Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 45018 times
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #92: Sep 04, 2021 10:45:06 pm
      Below is a like-for-like comparison of our 2019/20 squad compared to the current squad. The only changes are highlighted in bold, with Games Played (GP) in the Premier League included where relevant.

2019/20  ---- 2021/22

Alisson ------ Alisson
      Adrian ------- Adrian
      Kelleher ----- Kelleher
      Lonergan (0GP) - Karius

Van Dijk ---- Van Dijk
      Matip -------- Matip
      Gomez ------ Gomez
      Lovren (10GP) ------- Konate

Trent --------- Trent
      Clyne (0 GP) -- n/a
      Neco (6GP) ----------- Neco

Robertson ----- Robertson
      No backup LB -- Tsimikas

Fabinho -------- Fabinho
      Henderson ----- Henderson
      Wijnaldum ----- Thiago
      Keita ----------- Keita
      Ox -------------- Ox
      Milner ---------- Milner
      Jones (6 GP) --- Jones

Salah -------------- Salah
      Mane -------------- Mane
      Firmino ------------ Firmino

Shaqiri (7GP) ----- Jota
      Lallana (15GP) - Elliott

Origi (28 GP) ----- Origi
      Minamino (10GP) - Minamino
      Brewster (0 GP) --- Gordon

Lonergan to Karius is probably an upgrade but isn't significant whatsoever.

Lovren to Konate is more or less a sideways move or a slight upgrade. Lovren only started 9 PL games that year.

Clyne left but was out with a back injury and wasn't a factor at all.

Neco is 2 years older and more of a legit first team option now, so our backup RB is an upgrade.

Tsimikas is a huge upgrade over not having a proper backup LB (or shoe-horning Milner or 18 year old Neco at LB).

Wijnaldum to Thiago is arguably an upgrade, but Wijnaldum's reliability and availability was important, so let's say that this is a sideways move. Bear in mind that Thiago was a vital part of Bayern's CL-winning team.

Jones is 2 years older and is now a legitimate first team option. Upgrade.

In attack we've basically replaced Lallana (only 15GP / 3 starts) and Shaqiri (only 7GP/2 starts) - a combined 22 GP and 5 starts - with Jota and Elliott. Jota will also take over many of the 28GP/7 starts that Origi had in 2019/20. Overall that's an upgrade given Jota's quality.

Note that Lallana was on his last legs and often injured, only featuring 15 times with only 3 starts. Elliott already has 2 starts this season.

All-in-all, purely in terms of in's and out's the first team is better, at least on paper. Obviously fatigue and aging from our 30+ players is an important factor to consider, but I would argue that their aging is more than offset by the addition of Jota to take most of Origi's minutes, along with maturing of our younger players like Jones, Elliott, Gomez, Kelleher, Trent, etc.

Now, I'm not saying that the squad couldn't have been improved further, such as by upgrading on Origi, but overall the squad does look stronger than it was in 2019/20.

You might argue that Liverpool have more competition this season than in 2019/20 and thus needed more to compete, and although that might be true in terms of there being multiple contenders this time around, it's important to bear in mind that the 2019/20 team were up against a Man City team that had just posted 100 and 98 points in the two seasons prior. Point being that our current LFC team is stronger than the 2019/20 team in a direct like-for-like comparison, and should have just as good a chance of competing at the top that the 2019/20 team did.

Good and healthy post. What it hasn't taken in to account is form. Bobbys form has been bad for a year and a half but Mane's is dreadful. Once we take this in to account all of a sudden we've not strengthened
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2021 10:52:40 pm by Salah10 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #93: Sep 04, 2021 10:46:49 pm
      I love the Bayern Thiago. I don't think he's the same in this league. Last year it got to a point where he got dropped. Yes, last year was a freak year so the verdict will be out this year. With that said, as of right now the Liverpool Thiago isn't an upgrade.

Let's say for arguments sake Elliott is an upgrade.

Konate we have no idea and Jota definitely isn't when we take Mane and Bobby's dreadful form.

So are we really stronger? I have to say no. If anything we're weaker. Mane and Bobbys decline plays a major part in us being weaker. Imo this team can't win the league if their form continues the way it has been for over a year.

What league form is that?

The one where we are unbeaten in the last 13 league games, winning 10 of them?

That form?
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #94: Sep 04, 2021 10:52:21 pm
      What league form is that?

The one where we are unbeaten in the last 13 league games, winning 10 of them?

