Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Medical Fund for Chris Lawler

Read 2376 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Medical Fund for Chris Lawler
      May 11, 2021 05:04:09 pm
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Re: Medical Fund for Chris Lawler
      Reply #1: May 11, 2021 09:25:10 pm
      Lovely lovely man and a great player in his day, read about this on my phone earlier, so pleased they've already raised the funds for him, get well soon Chris.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: May 11, 2021 09:45:52 pm
      Long before the modern football commentator labelled full backs as wing backs he was scoring goals for fun season after season.
      I think he also lost a child to an accident at home.
      How he got to need assistance financially is beyond me do the club not look after true legends . My best wishes to him and hope he finds good health ASAP and if he needs our support then I am sure he will get it
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: May 11, 2021 09:57:02 pm
      Saw the headline and thought why doesn't the club do something,  then I read the whole thing . Good news
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: May 12, 2021 05:21:21 pm
      just look at the lack of responses to this thread it says everything you need to know.
      This man was a legend and a local lad. Some or even most forum members need a lot of education about this club .
      "the defender, who won four England caps, played 316 consecutive games for the Reds between 1965 and 1971 and ended up netting 61 goals in 549 games - none of which came from the penalty spot."
      61 goals for a full back no penalties and we have to listen to the likes of Neville go on about wing backs. Football under Shankly was total football long before people even thought to describe it as such. This forum should have been up to support him but how many even know his name
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: May 12, 2021 05:25:35 pm
      just look at the lack of responses to this thread it says everything you need to know.
      This man was a legend and a local lad. Some or even most forum members need a lot of education about this club .
      "the defender, who won four England caps, played 316 consecutive games for the Reds between 1965 and 1971 and ended up netting 61 goals in 549 games - none of which came from the penalty spot."
      61 goals for a full back no penalties and we have to listen to the likes of Neville go on about wing backs. Football under Shankly was total football long before people even thought to describe it as such. This forum should have been up to support him but how many even know his name

My dad and his mate were on about Lawler the other day, said as a full back he would be worth millions today and in their view a far better player than Trent.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: May 12, 2021 05:37:01 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      But good news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarolynPR/status/1392080323886911493
      [/quote

Good stuff.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: May 12, 2021 09:54:46 pm
      My dad and his mate were on about Lawler the other day, said as a full back he would be worth millions today and in their view a far better player than Trent.

61 goals mate as a full back not a penalty or free kick in them. He was so silky smooth just oozed class and lets face it Shankly would not have played him for all those games if he wasnt as good as he was. He was and probably still is a gentleman and to see a former legend needing help financially for just £20k is sad but well done to the player who stumped up the cash I think we may well know who it was. Its why some "older" supporters laugh at how people try to reinvent the game we were playing 50 odd years ago.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #8: May 12, 2021 10:04:17 pm
      It's sad that a player so talented would need financial help at all and it's a no brainer that the club should have stepped in. Shame on the furlough desiring corporate bas**rds. I wonder who stumped up the cash?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #9: May 12, 2021 10:07:33 pm
      61 goals mate as a full back not a penalty or free kick in them. He was so silky smooth just oozed class and lets face it Shankly would not have played him for all those games if he wasnt as good as he was. He was and probably still is a gentleman and to see a former legend needing help financially for just £20k is sad but well done to the player who stumped up the cash I think we may well know who it was. Its why some "older" supporters laugh at how people try to reinvent the game we were playing 50 odd years ago.

A few years ago I took my Mum to a Ron Yeats tribute night at the Adelphi, it was the team of '65 her era, we had an absolutely fabulous night, we were invited backstage to meet all the players and have a drink with them beforehand, Chris was there and was so lovely and such a gentleman as they all were, my Mum was in her applecart and still talks about it.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #10: May 12, 2021 10:14:17 pm
      It's sad that a player so talented would need financial help at all and it's a no brainer that the club should have stepped in. Shame on the furlough desiring corporate bas**rds. I wonder who stumped up the cash?

