Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v MUFC?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      68 (70.1%)
      Rhys Williams
      1 (1%)
      Nat Phillips
      3 (3.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      4 (4.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.1%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      19 (19.6%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: May 17, 2021 10:09:07 pm

Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23478 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #943: May 15, 2021 03:17:35 pm
      No there f**king isnā€™t.

Jordan Henderson is not capable of doing what stevie did in Istanbul and Cardiff. Those two games stand out because they were cup finals but there were f**king endless times stevie dragged us over the line.

The only difference between the two is Henderson is surrounded by world class players and won the league as a result. Gerrard wasnā€™t. Great player, great captain but he canā€™t win the f**king league by himself.

Iā€™d bet my f**king life on it that anyone in and around the club would say gerrard was a superior captain and Iā€™d bet jordan himself would say it too.

Canā€™t even believe Iā€™m even entertaining this f**king wum shout.

Erm.... F***ing this F***ing that... Iā€™m not questioning Gerrardā€™s ability as a player, Iā€™m asking is there a debate between the ex skipper & current on who is the better captain.. & what makes them the better captain..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #944: May 15, 2021 03:27:19 pm
      Surely Hendersonā€™s ability both as a player and as a captain is not being dismissed again ?

He has proven himself to be one of our best captains and a superb player

As for Gerrard being a ā€œsuperior captainā€ - not sure what is used as a barometer to judge. One of our best players
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #945: May 15, 2021 03:29:29 pm
      No such thing as blasphemy where I live. I live in a modern country where people are allowed to think for themselves. It's not the Middle Ages any more, burn the witch, all that sort of thing. Although we do seem to be heading back that way unfortunately.

Gerrard's probably the best player I've seen in a red shirt and I'm a Red 50 years this month, in fact 50 years today, FA Cup Final '71 was the first day I can remember supporting LFC, so I'll not give one atom of a sh*te about younguns wailing and gnashing their teeth about what I can and can't say about MY F***ing CLUB BEFORE IT WAS YOURS, thank you very much ladies and gentlemen  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

However, Stevie wasn't a great captain. Not a patch on Henderson. Stevie could raise his own game (1 person). Henderson raises the game of each and every one of his teammates game in game out (10 people). 10/1 = 10*. See I've even provided my workings.

I'll leave the rumours about how there were effectively 2 dressing rooms during Stevie's time as captain: one for him and Carra and anyone they rated as worthy of playing in the same team as Stevie, such as Nando and Luis; and the other lads, who prevented Stevie from getting his precious little medals. I'm sure it's all written down in some autobiography somewhere, if it's true of course. Never believe a Liverpool cabbie, they say. Apparently sometimes they tell you stuff that might not actually be factual, which was a shock to me when I found out  :o

"Eeerrr how can I leave after this?" wasn't exactly his finest moment though was it, face like a slapped arse minutes after winning Big Ears #5 is not what I expect from the captain of Liverpool Football Club. A lot of Reds never forgave him for that. That was blasphemy in my book.

I didn't see Jordan Henderson looking miserable as F**k after lifting #6 because he was gonna have to change his mind on moving to play for his precious Mourinho  ???

So, there you go, greatest LFC player in the last 50 years? Probably, depending on how you define 'greatest'. Good captain? Nah.

That, as Rafa once said, is the facts.

Blasphemy is a relative term and in no way has a context of linguistic time span, it certainly is appropriate when a proposition is offensive to the majority of concerned parties.
      An over-long response to a straightforward error of judgement on your part.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #946: May 15, 2021 03:39:28 pm
      Erm.... f**king this f**king that... Iā€™m not questioning Gerrardā€™s ability as a player, Iā€™m asking is there a debate between the ex skipper & current on who is the better captain.. & what makes them the better captain..

No. Thereā€™s no F***ing debate.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #947: May 15, 2021 03:40:25 pm
      No such thing as blasphemy where I live. I live in a modern country where people are allowed to think for themselves. It's not the Middle Ages any more, burn the witch, all that sort of thing. Although we do seem to be heading back that way unfortunately.

Gerrard's probably the best player I've seen in a red shirt and I'm a Red 50 years this month, in fact 50 years today, FA Cup Final '71 was the first day I can remember supporting LFC, so I'll not give one atom of a sh*te about younguns wailing and gnashing their teeth about what I can and can't say about MY F***ing CLUB BEFORE IT WAS YOURS, thank you very much ladies and gentlemen  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

However, Stevie wasn't a great captain. Not a patch on Henderson. Stevie could raise his own game (1 person). Henderson raises the game of each and every one of his teammates game in game out (10 people). 10/1 = 10*. See I've even provided my workings.

