Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Pre-season friendlies 2021

Read 33342 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Re: Pre-season friendlies 2021
      Reply #230: Aug 04, 2021 01:03:07 pm
      Not followed any pre season games, so what have we been like & are Virgil & Gomez looking like their old selves..?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #231: Aug 04, 2021 01:04:48 pm
      Not followed any pre season games, so what have we been like & are Virgil & Gomez looking like their old selves..?

Nope, not yet, and nor would I expect them to be.

It'll take a bit of time yet for them to get back to their old selves.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #232: Aug 04, 2021 01:05:22 pm
      Am I the only one happy with the team?

We will challenge my fellow Reds.

You’ll find that most people outside the net spend posse are happy with the team and we should be challenging for top honors.

As is the squad is too big and we need to shed some weight before we can add, but even if this is the team going into the season it is as good as there is in the sport.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #233: Aug 04, 2021 01:16:55 pm

I'm happy with the starting 11 we have. If they stay healthy, no one has a chance against us. But if we incur an injury or two, or have a possible drop off of a player here and there due to the number of games it could get dicey. But I'm of the opinion that just because you are happy with the team doesn't mean you don't try and improve it all the time, whether that's adding players, adding coaches, adding something new to training, etc. Other teams are going to try and strengthen and when you have the rich clubs with the ability to go and buy whoever they want you have to make sure you aren't losing ground by not strengthening yourself.

I am looking forward to seeing Harvey Elliott maybe getting some meaningful minutes, also thinking that Curtis Jones may see some big improvement as well after a good year last year.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #234: Aug 04, 2021 04:14:58 pm
      There are very few who can improve us and they will cost so much therefore I'm very happy with it.

Come on Reds.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #235: Aug 04, 2021 04:20:40 pm
      There are very few who can improve us and they will cost so much therefore I'm very happy with it.

That's not really true at all. There are plenty of players who could improve us, and the cost thing shouldn't matter as long as we aren't talking about spending like Man City. We should have the money for a big signing if there's someone available.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #236: Aug 04, 2021 04:22:41 pm
      That's not really true at all. There are plenty of players who could improve us, and the cost thing shouldn't matter as long as we aren't talking about spending like Man City. We should have the money for a big signing if there's someone available.

Preisely. Deals are made when the money's right.

We're not the only club that went through Covid.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #237: Aug 05, 2021 07:43:15 am

Think they've played about 20 minutes so early days on that.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,950 posts | 5009 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #238: Aug 05, 2021 08:14:46 am

There are plenty out there who could improve  us of course but would they actually fit into the system Jürgen plays, it’s not about how much we spend(or don’t spend) we will not buy big unless they are absolutely necessary ie; Virgil & Allison,

We all know by now that FSG won’t dig deep even considering Covid, they will not shift from their original idea of us only spending what we generate, irrespective of Covid and the lack of revenue caused by it, Jürgen Klopp is not a cheque book manager, he prefers to work with what he has at his disposal, and if he feels he has to buy big he will, he needed a quality CB to work alongside Virgil, Joe & Joel, hence the arrival of Konate, if he felt he needed to bolster his midfield or attack I think we would have seen that players(s) training by now,

That may yet happen but it’s doubtful, what that tells me is he’s happy with his squad and believes they can produce a serious title challenge, just because the Jones’s go out and spend their billions buying success doesn’t mean we have to, it seems there could be a lack of trust towards Jürgen from some of our own, maybe those who are still in the ‘doubters’ camp have yet to be converted into ‘believers’,

Is it because we faltered last season that those who doubt no longer trust Jürgen and his staff to put us back on our perch, maybe that’s why these boards are awash with negativity on the cusp of a new season!

We finished third last season with the same group of players, THIRD, with a squad ravaged by injuries to key players and using rookie defenders, playing square pegs in round holes, in short, our whole system was fractured, yet we still managed to finish in third place,

Our current squad is good enough to go all the way this season, irrespective of the Millions spent by others, i believe that, Jürgen believes that, and so do his players, so let’s all get behind them and give them the support they will need ! !

Y  N  W  A
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #239: Aug 05, 2021 12:55:06 pm

I'm less certain myself. I think it's a bit lazy to lay all of last season's problems at the door of our injuries at the back. After all we were sitting top of the league at the turn of the year and handling these issues rather well. That poor run in Jan through to March was as much about our inability to score goals as it was to defend. The drop in form of Mane (especially) and Firmino were a big part of this and i think this coming season pretty much rests on these two lads finding the form they showed 2018-19 and 19-20.

