Am I the only one who does not actually want us to buy Mbappé? Don't get me wrong, he's on his way to become the best player in the world, so on talent alone, it'd be a no-brainer. But there are serious downsides to this transfer...
1. His massive transfer fee. Call me crazy, but I'd rather spend the money on two world class players than one superstar. I believe the team would ultimately be stronger (think replacing Coutinho with Van Dijk + Alisson).
2. His salary. It's been discussed in the thread, but he would request wages that would disrupt our entire wage structure and could have a knock on effect on the rest of the team. Don't think for one moment Salah would be happy to see someone else earning twice as much as him.
He's also relatively young, so his wages would only increase over time. I see it as a similar situation to Messi at Barcelona, where his wages are actually hurting the club and impacting their transfer budget.
3. His attitude. His ego has been a problem at PSG and it's starting to show within the French squad as well. We've been so strong lately because our team is a real unit. Even our star players put the team first. The last thing we want is for someone to disrupt that.
4. His position on the field. Is he really what we need the most right now? Mbappé is very similar to Mo and Sadio. Who do we sacrifice? Wouldn't we be better served by trying to find a real killer up front to replace Bobby? (I'd love Haaland but most of my points are valid for him as well)
5. Not a real downside but we make stars, we don't buy them.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2021 07:07:13 pm by PTU »