Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

POSTPONED: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League

Read 25562 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: POSTPONED: Man Utd v Liverpool - Premier League
      Reply #483: May 03, 2021 03:50:59 pm
      End of the day they're getting to the point of no return. What would we have done if things hadn't gone our way in 2010?

They’re a long way off the point of no return mate, we were really in the sh*t in 2010 and a lot more likely to reach the cliff edge than the mancs who are 2nd in the league and have owners who back their manager.

They have a manageable debt, LFC has the resources to go in that direction to an extent when a dire situation neccessitates.
      I seem to remember JWH saying on the hallowed pitch that “the money is there if needed”.
      Our current dilemma surely qualifies but we do not have anyone to employ the owner’s solution of sell to buy.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2021 04:02:20 pm by stuey »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #484: May 03, 2021 04:44:28 pm

Make United Great Again!!

Yeah so get a better management group, and spent the millions the glazers give them more wisely.!

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #485: May 03, 2021 04:44:48 pm

Make United Great Again!!

Yeah so get a better management group, and spent the millions the glazers give them more wisely.!

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #486: May 03, 2021 05:47:09 pm
      When's this being played then?

Only thing I can think of is moving it to 16 May and moving our game with WBA to the midweek before?

Won't be will be 3 pts to us
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #487: May 03, 2021 06:23:47 pm
      We were very close to going bust though.

United are just under-competitive, while still able to lash ÂŁ115m on Paul Pogba  :lmao:

We got lucky as the banks stepped in, and our Chairman at the time, Martin something. Brownston? Chelsea fan, which I remember earned him a lot of distrust from our fanbase but he came up trumps for us, taking on his own employers. I never felt he got enough credit for that, or any credit as I recall. It wasn't Spirit of Shankly that stopped us going bust, although I expect you can find a few lads who will try to claim it was.

Martin Broughton and he wasn't employed by H & G, he was put in place by the bank. If we hadn't of found a buyer when we did, he was instructed to put us in administration. If you want to credit anyone, credit the judge who allowed the sale to take place and the judge who later threw out the injunction Hicks tried to take out in some Dallas court against the club making the sale to FSG invalid.

What's with the snidish dig at SOS all about though?
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2021 06:29:57 pm by HUYTON RED »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #488: May 03, 2021 06:32:00 pm
      Mancs having a pop at Souness after they threw a flare up at them in the SKY gantry. Still not a word of real condemnation for the thugs who broke into the ground smashing windows and the two Police officers as well as Camera equipment. The press would have been raging at Liverpool supporters if this had been Anfield.
      Failing to put on the Premier League Game due to lack of security surely would normally mean sanctions at least. However the EPL are desperate to get the fans onside so are mopping their collective fevered brows. Seeing all these millionaire pundits taking the higher moral ground is just sickening as they almost watched their gravy train leaving the Station without them. 
      Shearer wanted us thrown out of the league and if they had how would SKY or BT sell the Premier league on the back of Newcastle V Burnley whether other teams like it or not the EPL is sold on the back of a few teams. SKY started all this chasing money along with the EPL and now someone with bigger pockets has come along they are shitting themselves. I will put money on the Fans getting nothing from these protest other than ticket prices rising next season due to Covid.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #489: May 03, 2021 06:43:05 pm
      From what I remember we had a 5 man board and as long as the board voted a majority for the sake to FSG H+G couldn't stop it. They obviously voted against but I'm sure it was Purslow, Ayre and Broughton himself (I think a chairman always has the deciding vote in a board room🤔) who voted to sell, it couldn't be stopped.
      Please correct me if I remember wrongly..
      I just think the ownership ship has sailed and FSG are the best of an unscrupulous bunch of businessmen. It's all about money and making the brand as big as possible to one day sell at a ridiculous profit or at least sell a 50% stake to a Saudi family or something.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #490: May 03, 2021 06:53:00 pm
      Could the government not bring in legislation that any future sales of football clubs can only be part fan owned British consortiums?
      Another rule that needs to be brought in is if a person or a company takes out a loan to buy a football club that debt cannot be transferred to the club, it remains a personal loan or to a company but not the football club. I've said this for a good 15 years.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #491: May 03, 2021 08:06:04 pm
      for me its always been about the end game for FSG and what they will take out of the club . ÂŁ300mil in possibly ÂŁ3 billion out.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #492: May 03, 2021 08:31:48 pm
      From what I remember we had a 5 man board and as long as the board voted a majority for the sake to FSG H+G couldn't stop it. They obviously voted against but I'm sure it was Purslow, Ayre and Broughton himself (I think a chairman always has the deciding vote in a board room🤔) who voted to sell, it couldn't be stopped.
      Please correct me if I remember wrongly..

