Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

POSTPONED: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League

Read 26305 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Pre match: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League - Sunday May 2nd. KO 16:30
      Reply #69: May 01, 2021 09:48:46 am
      It’s all doom and f***in gloom isn’t it, we’re gonna get f***in stuffed, we may as well not f***in bother, OGS will get the better of our JĂŒrgen, his players will outdo ours, we may as well play the ressies for all the good it will do, anybody got any rope ?

Can’t believe the amount of negativity on here AGAIN, actually I do, cos it’s almost always like this now, yes we’re having a sh*t season, sh*t happens, but this is the Manky Manks of Manksville, the Red bit of it, their not some world beating phenomenon, they have not exactly been tearing up trees for the past 8 months, they are a decent outfit playing above their station because no one else this season is close to the Citizens of Manky land, even the most mutant of MUtants would  argue that they in fact are not as good as they think they are, they are in good form that cannot be argued, but this is a rivalry, this two of the most successful clubs in British football, vying for the bragging rights for another season, Form goes out the window, it’s 11 V 11, that’s it in a nutshell,

So we go to the old toilet out of form, out of character, doesn’t look at all good does it, BUT, we have had a full week to prepare, we didn’t endure a gruelling a 95 minute mid-week encounter, albeit a cruise, our problem is stringing two halves together to make 90+, we have played reasonably well in those good halves, against this lot the players know they need to get it right , and I thing they will, but we will need to play Fabinho in midfield, if he plays at CB we could get over run by their mids, Bruno & Pogba are a worry,

Even at our worst we are a difficult opponent for them, they will obviously be favourites which suits us to a tee, we are much better away from  home and that kind of evens things out, it will be a tight game as always but i think we can sneak a win here, there’s more on it for us, so that gives us more of a edge,

Don’t think we’ll see a classic but you never know, 1-2, Jota & Mo bagging the goodies.

Y  N  W  A
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #70: May 01, 2021 09:56:03 am
      It would be great to beat Man United tomorrow and bring them back to earth, after their win on Thursday. Giving us something to cheer about after this truly awful season !
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 60 
      Reply #71: May 01, 2021 10:14:38 am
      Were not in sh*te form, should have won the last 3 matches easily including Madrid, just not taking our chances, but playing good football, hopefully the chances will fly in 😊
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 560 posts | 109 
      Reply #72: May 01, 2021 10:24:00 am
      No doubt the sh*t will get a penalty at some point but let's just score three Liverpool so their dodgy pen counts for nothing.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2714 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #73: May 01, 2021 10:25:19 am
      It’s all doom and f***in gloom isn’t it, we’re gonna get f***in stuffed, we may as well not f***in bother, OGS will get the better of our JĂŒrgen, his players will outdo ours, we may as well play the ressies for all the good it will do, anybody got any rope ?

Can’t believe the amount of negativity on here AGAIN, actually I do, cos it’s almost always like this now, yes we’re having a sh*t season, sh*t happens, but this is the Manky Manks of Manksville, the Red bit of it, their not some world beating phenomenon, they have not exactly been tearing up trees for the past 8 months, they are a decent outfit playing above their station because no one else this season is close to the Citizens of Manky land, even the most mutant of MUtants would  argue that they in fact are not as good as they think they are, they are in good form that cannot be argued, but this is a rivalry, this two of the most successful clubs in British football, vying for the bragging rights for another season, Form goes out the window, it’s 11 V 11, that’s it in a nutshell,

So we go to the old toilet out of form, out of character, doesn’t look at all good does it, BUT, we have had a full week to prepare, we didn’t endure a gruelling a 95 minute mid-week encounter, albeit a cruise, our problem is stringing two halves together to make 90+, we have played reasonably well in those good halves, against this lot the players know they need to get it right , and I thing they will, but we will need to play Fabinho in midfield, if he plays at CB we could get over run by their mids, Bruno & Pogba are a worry,

Even at our worst we are a difficult opponent for them, they will obviously be favourites which suits us to a tee, we are much better away from  home and that kind of evens things out, it will be a tight game as always but i think we can sneak a win here, there’s more on it for us, so that gives us more of a edge,

Don’t think we’ll see a classic but you never know, 1-2, Jota & Mo bagging the goodies.

Y  N  W  A

You've become one of my favourite posters this year Billy,  in  what's been difficult times for us all on and off the pitch in so many ways. In true Scouse style ( the kind I like) you say it the way it should be said yet still show respect at the same time.