That form?

There's a long long way to go. I've seen enough football in my life to know what a league title requires. I won't argue. I hope to god I'm wrong and we win the league. If not then it's painful being right. Literally can't win. You can plod along thinking Mane and Bobbys form is fine or they'll play their way back in to form, I personally believe they won't and their elite time is done and should have been replaced this year.

I see you ignored my other points but whatever I cba
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #95: Sep 04, 2021 10:55:29 pm
      I love the Bayern Thiago. I don't think he's the same in this league. Last year it got to a point where he got dropped. Yes, last year was a freak year so the verdict will be out this year. With that said, as of right now the Liverpool Thiago isn't an upgrade.

Let's say for arguments sake Elliott is an upgrade.

Konate we have no idea and Jota definitely isn't when we take Mane and Bobby's dreadful form.

So are we really stronger? I have to say no. If anything we're weaker. Mane and Bobbys decline plays a major part in us being weaker. Imo this team can't win the league if their form continues the way it has been for over a year.

Form is temporary- class is permanent

Bobby finished the season well scoring some crucial goals

Mane has started the season well

When you compare squads you compare ability not relative form 🤦‍♂
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #96: Sep 04, 2021 10:58:53 pm
      There's a long long way to go. I've seen enough football in my life to know what a league title requires. I won't argue. I hope to god I'm wrong and we win the league. If not then it's painful being right. Literally can't win. You can plod along thinking Mane and Bobbys form is fine or they'll play their way back in to form, I personally believe they won't and their elite time is done and should have been replaced this year.

I see you ignored my other points but whatever I cba

Individual players form will ebb and flow and yes Mane and Firmino's form, Saido's in particular is a concern, but you cannot argue with the results.

Last 13 games we are literally in title winning form, extrapolates as more or less 97 points over a season.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #97: Sep 04, 2021 11:12:33 pm
      Good and healthy post. What it hasn't taken in to account is form. Bobbys form has been bad for a year and a half but Mane's is dreadful. Once we take this in to account all of a sudden we've not strengthened
      Mane has 5 goals in his last 10 league games.

Firmino has 4 goals and an assist in his last 7 league games.

That form seems absolutely fine. Yes they both had dips last year but the same could be said with the whole team, not just them two.

We've also added Jota to effectively replace Origi as the 4th choice forward in the team (Origi had 28 GP/7 starts). So even if you want to stick to the narrative of Mane/Firmino's form being an issue, the upgrade from Origi to Jota more than offsets that.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #98: Sep 04, 2021 11:18:15 pm
      Further to my post above, consider this:

When we won the title in in 2019/20 Firmino scored 9 goals and 8 assists.

Last year when Firmino had a perceived loss of form he had 9 goals and 7 assists.

Needless to say this years iteration of Firmino isn't some massive liability all of a sudden. We won the league with him producing basically the same amount as he did last year.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #99: Sep 04, 2021 11:42:47 pm
      Mané's goal involvement by year:

2020/21: 11 goals + 8 assists = 19
      2019/20: 18 goals + 9 assists = 27 
      2018/19: 22 goals + 2 assists = 24
      2017/18: 10 goals + 7 assists = 17

It is certainly a concern that his production dropped last season, but if you remove that spell between January and early March when the whole team was a shambles - and instead focus on current form, then his production is absolutely fine and is right in line with his production from his two best years.

Since March 15th when the team started winning again Mané has 5 goals and 4 assists for 9 goal involvements 13 PL games. In those 13 games he's played 1002 minutes with 9 goal involvements, for a rate of 111.3 minutes per goal involvement.

In 2019/20 Mane played 2755mins with 27 goal involvements, for a rate of 102 minutes per goal involvement.

Going back another year to 2018/19 when we won the CL, Mane's goal involvement was 128.5 minutes per goal involvement (3086mins/24).

To summarize: Minutes per goal involvement:
      Last 13GP: 111.3
      2019/20: 102 (season we hit 98 points)
      2018/19: 128.5 (season we hit 97 points)

Yes, Mane's production has decreased from the 2019/20 season, but only marginally. There's nothing wrong with his current form. His form right now is better than his form in the season we hit 97 points.

