Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Sun 23rd Jan @ 2:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 22nd of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W9 D4 L9

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 17741 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,430 posts | 5086 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #425: Dec 12, 2021 06:34:10 pm
      I remember the outrage in the Derby a few seasons ago with Jürgen's team selection and then without Mo and Bobby we beat Barca 4-0 if Jürgen is happy then so be it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,688 posts | 1486 
      Reply #426: Dec 12, 2021 06:45:30 pm
      What’s the issue now 🤷‍♂️

They will miss 2 league games. - Palace and Brentford plus the FA Cup and League Cup games - I’m sure Jota , Bobby , Taki and Origi will see us through fine
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,909 posts | 2235 
      Reply #427: Dec 12, 2021 08:32:32 pm
      What’s the issue now 🤷‍♂️

They will miss 2 league games. - Palace and Brentford plus the FA Cup and League Cup games - I’m sure Jota , Bobby , Taki and Origi will see us through fine

I think it will be a big loss for us. Will be a big challenge to maintain good results while they are gone
      BUT.... You can't make a major purchase for the sake of 2-4 games. It's a major.flaw in the calendar for this event to be in the middle of the season. You just have to muddle through, and that's what Jürgen and the team will do.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,688 posts | 1486 
      Reply #428: Dec 12, 2021 08:34:31 pm
      I think it will be a big loss for us. Will be a big challenge to maintain good results while they are gone
      BUT.... You can't make a major purchase for the sake of 2-4 games. It's a major.flaw in the calendar for this event to be in the middle of the season. You just have to muddle through, and that's what Jürgen and the team will do.

No doubt at all its going to be a big loss without them but Klopp and Co knew it was coming and will be prepared for it - as you say it’s a joke thah a major tournament happens mid season of the major football season

Chelsea will be hit big as well losing Mendy
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 3461 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #429: Dec 13, 2021 04:29:09 am
      Hence my f**king worry. Always something with you lot. It's simple f**king maths. The best player in the world and our second best winger are leaving for a competition and the replacements are not filling me with confidence.

I said I'll have faith. You're still talking sh*t. Just let it go.

I don't think you get it fella, I don't mean us losing two players to Afcon,  I'm talking LFC and we fans in general,  Look at how you address us, saying things like 'You lot', when your trying to get your inane drivel across, trying to convince the majority that your opinion is the only one that matters, our resident Manc Keith Singleton is the only other poster who says it, but we understand that for obvious reasons, and being disrespectful to fans who are more knowledgeable than you or I, there are no superfans mate just more that will be more knowledgeable and more experienced,

I really don't get it with you, it seems that almost every subject or topic raised you always have some issues that go against the general flow, almost like your goading for a arguement,  some would call it being a Wum,

In this case the general consensus is that we will cope just fine yet you still come over all houlier than anyone else and believes we will struggle and your still calling us 'You Lot' ,and your talking sh*t, to me that is saying your apart from us and not amongst us as a genuine fan of this club,  it's why Keith gets away with it,  because he isn't part of us, however he does respect us something perhaps you need to learn going forward.  Amen !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,993 posts | 680 
      • All Good and That Stuff :-)
      Reply #430: Dec 13, 2021 08:59:22 am
      Hence my f**king worry. Always something with you lot. It's simple f**king maths. The best player in the world and our second best winger are leaving for a competition and the replacements are not filling me with confidence.

I said I'll have faith. You're still talking sh*t. Just let it go.

mate. Ive said this many times, stop worrying about football, life is chucking enough hard things at us just now to worry about.

Football is for enjoying, look at the positives. The world wont end even if we drop a few points when salah and mane are gone for a few weeks. We still have bloody brilliant squad and the best manager in the world to find solutions.

At the very worst we may draw a league game during afcon. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,993 posts | 680 
      Reply #431: Dec 13, 2021 09:02:28 am

No doubt at all its going to be a big loss without them but Klopp and Co knew it was coming and will be prepared for it - as you say it’s a joke thah a major tournament happens mid season of the major football season

Chelsea will be hit big as well losing Mendy

thats my gripe with afcon, fact that no leagues stop to accommodate it. Though some leagues are generally stopped for a winter break in january. so suppose that makes a bit of sense, but then thats not fair on afcon players as they dont get a break.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,993 posts | 680 
      Reply #432: Dec 13, 2021 09:05:45 am
      I remember the outrage in the Derby a few seasons ago with Jürgen's team selection and then without Mo and Bobby we beat Barca 4-0 if Jürgen is happy then so be it

Salah is a big loss. but like I said to billy I'm looking forward to see how jurgen and the players deal with it.

Change formation a bit, or just change players. All very interesting.

We will still be solid as fuk, so really need to keep it tight and im sure the rest of the squad are good enough to score 1 or 2 goals a game.

Bobby will be back fully fit and firing, Jota the same and origi & taki will be buzzing to get more games.

Young elliott will be back in january as well, to add something different.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,437 posts | 656 
      Reply #433: Dec 13, 2021 01:51:16 pm
      Quote from Salah10
      We're in for sh*t street when Afcon kicks in, you lot can put it however you want if it helps you get to bed.

Salah, Mane and Keita is too big of a loss to our starting 11. Fair enough Keita isn't a starter, and spends most of his time on the doctors bed, but Salah and Mane is HUGE!

Imo this is where we lose pace. I hope we don't but there's no easy games in this league and our midfielders don't score so the onus will be on Jota, Bobby, Origi, Taki and Ox.

Jota is a given. Bobby isn't a goal scorer. Origi is very hit and miss, didn't start yesterday and Klopp decided to play an out of position Ox. Taki is a bit part player for our team and Ox is definitely not a forward.

I'm dreading it but YNWA so we back whatever team Klopp puts out.