It's 100% true, United are not as good as many think and still need probably 3/4 players to become title contenders. No bigger priority than defensively as still weak in that department. Much as United need a striker CB has to come first. Fred - Martial & Beek need to be sold to increase funds in the transfer department. Much as Ole doing decent job I still can't see him as our long term manager. However, he's doing decent job and as long as he brings Europa Cup home I'll put up with him for another years. ( not that I have a choice )

I can understand some of the negativity from Liverpool fans. However, what I can't take ( probably like yourself ) and get very frustrated by is the lack of knowledge Liverpool supporters have towards Klopp. I'm literally god smacked with some of the comments and it's got to a stage I don't like clicking on the Klopp thread because of it.

Bit like your first paragraph----  Oh I wish we had a Shitty manager like Klopp at OT. Just because he's had half a team for most of the year and not had a good bench is no excuse, he should be performing regardless. His changing formations patterns has got nothing to do with having a poor squad and little to choose from he just inept.  It's time to replace him, espically if he doesn't get top four, " no fcuk it" replace him anyway.  :lmao:

Back onto tomorrow's match.
      Yep it's as you said, form normally goes out of the window in these matches but I'm hoping not come Sunday.  ;D

If I could give you +2 for your post I would but unfortunately it can only be 1.  ;D

Ps... Your a true Liverpool supporter who knows how to show class when posting.  :)

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2714 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #74: May 01, 2021 10:31:30 am
      It would be great to beat Man United tomorrow and bring them back to earth, after their win on Thursday. Giving us something to cheer about after this truly awful season !

It's been a long time coming David but this is your cup final.  ;D  it's been a while  as a United fan that I've been able to say that.  :D. United are by no means back but least moving forward.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #75: May 01, 2021 10:32:37 am
      Were not in sh*te form, should have won the last 3 matches easily including Madrid, just not taking our chances, but playing good football, hopefully the chances will fly in 😊
      Yeah not taking our chances has been the story for a fair few months now and it has cost us big time,mo is the only one who has had a worthy contribution on the goal front and even then he could & should have added at least another ten to his current goal tally & that isn’t a dig at mo.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #76: May 01, 2021 11:00:17 am
      As good as we've played(albeit in patches) these last few games we have shown too much respect to the opposition.
      You've only got to look at how Chelsea took the game to Madrid the other night and pressed them back and should've won comfortably.
      Yes they had possession across the back like we do but the difference was they quickly moved the ball forward more and their midfield ran at them..

Looking back it's hard to believe we drew 1-1 with both Leeds and Newcastle despite the amount of possession and chances we had to wrap the game up, but both second half performances were piss poor and we showed both teams too much respect, allowing them stupid equalisers in the last 10 minutes..

Show this current Man U team too much respect and they'll tear our midfield up.
      Their frontline are flying high, let's make no bones about it..
      Never thought Cavani would settle there if I'm honest, but he is a out and out quality striker who knows where the back of the net is for sure.

It's whether our frontline have their scoring boots on.. I truly hope so !
      Shaw had Mo in his back pocket last time we played them, so maybe put Mane on the right against him?

Line up wise, I'd play a diamond formation with Firmino up top and Jones and Gini either side and Thiago at the base.
      Knowing JĂŒrgen, he'll settle for boring old Wijnaldum and Milner
      Kabak needs to be on his toes for this one and watch out for all the theatrical diving from the likes of Cavani and Pogba.

I'd take a draw right now.
      Show them no respect whatsoever and attack them and we cause an upset.. for sure.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #77: May 01, 2021 11:24:23 am
      You've become one of my favourite posters this year Billy,  in  what's been difficult times for us all on and off the pitch in so many ways. In true Scouse style ( the kind I like) you say it the way it should be said yet still show respect at the same time.

It's 100% true, United are not as good as many think and still need probably 3/4 players to become title contenders. No bigger priority than defensively as still weak in that department. Much as United need a striker CB has to come first. Fred - Martial & Beek need to be sold to increase funds in the transfer department. Much as Ole doing decent job I still can't see him as our long term manager. However, he's doing decent job and as long as he brings Europa Cup home I'll put up with him for another years. ( not that I have a choice )

I can understand some of the negativity from Liverpool fans. However, what I can't take ( probably like yourself ) and get very frustrated by is the lack of knowledge Liverpool supporters have towards Klopp. I'm literally god smacked with some of the comments and it's got to a stage I don't like clicking on the Klopp thread because of it.