Now, if you ask me if I think we need to start thinking about replacing Mané as he ages into his 30's, I would agree with that. But the argument we're having here is whether Mane on current form is a significant downgrade from what he produced in our best season, and as the numbers above show there really isn't much of a downgrade - certainly not as much as Salah10 is suggesting.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #100: Sep 04, 2021 11:58:53 pm

It is certainly a concern that his production dropped last season, but if you remove that spell between January and early March when the whole team was a shambles - and instead focus on current form, then his production is absolutely fine and is right in line with his production from his two best years.

Since March 15th when the team started winning again Mané has 5 goals and 4 assists for 9 goal involvements 13 PL games. In those 13 games he's played 1002 minutes with 9 goal involvements, for a rate of 111.3 minutes per goal involvement.

In 2019/20 Mane played 2755mins with 27 goal involvements, for a rate of 102 minutes per goal involvement.

Going back another year to 2018/19 when we won the CL, Mane's goal involvement was 128.5 minutes per goal involvement (3086mins/24).

Yes, Mane's production has decreased from the 2019/20 season, but only marginally. There's nothing wrong with his current form. His form right now is better than his form in the season we hit 97 points.

Now, if you ask me if I think we need to start thinking about replacing Mané as he ages into his 30's, I would agree with that. But the argument we're having here is whether Mane on current form is a significant downgrade from what he produced in our best season, and as the numbers above show there really isn't much of a downgrade - certainly not as much as Salah10 is suggesting.

Do you have Bobby's stats for the 4 years also and not just the last two as with Mane ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #101: Sep 05, 2021 12:39:18 am

Unfortunately you can’t pick and choose what parts of the season are relevant for stat comparisons to previous years. Yes Jan-March was horrific but ultimately, that was a time we needed Mane to step up and unfortunately he didn’t. Salah was in the team too and his goal tally increased on the previous season despite that wretched spell for us.

It’s pointless analysing stats for the last 2 months of the season compared with the entirety of previous seasons just because that’s when we started winning again and when Mane decided to show up again. I really can’t see the point in doing that to be honest with you mate, the season up to that point doesn’t suddenly vanish and become irrelevant because we were crap for that timeframe.

If you are analysing stats for the last 13 games of last season then you have to be consistent and do the same to the previous years, not start comparing that to 30+ games instead because it’s a highly inaccurate and heavily skewed comparison.

Mane wasn’t good enough last season, simple as that. His return was significantly lower and his overall performances were well below par too.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #102: Sep 05, 2021 12:45:10 am
      Do you have Bobby's stats for the 4 years also and not just the last two as with Mane ?

Last 8GP: 4 goals + 2 assists = 6 involvements in 442 mins for 73.7 mins per goal involvement.
      2020/21: 9 goals + 7 assists = 16 involvements in 2852 mins for 178.3 mins per goal involvement.
      2019/20: 9 goals + 8 assists = 17 involvements in 3004 mins for 176.7 mins per goal involvement.
      2018/19: 12 goals + 7 assists = 19 involvements in 2620 mins for 137.9 mins per goal involvement.
      2017/18: 15 goals + 7 assists = 22 involvements in 2778 mins for 126.3 mins per goal involvement.
      2016/17: 11 goals + 10 assists = 21 involvements in 3068 mins for 146.1 mins per goal involvement.
      2015/16: 10 goals + 8 assists = 18 involvements in 1983 mins for 110.2 mins per goal involvement.

Firmino in his last 8 games is in the form of his life  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

That said, 8 games is a very small sample size admittedly, and it's also across two seasons so it's not super reliable.

It is absolutely concerning that his production levels have dropped from his first four years under Klopp where he was consistently having a goal involvement every 110-140 minutes, as compared to the last two years when he's had a goal involvement roughly every 177 minutes.

It's pretty clear looking at these numbers why he's the one who's getting dropped more frequently for Jota. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, even though Firmino has taken a step back in terms of production, upgrading our 4th striker from Origi to Jota more than offsets the drop in production by Firmino (and Mané).

For the record Jota produced 9 goals in 1112 mins last year for a goal involvement every 123.6 minutes.

Effectively Jota has replaced Firmino as the 3rd forward option (i.e. Jota's goal involvement every 123.6mins has replaced what Firmino was producing), and Firmino has replaced Origi as the 4th choice forward - an obvious upgrade.

It's worth noting that this team won the league with 98 points even when Firmino's goal involvement rose to ~177mins/involvement, so it's not as if the team can't be successful even if he continues playing as he has done the last 2 years.

