Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-season friendlies 2021

Read 32674 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Pre-season friendlies 2021
      Reply #23: Jun 01, 2021 12:22:06 pm

A silver bullet will do the trick
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Jun 01, 2021 12:51:05 pm

I know the lad blows hot and cold and extremely frustrating at times with weird comments but I do see a funny side to him and do enjoying reading some of his comments.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #25: Jun 01, 2021 12:54:42 pm
      Expecting very similar to last year.  Some kind of Austrian training camp and maybe a couple of games against Austrian/German sides and then a handful of friendlies against the Tranmere's, Bolton's etc.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Jun 02, 2021 07:25:16 am
      Expecting very similar to last year.  Some kind of Austrian training camp and maybe a couple of games against Austrian/German sides and then a handful of friendlies against the Tranmere's, Bolton's etc.

I would stay in UK. I would play Rangers, Celtic in Scotland and then teams around Liverpool as usual.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Jun 02, 2021 07:40:09 am
      We always play lesser mortals so can't see anything changing, so I'd like us to play teams like Watford, Palace, Everton, Arsenal and Accrington Stanley, oh and Man U as a kind of warm down game 😁
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Jun 02, 2021 12:21:11 pm

Is he gone?
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Reply #29: Jun 06, 2021 03:09:53 pm
      Training in Austria is definite, some staff back 12 July, some before/after don't know dates just some been told to return 12th so they can have a holiday - be like two weeks in Taleacre this summer tho. Not expecting any medicals until after that date but could call in a locum if needed.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Jun 19, 2021 02:49:54 pm
      Training in Austria is definite, some staff back 12 July, some before/after don't know dates just some been told to return 12th so they can have a holiday - be like two weeks in Taleacre this summer tho. Not expecting any medicals until after that date but could call in a locum if needed.
      Wait, they are having training camp in Austria or Wales?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #31: Jun 20, 2021 01:06:20 pm
      I read the same thing but United dropped out because they wanted to play a better side.  :f_whistle:

I heard that as well Keith. But clearly they haven’t been able to find one 😊
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Jun 25, 2021 12:14:39 pm
      I wonder if we have arranged anything. I imagine there is some delay for anything outside of UK given travel situations. I'm sure they would like to play someone in Dublin if possible, but may not be able to get an opponent from Spain or wherever.

May have to just stick to local teams.

Or are things loosening up?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #33: Jul 01, 2021 11:20:28 am
      Any updates of our friendlies? Is the date for the start of pre-season confirmed?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Jul 01, 2021 12:24:41 pm
      Any updates of our friendlies? Is the date for the start of pre-season confirmed?

They came back four weeks before the first Premier League game last season, but obviously that was a bit of a strange season. 

Expect some of the players would be back by the end of next week?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35: Jul 05, 2021 06:03:20 pm
      They came back four weeks before the first Premier League game last season, but obviously that was a bit of a strange season. 

Expect some of the players would be back by the end of next week?

July 12 is the opening day of training. Not everyone will be there at that point, as you mention. It will be less than a week after the conclusion of international duty for Hendo, Bobby, Fab, Ali, Thiago. We'll see how long these players need for a break, probably close to four weeks (which takes us nearly to the start of the league schedule).

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #36: Jul 06, 2021 08:51:08 am
      July 12 is the opening day of training. Not everyone will be there at that point, as you mention. It will be less than a week after the conclusion of international duty for Hendo, Bobby, Fab, Ali, Thiago. We'll see how long these players need for a break, probably close to four weeks (which takes us nearly to the start of the league schedule).

Henderson and Thiago both did not play that much, at least Hendo was brought back to match fitness. Alisson needs a rest not physically but mentally and he will be back immediately for our starting XI.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Jul 06, 2021 12:11:59 pm
      Henderson and Thiago both did not play that much, at least Hendo was brought back to match fitness. Alisson needs a rest not physically but mentally and he will be back immediately for our starting XI.

