Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v WBA?

Alisson Becker
      79 (63.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.6%)
      Nat Phillips
      0 (0%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      43 (34.7%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: May 20, 2021 06:27:08 pm

West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26846 times
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Re: West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: May 16, 2021 10:02:53 pm
      Definately could actually draw one and still sneak through

That would be such a Liverpool thing to do that it'll probably happen

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see all 3 teams finish on 67 points and it go down to goal difference

Maybe I'm just telling myself that so I don't get too despondent if we draw at Burnley

It'd require Chelsea losing to Villa but their players will have one eye on not getting injured for the Champions League final so I wouldn't rule it out even if it seems unlikely on paper (so did them putting 7 past us)

Spurs are perfectly capable of securing a draw at Leicester, as long as they don't turn up and decide to be Spursy (please Spurs, don't be Spursy, not this weekend)

Hopefully we just batter the next two opponents and it doesn't matter what Chelsea and Leicester get up to. It'd be nice to be sitting in a top 4 spot Weds night, although that carries its own pressure on the final day, which I won't be able to watch, I'll be a F***ing nervous wreck
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #668: May 16, 2021 10:06:16 pm
      That would be such a Liverpool thing to do that it'll probably happen

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see all 3 teams finish on 67 points and it go down to goal difference

Maybe I'm just telling myself that so I don't get too despondent if we draw at Burnley

It'd require Chelsea losing to Villa but their players will have one eye on not getting injured for the Champions League final so I wouldn't rule it out even if it seems unlikely on paper (so did them putting 7 past us)

Spurs are perfectly capable of securing a draw at Leicester, as long as they don't turn up and decide to be Spursy (please Spurs, don't be Spursy, not this weekend)

Hopefully we just batter the next two opponents and it doesn't matter what Chelsea and Leicester get up to. It'd be nice to be sitting in a top 4 spot Weds night, although that carries its own pressure on the final day, which I won't be able to watch, I'll be a f**king nervous wreck

With the crowd in I am OK with weekend game it's the Burnley one which is going to be hard watch.  The longer that game is 0-0 the more uncomfortable it will get although Leeds gave them a lesson . To be honest today I thought we were a lot more patient and played some good football around their box rather than slinging aimless crosses in which Burnley will hope we do
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #669: May 16, 2021 10:13:31 pm
      With the crowd in I am OK with weekend game it's the Burnley one which is going to be hard watch.

I'm gonna struggle with both. I'd written off our season when we lost Matip after Virg and Joe. Now there's something on the line again I'm gonna go to jelly both games (I'm getting like my arl fella who gets too stressed out to watch us these days). CL qualification is too important to Klopp's last 3 years for us to F**k it up now.

Leeds fans have got some theory that the time to play any team is the game after they've played Leeds, because Leeds run sides into the ground. I dunno if that's backed up statistically but they seem pretty confident it's correct. I F***ing hope it is and it works on Weds.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,613 posts | 2159 
      Reply #670: May 16, 2021 10:15:58 pm
      i havent stopped laugning since! Reminds of the late Gary Mac winner at Everton 20 years ago and the last minute Mellor thunderbolt vs Arsenal. Inceedible!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #671: May 16, 2021 10:36:37 pm
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #672: May 16, 2021 10:48:52 pm
      I was so frustrated at half time I didn't watch the second half, so just come in to see Ali's last minute header - wow! 

The celebrations clearly show what a tightly knit bunch this group of players is - that game was a rollercoaster ride of relief and belief.

We won, we've still got hope but, overall, that was a crap performance again: Curtis had a mare, Wiliams clearly isn't up to it I'm afraid and, up front, we wasted far too many chances.

Now Fab's back in midfield, Thiago's looking more and more like the real deal with every game - MOM for me. 

Wish people would stop slagging Gini - he's been a great player for us - cut the guy some slack!

I'd like to know how some of our squad who hardly ever play manage to pick up so many injuries... Jota, Keita (again), Origi?

Relieved to get the 3 points and move on to Burnley
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #673: May 16, 2021 10:55:33 pm

I'd like to know how some of our squad who hardly ever play manage to pick up so many injuries... Jota, Keita (again), Origi?