Anyways, to go back to the point of this conversation, this team is absolutely better overall (at least on paper) than the 2019/20 team, as the additions of Thiago, Jota, Konate, etc and improvements from Jones, Elliott, etc more than offset the losses of Wijnaldum or any perceived loss of form by Firmino or Mane.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #103: Sep 05, 2021 12:47:44 am
      Unfortunately you can’t pick and choose what parts of the season are relevant for stat comparisons to previous years. Yes Jan-March was horrific but ultimately, that was a time we needed Mane to step up and unfortunately he didn’t. Salah was in the team too and his goal tally increased on the previous season despite that wretched spell for us.

Don’t conveniently leave out that the reason Salah’s total goals increased from previous season is because he started taking all the penalty kicks, of which he had 6. His scoring from open play was also down from the previous year.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #104: Sep 05, 2021 12:51:31 am
      Don’t conveniently leave out that the reason Salah’s total goals increased from previous season is because he started taking all the penalty kicks, of which he had 6. His scoring from open play was also down from the previous year.

So a guy leaves out over half a season on his comparison and you are jumping on my post about penalties
 Makes sense

I’m not leaving anything out. Fact is his goal tally was up, regardless of whether there were more penalties or not. If you are going to try and start twisting things like that then do we just pretend the penalty goals didn’t happen? Take away them penalty goals and forget they happened? Alter the scoreline of them games to have a result that doesn’t include penalty goals? Of course not.

A penalty isn’t a guaranteed goal you know, there’s still plenty to do to make sure it results in a goal. In fact, the last penalty Mane took for us, he missed.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #105: Sep 05, 2021 12:55:52 am
      I’m not leaving anything out. Fact is his goal tally was up, regardless of whether there were more penalties or not. If you are going to try and start twisting things like that then do we just pretend the penalty goals didn’t happen? Take away them penalty goals and forget they happened?

A penalty isn’t a guaranteed goal you know, there’s still plenty to do to make sure it results in a goal.

If you’re going to compare one year vs another then do it on a like-for-like basis. Highlighting his goals went up vs prior season without acknowledging such a big factor is misleading. His on field play suffered just like everyone’s did.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #106: Sep 05, 2021 12:58:42 am
      If you’re going to compare one year vs another then do it on a like-for-like basis. Highlighting his goals went up vs prior season without acknowledging such a big factor is misleading. His on field play suffered just like everyone’s did.

I’m not the one doing the comparisons though am I?!
      So again, why are you jumping on my post, saying to do a comparison fairly, taking into account all factors but yet completely ignoring the fact someone else missed out over half a season?

Again, I didn’t say his form on the pitch didn’t suffer did I?! I said his goal tally was up
which it was. If you want to take away the goals he scored from the spot then crack on, I don’t care, it doesn’t change the fact that his goal tally increased in the previous year.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #107: Sep 05, 2021 12:59:26 am

It’s pointless analysing stats for the last 2 months of the season compared with the entirety of previous seasons just because that’s when we started winning again and when Mane decided to show up again. I really can’t see the point in doing that to be honest with you mate, the season up to that point doesn’t suddenly vanish and become irrelevant because we were crap for that timeframe.

If you are analysing stats for the last 13 games of last season then you have to be consistent and do the same to the previous years, not start comparing that to 30+ games instead because it’s a highly inaccurate and heavily skewed comparison.

Mane wasn’t good enough last season, simple as that. His return was significantly lower and his overall performances were well below par too.
      I used the last 10-13 games as a sample since Salah10 was emphasizing "current form", and I think most would agree that a 10-13 game sample size is enough to be considered "current form".

What Mane did or didn't do 9 months ago in January-February is also pretty irrelevant in a sport where "what have you done for me lately" matters.

That said, you're right that it's a bit disingenuous to just discard a period of time last season, however I do think there are mitigating circumstances for Mane in that it the team weren't playing AT ALL like they wanted to be playing. A HUGE part of that is the fact that Fabinho wasn't playing in DM, and unsurprisingly results started turning just a week after Fabinho moved back to DM (see his list of games here: https://www.transfermarkt.com/fabinho/leistungsdaten/spieler/225693/plus/0?saison=2020).

Without a proper holding midfielder (Henderson was also playing CB with Fabinho) the teams form suffered massively, and as a result our forwards had a harder time scoring or generating chances. Thiago even mentioned at the end of the season that the team hadn't been able to play like they wanted.