Sounds about right.

All those 3 have been targets of online vitriol from LFC fans over the years, despite them saving our arses, or at least our club.

Huyton Red's assertion that Broughton was brought in by the cowboys at the behest of the bank(s) sounds right. So OK he was just doing his job, but he was running the sale process, he could have held out for a higher sale price as Hicks and Gillet wanted, but he chose to just push through the FSG deal, casting the crucial 3-2 vote. The sale process could have all gone tits up. It didn't.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #493: May 03, 2021 09:00:55 pm
      for me its always been about the end game for FSG and what they will take out of the club . ÂŁ300mil in possibly ÂŁ3 billion out.

If that happens then somewhere along the lines things have gone well - someone should have taken advantage of all the offerings available decades ago - we were so far behind the curve commercially for at least two decades
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #494: May 03, 2021 10:32:55 pm

Remember, whichever moneybags buys the club, they are buying its value, its earning potential, its assets, etc. Whatever profit FSG reaps, its not like the club is somehow something less than it was before. In fact its financial value has gone way, way up. Anyone buying is going to want to maintain that, not tear it down. The reasons the current ownership will benefit from the sale someday are a good thing for the club long term, not a bad thing.

It's the debt-financed purchases that are killers to a club's long-term future.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #495: May 04, 2021 01:04:07 am
      What's with the snidish dig at SOS all about though?

Wasn't. Just recall at the time a bit of credit being thrown in that direction, which I didn't think was accurate. But if there's written evidence that H&G crumbled cos some SoS operative organised for H&G to be snapped in an uncompromising situation with some Malaysian rentboys, then God bless em. And God bless SoS too.

Think Graham Smith was involved in SoS back in the day. Never met him to my knowledge. Read a lot of comments from him over the years, think he's an accountant if I remember correctly, always seemed very knowledgeable.

I'm just uncomfortable about signs that fans are signing up again off the back of the ESL farce, for 2 main reasons:

1) I don't like seeing our fans allied in any shape or form to United fans, who hate us with every bone of their body, or thick-as-sh*t racist Chelsea wankers (ditto). If either club went bust I'd drink myself into oblivion to celebrate their demise. I also don't like our fans spouting the same inane "the game's gone" "I'm done with football" Sky soundbites as Gary Neville, Carra, Shearer, or Boris F***ing Johnson, who didn't want English clubs toddling off to play with "our European friends" because it's our patriotic duty to hate European people, or something. I'm sure a psychiatrist could explain what his F***ing problem is. If you've got all year.

2) FSG are not the right target IMO. Target the Premier League; target Man City; target the greedy owners of any Premier League club who couldn't give a rat's arse about the league being a fair contest as long as they're siphoning off billions of TV cash. United 'fans' force the biggest game in the calendar to be abandoned and the Premier League are still titting about trying to find ways of punishing 'the greedy six' for the ESL fiasco, when any penalty is almost certainly going to be illegal and City's lawyers will sh*t on it inside 5 seconds. Meanwhile, the same Premier League seem rather unconcerned with penalising a club whose fans forced a game to be abandoned, which sets a pretty dangerous precedent as the season reaches a point of European qualification, and relegation. Shut the game down, get it postponed, until you get the result you wanted.

