Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Nat Phillips
      3 (3%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (7.1%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      40 (40.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (5.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      40 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: May 27, 2021 05:23:24 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17404 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: May 23, 2021 07:45:11 pm
      Has any other team Lost 6 League games on the bounce and finished higher than we did?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #576: May 23, 2021 07:49:29 pm
      Has any other team Lost 6 League games on the bounce and finished higher than we did?

Has any team lost 6 on the bounce and not been relegated?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #577: May 23, 2021 07:52:51 pm
      Ali has been superb this season and his goal for me makes him player of the season and like JĆ¼rgen had to overcome adversity

I can't look past Fabinho for player of the season, mate.

We mustn't forget what he's done this season. He stepped up and became a top class CB for us. Without him, this CL place wouldn't have happened.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #578: May 23, 2021 07:56:07 pm

We mustn't forget what he's done this season. He stepped up and became a top class CB for us. Without him, this CL place wouldn't have happened.

Not sure its a debate

Honourable mentions to

Mo, for his goals

Nat, had he been trusted more then maybe Fab would be under pressure for player of the year

Ali, yes he was below par but consider what he went through, saves he made and that goal...actually I might be changing my own mind here
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #579: May 23, 2021 07:57:25 pm

I wouldnt argue with that but what  Ali has done and been through and has made so many saves that go unnoticed and then to top it all scores the F***ing winner in the last minute its just bonkers.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #580: May 23, 2021 08:03:56 pm
      Just look at that progress line chart - monumental effort from the boys to get back into third!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/opta-stats/progress-chart#

Its some achievement considering ,injuries VAR ,no fans 18 odd different pairings stress management every game it takes its toll. Just looked at Sky betting have us @13/2 for next seasons Premiership had a wee interest
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #581: May 23, 2021 08:32:04 pm
      Fab has been awesome, he wanted so much to be here, he posted a vid travelling up to Lpool, with his girl/wife?,  and he has played that way since.
       He has taken up the slack, when the centre backs got injured, but we know how good he is at DM, time and again, he takes pressure off the central defenders.  If Thiago would have been with us from the start, then hands down, This guy is class, and it shows
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #582: May 23, 2021 08:52:53 pm
      Champions League status is so important plus you can tell Klopp just loves being part of it.

I hope FSG donā€™t tighten the purse strings - would be great to really build out this squad with more quality.

Iā€™m talking 3 or 4 top quality players.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #583: May 23, 2021 08:53:34 pm
      A season where Solskjaer, Dean Smith and "The Chosen One" were all having good years shows that there was something not right with this year. On top of the horrific injuries we had, we were never going to win this title so I don't see us having handed them anything. We were just paralysed by circumstances.

Next season, things will return to normal.

Correct as soon as we lost our back line it was over regardless that we were too of the league at the time  no team could have managed in those circumstances.

We left it late but in the end the decision to bring Kebak into the fold helped to bring Fab back into midfield and for us to at least compete in the midfield again.

Nat was our rock too giving us everything he had and even Rhys has stepped up in the run in to keep some clean sheets.

Next season I'm not sure we can win the title because Virgil and Joe may not be back for all of it, and may need a long time to get back to peak fitness, but we have sufficient depth to make sure we aren't battling on the last day of the season  for CL qualification.

Given the circumstances we did exceptionally well to finish a place below United who barely had an injury or a VAR call go against them all season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #584: May 23, 2021 09:02:36 pm
      Well - he kept his promise.

What a player Mohamed Salah is - so technical, so beautiful on the ball. We have a wonderful winger who genuinely is also a top notch leader. Was amazing today!

https://twitter.com/mosalah/status/1360965364813807623?s=21
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #585: May 23, 2021 09:06:04 pm
      Great way to bounce back, after mid season slump. Hopefully better luck injury wise next season, once again qualifying for the champions league. Onwards and upwards !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #586: May 23, 2021 09:20:18 pm

Hard to think about this home run costing us our season.

:f_wah:

Draw vs. City and win the other 5 and we're champions today.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #587: May 23, 2021 09:24:30 pm
      hope your stress levels have come down mate and we can just look back on a fantastic effort by the lads to get 3rd place

Walton - congrats on being a faithful fan all the way - and for continuing to support the greatest club in the world!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #588: May 23, 2021 09:26:50 pm
      hope your stress levels have come down mate and we can just look back on a fantastic effort by the lads to get 3rd place

Best feeling - relief and pure excitement for next season! We roll on.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #589: May 23, 2021 09:29:06 pm
      Professional performance. The team has been playing better and better football and I think it's a true credit to JĆ¼rgen and the coaching staff who have never panicked and remained focused on training this team despite adverse circumstances. It also speaks to the teachability and footballing intelligence of the group recruited to play here.

Credit to the center backs today for playing with heart and getting better game by game. No they are not Virgil and Joe but they were good enough to help us turn the season around, nervy moments or not.

I don't think there is going to be a massive clearout. Gini is on his way but I think no more than 2-3 others will leave. I don't expect more than 2-3 incoming either. JĆ¼rgen is about training the group he has - it's how he's wired.

I'm ready for four weeks off, but optimistic about next season. Keep the faith everyone!

EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #590: May 23, 2021 09:41:40 pm
      Wonderful end to the season

Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams take a bow for the last few weeks, in fact Rhys you'd better only take half a bow as you're only a kid, you're probably not allowed to take a full one

Shame he missed that header cos Rhys was great today, he's come on a bomb in a short space of time, a couple of months ago he'd get the ball off Nat, take a touch and then give it back again: safety first. Today his passing was blob on, including a couple of nice long rangers. At Old Trafford he played the pass of the game, 50 yards from LCB right onto Trent's toe on the right wing. Gets played into a wee bit of trouble by Alisson today and just rolls his man and plays a left foot pass to Robbo. Lovely to see. Great support from the fans today, clapping everything he did right, which was basically everything except put that header under the bar.

