Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your Match Day Experience

Read 5030 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Your Match Day Experience
      Aug 08, 2021 01:26:05 pm
      While some on here are able to attend matches at Anfield (and away), many of us can never or almost never see the team in person.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought we could have a thread just for Reds to share their experience each time they are able to attend a game, the atmosphere, the trip there, things they noticed about the game.

Perhaps some of us are at the stadium now for this friendly. Anyway, That was my idea for the day. Hopefully some others. Would like to share their experience.

If not, we can berate each other nonstop over FSG and transfers. That's always a grand time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Your Match Day Experience
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2021 01:48:34 pm
      The boozer before the game
      Shouts of "Hat, Scarf or a Badge" on the walk upto the ground.
      The smell of weed in the kop (before the smoking ban)
      The old footie echo getting sold in the ground (when I was a kid in the old Anny Rd)
      The complete piss-taking of any adult sized human wearing a jester hat.
      Walking into the ground five mins before kick off because Carlsberg tastes like sh*te and decided to have another bevvy in the pub!!
      The massive change in atmosphere since Klopp walked in the door.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2021 09:32:18 pm
      The boozer before the game
      Shouts of "Hat, Scarf or a Badge" on the walk upto the ground.
      The smell of weed in the kop (before the smoking ban)
      The old footie echo getting sold in the ground (when I was a kid in the old Anny Rd)
      The complete piss-taking of any adult sized human wearing a jester hat.
      Walking into the ground five mins before kick off because Carlsberg tastes like sh*te and decided to have another bevvy in the pub!!
      The massive change in atmosphere since Klopp walked in the door.

Cheers. Did you go today and if so, what was it like?
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2021 10:51:57 pm
      Was amazing today.

My first game since Covid. Brought tears to my eyes. To just be around other reds. Watching the boys come out. Virgil back was a sight to see. Singing again. Raising my scarf.

I F***ing love this club
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: Aug 09, 2021 12:35:02 am
      Cheers. Did you go today and if so, what was it like?

Nope, I'll be honest I swerve friendlies these days. Burnley will be first game back.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #5: Aug 11, 2021 05:17:56 pm
      April 1st of 2017 I attended my first and to date, only game at Anfield.

My wife and I had both recently changed careers and with plans to start a family, we decided to go traveling while we could. At the end of a leisurely tour through Scotland, we arrived in Liverpool where I was able to celebrate a decade as a supporter by bringing my lady along to the derby(thanks for hooking up the tickets, you know who you are!).

What a win it was for us! Div, Phil and Sadio all scored for us, and from the kop we watched with glee. The noise, the songs, it's all making the hair stand up on the back of my neck as I write this.

First impressions of Anfield: turning the corner onto the Walton Breck road and seeing that great big hulking truss over the kop for the first time will never leave me. The guys waiting in line to buy beer at the gas station and pissing in plain sight. The chippies with their buxom ladies handing out pies. The pandemonium when we scored. Chants of "you haven't won on our ground since 1999". Also, watching Phil play in person was as arresting as it was beautiful; you just don't fully appreciate the way a player like him moves, changes direction and rasps a goal in from 20 yards when you've only seen them on tv.

I hope that all other reds get the chance I got, and that they can all see red Mecca at least once in their lives.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Aug 12, 2021 01:04:27 am
      While some on here are able to attend matches at Anfield (and away), many of us can never or almost never see the team in person.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought we could have a thread just for Reds to share their experience each time they are able to attend a game, the atmosphere, the trip there, things they noticed about the game.

Perhaps some of us are at the stadium now for this friendly. Anyway, That was my idea for the day. Hopefully some others. Would like to share their experience.

If not, we can berate each other nonstop over FSG and transfers. That's always a grand time.

Been a long time since I’ve been to the game, but back in the day from getting aboard a supporters bus at 9am with a few cans of ale for brekkie, to alighting the same coach slightly dishevelled let’s just say at around 7pm, and anything that happened in between are the memories I will take to my grave,

