Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tokyo 2020

Read 6202 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Tokyo 2020
      Jul 31, 2021 10:56:33 am
      I've been dipping in and out of the Olympics mainly due to the time difference but some good action so far.

Women's 100M today and a lot of build up just now on the BBC for Dina Asher Smith but I just cannot see her being fast enough to win gold.

BMX was interesting and one thing I do enjoy about the Olympics is watching sports you normally wouldn't give a second thought.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Tokyo 2020
      Reply #1: Jul 31, 2021 11:49:04 am
      I've watched quite a bit but it's been sh*t because they sold the European rights to Discovery+ for £950m so they've put all the best coverage behind a paywall and the BBC have been given the scraps and everything else has to be shown on delay.

The Olympics, like the FA Cup, were always supposed to be free to air but ya know, capitalism and all that.

How many subscriptions do they expect us to take out?

Rant end.

Yeah, watching bits on eurosporr as they have extra channels
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Jul 31, 2021 11:51:16 am
      I've watched quite a bit but it's been sh*t because they sold the European rights to Discovery+ for £950m so they've put all the best coverage behind a paywall and the BBC have been given the scraps and everything else has to be shown on delay.

The Olympics, like the FA Cup, were always supposed to be free to air but ya know, capitalism and all that.

Rant end.

Agree 100%

To be honest I've watched everything on catch up anyway so kind of forgot about the rights issue but agree it should be free to air.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Jul 31, 2021 01:05:20 pm

Rant end.

Yep, definitely enjoying it far less compared to the last two Olympics where you could watch any sport you wanted.

Don't think the BBC have helped themselves with the constant repeats and interviews though.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #4: Jul 31, 2021 01:13:28 pm
      Yep, definitely enjoying it far less compared to the last two Olympics where you could watch any sport you wanted.

Don't think the BBC have helped themselves with the constant repeats and interviews though.

BBC are given scraps and are only allowed one live event plus one red button - the time difference doesn’t help as well so there will be a lot of repeats of events that happened overnight
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2021 01:55:05 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #5: Jul 31, 2021 01:43:32 pm
      Gutted that Tokyo can't host it in the way they would have (would have been amazing with full crowds) but the venues look great and the action has been great. Loved staying up to watch the mixed relay triathlon yesterday.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Jul 31, 2021 02:10:02 pm
      BBC are given scraps and are only allowed one live event plus one red button - the time difference doesn’t help as well so there will be a lot of repeats of events that happened overnight

I know they've got their limitations on what they can show but even with that in mind I don't they've done a great job this year.

I was working from home the other morning and saw the same swimming final replayed 3 times in a 4 hour span which just seemed a bit ridiculous especially considering the main medal win highlights are on the website anyway. Similarly yesterday they had the 10,000m live on the red button whilst also having the same 10,000m race running on a 20 minute delay on BBC One.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #7: Jul 31, 2021 02:40:05 pm
      I know they've got their limitations on what they can show but even with that in mind I don't they've done a great job this year.

I was working from home the other morning and saw the same swimming final replayed 3 times in a 4 hour span which just seemed a bit ridiculous especially considering the main medal win highlights are on the website anyway. Similarly yesterday they had the 10,000m live on the red button whilst also having the same 10,000m race running on a 20 minute delay on BBC One.

At the very least it always reminds me of what a great broadcaster Hazel Irvine is. The very best in the business. Professional, enthusiastic and engaging (and the very antidote to the excruciating 'turn up the bantz' ignorant approach taken across most of BBC Sport's output. Only have to look at their football coverage to see what a cesspit that has become. )  Nice to see studio guests like Mark Foster and Lutalo Mohamed as well.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2021 02:45:42 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #8: Aug 01, 2021 03:04:12 am
      I've watched quite a bit but it's been sh*t because they sold the European rights to Discovery+ for £950m

What pisses me off the most about this isn't so much the inconvenience to the international audience, but the complete lack of consideration for athletes. For example, swimming finals take place in the morning, in order to be broadcast in prime time in the US. This is far from ideal, and makes it almost impossible to perform at your best. Overall performances have consequently been really underwhelming.

We've come to expect such "Money talks" attitude from FIFA, but it goes against everything the Olympics (used to) stand for.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Aug 01, 2021 05:03:09 am
      What pisses me off the most about this isn't so much the inconvenience to the international audience, but the complete lack of consideration for athletes. For example, swimming finals take place in the morning, in order to be broadcast in prime time in the US. This is far from ideal, and makes it almost impossible to perform at your best. Overall performances have consequently been really underwhelming.

We've come to expect such "Money talks" attitude from FIFA, but it goes against everything the Olympics (used to) stand for.

