Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Summer Transfer Window Ins/Outs

Read 17540 times
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Re: Summer Transfer Window Ins/Outs
      Reply #46: May 27, 2021 12:35:45 pm
      What's a modern era number 9 in your book ?

Haaland

Martinez (Inter)

Jimanez

That type of player. Doesn't just hang around near the six yard box
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #47: May 27, 2021 12:36:47 pm
      Doesn't just hang around near the six yard box

Like Bobby
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #48: May 27, 2021 12:38:43 pm
      see even though bobby has a no.9 on his back, he aint a traditional 9, hes more of an 7+8+9+10 , he roams around linking the play, no chance he is going anywhere, he may be rotated a wee bit more with Jota and perhaps a new striker, but he is still a major cog in the red machine.

This I can live with.

We can move Bobby to another position which doesn't rely on scoring goals and from the bench
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #49: May 27, 2021 12:39:13 pm

Yes like Bobby but an upgrade on Bobby that scores goals.

Also are we going to address that thing called AFCON that will disable our strike options in January?
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #50: May 27, 2021 12:48:03 pm

Bobby brings far more than just goals to this team and I’d imagine that the likes of Haaland wouldn’t bring those things

It would mean a complete change of shape to incorporate one of those types and you may well get less out of the others

Not saying I would be against it obviously but I also am not blind enough to ignore the obvious quality and importance  Bobby brings
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #51: May 27, 2021 12:54:44 pm
      Did u see Cavain last night? His work rate, his overall distance? That's what we need. We need a Pit-Bull-type of player.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #52: May 27, 2021 12:58:37 pm

That's just not true! Bobby works his ass off.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #53: May 27, 2021 12:58:37 pm
      But what some f**king no mark says on a forum is truth?
       :lmao:

is English not your first language? All you had to do was read the bit after the comma. The truth is in what he does, not what he says. Pretty simple.

Actions speak louder than words. Ever heard that before? No? Ask an adult...
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #54: May 27, 2021 12:59:36 pm
      That's just not true! Bobby works his ass off.

How did you take that I don’t think he does from that?
      Early for the ale mate

Did u see Cavain last night? His work rate, his overall distance? That's what we need. We need a Pit-Bull-type of player.

F**k that

Compare what they have won in the last 5 years to what we have won

The admiring glances should only be one way
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #55: May 27, 2021 01:02:39 pm
      How did you take that I don’t think he does from that?
      Early for the ale mate

F**k that

Compare what they have won in the last 5 years to what we have won

The admiring glances should only be one way
      Thought you were agreeing that Bobby just hangs around the 6 yard box, like the poster you replied to implied.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #56: May 27, 2021 01:03:37 pm
      Thought you were agreeing that Bobby just hangs around the 6 yard box, like the poster you replied to implied.

Nah mate, he was saying we need a modern forward

That’s exactly what Bobby is
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: May 27, 2021 01:05:32 pm
      Nah mate, he was saying we need a modern forward

That’s exactly what Bobby is

Some people only see goals scored as a yardstick. Bobby hasn't had a great season, but he's a very useful player.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #58: May 27, 2021 01:08:27 pm
      Some people only see goals scored as a yardstick. Bobby hasn't had a great season, but he's a very useful player.

Bobby is someone who thrives off the crowd, you could see his best two performances this year were when we had people in and he heard his song and the noise. Spurs and Palace

He probably hated this season more than we have

However he still got 18 goals and assists, not terrible as some may want you to think

He’ll be firing again next year and still a mainstay of this side no doubt
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #59: May 27, 2021 01:36:48 pm

Bobby will thrive off Thiago being in the side. Makes a massive difference. Thiago brings him into the game more than the other mids, it seems to me, mostly from watching the back end of the season. Bobby's form seemed to pick up a lot with Thiago's return to the side.

I'm guessing this 'modern centre forward' thing is Haaland, or that archetype: tall and quick and predatory, someone who can get on the end of crosses high or low and finish. Bobby's game is about dropping off, not pinching a yard ahead of the centre backs to get on the end of crosses. But Jota can do that if he's played centrally, and I'm sure Sadio could if we tried him there.

These 4 forwards want to play, not be sat on the bench. 4 of them for 3 slots is as good as it's going to get. 5 of the same quality would be too much, not enough games for the players, and would start causing players wanting to go elsewhere. Sadio would chuck his dummy every time he's left out. Mo's agent would be busy tweeting full stops.

Only reason to buy a forward of the same level of quality this summer is because one of the existing four is leaving and with us getting in the CL again the idea that any of them would want out seems much less likely than a month or two ago.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #60: May 27, 2021 01:37:49 pm
      is English not your first language? All you had to do was read the bit after the comma. The truth is in what he does, not what he says. Pretty simple.

Actions speak louder than words. Ever heard that before? No? Ask an adult...

F**k off fella, you're a full of sh*t WUM.

"What Klopp says is irrelevant".
       :lmao:
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #61: May 27, 2021 01:46:00 pm
      F**k off fella, you're a full of sh*t WUM.

You're very uncouth today
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #62: May 27, 2021 01:46:35 pm
      Bobby is someone who thrives off the crowd, you could see his best two performances this year were when we had people in and he heard his song and the noise. Spurs and Palace

He probably hated this season more than we have

However he still got 18 goals and assists, not terrible as some may want you to think

It seems a lot of people go by stats, and don't use their eyes.

Firmino is an 8/9/10 hybrid,a modern forward rather than a "striker", who drops deep, drifts wide, is a playmaker, and a forward defender.
      People point to Rush and say how he pressed and defended from the front, and they'd be right, but he didn't take up the same deep positions as Firmino, who plays as an extra midfielder at times, but is always ready on the burst, knowing that our 3 midfielders are holding and defending the spaces behind, which allows TAA and Robertson to bomb forwards.

