Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

20 years ago - One week in May

Read 2508 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      20 years ago - One week in May
      May 15, 2021 03:35:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFCTV/status/1393574391607218182?s=19

Some great memories. At the league and FA cup finals but missed the trip to Dortmund
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: 20 years ago - One week in May
      Reply #1: May 15, 2021 03:45:20 pm

Some great memories. At the league and FA cup finals but missed the trip to Dortmund

First thing I think about when I hear "treble" is the ref pointing to the spot vs. Barcelona (sorry FK10, Roma) and then to the corner. They were going mad. Very quick swerve in emotions for me, followed by finishing the match and knowing we were in (sorry again, the auarterfinal).
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2021 05:12:50 pm by Robby The Z »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: May 15, 2021 03:55:37 pm
      20 years ago, I just cant get my head around that
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3: May 15, 2021 04:10:36 pm
      First thing I think about when I hear "treble" is the ref pointing to the spot vs. Barcelona and then to the corner. They were going mad. Very quick swerve in emotions for me, followed by finishing the match and knowing we were in another final.

That was roma
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: May 15, 2021 05:11:18 pm

Oh right. The penalty with Barca was McAllister taking it.

Early sign of dementia maybe.  :-\

I should stick with the League Cup final and my kids playing with toy cars under the restaurant table in DC. Not exactly 20 years ago but the same wonderful season.

Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2021 05:18:11 pm

Cheers for the heads up mate I’ll be watching that tomorrow night.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #6: May 15, 2021 05:50:45 pm
      Thing I always remember is in the league cup vs Birmingham their striker (Andy Johnson maybe) got hauled down in the box and referee played on. Their manager went nuts.
      And FA cup final henchoz must have got away with giving away at least a couple of penalties.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: May 15, 2021 06:36:42 pm
      Thing I always remember is in the league cup vs Birmingham their striker (Andy Johnson maybe) got hauled down in the box and referee played on. Their manager went nuts.
      And FA cup final henchoz must have got away with giving away at least a couple of penalties.

I just remember Marcus Babbel was an absolute hero never gave up never stopped trying. Like Brian said where did those 20 years go.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #8: May 15, 2021 07:04:47 pm

Trevor Francis was the manager, he went to the same primary school as I did, a few years apart
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #9: May 15, 2021 08:00:15 pm
      LFCTV showing the alaves game at midnight
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: May 15, 2021 08:11:00 pm
      Was there for the FA Cup final, Arsenal absolutely smashed us that day which made that Owen magic even more special.

And that Berger pass, what a F***ing pass that was.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #11: May 15, 2021 08:20:06 pm
      Was there for the FA Cup final, Arsenal absolutely smashed us that day which made that Owen magic even more special.

And that Berger pass, what a f**king pass that was.

Still can see seaman grasping at thin air, great day, really hot. Sat baking in the car on the m4 but didn't care one bit.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12: May 16, 2021 02:47:04 am
      Tell me ma, me ma
      To put the Champagne on Ice
      We're going to Cardiff twice
      Tell me ma, me ma
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #13: May 16, 2021 06:19:48 am

Me neither Bri. What a time that was.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: May 16, 2021 09:10:12 am

same here, feels like yesterday.

I was parting like fuk at the time 27yrs old, watched almost every game in my local boozers in Hamilton. take me back. ;D
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #15: May 17, 2021 09:24:59 am

Probably my favourite season ever is this one

I was 22, in my prime  :D,  I'd gone travelling that year too, I was still around for the league Cup final a d went to that but went off travelling not long after, I watched the FA cup final and the UEFA cup final in a Liverpool supporters club in Toronto at f**k knows what time, like 9am ish from what I remember, we had to book spots in there and I went with a budget of £25 a day for my trip, so that I didn't need to work at all. I think I spent nearly a months worth of budget over those two finals and ended up in a Irish bar until around the same time the following morning drinking whiskey with this ex pat Irish group of lads who lived in Toronto
      I think I only got over that hangover about a month ago it was that bad

Unbelievable few weeks, bounced around the the for a year on the back of it

Came down to earth a few times after it though, Bolton away at the begining of the next season stands out too, found the only bar showing it at the time in Fiji and watched Sander drop one in and used the excuse the ball was cold or some sh*te  :D

F***ing unbelievable few weeks, unbelievable year and probably my best on the planet
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 17, 2021 10:34:10 am
      what I find strange is the treble was 20 years ago and seem like another lifetime but Istanbul was only 4 years later and seems like yesterday
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: May 17, 2021 12:13:41 pm
      what I find strange is the treble was 20 years ago and seem like another lifetime but Istanbul was only 4 years later and seems like yesterday

I was more sober in 05, so I remember what pubs I was in, Blamed the pub at ht and moved to another for 2nd half. It worked.   :food-smiley-005: :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: May 19, 2021 10:57:40 pm
      Doesn't seem like 20 years at all. Maybe time flies faster these days.

I loved that Golden Goal rule and knew as soon as the ball went in, the game was won. It made extra time in games more watchable, rather than the usual tedious procession to penalties. Surprised the staff didn't know about the rule though, no wonder players don't know what a penalty is nowadays. It was replaced by the Silver Goal rule a couple of years later (where the team that scored first in extra time would win if they were still ahead or the game was level again at the end of it) It didn't last very long though and by the time Istanbul happened, both rules were gone, and now we're back to the usual tedious procession to penalties.

Even if the goal wasn't scored, we would have been playing against 9 men for the rest of the game as the ref had finally ran out of yellow cards to give them, so I'm sure we would have scored again anyway.

For the neutral, I'm sure it was one of the great finals. For us, having lost two leads, it was rather harder to enjoy. I would have preferred a more comfortable night. UEFA recently did a feature on it from their perspective on one of the European magazine shows. They never reached another European final, and spent their time getting promoted and relegated from the Spanish First Division,  which continues to this day.

20 years ago today, we went to Charlton with our fate in our own hands. The first half was a bit of a hangover from winning the cups but we got through it. Once we got the first goal, we settled down, won it at a canter and were back in the European Cup for the first time in 17 years. When we got a lap of honour from the whole stadium, the incredible achievements of the whole season, started to sink in.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: May 20, 2021 08:22:17 am
      f***in 20 years, unbelievable, I was with this bi*ch at the time who thought that she was more important than LFC,

We had a massive barney over how much time  didn't spend with her , at the time I played lots of golf, especially the 19th, out with the lads etc she asked where she came in terms of how important she was to me, I told her 4th on the list behind LFC, golf, the lads, she wasn't happy,  but i explained to her it was a Champions league spot and she shouldn't complain,

We never spoke for days, mainly because I was hammered, played more golf followed by week away on the piss 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, bi*ch fu**ed off not long after .

Not gonna forget that am I?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: May 27, 2021 10:39:36 pm
      watching it again and i will watch it again and again it will always feel like yesterday. Seeing Stevie grow into a monster player and Robbie at his best is just a joy
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: May 28, 2021 01:01:36 pm

Can't believe that was 20 years ago! Damn I feel old!

Quick Reply