Thiago: absolutely magnificent, even better than his recent performances which have all been MOTM-worthy or near enough.

Some passages of football were extraordinary.

Thiago played a pass first half from right midfield with the outside of his foot that started out down the middle of the 'fairway' and then sliced to the right and missed a defender by not much and landed just at Salah's feet. As passes go it was an absolute work of art. Honestly I don't even think even Gerrard could have pulled it off. One of the most outrageous passes I've seen from a player in any shirt never mind just ours.

Second goal was ridiculous: Trent plays an outside of the foot pass to Thiago who plays an outside of the foot pass to Mo, who dances down the wing and then the ball finds its way to Sadio and bang and it's in the net but the 2 outside of the foot passes back-to-back were just sublime. If Thiago plays as the right-sided 8 next season and Hendo switches to the left, a right side of Trent Thiago and Mo is enough to strike terror into any opposition in world football.

MOTM is tricky: hard not to go for Sadio but I won't as apart from the goals other players had better games, and I can't keep going for Thiago so I'm gonna just about go for Mo who absolutely ran his socks off and deserved a goal in this game, very very lively and his link-up play was good which isn't always the case, moves often break down when they get to Mo (not helped by defenders climbing all over him), but not today, almost flawless bar his late miss which was a real shame.

Loved to hear the fans back in and the support for Gini was class even with only 10k in.

Only sad note was seeing Gini leaving the club. I'm absolutely gutted. Lovely fella. He could have given it the biggun and said his favourite memory was Barcelona semi-final, but instead he says his favourite moments are just being part of this club, his teammates, manager, being at Melwood and Kirkby every day. Absolutely class. You'll never walk alone Gini lad. Always be a Red. Long and happy life to you. Come back and see us soon.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #591: May 23, 2021 10:16:44 pm
      Fantastic achievement to finish 3rd considering all the obstacles this season.

We will be back next season fit, hungry, fans back, and a point to prove.

its 98 or so points in a full season mate right back to our best in terms of getting results. It is a fantastic way to finish this season restoring the lads faith in each other and knowing we will have the best CB partnership in football back and raring to go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #592: May 23, 2021 10:19:43 pm
      Walton - congrats on being a faithful fan all the way - and for continuing to support the greatest club in the world!

I have been looking at the roll we have been on and its been clear to me the lads had got back their focus and JĆ¼rgen deserves so much credit because he didnt change things too much and kept faith in his players. Who wouldnt want to play for a man like that.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #593: May 23, 2021 10:41:36 pm
      Anyone else think Sadio sparked of the 10000 rocking reds in the ground today?
      « Last Edit: May 23, 2021 10:49:44 pm by Brian78 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #594: May 23, 2021 10:48:03 pm
      Correct as soon as we lost our back line it was over regardless that we were too of the league at the time  no team could have managed in those circumstances.

We left it late but in the end the decision to bring Kebak into the fold helped to bring Fab back into midfield and for us to at least compete in the midfield again.

Nat was our rock too giving us everything he had and even Rhys has stepped up in the run in to keep some clean sheets.

Next season I'm not sure we can win the title because Virgil and Joe may not be back for all of it, and may need a long time to get back to peak fitness, but we have sufficient depth to make sure we aren't battling on the last day of the season  for CL qualification.

Given the circumstances we did exceptionally well to finish a place below United who barely had an injury or a VAR call go against them all season.

For sure. It will be interesting to see whether we pursue Konate this summer. If so it may suggest a lack of confidence in keeping that Gomez/VVD pairing together. It's a risk to put all the expectancy back on two central defenders coming back from serious injuries, particularly given that one (Gomez) seems particularly prone to them. In that sense signing Konate or someone similar makes sense. With Gini going, it will be interesting to see how they conduct business this summer.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #595: May 23, 2021 11:15:05 pm
      Talking to other fans ( theyā€™re team donā€™t matter)Its hard to emphasise to them, losing the likes of Virgil alone was just catastrophic to the minds of our players.You just get the likes of ā€œ we all have had injury problemsā€,but you have to be a ā€œ Redā€ to ā€œ understand ā€œWhat we achieved in the end was ā€œ humongest ā€œ Next season, as sure as God made lttle green apples weā€™re there.Ynwa.( soz guy celebatery pissed ) 🙈😄
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #596: May 24, 2021 01:20:50 am
      Just so relieved and proud of the team for the way weā€™ve ended the season. Says a lot about the teamā€™s mentality that we can see virtually all our hopes dashed but still find the mettle to finish 3rd. We were staring down the depressing barrel of Europa League football, or perhaps none at all, and the uncertainty of what that would mean for a team used to a seat at the top table but now we can look forward to having a reset and another chance to push for the league and CL.

Yes there are some big lessons to be learned in this most unusual of seasons ā€” perhaps none greater than we must never again find ourselves in such a predicament with our CBs ā€” but at least we have the chance to address these problems from the position of being in Europeā€™s premier club competition, which is huge. A big well done to the players and manager👍
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #597: May 24, 2021 03:23:17 am
      I didn't get to watch the match, but I'm very intrigued by the MotM poll.  Usually a player scoring a pair of goals in a 2-0 win runs away with the vote, so I'm assuming Thiago must have been exceptional.

Quick Reply