I should just step back, listen, watch, read and learn. (I'll maintain my position on throwing rocks at cops. No justification there.

Wasn't trying to take moral high ground us vs. them. Understand one guy throwing a flare might equal one yob throwing a bottle at a coach.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #431: May 03, 2021 12:37:58 am
      https://twitter.com/robbohuyton/status/1388936831174070278

A piece from Gareth Roberts:

THE biggest football match in the English calendar.

Arguably its most saleable asset, given the worldwide audience that tunes in for it, cancelled due to supporter protest.

TV companies around the world left filling and flapping, laying bare how far out of touch they really are with football supporters. Tell you what lads, speak to them. I imagine it would have been more interesting than claiming oligarchs and billionaires are true football fans and good for the game, but maybe that’s just me.

Today shone a harsh light on how far people have been wrung out by the modern game. Forgot where it was and who was doing it, this is people like us, who love their club, and love the game, at the end of their tether with owners that care about nothing but cash.

Values? Culture? The city? The fans? History? Loyalty? The name of the football club and what it stands for? None of it. They just want more noughts in the bank.

We had a taste of it with Hicks and Gillett. It was like sipping battery acid. They have been living through the Glazers’ ownership for 15 years plus. We’ve been lucky.

The Super League plans were just another twist of the knife. Here we can decide for ourselves what we think of our owners, minus Gary Neville dishing out orders on his high horse. The consensus — for now — is what are you going to do to fix it, Boston? And that it needs to be something meaningful this time.

There, they have had enough. They have played nice. They have sent letters. Waved scarves. Sang songs. Campaigned via the internet. All the stuff the clueless suggested they should be doing again today.

So what was the next step? Today. Today was the next step. It’s created a huge story. A global debate. And surely some of that will look beyond the tabloid and ask why this time. Because that question has been lacking for so long. Not just not answered. It wasn’t even acknowledged that it was asked.

As long as there are bums on seats, right?

Or, the other one — ah, it’s just football fans. Bit mad them. Let’s throw a few stereotypes around. Move on.

No, don’t. Stop. Think. Listen. Take us seriously. Because we’re serious.

Protect clubs. Protect them as community assets, which is exactly what us supporters think of them as. Do it now and do it properly.

This could and should be different now. It can be a catalyst. Give the Government reform real teeth. Don’t paint supporters who have dedicated decades of their lives to supporting clubs as the bad guys.

And pundits. Ex players. Journalists. Ask. Talk. Listen to the concerns of the people who have clicked through the turnstiles for generations.

Leveraged buyouts, debt loading, fleecing of fans, and proposed changes that take the sport out of sport. The killing of clubs through bad financial practice and management. The tearing up of tradition. The tax on loyalty. The squeezing of every last penny.

There was always going to be a tipping point. Today it tipped for many.

We should be better over here than turning to the tabloid of all this when the tabloids have stitched us up, too. Was some of it out of hand? Undoubtedly. Did most of it make a point that desperately needed to be made? Absolutely.

Don’t kid yourselves into thinking it couldn’t have happened in Liverpool either. Once upon a time similar protests and similar ideas around disruption of TV games were discussed. Then, like now, it was born of frustration, born of anger, born of the perennial pisstake that much of football has become.

Today was a message. A disruptive protest. A display of feeling. There is a reason why fan groups, supporter organisations, even fan media, have grown and grown in recent years. Many feel our voice has got lost, drowned out by the ringing tills; silenced by the clatter of the gravy train. So we’re working together to make it louder. It was on 11 today.

Now, surely, clubs, the government, football organisations; surely they have to listen, to engage, to have meaningful conversation; to involve the people who truly love the whole damn thing.

People haven’t done what they’ve done today lightly. They’ve done what they’ve done today because they felt it was all they had left. That’s the story behind the story.

Ask why.

Keep asking why.

And then you’ll know.

If only they did that. If only.

Up The Reds,

Robbo
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #432: May 03, 2021 12:58:49 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #433: May 03, 2021 01:34:18 am
      Been on the ale all day in my mate's garden for his birthday shin dig. Managed to avoid the score. Looking forward to watching this now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #434: May 03, 2021 01:36:25 am
      Joking aside.

Know if proper Liverpool fans marched on the streets?

The likes of Heimdall and his tory mates in here,  they'd be getting marched over.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #435: May 03, 2021 01:41:28 am

Yes!

F**k the Matrix
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #436: May 03, 2021 01:52:36 am
      It is true that there is a cultural disconnect with some of this for me. I should just step back, listen, watch, read and learn. (I'll maintain my position on throwing rocks at cops. No justification there.

Wasn't trying to take moral high ground us vs. them. Understand one guy throwing a flare might equal one yob throwing a bottle at a coach.

Wasn't even referring to the bottle hitting the coach. Once you get into the direct action game the clashes with police are inevitable. It's something you have to be ready for when you make the decision to take the sort of action that stops matches.

sh*t happens.

Quick Reply