From getting off the bus outside the Albert, into the supporters shop, the old one if you remember, grabbing a programme or some memorabilia and then into the aforementioned Albert for a few liveners, having a laugh with Red mates, Playing tippit at a table three a side, losing cost you, chips, sausage & gravy from the chippie, visiting the Sandon, the Flat Iron, or the supporters club, or a walk round to the Salisbury to Learn from the natives, back to the Albert for one last hoorah before going through the turnstiles, more often the Kop, latterly the old paddock, the mad dash across Stanley park to I think Walton Breck Rd, after FT,  where we reconnected with the bus and that horrible drive back, most fell asleep, some fell asleep woke up and fell asleep again, some, mainly the smart arses took great joy in tying shoe laces together in mid slumber, f***in funny tho, especially when your stop was next, undoing knots in near darkness still pissed, and having cramp, or realising you have different shoes on, or odd ones,  discovering ‘w**ker’ written in lipstick on yer forehead, or waking up minus a eyebrow was common, jeez, I miss those day despite it being so long ago, away days were just as fun depending where you went, feeling absolute sh*te if we lost, wasn’t that often to be fair, and high as a kite(minus the weed) when we battered blueshite or the scumsters, I would love to re-live those times  but I’m guessing it’s all changed now, but wouldn’t mind finding out, so if any of you Red Brethren are feeling charitable I could very happily accept a donation of a match ticket or two, alright alright, you can stop laughing now !!

Y  N  W  A
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #7: Aug 12, 2021 04:33:57 am

Been a long time since I’ve been to the game, but back in the day from getting aboard a supporters bus at 9am with a few cans of ale for brekkie, to alighting the same coach slightly dishevelled let’s just say at around 7pm, and anything that happened in between are the memories I will take to my grave,

From getting off the bus outside the Albert, into the supporters shop, the old one if you remember, grabbing a programme or some memorabilia and then into the aforementioned Albert for a few liveners, having a laugh with Red mates, Playing tippit at a table three a side, losing cost you, chips, sausage & gravy from the chippie, visiting the Sandon, the Flat Iron, or the supporters club, or a walk round to the Salisbury to Learn from the natives, back to the Albert for one last hoorah before going through the turnstiles, more often the Kop, latterly the old paddock, the mad dash across Stanley park to I think Walton Breck Rd, after FT,  where we reconnected with the bus and that horrible drive back, most fell asleep, some fell asleep woke up and fell asleep again, some, mainly the smart arses took great joy in tying shoe laces together in mid slumber, f***in funny tho, especially when your stop was next, undoing knots in near darkness still pissed, and having cramp, or realising you have different shoes on, or odd ones,  discovering ‘w**ker’ written in lipstick on yer forehead, or waking up minus a eyebrow was common, jeez, I miss those day despite it being so long ago, away days were just as fun depending where you went, feeling absolute sh*te if we lost, wasn’t that often to be fair, and high as a kite(minus the weed) when we battered blueshite or the scumsters, I would love to re-live those times  but I’m guessing it’s all changed now, but wouldn’t mind finding out, so if any of you Red Brethren are feeling charitable I could very happily accept a donation of a match ticket or two, alright alright, you can stop laughing now !!

Y  N  W  A

Some memories those Billy!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #8: Aug 12, 2021 08:57:45 pm
      My match days were traveling up by car, 4 mates, or as many as 12 in tranny van, on a Friday night. Usually call in to the cider farm for a couple of barrels of scrumpy, and countless stops at pubs on the way.
      Arriving early hours snd kipping in the car/van in Anfield car park. Waking up bursting for a pee, all hung over, down to greasy joes on the east lancs road for a huge breky. Then mooch around town till opening time, and gently get into the groove, before venturing up to the Albert. Occasionally the Park. Having a great old sing song until heading for the turnstiles. Always on the Kop.
      Sooooo many stories i could tell, wonderful marvellous memories of fantastic atmosphere and laughs with lifelong mates. Then a wash snd brush up at the pier head for 2 1/2 p followed by a night on the town. Usually the She Club. Before making our way south on the Sunday morning. All part of my DNA now.
      So many fine details of those days still with me. Makes me feel special to have been a part of those great Liverpool days.
      Always made time to cruise around the areas I lived before moving south as a young lad.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Aug 13, 2021 12:27:42 am
      Travelling up from Plymouth in the car, dad driving,  all types of weather,  all days of the week. Getting up and home at many weird and wonderful times. The joys of motorway travel, service stations. Once cane up by train, and hung around in the arkles to 10 at night waiting for my dad to come and pick me as he had to work. Thousands of pounds, taking out bank loans to pay for it, wouldn't have changed anything for the world. So many great memories,  funny incidents,  breakdowns , toothache. First started coming up in the early 90's in a supporters coach, once got hit by a lorry and we missed the game. Switched mid 90's to car.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Aug 13, 2021 12:52:35 am
      Travelling up from Plymouth in the car, dad driving,  all types of weather,  all days of the week. Getting up and home at many weird and wonderful times. The joys of motorway travel, service stations. Once cane up by train, and hung around in the arkles to 10 at night waiting for my dad to come and pick me as he had to work. Thousands of pounds, taking out bank loans to pay for it, wouldn't have changed anything for the world. So many great memories,  funny incidents,  breakdowns , toothache. First started coming up in the early 90's in a supporters coach, once got hit by a lorry and we missed the game. Switched mid 90's to car.