Hasn't swimming always been traditionally a morning event at the Olympics though?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #10: Aug 01, 2021 05:03:46 am
      I've been watching a lot actually. Swimming has been amazing the US and Aussie's have been just dominant. Peaty is an absolute beast. He just destroyed the breaststroke races.
      Curious why the British don't have any good wrestlers. Dont you have high school or Collegiate wrestling programs? Freestyle wrestling comes from Folk wrestling which started in England in the 1800s.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #11: Aug 01, 2021 06:15:23 am
      Hasn't swimming always been traditionally a morning event at the Olympics though?

No, finals are usually in the evening.

Finals in the morning means athletes have to wake up pretty early in the morning, to eat properly and do some warming up, stretching, etc.
      They don't usually do this in major competitions, so they have to completely readjust from their usual routine.

I've been watching a lot actually. Swimming has been amazing the US and Aussie's have been just dominant. Peaty is an absolute beast. He just destroyed the breaststroke races.

Some finals have been entertaining, but the times are far from the usual standards. Despite the few world records, most of the swimmers do not swim their best times. It's even more noticeable in the long distance races.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: Aug 01, 2021 09:55:08 am
      At the very least it always reminds me of what a great broadcaster Hazel Irvine is. The very best in the business. Professional, enthusiastic and engaging (and the very antidote to the excruciating 'turn up the bantz' ignorant approach taken across most of BBC Sport's output. Only have to look at their football coverage to see what a cesspit that has become. )  Nice to see studio guests like Mark Foster and Lutalo Mohamed as well.

Yep the people they've had on have been good. Lutalo was absolutely brilliant!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #13: Aug 01, 2021 01:58:18 pm
      Italian winner in the 100M!!

Fantastic stuff.

I do think it's very strict to be instantly disqualified for a false start, especially in a final.

Anyone know why that rule is so severe?
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #14: Aug 01, 2021 03:50:34 pm

Fantastic stuff.

I do think it's very strict to be instantly disqualified for a false start, especially in a final.

It's actually the same in swimming. A few years ago, you were allowed one false start which resulted in a warning for the entire field. A second false start would result in a DQ, even if you were not responsible for the first false start. The new rule was implemented because people used to jump the first start on purpose, to put additional pressure on the athletes with a better reaction time.

By the way, I don't know if the same rule applies in athletics but in swimming, judges are given some leeway to rescind a DQ under special circumstances. 5 years ago, a Spanish swimmer was allowed to compete after an initial DQ because judges concluded a noise in the crowd was responsible for his false start. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcuBUqZkMiw
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2021 04:04:02 pm by PTU »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Aug 01, 2021 05:40:28 pm

Fantastic stuff.

Because you don’t want to have a bunch of launches because people are trying to jump the gun.

Sprinters are a fickle bunch (I coach long distance stuff, XC and Track) and the amount of prep for them to get ready for a race and then the start are crucial.

It’s that way here in the states at the high school and collegiate level when you get to the post season races. One and done.

Really cool seeing the Italian teammates celebrating their gold medals so close to each other.

But I’m looking forward to longer distance events myself. Want to watch the brits, Hawkins and Chris Thompson in the marathon and want to see how Cole Hocker does in the 1500. Kid’s going to be a long distance star for the US one day.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #16: Aug 02, 2021 02:09:12 pm
      F**k me, anyone see that 21 year old female Chinese weightlifter?. Probably eats 3 men for breakfast
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #17: Aug 02, 2021 02:24:43 pm
      F**k me, anyone see that 21 year old female Chinese weightlifter?. Probably eats 3 men for breakfast

She seems nice...

In women's football, what a ridiculous pen awarded to Canada...

https://youtu.be/DWbPSqZDAe8?t=39

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #18: Aug 02, 2021 08:55:53 pm
      She seems nice...

In women's football, what a ridiculous pen awarded to Canada...

https://youtu.be/DWbPSqZDAe8?t=39

Yeah, was pretty poor. Men's semi finals tomorrow
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #19: Aug 05, 2021 11:20:32 am
      Great to see a gold in the velodrome for GB (finally).

Also, Michael Johnson really is the greatest sports pundit around. Effortless and so insightful.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #20: Aug 05, 2021 07:08:47 pm
      Also, Michael Johnson really is the greatest sports pundit around. Effortless and so insightful.

One of my favourite people in the world.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: Aug 06, 2021 02:07:11 am
      Looking forward to the Canada vs Sweden final in women football which was called off due to heat. Would be great send off for Sinclair who carried this team for many many years.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Aug 06, 2021 10:01:09 am
      Some performance from Kenny and Archibald there in the madison, utter domination!

Quick Reply