Keita is made of glass, Origi shouldn't ever get on anyway as he's useless, and Jota was injured from hard challenges so just unlucky.

Shame for Diogo he's a brilliant player just wait until next season he will be amazing.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #674: May 16, 2021 11:05:17 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,419 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #675: May 16, 2021 11:11:59 pm
      Listening to bisto breath moaning after the game was music to my ears
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: West Brom V Liverpool
      Reply #676: May 16, 2021 11:21:03 pm
      I don’t care how we score the winner, it can come off anyone's body part that is legal and I’ll take it!

Ask and ye shall receive!  :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #677: May 16, 2021 11:29:06 pm
      Listen to Ali’s interview

If anyone wants to know how tough our season has been.. listen to him

Had me in tears even hours later watching it again.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #678: May 16, 2021 11:33:31 pm

and again with the waterworks - stop it JD!  :D. This club has driven me completely mental.

EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #679: May 16, 2021 11:36:14 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69H3qvc2-ag

This one's for you Ali on yer big day
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #680: May 16, 2021 11:46:11 pm
      Still can’t believe it, I genuinely thought that was it, no chance of winning - then bang Alisson pops up with a world class header.

Please don’t do the same thing against Burnley and Palace, my heart and mental state can’t handle this sh*t, I prefer 2 goals to the good at half time please.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,694 posts | 892 
      Reply #681: May 17, 2021 12:03:25 am
      Saw the whole game again, and im so delighted for Ali and us that we got the three points.

We controlled the game, and should have scored more goals. Thiago and Taa were the outstanding players, even tho i gave my motm to Ali.

I feel bad for saying this but we cant play Williams next game, we cant have this pairing of cb and expect us to hold a clean sheet.

I noticed that specially in first half, Williams wasnt challenging in the air outside of our box, which ended with Nat going for them. I dont know if it was planned nor the reason for it. But when nat missed those, he was caught out of position.

He was overloaded and to me it looked like that he was burdening williams responsibility too.

Williams was much better in the second.
      If i was jk and no other cb was available, id play fab with Nat. Not where i wakt him, but it cant be this pairing again.
      Feel bad pointing out a young lad, but the next games are must win to save this season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #682: May 17, 2021 12:10:16 am
      Saw the whole game again, and im so delighted for Ali and us that we got the three points.

We controlled the game, and should have scored more goals. Thiago and Taa were the outstanding players, even tho i gave my motm to Ali.

I feel bad for saying this but we cant play Williams next game, we cant have this pairing of cb and expect us to hold a clean sheet.

I noticed that specially in first half, Williams wasnt challenging in the air outside of our box, which ended with Nat going for them. I dont know if it was planned nor the reason for it. But when nat missed those, he was caught out of position.

He was overloaded and to me it looked like that he was burdening williams responsibility too.

If i was jk and no other cb was available, id play fab with Nat. Not where i wakt him, but it cant be this pairing again.
      Feel bad pointing out a young lad, but the next games are must win to save this season.

As long as Fabinho plays in midfield then I don’t care. We win games with Fabinho and Thiago together in the middle.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #683: May 17, 2021 12:33:01 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #684: May 17, 2021 12:34:39 am
      F**k sake

Page 18 of this match thread, replies 428-440  ..I was sitting there almost in tears, shaking my head, watching the game and reading the posts and I thought we lost or they kicked a goal according to some of the comments, looked up at the TV and Ali powers the header home. Must be on a 40 second delay here in Oz because you guys were talking about the winner before I even knew it happened!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #685: May 17, 2021 12:36:05 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #686: May 17, 2021 01:07:06 am
      As long as Fabinho plays in midfield then I don’t care. We win games with Fabinho and Thiago together in the middle.

Said a while back that we have to learn to live with the odd defensive mistake with the personnel we have. We won't win many games 1-0 and so it has turned out.

January to March were awful but we have picked ourselves up and improved. Fabinho back in midfield and Thiago finally clicking, looking closer to the pace and getting closer to the opposition area.

