Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your favourite Anfield atmosphere?

Read 4595 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Your favourite Anfield atmosphere?
      May 03, 2021 06:40:22 pm
      As it was 16 years ago today we beat Chelsea in the semi final of the champions league with Luis goal, we were talking about that atmosphere that night. My God.

Obviously not all of us were lucky to be there so whats the best atmosphere you have witnessed at Anfield?

Im sure we have a few on here that are old enough to have been at St St Etienne, maybe even Inter in 65?

For me I think it would have to be Dortmund. Im not even sure if it was electric for tge 90 minutes but those last 20 or so minutes were electric, we won nothing on the night but I think it was an important night on the journey andva crazy buzz in the ground.

An honourable mention, again probably not a great atmosphere for the entire game but  Gods return v Birmingham was special. When the board went up and his name announced, wow shivers. Then when he scored with an overhead the place went mad, sadly ruined by being ruled offside.

Cant wait to get back
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Your favourite Anfield atmosphere?
      Reply #1: May 03, 2021 07:37:01 pm
      Best atmosphere for me was the Merseyside Derby when speedie got a couple for us.
      And then I think Spartak Moscow a few years later. We lost but the atmosphere was great.

Best on tv that I recall were Chelsea in that semi final and Barcelona in the uefa cup 2001.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: May 03, 2021 08:01:47 pm
      Best one for me at the ground was Chelsea 2005. Would loved to have been at the 4 nil against Barcelona
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: May 03, 2021 09:42:55 pm
      Literally loads, from winning the league in 1990 to the carnival atmosphere as we put paid to Utd's league chances in 1992 "Always look on the brightside of life" and "You lost the league on Merseyside" my two favourites from that day.

I'd easily say Chelsea 2005 is the loudest I've personally heard at the ground. Juve 05, Barca 07, Chelsea again 07, Napoli 10 (showed we still have the snarl as a fanbase) the 2nd half of the season 2014, Man City & Roma 2018, Barca 2019.

Fair to say a lot of credit must go to Klopp for rejuvenating or giving us a kick up the arse league games wise.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #4: May 03, 2021 10:12:59 pm
      St etiene,was a child looking back,never seen the kop rock like that
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #5: May 03, 2021 11:04:23 pm
      Chelsea 2005. Full on hurricane noise after the final whistle, the tannoy barely audible. Chelsea players and coaching staff looking shell-shocked by what just hit them. Amazing. It was the match where the crowd won it and remembering something like that in an era of next to no crowds makes the last year and a half even more unbearable. We lose everything with no fans.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #6: May 03, 2021 11:13:17 pm
      Although not at the ground, always remember that great fightback at Anfield against Barcelona. Coming back from 3 goals down from the first leg, to beat them 4 -0 in the second leg in the semi finals of the champions league the local was really buzzing that night !
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #7: May 04, 2021 01:11:14 am
      Chelsea 05 for me without a doubt. I still have my ticket stubs from the European home games that season. Olympiakos and Juve were belters but the semi was out of this world; a bellowing mass of mad kopites desperate to get their team over the line after so many years of struggle, under our new boss and against that c*nt of a manager. And it began well before kick off.

I have never heard a noise so loud as that night and the joy I felt and I will be blessed if I ever do again.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: May 04, 2021 08:46:29 am
      I'm going back to the last century for my best atmosphere at Anfield, prior to that it was Ibrox in the old firm derby,
      Now I'm not going to compare between the two but my best and favourite atmosphere was my first game seeing us live, it's my best and favourite because it will stay with me forever, and the feeling I experienced is very special, it was 1983 against I think Coventry, on the Kop surfing and completely in love with LFC & mad mental Scousers, the sheer joy of being there on that world famous terrace amongst ppl that I was totally in tune with I felt I truly belonged to a special family,
      Sadly I haven't been back for a few years now and I'm guessing it's not as good as it was back then, with the new all seater Kop,
      There are many games I wished I had been there, Chavs, Dortmund,  and of course Barcelona,  I've totally enjoyed all of those & more and although not the same as actually being there I promise you I went just as mental as if I were.

Apart from the birth of my wee babies, being at Anfield and particularly being on the old Kop were the happiest days I can remember.

Best club on the planet with the best fans to match, what else is better than that ?

Love LFC, & Love my LFC family.