I'll leave the rumours about how there were effectively 2 dressing rooms during Stevie's time as captain: one for him and Carra and anyone they rated as worthy of playing in the same team as Stevie, such as Nando and Luis; and the other lads, who prevented Stevie from getting his precious little medals. I'm sure it's all written down in some autobiography somewhere, if it's true of course. Never believe a Liverpool cabbie, they say. Apparently sometimes they tell you stuff that might not actually be factual, which was a shock to me when I found out  :o

"Eeerrr how can I leave after this?" wasn't exactly his finest moment though was it, face like a slapped arse minutes after winning Big Ears #5 is not what I expect from the captain of Liverpool Football Club. A lot of Reds never forgave him for that. That was blasphemy in my book.

I didn't see Jordan Henderson looking miserable as f**k after lifting #6 because he was gonna have to change his mind on moving to play for his precious Mourinho  ???

So, there you go, greatest LFC player in the last 50 years? Probably, depending on how you define 'greatest'. Good captain? Nah.

Very strange post. Like in the Ox thread, you seem to like rewriting the past.

To say a lot of Reds never forgave Stevie is simply incorrect and to call what he did is blasphemy is just over the top.

They're both great captains by the way, very different style but both very effective. Although I'd hedge my bets that Gerrard would be able to captain this current Liverpool side to trophies but I don't think Hendo could have captained the side Gerrard played in to any major trophies. That's not a dig at Hendo, more just a way of saying how much of a special player Stevie was.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #948: May 15, 2021 03:40:37 pm
      So....that win over Man United. That was cool, wasn't it?
       :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #949: May 15, 2021 03:41:16 pm
      No. Thereā€™s no f**king debate.

😂

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #950: May 15, 2021 03:45:37 pm
      Surely Hendersonā€™s ability both as a player and as a captain is not being dismissed again ?

As for Gerrard being a ā€œsuperior captainā€ - not sure what is used as a barometer to judge. One of our best players

Nobody is dismissing Henderson by any means whatever and I am not going to list the honours and attributes due to the player that make any dismissal a joke.

The overall comments of any premise that the player has made a superior contribution to the club are negative and I'm sure Jordan himself would be uncomfortable with the suggestion.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #951: May 15, 2021 03:45:47 pm
      Very strange post. Like in the Ox thread, you seem to like rewriting the past.

To say a lot of Reds never forgave Stevie is simply incorrect and to call what he did is blasphemy is just over the top.

They're both great captains by the way, very different style but both very effective. Although I'd hedge my bets that Gerrard would be able to captain this current Liverpool side to trophies but I don't think Hendo could have captained the side Gerrard played in to any major trophies. That's not a dig at Hendo, more just a way of saying how much of a special player Stevie was.

Gerrard also captained england in the golden generation - full of great players and leaders. If Henderson was in that squad he would have been a quiet mouse in the corner and certainly nowhere near the captaincy.

Heā€™s done well in the last few seasons Henderson and Iā€™m not disputing how much of a good professional he is either. But he is nowhere near the level of Gerrard as a player or captain and thats just fact.

A wum has come out with a bollocks statement and Iā€™m gobsmacked a couple of reds have jumped on it. Short F***ing memories.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #952: May 15, 2021 03:53:27 pm

I didn't see Jordan Henderson looking miserable as f**k after lifting #6 because he was gonna have to change his mind on moving to play for his precious Mourinho  ???

So youā€™re about 60 and you still donā€™t understand people talk sh*t in books to sell them?

Could quote dozens and dozens of players and ex player who spoke highly of Gerrard and his leadership qualities.

Our current captain is one of them and who learnt from him, you tit.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #953: May 15, 2021 04:15:26 pm
      Nobody is dismissing Henderson by any means whatever and I am not going to list the honours and attributes due to the player that make any dismissal a joke.

The overall comments of any premise that the player has made a superior contribution to the club are negative and I'm sure Jordan himself would be uncomfortable with the suggestion.

Iā€™m never a fan of ā€œrankingā€ players when they have all played in differing eras and teams.

Both will have their places within our history and both will be looked at positively - Gerrard was just superb from day one until the day he left both as a player and a captain - Henderson had to grow into both roles and matured into an outstanding player and captain for us.

Most of the time Hendersonā€™s biggest crime was - he wasnā€™t Gerrard , there is no doubt Gerrard was a better player - as captain - well that depends on what criteria is used , Gerrard led by ability , Henderson by example and leadership skills - itā€™s all down to which you prefer
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #954: May 15, 2021 04:19:37 pm
      Gerrard also captained england in the golden generation - full of great players and leaders. If Henderson was in that squad he would have been a quiet mouse in the corner and certainly nowhere near the captaincy.