Bit like your first paragraph----  Oh I wish we had a Shitty manager like Klopp at OT. Just because he's had half a team for most of the year and not had a good bench is no excuse, he should be performing regardless. His changing formations patterns has got nothing to do with having a poor squad and little to choose from he just inept.  It's time to replace him, espically if he doesn't get top four, " no fcuk it" replace him anyway.  :lmao:

Back onto tomorrow's match.
      Yep it's as you said, form normally goes out of the window in these matches but I'm hoping not come Sunday.  ;D

If I could give you +2 for your post I would but unfortunately it can only be 1.  ;D

Ps... Your a true Liverpool supporter who knows how to show class when posting.  :)

Thanks mate, your cheque is in the post,
      like you I just see it as it is mate, the table doesn’t lie, clubs are where they deserve to be going into the last half dozen games, City have basically ran away with it because of the lack of competition, ourselves have been decimated  by injuries ManU lacking quality, not sure OGS will be given the funds to remedy his situation, no doubt he will strengthen but to what extent?

Can’t see Glaziers forking out for the likes of Haaland or Mbappe, Kane is a possibility  but how much for and would you be happy spending upwards of ÂŁ90m+ for a player with glass ankles ?

Our situation is different, we have the quality already but will still need to strengthen in certain areas, ie; young fit reliable CB, Konate is a possibility, midfield area needs a refit, not sure Gini will be here, Jimmy’s legs another season older and another yard slower, Thiago isn’t always the correct pick, Jones still not the finished article, Henderson not as reliable as we would like, others at or beyond their peak, so not so much as a total clear out, more of a gradual rebuild starting with introducing young fit replacements,

We still have enough in our tank for another title challenge next season, with everyone fit and raring to go in August, we have young Harvey Elliot coming back from his brilliant loan spell with Blackburn, that’ll save us a few million from the transfer kitty, unlike a few on these boards I’m looking at the bigger picture, accepting that this season has been a total car crash, we still have one if not thee best managers on the planet, and we still have a well oiled machine that will be chomping at the bit, and wanting to put things right next season,

As for OGS, I’m sort of glad he’s doing well, at the moment, like you I think he’s still out of his depth, he will be found out next season when Man U will lack behind ourselves City, Chavs and possibly even Leicester, but to be fair to him reaching a European final is no mean task so credit where it’s due, I won’t go as far and say I hope you win it but, he has probably done enough already to keep him in his job, and that’s great news for us.

Your still a Manc Kunt tho   ;)

Y  N  W  A
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #78: May 01, 2021 11:39:04 am
      tw*t of a season and in general one total tw*t of a year but I’m F***ing well up for this one,( must be a F***ing masochist ).
      I hope to F**k that our front three take there chances tomorrow because fernandes & cafannie certainly won’t be F***ing around in & around the box
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2714 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #79: May 01, 2021 11:39:17 am

Can’t see Glaziers forking out for the likes of Haaland or Mbappe, Kane is a possibility  but how much for and would you be happy spending upwards of ÂŁ90m+ for a player with glass ankles ?

As for OGS, I’m sort of glad he’s doing well, at the moment, like you I think he’s still out of his depth, he will be found out next season when Man U will lack behind ourselves City, Chavs and possibly even Leicester, but to be fair to him reaching a European final is no mean task so credit where it’s due, I won’t go as far and say I hope you win it but, he has probably done enough already to keep him in his job, and that’s great news for us.

Your still a Manc Kunt tho   ;)

Y  N  W  A

Don't think Mbappe is even on our list but Haaland & Kane are espically if we sell the three I mentioned. Yeah your thoughts on Ole are spot on. City & Chavs are better than United's current side. However, if any of them get Kane -Haaland or Mbappe that we're in trouble regardless. United are a better side than Leicester though.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #80: May 01, 2021 01:23:51 pm
      It's been a long time coming David but this is your cup final.  ;D  it's been a while  as a United fan that I've been able to say that.  :D. United are by no means back but least moving forward.

What you are saying Keith, United and Liverpool are moving in opposite directions !!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2714 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #81: May 01, 2021 01:57:44 pm
      What you are saying Keith, United and Liverpool are moving in opposite directions !!