Few weeks back going a goal down was curtains for us but now we remember we can do comebacks.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #687: May 17, 2021 01:16:40 am
      MOTM poll on here probably sums up most of our mindsets with football. One third head, two thirds heart!
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #688: May 17, 2021 02:47:42 am

It was Williams that was overloaded for their goal today, he's marking his fella, Phillips is zonal marking in the RCB slot, Fabinho comes for a header and fails to get there so their fella gets a flick-on, Phillips is ballwatching as per usual and doesn't notice Robson-Kanu who makes a clever run down the back of Rhys, Phillips is too far to the right and can't react in time, neither can Robbo who is probably too far forward but maybe he was trying to stay in line with the CBs.

This follows on from Old Trafford where Phillips was at fault for their second goal (as well as the ridiculous first) in a not dissimilar fashion, but that time he was caught chasing one of their players 10 yards out into midfield. This time he was too far to the right rather than too far forward, although to try to be fair to Nat it was a brilliant run by Robson-Kanu who is a very experienced player, and it left so little reaction time that even Robbo couldn't quite get back. That's what happens when your centre backs are too far apart.

If they're gonna play together in the last 2 games - which they will unfortunately - then they need to play a bit nearer each other. Burnley are going to try that all night, two forwards, one gets the flick on and the other one strolls through the massive gap between the centre backs. Klopp needs to set them up better to deal with it. Better for the lads to be too narrow than too far apart.

To be fair it wasn't even a free kick today so we shouldn't even be talking about conceding a goal. There was nothing wrong with Thiago's attempt to win the ball in the first place. Mike Dean has had an absolute shi**er of a game there, absolutely woeful. The free-kick that should have been a dropped ball - that we scored from - was farcical.

If they're both fit then Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes are gonna be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of playing our 2 lads. It's gonna be long ball, one wins the flick-on and sends the second striker in behind the centre backs. All night long. They're experienced, wily forwards who are good at what they do, even if it's ugly to watch.

Problem with Phillips is he's just not played enough first team footie at his age. Half a season at Stuttgart isn't enough for someone in their mid-20s. He's played years of u-23 football (which is an absolutely sh*te standard - all the good kids are already out on loan) and learned absolutely nothing by the look of it. He should have about 3 years of lower league loans behind him by now, or just been got shut of.

Yes Fabinho should come in at CB as he reads the game so well. Fine, leave Rhys out, let Phillips and Chris Wood have a headsmashing contest and let Fabinho pick up the pieces. Good idea. Fabinho offers no sort of protection against a team like Burnley anyway. They don't play on the ground. If they wanna bypass Fab they'll just kick it over the top of him. Waste of time him being there then. Should play Thiago at 6 and let him dictate play from there. Gini and Curtis at 8, or Milner if Klopp wants to play it safe - I hope not, we should be going for the win.

Fabinho's a far better centre back than he's given credit for, and his ability at 6 is overblown. There's not that much difference between his effectiveness in the two positions. He's probably my player of the season actually although it's a tough call this year and most will go for Mo. If Fab's a better centre back than either of the lads playing there, which he is by a country mile, then it's daft for people to categorically state that he's not a centre back. I bet he'd absolutely boss it at CB playing for Brasil.

Unfortunately Klopp seems to have decided he's made his 2 inexperienced centre back bed and he's gonna lie in it, so it's squeaky bum time for the next 3 hours of football. Personally I think it's tactical suicide playing those 2 lads together, even more so with a high line, so I just hope the quality of the rest of the team is enough to pull us through. And if it isn't enough, it's not gonna be the 2 lads' fault, it's gonna be the manager's fault I'm afraid. They're playing to the best of their ability and that's all they can do.

We're so open. We're set up to concede goals to 3-touch attacks: 1) long ball; 2) flick on; 3) striker shoots into the net. 3-touch football. It's ridiculous for a club like ours to be so vulnerable to such shithouse tactics.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #689: May 17, 2021 02:48:08 am
      MOTM poll on here probably sums up most of our mindsets with football. One third head, two thirds heart!

Yup I thought Thiago played the strongest overall match and so I voted for him, but Ali had the moment of the season.

Quick Reply