All three are likely to miss the season opener. Bobby and Fab as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #38: Jul 06, 2021 12:22:32 pm

I would be quite shocked if those players take a four week break. I’ll bet two weeks, and then get back for a couple weeks of training and be ready for the start of the season. We can’t afford to be missing key players at the start of the campaign. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Jul 06, 2021 02:52:07 pm
      ripped from another LFC fans site.

Liverpool will return to pre-season in a week’s time on July 12, which is in line with the rest of the Premier League‘s top five from last term – but later than the other 14 clubs.

The Reds will report back to Kirkby next week, with Jürgen Klopp expected to welcome 27 players for initial tests and exercises.

New signing Ibrahima Konate will be part of the group, while there are hopes all four of Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip will be passed fit to train as normal.

Among the others to take part from July 12 are Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner, with those at the Euros and Copa America to rejoin the squad at a later date.

Liverpool are yet to confirm their schedule of warmup friendlies, but the announcement is likely imminent as the UK government is slated to announce a July 19 end-of-lockdown date on Monday.

It is a later-than-usual return date for the Reds, with Klopp mindful of the physical and mental toll of the last two seasons as he hands his players an extra week off.

But the majority of the Premier League hasn’t followed suit, with 14 other clubs having already returned for pre-season or doing so in the coming days.

The only clubs not back by Thursday – when Burnley will resume training – are Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Chelsea and Leicester.

Interestingly, those are the five sides to finish highest in last season’s Premier League, and five of the six sides guaranteed European football in 2021/22.

West Ham also qualified for the Europa League, but "The Chosen One" has already begun pre-season with his squad, who were back at Rush Green from July 1.

The only clubs whose plans are as yet unknown are Man United and Man City, though United’s first friendly of the summer is scheduled for July 18, suggesting they will be back either in line with Liverpool or even earlier.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Jul 06, 2021 03:29:38 pm
      from the echo... I agree with klopp BTW. players need a proper rest after these summer comps.
      The possibility of Liverpool being without a number of star men on the opening day of the season has been raised by their progress to the latter stages of international tournaments this summer.

Roberto Firmino, Alisson Becker and Fabinho are part of the Brazil squad that secured a place in the Copa America final with victory over Peru on Monday.

And the Reds are likely to have representation in the showpiece fixture of this summer's European Championships, too.

Jordan Henderson and Thiago Alcantara will be hoping that England and Spain can get through their respective semi-finals to keep hopes of lifting the trophy alive.

But, while Jürgen Klopp is sure to relish his players' success this summer, it also means he faces an impending selection headache.

The ECHO understands that players featuring for their countries will be given at least three weeks off before they are expected to return for pre-season.

But that break is considered an absolute minimum, with Klopp keen for his squad to take a more prolonged rest as they recover from a gruelling 2020-21 campaign.

With the finals of Copa America and the Euros set to be played on July 10 and 11 respectively, players involved would only report back around August 9 in the event they are given four weeks off.

And that is just five days before Liverpool kick the new Premier League season off against Norwich City at Carrow Road.

It is unlikely Klopp will consider that enough training time for his late-returning internationals to be involved, with Alisson arguably the most probable exception.

As such, he will be forced to name a slightly makeshift team as the Reds start off the new campaign.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #41: Jul 06, 2021 04:04:50 pm
      from the echo... I agree with klopp BTW. players need a proper rest after these summer comps.

"The Echo understands"

There may not be a more inaccurate statement uttered.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #42: Jul 06, 2021 04:07:33 pm
      "The Echo understands"

There may not be a more inaccurate statement uttered.

;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #43: Jul 07, 2021 12:02:12 pm
      Hearing it mentioned we will be playing a game at Anfield at the end of July - possibly against another Premier League side. 

Check all systems are ready for the opening game of the season after such a long time without fans inside the ground.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #44: Jul 09, 2021 04:51:48 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #45: Jul 09, 2021 07:32:05 pm
      Hearing it mentioned we will be playing a game at Anfield at the end of July - possibly against another Premier League side. 

I've heard we've got a friendly lined up v Rangers at home

Quick Reply