What you have to remember Issac is that players from those days didn't earn anything like they earn today, didn't have agents and basically just looked after themselves, no advice as such as to how to make the most of what they did earn.

I'm so pleased for him that a former player has stepped up to the mark and helped him out, there are some wonderful people out there, good luck Chris and keep well. A legend.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: May 12, 2021 10:15:05 pm
      A few years ago I took my Mum to a Ron Yeats tribute night at the Adelphi, it was the team of '65 her era, we had an absolutely fabulous night, we were invited backstage to meet all the players and have a drink with them beforehand, Chris was there and was so lovely and such a gentleman as they all were, my Mum was in her applecart and still talks about it.

I live in an area where a few old Liverpool players live. I have never met one yet who was not thoroughly decent and always happy to be recognised and have a chat. I think Ron Yeats idea of a retirement fund was a fish and chip shop whilst Tommy Smith had a pub. How time have changed when players can earn in a week what these lads would have earned in a career
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12: May 12, 2021 10:28:35 pm
      It's sad that a player so talented would need financial help at all and it's a no brainer that the club should have stepped in.

Agree and with all the money ploughed into football some of it should have been used to act as some sort of fund to help cases like this.

Am I right that Redkenny from here was a relative of Chris Lawler?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #13: May 12, 2021 10:35:36 pm
      I live in an area where a few old Liverpool players live. I have never met one yet who was not thoroughly decent and always happy to be recognised and have a chat. I think Ron Yeats idea of a retirement fund was a fish and chip shop whilst Tommy Smith had a pub. How time have changed when players can earn in a week what these lads would have earned in a career

That's fab Walton and yes your right, the money players earn today, these lads could have only dreamed about, they always had time for the fans though.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #14: May 12, 2021 10:37:08 pm

Am I right that Redkenny from here was a relative of Chris Lawler?

Yes he was Si, my first thought was Kenny when I read about this yesterday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: May 12, 2021 10:41:38 pm
      Yes he was Si, my first thought was Kenny when I read about this yesterday.

Me too as I was sure when I was over with you guys Kenny talked about Chris briefly when we were chatting.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #16: May 12, 2021 10:46:59 pm
      Remember watching Chris in my younger days. Probably didn’t appreciate just how good he was then.

Let’s hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #17: May 12, 2021 10:49:59 pm
      Me too as I was sure when I was over with you guys Kenny talked about Chris briefly when we were chatting.

Oh what a night that was in that Irish pub in the middle of town....I was sooooo drunk  :lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #18: May 12, 2021 10:54:24 pm
      Oh what a night that was in that Irish pub in the middle of town....I was sooooo drunk  :lmao:

Was a good one wasn't it. :D
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #19: May 13, 2021 10:36:53 pm

:D Oh yes it certainly was  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: May 13, 2021 10:40:56 pm
      watched the Derby when he score da screamer in the 90th min to win it after being 2-0 down. I wish some of the posters  on here really understood the DNA of this club a bit more they should get on youtube and watch Roger Hunt or Emlyn Hughes who still embody what Jürgen would want in a player
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: May 15, 2021 06:51:50 am
      I’ve only just discovered this page, how sad that Chris is struggling financially, like most I’m surprised a institution such as ours hasn’t got a set up where former players can get help, whether it be financially or generally, it’s not as if former players will be queuing at the door hoping for a handout is it ?

We’ve all heard of ex players having to sell their medals to get by, so sad when you read of stuff like that,

I hope that Chris gets the help he needs and gets well soon.

Is there a funding page where we can contribute? I may not be able to offer a lot but I’m sure any help will be gratefully received ?

Y  N  W  A
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: May 15, 2021 01:49:09 pm
      Is there a funding page where we can contribute? I may not be able to offer a lot but I’m sure any help will be gratefully received ?

His private operation has been paid for just after the fundraising page went up.

Quick Reply