Well on stats yes  ;D However, as we both know it's been a freaky season and I certainly wouldn't use this year as a true guide with everthing that has happened. We won't get a true guide till things go back to some type of normality.

Hopefully that's next season. Ask me next year and I'll have a better guide.  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #82: May 01, 2021 04:57:38 pm
      Was thinking how much  more confident the Polish kid in our FA Youth Cup kid looked taking his chance (that he helped create) than our strikers have looked in front of goal recently. I'm not saying to put the kid in the first team (would be a terrible mistake, let him develop) but when you see him take that goal it's like "I faintly remember our forwards scoring goals like that...or maybe it was a dream I had."

Wish Sadio and Bobby could get an infusion of that sort of confidence, maybe for breakfast tomorrow.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #83: May 01, 2021 10:47:06 pm
      Was thinking how much  more confident the Polish kid in our FA Youth Cup kid looked taking his chance (that he helped create) than our strikers have looked in front of goal recently. I'm not saying to put the kid in the first team (would be a terrible mistake, let him develop) but when you see him take that goal it's like "I faintly remember our forwards scoring goals like that...or maybe it was a dream I had."

Wish Sadio and Bobby could get an infusion of that sort of confidence, maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

On the contrary, why not give him a spot. Recognise what hes doing and give the academy a salute. Why do we keep picking the same underperforming  players?

We can all name at least 9 of the 11 that will start. At least 7 of that 9 could be argued dont deserve it on form.

I know what your ssying, leave the lad develop but at the same time maybe boost his ego and give others a kick in the arse
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #84: May 01, 2021 10:59:27 pm
      I better see yellow cards.

I want them fighting with passion. This is scum away!

Whoever doesn't understand this fixture and doesn't show the level of fight required can sit the remainder out and go join the MLS
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #85: May 01, 2021 11:06:30 pm
      On the contrary, why not give him a spot. Recognise what hes doing and give the academy a salute. Why do we keep picking the same underperforming  players?

We can all name at least 9 of the 11 that will start. At least 7 of that 9 could be argued dont deserve it on form.

I know what your ssying, leave the lad develop but at the same time maybe boost his ego and give others a kick in the arse

My concern is that for all of our fan base's virtues, patience isn't one of them. I could see him getting in, struggling and then taking dog's abuse from a section of our support. I'd rather let him grow another season or so and be eased in. Likely him and Balagizi will be involved in preseason with the first team. I think they've both trained with the top group already, I'd rather they be eased in is all.

Maybe we'll have some matches the final game or two where the result won't matter to our Euro fortunes.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #86: May 01, 2021 11:09:03 pm
      My concern is that for all of our fan base's virtues, patience isn't one of them. I could see him getting in, struggling and then taking dog's abuse from a section of our support. I'd rather let him grow another season or so and be eased in. Likely him and Balagizi will be involved in preseason with the first team. I think they've both trained with the top group already, I'd rather they be eased in is all.

Maybe we'll have some matches the final game or two where the result won't matter to our Euro fortunes.

But with no crowds no pressure, not that I think their would be. Pressure might be from arses on forumns like this but that can be ignored
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #87: May 01, 2021 11:15:28 pm
      But with no crowds no pressure, not that I think their would be. Pressure might be from arses on forumns like this but that can be ignored

You make a good point about no crowds.

That said, I don't think JĂŒrgen is dropping anyone. I do expect some of the backups to leave this summer, maybe 4 or 5 of them.

Looking forward to preseason, the return of supporters and the return of Virgil, Joe, Joel and Jordan. If one of the kids can break into the first team next season (and I've said before the U18s look more promising than the (U23s), that would be great as well.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #88: May 01, 2021 11:32:32 pm
      Didn't see the Newcastle game, just as well, but we battered Madrid 0-0 and we were much the better side v Leeds till we ran out of gas second half. We're not playing that badly.

Looks like Klopp is going to play safe for the run-in. Milner seems to suddenly be in favour and to be fair he's been OK. Klopp seems to want as many 'captains' on the field as possible so he's going experienced and reliable over more adventurous selections like Curtis. Pretty much par for the course since he's been here, and given the last few years who can argue with him. Two greatest points tallies in our history. I'd still like to see Curtis in for this one though. He brings swagger to the side and God knows we could do with some of that after this season.