Defensively i'm happy with the Konate signing, looks like a decent signing, big, strong, quick and comfortable on the ball. In midfield it's clear we still need to sign a replacement for Gini and i can only assume we are having to sell before we can buy (which for me is ludicrous if it's true). The incumbents are all very injury prone and we have seen that Hendo and Milly are more and more susceptible to injury problems given their respective ages. I'm not sure Jones is a replacement for Gini and would much ratehr we sought a player like Bassouma who brings some of those Gini type qualities (e.g. great engine, tidy on the ball and capable of chipping in with a few goals here and there).

So in short. Happy with the first team IF Mane and Bobby bounce back.
      Not so happy with the squad and feel we need another midfielder and a forward option with promise to mitigate against injuries and poor form.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #240: Aug 05, 2021 01:33:20 pm
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #241: Aug 05, 2021 01:34:40 pm
      I'm less certain myself. I think it's a bit lazy to lay all of last season's problems at the door of our injuries at the back. After all we were sitting top of the league at the turn of the year and handling these issues rather well. That poor run in Jan through to March was as much about our inability to score goals as it was to defend. The drop in form of Mane (especially) and Firmino were a big part of this and i think this coming season pretty much rests on these two lads finding the form they showed 2018-19 and 19-20.

Defensively i'm happy with the Konate signing, looks like a decent signing, big, strong, quick and comfortable on the ball. In midfield it's clear we still need to sign a replacement for Gini and i can only assume we are having to sell before we can buy (which for me is ludicrous if it's true). The incumbents are all very injury prone and we have seen that Hendo and Milly are more and more susceptible to injury problems given their respective ages. I'm not sure Jones is a replacement for Gini and would much ratehr we sought a player like Bassouma who brings some of those Gini type qualities (e.g. great engine, tidy on the ball and capable of chipping in with a few goals here and there).

So in short. Happy with the first team IF Mane and Bobby bounce back.
      Not so happy with the squad and feel we need another midfielder and a forward option with promise to mitigate against injuries and poor form.

I disagree with the midfield additional player. I would give Elliott and Jones a good chance. Attacking wise, you're right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #242: Aug 05, 2021 01:46:06 pm
      I disagree with the midfield additional player. I would give Elliott and Jones a good chance. Attacking wise, you're right.

Neither Elliott or Jones are a like for like with Gini. So if you are looking for a Gini replacement, neither of them really fit the bill. That's not to say they aren't going to be good players, just that if you want to replace Gini, you'll need to look elsewhere.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #243: Aug 05, 2021 02:59:03 pm
      Neither Elliott or Jones are a like for like with Gini. So if you are looking for a Gini replacement, neither of them really fit the bill. That's not to say they aren't going to be good players, just that if you want to replace Gini, you'll need to look elsewhere.

True.  Really, none of the players in the squad offer what Gini did.  If Klopp decides not to replace him, it will just mean that our midfield will look different -- arguably more attack minded than in recent seasons.  Maybe something like this for rotation? 

Fab / Hendo
      Thiago / Jones / Elliot   ----   Keita / Chambo / Millie

But I expect a trio of Fab, Hendo, and Thiago to be the most common selection assuming everyone is fit.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #244: Aug 05, 2021 03:09:24 pm
      True.  Really, none of the players in the squad offer what Gini did.  If Klopp decides not to replace him, it will just mean that our midfield will look different -- arguably more attack minded than in recent seasons.  Maybe something like this for rotation? 

Fab / Hendo
      Thiago / Jones / Elliot   ----   Keita / Chambo / Millie

But I expect a trio of Fab, Hendo, and Thiago to be the most common selection assuming everyone is fit.

I agree on that starting three, as long as they are fit I'd say they will start most games, with Jones being deputized when one of them need a break (well other than Fab..he doesn't get a break ;D)
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,545 posts | 1488 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #245: Aug 05, 2021 03:10:50 pm
      Jota goal. Easy one too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #246: Aug 05, 2021 03:14:50 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #247: Aug 05, 2021 03:16:37 pm
      Mane capitalizing off of a mistake, nice goal.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #248: Aug 05, 2021 03:21:25 pm
      Elliott doesn't look out of place at all.

And Keita...if he could somehow stay fit it would be immense.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,950 posts | 5009 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #249: Aug 05, 2021 04:14:45 pm
      That new fella van dyke isn’t up to much is he, looks like a mummy’s boy to me, should have kept hold of Kabak  :f_whistle:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1791 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #250: Aug 05, 2021 04:15:31 pm
      whats with the black shorts today. ffs. look like manu
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #251: Aug 05, 2021 05:12:40 pm
      I feel like it's starting to click for Tsimikas, it looks like he understands what's expected of him as a fullback in our system and he's being much more aggressive and decisive. He can improve on a lot but he's getting to the right level of a decent backup to Robbo.

Nice finish on the half volley from Taki, 1-0
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #252: Aug 05, 2021 05:15:57 pm
      Left the red shorts at home?

Quick Reply