Heā€™s done well in the last few seasons Henderson and Iā€™m not disputing how much of a good professional he is either. But he is nowhere near the level of Gerrard as a player or captain and thats just fact.

A wum has come out with a bollocks statement and Iā€™m gobsmacked a couple of reds have jumped on it. Short f**king memories.

It maybe factual that Gerrard was a better player but as captain will be down to opinion based
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #955: May 15, 2021 04:40:37 pm

Think there will always be people questioning Jordan, for whatever reason.
      Even though, when choosing a captain, JĆ¼rgen obviously rates him above VVD, Milly etc. - and will again next season.
      His teammates have huge respect for him - just a top man and a top player.
      I'm a massive fan of SG, but he's a different player to Hendo - what traits does a captain need to have - they have different strengths, different players round them, different mgrs. Both good captains though imho.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #956: May 15, 2021 04:43:58 pm

I'd agree, think Hendo is an excellent Captain - but 10 times better than SG!? Think you lost the room with that one :)
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #957: May 15, 2021 04:46:45 pm
      Loved Robbo's energy last night one occasion he was in their box we lost the ball but he sprinted back caught up with Rashford (?) tackled him  won the ball back and passed it

Yea, it was Rashford, that was great :) sprints, catches him, slide tackles, wins the ball, beats a guy or two and lays it off, top player
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #958: May 15, 2021 05:05:02 pm
      Watching the highlights again, it was lovely football for Rashfordā€™s goal, however the finish was probably going wide but took a slight deflection off Robertson making the block - thatā€™s our luck right now.

Additionally, Firminoā€™s second was sublime, he hit the ball into the ground with precision to get the perfect connection, not as easy as it looked.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #959: May 15, 2021 05:18:47 pm
      I never doubted SG. Top player, great captain, THEN.

I doubted Hendo for a long time. But heā€™s turned my opinion of him with his performances.
      Top player, great captain NOW.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #960: May 15, 2021 05:33:25 pm
      Erm.... f**king this f**king that... Iā€™m not questioning Gerrardā€™s ability as a player, Iā€™m asking is there a debate between the ex skipper & current on who is the better captain.. & what makes them the better captain..

no there is no debate because if Stevie played in this team he would have won the title 6 or 7 times and won the CL another 3 or 4 times. I am a huge fan of Jordan but he isnt in the same class as Stevie who carried an entire club on his back for years. Its lk epeople have forgotten how many times he pulled us out the crap
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #961: May 15, 2021 05:50:53 pm
      ^^^ This
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #962: May 15, 2021 06:03:20 pm
      Watching the highlights again, it was lovely football for Rashfordā€™s goal, however the finish was probably going wide but took a slight deflection off Robertson making the block - thatā€™s our luck right now.

Additionally, Firminoā€™s second was sublime, he hit the ball into the ground with precision to get the perfect connection, not as easy as it looked.

it seems the better we play the better Bobby performs. Only Bobby can do what he does keep him happy and let him do his stuff
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #963: May 15, 2021 06:07:19 pm
      no there is no debate because if Stevie played in this team he would have won the title 6 or 7 times and won the CL another 3 or 4 times. I am a huge fan of Jordan but he isnt in the same class as Stevie who carried an entire club on his back for years. Its lk epeople have forgotten how many times he pulled us out the crap

There can be a debate but I think Stevie would trump Hendo in just about every aspect. And therefore the debate would likely be one way. If by that it means there's no debate, I'm totally with you.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #964: May 15, 2021 06:28:51 pm
      There can be a debate but I think Stevie would trump Hendo in just about every aspect. And therefore the debate would likely be one way. If by that it means there's no debate, I'm totally with you.

Totally correct Ruth we can debate as you rightly state. It's great to read different opinions. Bully's don't rein on this site which is always nice to see. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #965: May 15, 2021 06:33:18 pm

I think thatā€™s looking at the pair of them as players alone - Gerrards ability on the ball and on the pitch got us through so many games and pulled us out of the crap and Henderson just doesnā€™t have that ability on the ball to do that. There is no doubt that Gerrard would have thrived under Klopp and this team as a player

As a captain and leader of the team ( taking their respective abilities on the ball out of it ) they are imo a lot closer in that respect - takes a special person to be the leader on the pitch with this current squad and Henderson has come into his own in that regard. Hence why they led the team differently but both effectively and both will go down as legends along with other captains of the club

Quick Reply