FSG will sell I think, but it won't be because of unnecessary fan pressure. Their business model is screwed. They've kind of now got to speculate to accumulate, to try to get us back in the Champions League, or LFC's valuation will start falling quickly. Or they can sell before they lose much more than a few hundred million dollars. They don't seem the type to speculate to accumulate, haven't in 10 years, so I can't see them starting now. That points to a sale in the not too distant future. Maybe.

I thought they were going to sell after 7 years but maybe they could see Klopp was on the verge of great things and decided to stay in the game. Wise move. But any investor also needs to know when to get out.

This is a massive be careful what you wish for. It's like winding back the clock to rumours of us being bought by some Arab sheikh a decade ago. Great, he comes in, buys Timothy Twinkletoes TraorĂŠ from Sochaux for a billion quid, and everything's going great until there's a few bad results and the sheikh starts saying "Hey, Joe Cole's playing this week" and Klopp says "I don't think he is" and the sheikh says "Yes he is and also the one-legged b***ard son of Christian Poulsen is also playing" etc. OK that is unlikely, but there could be new owner issues of some sort and they could potentially be catastrophic. Is it worth the risk?

Our fans are sounder than anyone else's, he said with no hint of bias, but fan protests (or indeed any street protests) are always going to be in danger of some impressionable daft lads starting to chuck steel barriers at the bizzies and getting their names on the police national computer.

I've seen it in Northern Ireland recently. Arlene Foster roaring "THEY'RE CHECKING OUR CHICKENS!!!!" and before you know it a big group of lads are chucking petrol bombs at the police, because the adults told them to be 'incensed'.

Are fan protest groups responsible if the protest they organise gets out of hand? Liable? What about moral responsibility? Can they just re-run the Donald Trump defence of "the actions of those people is nothing to do with me"?

What if it's your lad comes home for his tea with a criminal record when he didn't have one when he left home that morning? There's defo gonna be some of those United lads getting a knock on the door this week.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #496: May 04, 2021 09:19:58 am

Will take that.

90 minutes of going through the motions at Old Trafford doesn't sound the most appealing anyway!
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #497: May 04, 2021 09:34:31 am

To be honest when I read this yesterday mate I didn’t think this would be the case but actually the more I think of it I think it’s what should happen, mainly because it may be one of the only things that may put other fans off from trying this again

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for protesting when it’s needed and the right of us to be able to do so but if they don’t put a sanction in place then what’s to stop say for example relegation clubs trying to get games disrupted like this
      If they knew they’d lose the points then it wouldn’t happen

It’s not like they haven’t deducted clubs before, I remember Middlesbrough getting points deducted for crying off a game against Blackburn I think in maybe the late 90s for saying they had a bug or something ripping through the squad. The PL eventually deducted them the 3 points ( gave them Blackburn ) and they went down
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #498: May 04, 2021 11:47:14 am
      To be honest when I read this yesterday mate I didn’t think this would be the case but actually the more I think of it I think it’s what should happen, mainly because it may be one of the only things that may put other fans off from trying this again

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for protesting when it’s needed and the right of us to be able to do so but if they don’t put a sanction in place then what’s to stop say for example relegation clubs trying to get games disrupted like this
      If they knew they’d lose the points then it wouldn’t happen

It’s not like they haven’t deducted clubs before, I remember Middlesbrough getting points deducted for crying off a game against Blackburn I think in maybe the late 90s for saying they had a bug or something ripping through the squad. The PL eventually deducted them the 3 points ( gave them Blackburn ) and they went down

Rules clearly state that could happen and as you say sets a very dangerous precedent for other clubs to do this . No issue with protests but being able to enter the ground and cause a postponement is poor and unfair on us . We had an advantage playing in between their two games which will now go through no fault of our own. The hypocrisy shown by Neville around money and greed and positively highlighting  what happened is poor
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #499: May 04, 2021 01:30:25 pm
      Remember, whichever moneybags buys the club, they are buying its value, its earning potential, its assets, etc. Whatever profit FSG reaps, its not like the club is somehow something less than it was before. In fact its financial value has gone way, way up. Anyone buying is going to want to maintain that, not tear it down. The reasons the current ownership will benefit from the sale someday are a good thing for the club long term, not a bad thing.