YNWA
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #9: May 04, 2021 09:25:24 am
      Good question Brian, brought some great memories back for me sitting here

Chelsea 05 is probably the obvious answer, I wasn’t initially meant to be going the game, I tried to get tickets of course but I wasn’t a season ticket holder at the time, I didn’t get a full one of my own - passed on through family truth be told - until 2010 (I know   :D ) but my cousin was working away and was meant to be back the day of the game but his travel got delayed and once he knew there was no chance he rang me and said I could have his ticket I just had to pick it up from his ma’s

That was unbelievable the atmosphere that night, genuinely the best I’ve experienced, nerve racking, exhilarating, joyous, relief, excitement.. every emotion you can feel at a game. And so f**king loud

Barca was good but to be honest it wasn’t as good as Chelsea because the Chelsea game had everything, the game was in peril before it started, it was so tight and the tension as well as the noise was there from half hour before the game, as soon as the ground was filling right until the last few seconds when Gudjohnson missed the chance
      Whereas the Barca game, I think to be honest that tension wasn’t there, I dont think many of us thought we would turn it round before the game, it was more of a defiant f**k you, you aren’t making mugs of us again, let’s win this leg and give them a bloody nose.
      It went from that to party time and singing of course, but the peril and tension, the nerves and the noise of Chelsea wasn’t the same

Two other I’d give mention two also are the night we beat Real Madrid 4-0 in 2008-09. Now that was a special night and a great atmosphere, they said before the game Anfield so what?.... we showed them what, from the moment Nando scored early at the Anny road end in front of their fans and rubbed it in we dominated them and showed them what a Anfield was all about
      What a week that was as well, we followed it up by stuffing the Mancs 4-1 at the toilet and then beat Villa 5-0 with a Stevie hat trick
      Torres was at his peak at this point for me, he was unplayable

The other would Be Dortmund in the Europa league, maybe not for the full 90, but the let off and the noice at the end, and to be honest the start of the second half as well, it shook Dortmund

What do all those have in common? They were all famous European nights, and that’s one of not the main reason I was so appalled by the SL being banded around because it was going to rob me and future generations of those nights, I know football has turned into a cash cow and finance is ruining the game but those night above you can’t put a price on, and FSG tried to do that, they tried to sell our soul for money and that’s what’s annoyed so many fans

I’d also give a mention to two more though

One being a fantastic atmosphere for me, an emotional one too
      The League cup semi final in 2011 under Kenny against Man City.
      It was an electric atmosphere to be honest, it had that tension, that let off, that emotion especially for people my age that Kenny was back and seeing him in tears on the pitch after the game
      Putting City in their place it felt a bit that night as well
      For me a special night

A strange funny one too, there have been loads of these over the years don’t get me wrong, but there was a game in the run in of 13-14, Sunderland at home, we ended up winning 2-1 through a Stevie free kick and let’s be honest it wasn’t a great atmosphere but it’s a strange one that’s stuck with me of a game where you could cut the tension with a knife, we felt so close but also the tension I remember feeling even that “early” in the run in I just had a feeling we were going to not get over the line, you could just feel this air of tension over the whole ground and the whole squad and it just felt like that was going to peak at some point and get too much for everyone involved, and it did. Not a great Anfield night but one that has stuck with me for the 8 or so years since it and one that I’ll be honest I wish I was in the ground when we finally  won the league last year because that’s one of those nights I would have I think been able to lay  to rest having seen us eventually win it

Again thanks Brian, great little thread mate
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: May 04, 2021 12:40:45 pm
      Good question Brian, brought some great memories back for me sitting here

Chelsea 05 is probably the obvious answer, I wasn’t initially meant to be going the game, I tried to get tickets of course but I wasn’t a season ticket holder at the time, I didn’t get a full one of my own - passed on through family truth be told - until 2010 (I know   :D ) but my cousin was working away and was meant to be back the day of the game but his travel got delayed and once he knew there was no chance he rang me and said I could have his ticket I just had to pick it up from his ma’s

That was unbelievable the atmosphere that night, genuinely the best I’ve experienced, nerve racking, exhilarating, joyous, relief, excitement.. every emotion you can feel at a game. And so f**king loud

Barca was good but to be honest it wasn’t as good as Chelsea because the Chelsea game had everything, the game was in peril before it started, it was so tight and the tension as well as the noise was there from half hour before the game, as soon as the ground was filling right until the last few seconds when Gudjohnson missed the chance
      Whereas the Barca game, I think to be honest that tension wasn’t there, I dont think many of us thought we would turn it round before the game, it was more of a defiant f**k you, you aren’t making mugs of us again, let’s win this leg and give them a bloody nose.
      It went from that to party time and singing of course, but the peril and tension, the nerves and the noise of Chelsea wasn’t the same

