Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Player of the year 2020/21

Alisson
      4 (5.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (3.8%)
      Ben Davies
      0 (0%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      7 (9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Fabinho
      23 (29.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.3%)
      Thiago
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Mohamed Salah
      36 (46.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Jun 08, 2021 10:14:39 am

LFC Reds Player of the Year 2020/21

Read 6607 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: LFC Reds Player of the Year 2020/21
      Reply #23: May 24, 2021 08:55:43 pm

Sorry dude...him playing CB didn't win us any games. In my opinion Mo was more impactful over the entire season.

No problem. Mo didn't have his best season, but he was still good.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #24: May 24, 2021 09:00:57 pm

No problem. Mo didn't have his best season, but he was still good.

Not his best by a mile. 16 goals from open play is half from what he put in his first year here.

In the last 10 games where we picked up form he scored in 5 of them of which 4 really impacted the game. His last minute goal against United is when we were already up 3-2 and had no impact on getting the points.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #25: May 24, 2021 09:06:59 pm
      Not his best by a mile. 16 goals from open play is half from what he put in his first year here.

In the last 10 games where we picked up form he scored in 5 of them of which 4 really impacted the game. His last minute goal against United is when we were already up 3-2 and had no impact on getting the points.

Goals aren't the only way a scorer impacts the game, I think we see that with Bobby. He (Mo) makes teams have to adjust and pay him attention which certainly affects the game for others. Especially when Bobby and Mane were struggling a little bit, Mo had a lot more consistency and was at least still an active threat (from the opponents perspective).
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #26: May 24, 2021 09:22:57 pm
      Went for Jota. He scored many game changing goals and at some stage of the season, he was basically our only goal threat while our front 3 was struggling. I also don't remember him having a bad game.
      To be fair, he was not our best player over the entire season, but that's only because he got injured (same as Thiago). However I'd argue he was the standout performer.

Honourable mentions:
      Fab, Mr Reliable
      Mo, for his goals
      Ali, difficult season (on and mostly off the pitch) but was there when it mattered
      Nat, for stepping up in the latter stages

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #27: May 24, 2021 09:26:22 pm

None of our front 3 had a great year to be honest. The shots to goals ratio this season was poor. Jota if he'd stayed fit would probably have been our most clinical finisher.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #28: May 24, 2021 09:28:34 pm
      Fab had a good season but actually didn't play all that well in the run in. Thiago was the one that transformed us in the middle of the park although putting Fab as protection for him did help (and he did play well when he was initially moved back into the midfield before tailing off).

I know a lot of people think Robbo had a sh*te season but I think considering he had to babysit the centre halves he still had a strong season, certainly defensively where he shut down that left side really well. I think with some quicker centre halves back there from next season we'll see him back on the front foot more in an attacking sense too.

Think it has to be Salah for me. Not his best season but still hit 20+ goals and was a constant threat to opposing teams. I wouldn't go as far as saying he got us top four by himself (Thiago and Trent were superb in the last 10 games) but it was a hell of a contribution again.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #29: May 24, 2021 09:30:04 pm
      Fantastic year for him. Played great in either midfield or CB.

During the 15 games when our season collapsed and we were getting shutout 9x, Salah only scored from open play in 2 of those 15 games, spanning 3 months. He was probably our worst player during that time since he does not do much else than scoring, while Fab was battling day in and out holding down the fort defensively.

That’s a flawed  and simple argument as it doesn’t acknowledge his contribution in the Champions League as he single handedly got us past Leipzig. One could apply the same logic and lament Fabinho for his lack of clean sheets at the back during the same barren period.  Your interpretation of battling is subjective and simplistic whilst having same application for Salah at the other end. He doesn’t get many chances on a platter and majority of his goals are individual graft. “Shutouts” don’t exist not even in “soccer” maybe NHL is more applicable.

Take Salahs goals out of the picture his availability and we’re nowhere near 3rd. Salah player of the year.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: May 25, 2021 09:54:07 am
      Robertson has reduced his quality this season.

For me it's Salah, then Fabinho and then Jota. Alisson, Phillips and Thiago gave a late push too.