Did you go to away games as well?

Did you ever go to Argyle matches?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Aug 13, 2021 04:33:33 pm
      Did you go to away games as well?

Did you ever go to Argyle matches?

Yeah, went to away matches, remember spurs away as a birthday treat. My mum was abusing Chris waddle all match despite us being sat with the spurs fans. Guy sat in front with crutches turned and said shut up or else.Mum just gave him an evil state and he shut up. As for argyke My dad often worked nights and weekends so my mum used to take us out there when I was really young. I went out with mates to watch it up until the end of the eighties when my dad came home and said someone in work organised trips to watch the reds. Haven't bee argyke for over 30 years except for my covid jabs
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #12: Aug 13, 2021 10:23:47 pm
      Started to go to games in the 70's, god how lucky was I, learning to drive and used to go to all the matches home and away, cost me a small fortune but I lived for it, was incredibly lucky to go to the first 5 European Cup finals as well, Rome 77 was something special as it was the first time, had many adventures, going on the special train from Lime Street to Paris with my Uncle driving the train  ;D lost my front tooth on the metro on the way back  :D

Been to Anfield literally thousands of times, met some fantastic people on my trips home and away and lots of fans off this site too.  I know it's a cliche but we are mostly one big RED family with a red beating heart to the core, wouldn't have had it any other way, being born a scouser, I'm glad my family were red and not blue  ;)

I've been lucky enough to see all the greats in their prime, from Emlyn, Keegan, Clemence, Hansen, Souey, Kenny, Stevie, Rushy to name but a few, I feel extremely privileged to be a scouser born and bred and to have always followed this wonderful great team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Aug 16, 2021 12:08:22 pm
      Started to go to games in the 70's, god how lucky was I, learning to drive and used to go to all the matches home and away, cost me a small fortune but I lived for it, was incredibly lucky to go to the first 5 European Cup finals as well, Rome 77 was something special as it was the first time, had many adventures, going on the special train from Lime Street to Paris with my Uncle driving the train  ;D lost my front tooth on the metro on the way back  :D

Been to Anfield literally thousands of times, met some fantastic people on my trips home and away and lots of fans off this site too.  I know it's a cliche but we are mostly one big RED family with a red beating heart to the core, wouldn't have had it any other way, being born a scouser, I'm glad my family were red and not blue  ;)

I've been lucky enough to see all the greats in their prime, from Emlyn, Keegan, Clemence, Hansen, Souey, Kenny, Stevie, Rushy to name but a few, I feel extremely privileged to be a scouser born and bred and to have always followed this wonderful great team.

Great post Cas.

So has the number of women in the crowd at football matches changed since you first began going to Anfield and elsewhere?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #14: Aug 16, 2021 04:48:48 pm
      Great post Cas.

So has the number of women in the crowd at football matches changed since you first began going to Anfield and elsewhere?

Absolutely it has Robby, back in the day, women at games was quite rare, I remember the facilities at Anfield back then were pretty dire too, girls now are much more frequent at games and it's great to see so many female fans at grounds home and away.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #15: Sep 03, 2021 08:48:49 pm
      Buzzing to be back again. The Bilbao match was my first game since March 2020. With it being a friendly and tickets being on general sale most reds I know ended up going, even those who don't really attend regularly. Was great to see a load of familiar faces, most I hadn't seen since the beginning of the pandemic. Must admit that particular game was just an excuse for a piss-up (Think we went for our half time pint at around the 35 minute mark!). Spent a good few hours after the game in the Halfway House doing Karaoke 😂

Burnley was my first proper competitive game back. That was great. Made a proper day of it. With it being a 12PM KO we started off with a 9AM brekky & pint in the Wetherspoons in town & then jumped a taxi the Flat Iron for about 10. Got in the ground about 11ish as was worried about the new NFC ticketing system and wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Was sat in the upper main stand and to be fair, the concourses in that stand are brilliant compared to the other 3. Really spacious and a great view from the top tier concourse which looks out onto 96 Avenue and the North of the city (spoilt slightly by Goodison Park a mile or so in the distance). Atmosphere wasn't as good as I'd have hoped but early kickoffs are infamous for being subdued. Felt as though people in the ground were probably a bit rusty having not attended in so long and still getting to grips with normality after the last year and half. Expect it to pick up as the season goes on.