Whatever the case I think we can both agree that the club need to start looking at replacing Mane in the next 1-2 years, because his aging is eventually going to be inevitable. I just don't think that his dropoff THIS SEASON is dramatic enough to claim that it's going to drag the entire team down and make it worse than it was in 2019/20 in spite of adding Jota/Thiago/etc. This team is objectively better (on paper) than the one that won the league, but of course only time will tell.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #108: Sep 05, 2021 01:02:08 am
      So a guy leaves out over half a season on his comparison and you are jumping on my post about penalties
 Makes sense

I’m not leaving anything out. Fact is his goal tally was up, regardless of whether there were more penalties or not. If you are going to try and start twisting things like that then do we just pretend the penalty goals didn’t happen? Take away them penalty goals and forget they happened? Alter the scoreline of them games to have a result that doesn’t include penalty goals? Of course not.

A penalty isn’t a guaranteed goal you know, there’s still plenty to do to make sure it results in a goal. In fact, the last penalty Mane took for us, he missed.
      Non-penalty goals are a much better predictor of future goal output than just counting goal totals. Do you disagree with that statement?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #109: Sep 05, 2021 01:02:09 am
      So again, why are you jumping on my post, saying to do a comparison fairly, taking into account all factors but yet completely ignoring the fact someone else missed out over half a season?

Again, I didn’t say his form on the pitch didn’t suffer did I?! I said his goal tally was up
which it was.

Um, when you say “Salah was on the team too and his goal tally increased on his previous season” you are comparing the two.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #110: Sep 05, 2021 01:05:01 am
      Um, when you say “Salah was on the team too and his goal tally increased on his previous season” you are comparing the two.

How is it a comparison? It’s literally stating a fact that his goal tally increased. Why are you not able to comprehend this?

I’m struggling to see why you have this apparent issue and a lack of understanding. It’s not difficult, yet you are still unable to say why you are jumping on my post but not the post missing half a season.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #111: Sep 05, 2021 01:07:19 am

which it was. If you want to take away the goals he scored from the spot then crack on, I don’t care, it doesn’t change the fact that his goal tally increased in the previous year.
      I didn't just "miss out" half a season. I simply took the last 10 games which is a good indicator of form regardless of whether it was when the winning run started or not. It's not like I cherry picked by collating stats from October-December PLUS March-now. No, I simply took the last handful of games, which is a pretty decent indicator of the likelihood of Mane scoring again in the next game.

If I had taken his numbers from October-December and added them to March-now while conveniently omitting Jan-Feb then yes you would have a point. But that's not what I did.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #112: Sep 05, 2021 01:13:50 am
      Non-penalty goals are a much better predictor of future goal output than just counting goal totals. Do you disagree with that statement?

Don’t you start too unless you are trying to form some sort of dumb and dumber double act. I’m not disagreeing with anything. It’s a simple fact that his goal tally increased regardless of the fact there are more penalties.
      Jesus Christ.

I didn't just "miss out" half a season. I simply took the last 10 games which is a good indicator of form regardless of whether it was when the winning run started or not. It's not like I cherry picked by collating stats from October-December PLUS March-now. No, I simply took the last handful of games, which is a pretty decent indicator of the likelihood of Mane scoring again in the next game.

If I had taken his numbers from October-December and added them to March-now while conveniently omitting Jan-Feb then yes you would have a point. But that's not what I did.

You’ve already explained yourself once, why are you doing it again? I got it on the first explanation of your post.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #113: Sep 05, 2021 01:17:14 am
      Don’t you start too unless you are trying to form some sort of dumb and dumber double act. I’m not disagreeing with anything. It’s a simple fact that his goal tally increased regardless of the fact there are more penalties.
      Jesus Christ.

You’ve already explained yourself once, why are you doing it again? I got it on the first explanation of your post.
      Well this conversation has been an absolute pleasure. Good night  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #114: Sep 05, 2021 10:18:55 am
      Salah and mane bad form last year as some say was down to the fekin team being bad due to the injuries to the Centre backs, then best Midfielders playing at the back, then the team in general playing much deeper so making it even harder for the forwards as they ended up deeper, it all snowballed rom there into just sh1te fitbaw. It happens sometimes to the best of them.

the last 10 games of the season was much better when we had a settled back 4 and the MF was actually pushing up to support the forwards.

So I have zero worries about the forwards this season, when we have our strongest defence and MF playing.

Even if we nick loads of games 1 nil, ill take it.

points make prizes. ;D

Quick Reply