Two other I’d give mention two also are the night we beat Real Madrid 4-0 in 2008-09. Now that was a special night and a great atmosphere, they said before the game Anfield so what?.... we showed them what, from the moment Nando scored early at the Anny road end in front of their fans and rubbed it in we dominated them and showed them what a Anfield was all about
      What a week that was as well, we followed it up by stuffing the Mancs 4-1 at the toilet and then beat Villa 5-0 with a Stevie hat trick
      Torres was at his peak at this point for me, he was unplayable

The other would Be Dortmund in the Europa league, maybe not for the full 90, but the let off and the noice at the end, and to be honest the start of the second half as well, it shook Dortmund

What do all those have in common? They were all famous European nights, and that’s one of not the main reason I was so appalled by the SL being banded around because it was going to rob me and future generations of those nights, I know football has turned into a cash cow and finance is ruining the game but those night above you can’t put a price on, and FSG tried to do that, they tried to sell our soul for money and that’s what’s annoyed so many fans

I’d also give a mention to two more though

One being a fantastic atmosphere for me, an emotional one too
      The League cup semi final in 2011 under Kenny against Man City.
      It was an electric atmosphere to be honest, it had that tension, that let off, that emotion especially for people my age that Kenny was back and seeing him in tears on the pitch after the game
      Putting City in their place it felt a bit that night as well
      For me a special night

A strange funny one too, there have been loads of these over the years don’t get me wrong, but there was a game in the run in of 13-14, Sunderland at home, we ended up winning 2-1 through a Stevie free kick and let’s be honest it wasn’t a great atmosphere but it’s a strange one that’s stuck with me of a game where you could cut the tension with a knife, we felt so close but also the tension I remember feeling even that “early” in the run in I just had a feeling we were going to not get over the line, you could just feel this air of tension over the whole ground and the whole squad and it just felt like that was going to peak at some point and get too much for everyone involved, and it did. Not a great Anfield night but one that has stuck with me for the 8 or so years since it and one that I’ll be honest I wish I was in the ground when we finally  won the league last year because that’s one of those nights I would have I think been able to lay  to rest having seen us eventually win it

Again thanks Brian, great little thread mate

Great read fair play..

I think fot a certain age group 05 is our st Etienne. Even sitting at home watching it the atmosphere was crazy. Was so glad I didnt go the pub as it wouldnt have allowed for that sense of almost being at it. Some game.

The league cup semi v city still gets me. I had a ticket, or so I thought, only to find out when I got to the ground id been f**ked over. Good night in the sandon though watching it
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: May 04, 2021 01:58:52 pm
      Best one for me at the ground was Chelsea 2005.

Yep.  Best match I've attended at Anfield as well.  Stadium was well and truly shaking. 

The whole night felt electric from the moment I started walking to the ground to be honest.  A night I will never forget - the best ÂŁ25 I've ever spent!

The win over Man City as well back in the 'nearly' season was good as well, and as far as draws go the 3-3 v Man Utd back in the 90s was another great one I can remember.  Seems mad that it was a draw that had such a good atmosphere on the standing Kop but that was the 1990's Liverpool!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12: May 04, 2021 03:06:11 pm
      and as far as draws go the 3-3 v Man Utd back in the 90s was another great one I can remember.  Seems mad that it was a draw that had such a good atmosphere on the standing Kop but that was the 1990's Liverpool!

"Gala-tas-aray, GALA-TAS-ARAY!!"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: May 04, 2021 04:34:23 pm
      A proper paced YNWA from FA Cup Final against Newcastle in 1974!!

https://twitter.com/imagineerstube/status/1389516838971789314

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #14: May 04, 2021 05:54:23 pm
      Chelsea 2005 - just amazing
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: May 04, 2021 06:04:51 pm
      Yep.  Best match I've attended at Anfield as well.  Stadium was well and truly shaking. 

The whole night felt electric from the moment I started walking to the ground to be honest.  A night I will never forget - the best ÂŁ25 I've ever spent!

The win over Man City as well back in the 'nearly' season was good as well, and as far as draws go the 3-3 v Man Utd back in the 90s was another great one I can remember.  Seems mad that it was a draw that had such a good atmosphere on the standing Kop but that was the 1990's Liverpool!