Hopefully it's Fab in defence with Oz again. I don't want to see the name "Phillips" tomorrow, or in fact ever again, unless it's on some vintage wireless set.

Phillips seems to be picking up some sort of fanboy cult following but he'd be lucky to get a gig with Tranmere when he leaves us.

He literally has no idea about marking strikers and he's what, 25? It's getting a bit late in the day to be discovering the concept of marking.

The first Real game it was like a bloody christmas panto:

Phillips - "Where's Benzema?"
      Everyone - "He's BEHIND you!"

All he has eyes for is the ball.

"Where's Benzema, Nat?"
      "Ball! Ball ball ball! Head da ball!"
      "No, Nat, Benzema, not ball. Benzema. Where's Benzema?"
      "No. Benzema."
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #89: May 02, 2021 03:10:31 am
      From The Guardian:

"Mohamed Salah had tossed his shirt away in celebration and Alisson, perhaps particularly eager to mark a rare assist, had sprinted 100 yards to become the first to join him when Anfield erupted into a chorus not heard there for years: “We’re gonna win the league,” declared those previously wary of sounding over-confident.

It was January 2020. Liverpool had taken 91 of 93 points available, were 16 clear at the top of the Premier League, 30 ahead of the defeated Manchester United. The visitors’ No 10 was not Bruno Fernandes, then a Sporting Lisbon player, but Andreas Pereira. The spectre of the unemployed Mauricio Pochettino threatened to haunt Ole Gunnar Solskjér.

Fifteen months after one of the last great spectator events in English football, much has changed. Anfield has rarely felt emptier than in this January’s stalemate with United, a great fixture reduced to a form of nothingness. But even that was preferable to what followed: Liverpool’s 68th and last league game unbeaten at home was the prelude to six straight defeats. The reunion with United comes with Liverpool’s reign almost over, kings potentially turned kingmakers. Manchester City are going to win the league and Liverpool could hasten their coronation at Old Trafford on Sunday.

They are 13 points behind United, which reflects well on SolskjĂŠr and JĂŒrgen Klopp has shown the generosity of spirit to praise his counterpart; Alex Ferguson and Rafa BenĂ­tez rarely traded compliments. These days the withering comments from Old Trafford are supplied by Roy Keane, who called Liverpool “bad champions” even before they had finished supporting his case.

That 43-point turnaround highlights an astonishing collapse at Anfield. The belief Klopp forged, shared by players and supporters, has been battered into submission. Liverpool’s record was so extraordinary it was unsustainable, and has given way to the worst run at home in their history, outscored in 2021 by Burnley and West Brom and Newcastle. They have five games to salvage something. Forget the European Super League, the Europa League may beckon for the 2019 champions of Europe; maybe even the inaugural Conference League.

Should Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal the Europa League and they finish fifth or lower, even fourth would not send them back into the Champions League. The permutations appear unlikely but they seemed irrelevant when Liverpool entered January three points clear at the Premier League summit.

“It is not nice if you are fourth and then you get kicked out because of another team winning the Champions League,” Klopp said. “That’s not cool. But these are the rules at the moment so we have to accept them.”

JĂŒrgen Klopp takes in a Liverpool training session. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC/Getty Images
      He has had to accept much that has felt unpalatable. Last week’s two late equalisers by Leeds and Newcastle cost Liverpool four points and left their fate outside their hands. Their return of two goals from 39 shots illustrated their lack of ruthlessness. Roberto Firmino has no goal in 14 games, his longest drought for Liverpool and feels a spent force, worn down by his relentless running. Lionel Messi voted for Sadio ManĂ© for the 2019 Ballon d’Or, but the Senegalese now has a lone strike in 11 league matches. Subterranean lows have followed the stratospheric highs.

Liverpool were a potent cocktail of energy, chemistry and solidity. Removing Virgil van Dijk from the equation, followed by injuries to Joe Gomez and Joel Matip, altered it. “The last line of Man United played 20 games together and then you can make changes everywhere because you have that basis,” Klopp said. Liverpool have had institutionalised uncertainty in a season of 18 centre-backs partnerships, some involving the valiant Fabinho and Jordan Henderson, in turn disrupting the midfield.