Firmino is not only the glue that binds our midfield and forwards,he creates so much, often one pass before the "assist".
      Great engine, great vision, keeps possession well, good passer, good goalscorer and a right pain in the arse for any opposition.

He's going nowhere.

The worry for me, is the Olympics, and AFCON.
      If we don't get anyone else in, it'll be because Klopp thinks Jota and Firmino plus one other (Elliot probably) can do a job for us while Mane and Salah are away.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #63: May 27, 2021 01:56:05 pm

Also are we going to address that thing called AFCON that will disable our strike options in January?

We'll see how that gets handled, but one thing is clear: You're not going to be able to say to an equal / similar talented player "hey, sign for us so you can start for 4-5 weeks, but before and after that window you will be 5th and 6th options up front". It doesn't work that way. Players want to play, particularly good ones.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #64: May 27, 2021 02:08:36 pm
      It seems a lot of people go by stats, and don't use their eyes.

Firmino is an 8/9/10 hybrid,a modern forward rather than a "striker", who drops deep, drifts wide, is a playmaker, and a forward defender.
      People point to Rush and say how he pressed and defended from the front, and they'd be right, but he didn't take up the same deep positions as Firmino, who plays as an extra midfielder at times, but is always ready on the burst, knowing that our 3 midfielders are holding and defending the spaces behind, which allows TAA and Robertson to bomb forwards.

Firmino is not only the glue that binds our midfield and forwards,he creates so much, often one pass before the "assist".
      Great engine, great vision, keeps possession well, good passer, good goalscorer and a right pain in the arse for any opposition.

He's going nowhere.

The worry for me, is the Olympics, and AFCON.
      If we don't get anyone else in, it'll be because Klopp thinks Jota and Firmino plus one other (Elliot probably) can do a job for us while Mane and Salah are away.

Fair play, I agree with almost all of that (possibly Ox rather than Harvey)

The only caveat is that Bobby does all of those things best when he's at peak energy Bobby. For much of the season he's looked tired and less involved in play. But he defo picked right up again at the back end of the season, helped by Thiago coming back into the side.

It might not be tiredness at all, he's not the quickest so his running style can look a bit laboured which can make him look tired, but his stats are dropping slowly bit by bit so we will have to pull the plug on him eventually. Question is when. Bobby Mo and Sadio are all down to 2 years this summer so it's renew now, wait a year, or let them do a Gini. Three choices. Which one will Edwards take, or will he make different choices for the 3 different players?

Clubs don't sign players for a month to cover the AFCON. Klopp will "find solutions" as he's fond of saying. Ox probably. Div if he's still here. I'd expect Harvey to get a loan again at a higher standard of footie.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #65: May 27, 2021 02:19:44 pm

Fair play, I agree with almost all of that (possibly Ox rather than Harvey)

The only caveat is that Bobby does all of those things best when he's at peak energy Bobby. For much of the season he's looked tired and less involved in play. But he defo picked right up again at the back end of the season, helped by Thiago coming back into the side.

It might not be tiredness at all, he's not the quickest so his running style can look a bit laboured which can make him look tired, but his stats are dropping slowly bit by bit so we will have to pull the plug on him eventually. Question is when. Bobby Mo and Sadio are all down to 2 years this summer so it's renew now, wait a year, or let them do a Gini. Three choices. Which one will Edwards take, or will he make different choices for the 3 different players?

Clubs don't sign players for a month to cover the AFCON. Klopp will "find solutions" as he's fond of saying. Ox probably. Div if he's still here. I'd expect Harvey to get a loan again at a higher standard of footie.

Firmino does all of those things every game.
      The difference when he's fatigued is that his passing and control are not as good.

He's also deceptively quicker than most people think.
      What makes him appear slower is that when he has found space with his first burst, he slows to look at who he can play in.

Then there's the AFCON thing: nothing wrong with bringing in a younger player who can fill in for a month, then build his way into the team as our front 3 get older.
      We're not going to wait until the front 3 are declining to bring players in, we'll bring them in sooner, bed them in, and rotate them, or they'll get game time off the bench.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #66: May 28, 2021 12:12:34 am
      With Konate coming in, and Matip seemingly staying put (I doubt anyone would be willing to buy him given his injury record) I'm going to assume we are going to cash in on Nat while his value is at its peak.  He will want more regular playing time and we will need money to help fund other transfers.  Moving on, I think Naby's time is up, and I think Minamino can take Shaq's place in the lineup.  I would say it's time for Origi to be replaced as well, but I don't see us having the funds this summer to sign an adequate replacement.  So....

Out
      Nat - 10M
      Davies - 5M ???
      Keita - 10M
      Shaq - 10M
      Elliot - Loan
      Gini - Free
      Total - 35M

In
      Konate - 35M
      Grealish - 60M
      Minamino - Return

It's basically Konate for Nat, Grealish for Gini, and Minamino returning to take the minutes that Keita and Shaq were getting.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #67: May 28, 2021 02:16:16 am

I never implied that.

I said we need a modern 9.

Someone asked me what's a modern 9? I answered someone who doesn't hang around the 6 yard box.

Bobby is a modern 9 but we need one that scores goals
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #68: May 28, 2021 03:13:19 am
      I never implied that.

I said we need a modern 9.

Someone asked me what's a modern 9? I answered someone who doesn't hang around the 6 yard box.

Bobby is a modern 9 but we need one that scores goals

I think Klopp probably knows what we need?

Quick Reply