It's the debt-financed purchases that are killers to a club's long-term future.

how many suitable people have ÂŁ3 billion to spare . So whatever way you look at it ÂŁ3billion is going out of the club into FSG that cannot be disputed. How the purchase is financed then is open for debate but there are a very small pool of Scouse loving, Beatle Loving ,football nuts in this world and we may end up with the Glazers who now want ÂŁ4 billion for UTD.  If you think FSG are good owners, they are until they sell and they cash in on "their" good work. Football needs to fail financially so we can get back to it being all about what happens on the pitch since 2007 there has been as much talk about finance and spending as there has about football.
      People like to mock history and tradition and without JĂźrgen being in charge heaven knows where we would be now but he has managed to keep the soul of the club intact and is the most important person we have I just hope he stays for a long time
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #500: May 04, 2021 03:28:34 pm
      Exactly, there are only so many people in the world with that type of cash.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #501: May 04, 2021 03:35:46 pm
      Exactly, there are only so many people in the world with that type of cash.
      And a very large portion of those are only going to be interested in profit ...

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #502: May 04, 2021 03:42:18 pm
      And a very large portion of those are only going to be interested in profit ...

yup.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #503: May 04, 2021 04:31:51 pm
      Man!!!  u know your sh!t considering you support Liverpool  :lmao: There's more than what meets the eye with you isn't there.  ;)  Can you teach the grasshopper  ;D

Hahahahahaha there's already talks of getting a banner done with "Rock Of Gibraltar" on for our next visit at Old Trafford when fans are allowed in!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #504: May 04, 2021 05:31:52 pm
      Hahahahahaha there's already talks of getting a banner done with "Rock Of Gibraltar" on for our next visit at Old Trafford when fans are allowed in!!

Like I said! Well versed and educated on goings on.  :)
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #505: May 04, 2021 07:13:05 pm
      Anyone who sincerely believes FSG will ever sell LFC is beyond delusional and has his head up his own arse.
      FSG is in the business of building its global sports empire, not flipping teams.
      Their next flip will be their first.
      Their Red Sox ownership is on its 19th year and there has never been a hint that this group would ever be interested in selling.
      Their LFC ownership is on its 11th year and FSG has consistently rejected any notion that this team in on the selling block....quite the contrary in fact.

Reports are that FSG is keen on expanding its football footprint in similar fashion to Red Bulls' multi-team platform.
      Do the geniuses on this board truly believe FSG has interest purchasing feeder teams without LFC positioned at the top of their pyramid?

This group may not have an infinite pile of money to draw on like the oil cartel and hobbyist oligarch teams but they are the next best thing.
      Their financial expertise, marketing savvy, and a willingness to write big checks in order to win has been their modus operandi in Boston for the past two decades and the Red Sox' on field success during that time has been unmatched by the rest of Major League Baseball.
      The Red Sox consistently have a top 5 payroll in baseball and it is not unusual for that team to be the #1 spender despite having that league's smallest venue.

And in case you haven't noticed, they have brought this formula to Liverpool and the team has thrived and prospered and as you will soon see again, FSG will invest heavily when needed, because that's what they historically have done, in Boston and in Liverpool.
      Yes, they are outsiders .....outsiders who have rejuvenated and elevated LFC fiscally and on the field.

Gotta ask, why aren't more wealthy Brits up to the task of PL ownership?
      I suspect because many who could afford such a purchase prefer not to throw good money after bad, especially when competing financially vs. Nation States.
      Who can blame them.

Yet you have an ownership group who has proven they can compete and thrive vs these unlimited resource teams..........
      ...........and many here want to replace them?

Fascinating
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2021 07:26:37 pm by Borg »

Quick Reply