Klopp never wants to rotate like Pep Guardiola. “We need stability; we will make changes from time to time but it’s not like we can make seven or eight,” he said. Strength in depth was an illusion glimpsed in victories last season when fringe figures could supplement a terrific core of regulars. Faultlines in his squad have been exposed. Nat Phillips has come from obscurity to overachieve, Diogo Jota has had an auspicious debut year and Curtis Jones has kicked on, but too many others have proved inadequate alternatives to the out of form, the injured and the overworked.

One summer signing, Thiago AlcĂąntara, was omitted for both legs against Real Madrid. Another, Kostas Tsimikas, has been granted five minutes of Premier League action. The 2019 Super Cup hero AdriĂĄn shipped seven goals at Villa Park. Two years ago, Xherdan Shaqiri and Divock Origi were the scourges of Barcelona; now their lone goals have come against Lincoln and the latter is rarely seen. The Klopp formula of midfield workhorses is reliant on Firmino and ManĂ© scoring. When they don’t, his attacking midfielders have to compensate in the way Philippe Coutinho used to, but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby KeĂŻta are twinned on no goals and a minimal impact.

KeĂŻta has been overlooked since he was ignominiously substituted before half-time in Madrid. Astute recruitment propelled Liverpool to glory but he feels the antithesis of ManĂ©, Salah, Van Dijk and Alisson, the first flagship buy to fail. Replenishing a squad that is starting to age depends either on receiving sizeable sums for underperforming fringe figures in a depressed market or conjuring more from them and Klopp can be a stubborn loyalist. “The long-term future of Naby KeĂŻta from my point of view is here,” he said.

Liverpool may have to find the answers within, and from a £52.75m purchase. “Like a lot of other players, he looks really good in training,” Klopp said – too few have done so consistently on the pitch of late.

Old Trafford offers an example of how the marginalised can make a difference. It was the only place where Liverpool dropped points in their first 28 games last season, but they were spared defeat by the substitute Adam Lallana.

It is one of four draws Klopp has secured on United territory. He is never too concerned about facts but harked back to a 2016 Europa League draw that sealed an aggregate triumph. “It felt like a win,” he said. “The longer you don’t win there, the more likely it is that at one point you will win there.”

Extend a counterintuitive argument and the more Liverpool have lost in 2021, the likelier they are to win. But that was scarcely their mantra when they were winning at an unprecedented rate and powering to the title they will soon relinquish."
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #90: May 02, 2021 07:34:00 am
      From The Guardian:

"Mohamed Salah had tossed his shirt away in celebration and Alisson, perhaps particularly eager to mark a rare assist, had sprinted 100 yards to become the first to join him when Anfield erupted into a chorus not heard there for years: “We’re gonna win the league,” declared those previously wary of sounding over-confident.

It was January 2020. Liverpool had taken 91 of 93 points available, were 16 clear at the top of the Premier League, 30 ahead of the defeated Manchester United. The visitors’ No 10 was not Bruno Fernandes, then a Sporting Lisbon player, but Andreas Pereira. The spectre of the unemployed Mauricio Pochettino threatened to haunt Ole Gunnar Solskjér.

Fifteen months after one of the last great spectator events in English football, much has changed. Anfield has rarely felt emptier than in this January’s stalemate with United, a great fixture reduced to a form of nothingness. But even that was preferable to what followed: Liverpool’s 68th and last league game unbeaten at home was the prelude to six straight defeats. The reunion with United comes with Liverpool’s reign almost over, kings potentially turned kingmakers. Manchester City are going to win the league and Liverpool could hasten their coronation at Old Trafford on Sunday.

They are 13 points behind United, which reflects well on SolskjĂŠr and JĂŒrgen Klopp has shown the generosity of spirit to praise his counterpart; Alex Ferguson and Rafa BenĂ­tez rarely traded compliments. These days the withering comments from Old Trafford are supplied by Roy Keane, who called Liverpool “bad champions” even before they had finished supporting his case.

That 43-point turnaround highlights an astonishing collapse at Anfield. The belief Klopp forged, shared by players and supporters, has been battered into submission. Liverpool’s record was so extraordinary it was unsustainable, and has given way to the worst run at home in their history, outscored in 2021 by Burnley and West Brom and Newcastle. They have five games to salvage something. Forget the European Super League, the Europa League may beckon for the 2019 champions of Europe; maybe even the inaugural Conference League.

Should Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal the Europa League and they finish fifth or lower, even fourth would not send them back into the Champions League. The permutations appear unlikely but they seemed irrelevant when Liverpool entered January three points clear at the Premier League summit.