Quality was slightly down on crossing yes, but he played every game to a very high level.

And the only guy to start every premier league game.

Salah, Fab & big Nat for sure up there too.

Jota & thiago injured too much to be counted IMO. as much as they have had brillaint spells.

Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #31: May 25, 2021 01:01:41 pm
      I'm going Mohammed Salah for his goals.

Nat a close second. Nat is the pure example of a player who gives his all for the badge.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #32: May 25, 2021 02:08:08 pm

Guess what cousin? The numbers are in and his 22 goals have contributed directly to 17 points this season. More than any other player in the league this year!

Lesson here is stay away from American sports and compare sh*t stats - win sh*t prizes.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #33: May 25, 2021 03:44:23 pm
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #34: May 25, 2021 04:26:20 pm
      Quality was slightly down on crossing yes, but he played every game to a very high level.

And the only guy to start every premier league game.

Salah, Fab & big Nat for sure up there too.

Jota & thiago injured too much to be counted IMO. as much as they have had brillaint spells.

For me, him and Mane reduced their form and were not any near being Player of the Year. I'm not saying that they are below-par, just were not POTY.

Salah all the way for me.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #35: May 25, 2021 05:13:19 pm
      Guess what cousin? The numbers are in and his 22 goals have contributed directly to 17 points this season. More than any other player in the league this year!

Lesson here is stay away from American sports and compare sh*t stats - win sh*t prizes.

But not all his 22 were perfect. Some were miskicked, some were deflections, some were just plain lucky. And therefore... is this important? A striker is not good enough when he doesn't score and when he does, his contribution disappoints???

Remove all his goals and we'll be at least 17 points poorer. Nailed it for me. Almost winning the golden boot is exceptional enough. A job well done for the season and looking forward to the next.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #36: May 25, 2021 05:16:25 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: May 25, 2021 05:22:24 pm
      Greedy b***ard and thank god he is. His stats are just off the charts and he is a team player by virtue of scoring the most goals puts his team in winning positions.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #38: May 25, 2021 05:50:27 pm

actually Salah winning the POTY is very consistent with American sports, where they take the easy way out and the guy with the most goals / homeruns / points often wins the personal award.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2021 06:04:05 pm by CT_LFC »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #39: May 25, 2021 06:09:10 pm
      I went for Fab. Taking out of midfield in hindsight was a terrible decision, but he delivers consistently wherever he plays. Along with Alisson, Virgil and Salah one of the first names on the team sheet.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: May 25, 2021 06:35:36 pm
      For me, him and Mane reduced their form and were not any near being Player of the Year. I'm not saying that they are below-par, just were not POTY.

Salah all the way for me.

Salah won it anyway. so all good. ;-)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: May 25, 2021 07:23:38 pm
      Hendo and Fab did a great job for the team playing out of position for the team. The two new rocks at the centre of our defence shut the F***ing SKY experts up and sured up our defense to give us an end to season we could never dream of just 2 months ago. Jota was outstanding when he played, Mo,Sadio and bobby still did a great job but Ali deserves a special mention for all he has been through he goes and scores a goal that is just mind blowing in its importance.
      In all honesty I couldnt really pick one player.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: May 26, 2021 01:18:46 am
      Well in Mo.

Let's get it again next season as well as The Golden Boot, A CL medal and a PL medal

Hope he does a clean sweep!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #43: May 26, 2021 07:53:01 am
      Well in Mo.

Let's get it again next season as well as The Golden Boot, A CL medal and a PL medal

Hope he does a clean sweep!

I do not can about the Golden boot if we win the last two you mention. Look at Kane and Son, both went brilliant but their team was dipped so much.

I prefer to have the team as POTY.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: May 26, 2021 07:53:52 am
      I do not can about the Golden boot if we win the last two you mention. Look at Kane and Son, both went brilliant but their team was dipped so much.

I prefer to have the team as POTY.

I want Mo to win the lot. Love him to bits!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #45: May 26, 2021 10:50:04 am
      It's Salah for me without a second thought.

Consistent scoring yet again and without that who knows where we might have ended up

Quick Reply