Was one of the first on the kop for the United 3-3
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #16: May 04, 2021 06:20:19 pm
      St Etien when Fairchlough went onthat run and scored the winner in the Kop end
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #17: May 04, 2021 09:06:01 pm
      Best I can remember (well almost remember) was St Etienne.  Travelled down by train from Edinburgh. Met a couple of lads in Coopers (i think, small place with a sloping floor) for the first time who are still great friends. Missed the train up to Preston after the game, blagged it into the Hotel over the road from Lime St. (King John I think) where a load of their fans were staying. Managed to get fed and watered by them which was very kind all things considered. Managed to get some kip in the hotel foyer then, in the morning, started the long trek home by hitching it. Got to a service station on the M6 and luckily got picked up by a bus load of Welsh fans heading up to Edinburgh for the rugby that weekend. Saw I had a red and white scarf on and thought I was one of them. Good lads though and ended up stopping for several pots near Carlisle. Hammered again. Got home too pissed to work in the pub I was working at (unreliable youth that I was then, got a major dressing down for that from my boss) but it was all worth it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: May 04, 2021 09:33:23 pm
      Best I can remember (well almost remember) was St Etienne.  Travelled down by train from Edinburgh. Met a couple of lads in Coopers (i think, small place with a sloping floor) for the first time who are still great friends. Missed the train up to Preston after the game, blagged it into the Hotel over the road from Lime St. (King John I think) where a load of their fans were staying. Managed to get fed and watered by them which was very kind all things considered. Managed to get some kip in the hotel foyer then, in the morning, started the long trek home by hitching it. Got to a service station on the M6 and luckily got picked up by a bus load of Welsh fans heading up to Edinburgh for the rugby that weekend. Saw I had a red and white scarf on and thought I was one of them. Good lads though and ended up stopping for several pots near Carlisle. Hammered again. Got home too pissed to work in the pub I was working at (unreliable youth that I was then, got a major dressing down for that from my boss) but it was all worth it.

Great story.

Will these things ever happen again I wonder or is our world changed forever?
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #19: May 04, 2021 10:19:50 pm
      Great story.

Will these things ever happen again I wonder or is our world changed forever?

For me? No as I'm too old to be able to handle a trip like that now. But there will still be epic trips undertaken by redmen & women to watch Liverpool FC. Folk will still do whatever it takes to get to finals or big games.

I was lucky to have had so many fantastic trips following LFC around England, Scotland, Ireland (north & south) and of course Europe.
      HuytonRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: May 05, 2021 02:03:27 pm
      Literally loads, from winning the league in 1990 to the carnival atmosphere as we put paid to Utd's league chances in 1992 "Always look on the brightside of life" and "You lost the league on Merseyside" my two favourites from that day.

I'd easily say Chelsea 2005 is the loudest I've personally heard at the ground. Juve 05, Barca 07, Chelsea again 07, Napoli 10 (showed we still have the snarl as a fanbase) the 2nd half of the season 2014, Man City & Roma 2018, Barca 2019.

Fair to say a lot of credit must go to Klopp for rejuvenating or giving us a kick up the arse league games wise.

That 1992 game v United and the songs from that game often makes me smile, but my memories are from TV as I was soon to be married, had a job which involved weekend work and match-going days were coming to an end!  My best atmosphere may have been the 4-0 v United a few years earlier and the 2-0 v Everton in the Beardsley/Barnes/Aldridge days. 
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: May 07, 2021 12:18:30 pm
      St Etienne stands out as a few of the guys have said already... I swear the ground moved under the Main Stand when Fairclough scored.

I was in row 2 on the halfway line in the Kemlyn rd stand for the 7-0 thrashing of Tottenham and that was pretty unforgettable.
      As was some of the games when Barnes/Beardsley/Rush & Aldridge destroyed teams in the 87-89 seasons.
      Such a shame we couldn't compete in Europe with that frontline at that time... we'd have cleaned up..

Any of the night games under floodlights when I was growing up from 75 onwards were mesmerising and electric.

A mate of mine managed to get into Anfield the night Scotland beat Wales in the World Cup Qualifier when Kenny scored their second and he said the volume in the ground that night was unbelievable... I could hear it in our house about a mile away. ;D

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #22: May 07, 2021 08:35:58 pm
      I thought the 4-3 win against Newcastle would have been heard of by now. According to Sky, it was the best night ever.

It's more difficult for me to choose one, as most home games I have been at over the years have been against teams in and around the relegation zone, where the chance of winning the game is high and as a consequence, the atmosphere has been more relaxed. So I will give it to the one night I was in the Kop against Swansea. Trent scored his first goal for us, and we were right behind it watching it fly in off the bar. When we scored again a minute later, the Kop was finally in full voice. AOC scored his first goal at home that night as well, and the 5-0 win was a fair reflection of the game. They went down at the end of the season. We qualified for the European Cup and won it in Madrid the following season.

Quick Reply