Had to give my Chelsea ticket away as I was at a music festival and won't be able to attend Palace or Milan as I'll be on holiday. So currently in the middle of another sabbatical but thankfully this one won't be as long as the last. Should be back at Anfield for City in early October & I can't F***ing wait 

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Sep 03, 2021 11:07:41 pm
      Cant remember its been that long
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2021 12:23:35 pm
      Wasnt sure where this would best fit

Looking to see what people feel about the ole at the wheel chant becoming a bit of a regular now?

Great little number. But do we need to hear it v Atletico? Will we need to hear it v West ham? We have so many songs to sing about ourselves, plus we have 11 players to sing about rather then a manager of a rival club

Yes its great sticking the boot in but I find it a bit, well, man utd. They and others like chelsea sing about us all the time which Ive always found odd, pathetic, but yet slightly flattering. Are we going that route?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2021 03:15:57 pm

Looking to see what people feel about the ole at the wheel chant becoming a bit of a regular now?

Great little number. But do we need to hear it v Atletico? Will we need to hear it v West ham? We have so many songs to sing about ourselves, plus we have 11 players to sing about rather then a manager of a rival club

Yes its great sticking the boot in but I find it a bit, well, man utd. They and others like chelsea sing about us all the time which Ive always found odd, pathetic, but yet slightly flattering. Are we going that route?

Start a new topic! As you’ve started a few… ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2021 06:58:24 pm

Think it’s a bit sh*te myself.

We embarrassed them and had our fun. Time to move onto more important things.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2021 09:05:30 pm
      I dont go much these days but I still prefer the old days of the mid 70's and on. We would get to the ground as soon as possible when the gates opened. Couldnt afford a programme but would wait for the first glimpse of the players walking out fully clothed before going back and getting changed for the warm up. Watching the halftime scores going up along the Kemlyn road stand whilst trying to get a glimpse of a programme to work out what they all meant.
      Later on when alcohol became  "legal" would still try and get in about 40 mins before kick off. By the way did anyone actually buy and eat a pickled egg off the bar.
      First major event was the Uefa cup final at Anfield which if I remember was rained off and then played the following night with John Toshack now in the starting line up. I remember Everton player Sandy Brown scoring an own goal in the Derby and appearing later at the News agent I was a paper boy at imagine that now. as nostalgic and wonderful as those days were these are the days now and boy how wonderful they are its a proper team with an incredible presence on the pitch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: Nov 06, 2021 01:47:25 pm

Save it for Utd. Just like a few other chants, it sounds fun so the try hards at the backofthekop have to sing it every game like Maggies in the mud etc.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Nov 06, 2021 11:31:47 pm
      Buzzing to be back again. The Bilbao match was my first game since March 2020. With it being a friendly and tickets being on general sale most reds I know ended up going, even those who don't really attend regularly. Was great to see a load of familiar faces, most I hadn't seen since the beginning of the pandemic. Must admit that particular game was just an excuse for a piss-up (Think we went for our half time pint at around the 35 minute mark!). Spent a good few hours after the game in the Halfway House doing Karaoke 😂

Burnley was my first proper competitive game back. That was great. Made a proper day of it. With it being a 12PM KO we started off with a 9AM brekky & pint in the Wetherspoons in town & then jumped a taxi the Flat Iron for about 10. Got in the ground about 11ish as was worried about the new NFC ticketing system and wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Was sat in the upper main stand and to be fair, the concourses in that stand are brilliant compared to the other 3. Really spacious and a great view from the top tier concourse which looks out onto 96 Avenue and the North of the city (spoilt slightly by Goodison Park a mile or so in the distance). Atmosphere wasn't as good as I'd have hoped but early kickoffs are infamous for being subdued. Felt as though people in the ground were probably a bit rusty having not attended in so long and still getting to grips with normality after the last year and half. Expect it to pick up as the season goes on.

Had to give my Chelsea ticket away as I was at a music festival and won't be able to attend Palace or Milan as I'll be on holiday. So currently in the middle of another sabbatical but thankfully this one won't be as long as the last. Should be back at Anfield for City in early October & I can't f**king wait

So has the atmosphere gotten back up to speed since you posted this?

Anyone at the Atletico match have a story to share?

Quick Reply