“It is not nice if you are fourth and then you get kicked out because of another team winning the Champions League,” Klopp said. “That’s not cool. But these are the rules at the moment so we have to accept them.”

JĂŒrgen Klopp takes in a Liverpool training session. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC/Getty Images
      He has had to accept much that has felt unpalatable. Last week’s two late equalisers by Leeds and Newcastle cost Liverpool four points and left their fate outside their hands. Their return of two goals from 39 shots illustrated their lack of ruthlessness. Roberto Firmino has no goal in 14 games, his longest drought for Liverpool and feels a spent force, worn down by his relentless running. Lionel Messi voted for Sadio ManĂ© for the 2019 Ballon d’Or, but the Senegalese now has a lone strike in 11 league matches. Subterranean lows have followed the stratospheric highs.

Liverpool were a potent cocktail of energy, chemistry and solidity. Removing Virgil van Dijk from the equation, followed by injuries to Joe Gomez and Joel Matip, altered it. “The last line of Man United played 20 games together and then you can make changes everywhere because you have that basis,” Klopp said. Liverpool have had institutionalised uncertainty in a season of 18 centre-backs partnerships, some involving the valiant Fabinho and Jordan Henderson, in turn disrupting the midfield.

Klopp never wants to rotate like Pep Guardiola. “We need stability; we will make changes from time to time but it’s not like we can make seven or eight,” he said. Strength in depth was an illusion glimpsed in victories last season when fringe figures could supplement a terrific core of regulars. Faultlines in his squad have been exposed. Nat Phillips has come from obscurity to overachieve, Diogo Jota has had an auspicious debut year and Curtis Jones has kicked on, but too many others have proved inadequate alternatives to the out of form, the injured and the overworked.

One summer signing, Thiago AlcĂąntara, was omitted for both legs against Real Madrid. Another, Kostas Tsimikas, has been granted five minutes of Premier League action. The 2019 Super Cup hero AdriĂĄn shipped seven goals at Villa Park. Two years ago, Xherdan Shaqiri and Divock Origi were the scourges of Barcelona; now their lone goals have come against Lincoln and the latter is rarely seen. The Klopp formula of midfield workhorses is reliant on Firmino and ManĂ© scoring. When they don’t, his attacking midfielders have to compensate in the way Philippe Coutinho used to, but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby KeĂŻta are twinned on no goals and a minimal impact.

KeĂŻta has been overlooked since he was ignominiously substituted before half-time in Madrid. Astute recruitment propelled Liverpool to glory but he feels the antithesis of ManĂ©, Salah, Van Dijk and Alisson, the first flagship buy to fail. Replenishing a squad that is starting to age depends either on receiving sizeable sums for underperforming fringe figures in a depressed market or conjuring more from them and Klopp can be a stubborn loyalist. “The long-term future of Naby KeĂŻta from my point of view is here,” he said.

Liverpool may have to find the answers within, and from a £52.75m purchase. “Like a lot of other players, he looks really good in training,” Klopp said – too few have done so consistently on the pitch of late.

Old Trafford offers an example of how the marginalised can make a difference. It was the only place where Liverpool dropped points in their first 28 games last season, but they were spared defeat by the substitute Adam Lallana.

It is one of four draws Klopp has secured on United territory. He is never too concerned about facts but harked back to a 2016 Europa League draw that sealed an aggregate triumph. “It felt like a win,” he said. “The longer you don’t win there, the more likely it is that at one point you will win there.”

Extend a counterintuitive argument and the more Liverpool have lost in 2021, the likelier they are to win. But that was scarcely their mantra when they were winning at an unprecedented rate and powering to the title they will soon relinquish."

Thanks for sharing Robbie,

Nothing like a piece of Guardianism to brighten your day huh !

YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #91: May 02, 2021 09:20:21 am
      Its been a sad old season and can't see anything other than more punishment here. Even at our best we have never shown it here in recent years. We are a long way from that now.

Jurgens tone seems rather down after last week. In the past hes spoke of not wanting players if they only wanted champions league, now its that we will struggle to attract top players out of the competition.

Been a very difficult season and one I cant wait to see the back of in all honesty. The hope has to be that this is a blip due to injuries, covid effects and some general bad luck rather than what we can expect in the future.

Quick Reply