And that rant brings nothing new to the table.

There's nothing we can do about it now, but we're not the only club affected. We've scored 45 league goals already, so surely someone else can step up and be counted when the time comes.

You can get out of bed again when the Afcon is over.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,909 posts | 2235 
      Reply #434: Dec 14, 2021 08:47:27 pm
      Curtis Jones back in full training today. He has missed nine games with an eye injury. Not sure if he is in contention for the squad Thursday
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2021 03:16:23 am by Robby The Z »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,853 posts | 1015 
      Reply #435: Dec 14, 2021 08:48:49 pm
      Curtis Jones back in full training today. He has missed none games with an eye injury. Not sure if he is in contention for the squad Thursday

Carabao cup qtr final good for some game time
      rossyred

• 5,853 posts | 1015 
      Reply #436: Dec 24, 2021 01:08:59 pm
      Great to see Fab, Jones and VVD back in training today
      JackRed97
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #437: Dec 24, 2021 08:01:44 pm
      Didn't see Gomez, Milly or Naby in the photo though?
      Covid?
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 29,188 posts | 3577 
      Reply #438: Jan 02, 2022 10:56:20 pm
      A point that I think get overlooked when people talk about lack of investment and not upgrading while we are successful is that to really do that some players inevitably would have had to move on.

We only have so many spaces to register and also how many of the players who have given us the success over the last number of years would the settle into a squad role?

To really keep the squad happy, as is Jurgens way, to really upgrade and freshen we would have had to sell one or two of the players how have led us to our first league title in thirty years and number 6.

How many would have been happy if that happened?
      RedWilly

• 8,607 posts | 1298 
      Reply #439: Jan 02, 2022 11:02:20 pm
      A point that I think get overlooked when people talk about lack of investment and not upgrading while we are successful is that to really do that some players inevitably would have had to move on.

We only have so many spaces to register and also how many of the players who have given us the success over the last number of years would the settle into a squad role?

To really keep the squad happy, as is Jurgens way, to really upgrade and freshen we would have had to sell one or two of the players how have led us to our first league title in thirty years and number 6.

How many would have been happy if that happened?

Ox, Keita, Milner and one of Origi or Taki could all be moved on for me if it meant us brining in one top quality player who can goes straight into the starting XI.

Milner I’d maybe consider keeping as a squad player but I don’t see what he offers be it in midfield or at full back any more - basically use for cup games and as a rotation option.

Ox absolutely needs to go, never recovered from that knee injury unfortunately but we can’t be sentimental.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 29,188 posts | 3577 
      Reply #440: Jan 02, 2022 11:10:18 pm
      Ox, Keita, Milner and one of Origi or Taki could all be moved on for me if it meant us brining in one top quality player who can goes straight into the starting XI.

Milner I’d maybe consider keeping as a squad player but I don’t see what he offers be it in midfield or at full back any more - basically use for cup games and as a rotation option.

Ox absolutely needs to go, never recovered from that knee injury unfortunately but we can’t be sentimental.

I don't disagree with a lot of this mate but it's not a simple as that.

If you leave Naby to one side, as I thing Jürgen definitely wanted at least to see another season of him, was there any interest in the other players to be able to move them on?

RedWilly

• 8,607 posts | 1298 
      Reply #441: Jan 02, 2022 11:19:10 pm
      I don't disagree with a lot of this mate but it's not a simple as that.

If you leave Naby to one side, as I thing Jürgen definitely wanted at least to see another season of him, was there any interest in the other players to be able to move them on?

Honestly mate, not sure I guess the only thing as fans were can judge on is speculation in the press and there was none around those lads.

Obviously I’m playing football manager here and know it isn’t as easy as whacking them on a transfer list and someone comes in but perfect world that is what I would be looking to do.
      CT_LFC

• 5,042 posts | 1038 
      Reply #442: Jan 03, 2022 11:05:23 pm

Depending on where that new starting player plays it would have to be a starting player leaving to make room. If, for example, you bring in someone to start at LW, Mane isn't going to simply be ok being 4th option now and Jota (or Bobby) certainly wouldn't be ok, nor would he deserve, to suddenly be moved down to Origi's spot as the 5th forward getting cup games and crumbs during the league.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 29,188 posts | 3577 
      Reply #443: Jan 03, 2022 11:09:07 pm
      Depending on where that new starting player plays it would have to be a starting player leaving to make room. If, for example, you bring in someone to start at LW, Mane isn't going to simply be ok being 4th option now and Jota (or Bobby) certainly wouldn't be ok, nor would he deserve, to suddenly be moved down to Origi's spot as the 5th forward getting cup games and crumbs during the league.

This is the point I was making a bit of a fist of making. :D

Cheers.
      GERNS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,974 posts | 991 
      Reply #444: Jan 04, 2022 12:15:17 am

So if you’re happy with your starting 11 then you need to buy quality and move on the subs you think aren’t up to standard.
      Doesn’t matter what involvement they had in previous victories, move them on.

As Sir Bob said when he was asked about moving decent players on, “ You only see them once a week. I see them every day. If a players legs are going, make sure they go in someone else’s team”

No sentiment if you want consistent trophies !
      Salah10
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts | 140 
      Reply #445: Jan 04, 2022 04:32:14 am

And so is the way of football teams.

If Mane doesn't like it Mane can up his levels to stay in the team. If Mane really doesn't like it Mane can go. This is Liverpool Football Club not players football club. We play the players that will win us trophies not players that previously won us trophies.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 466 posts | 209 
      Reply #446: Jan 04, 2022 07:28:29 am

Which is absolutely fine, but it’s doesn’t mean you stand still

You either bring one in for competition, if Mane (in this example isn’t happy then he can move one)
      Or you make that decision for him and replace him with two

Let him get old on someone else’s pitch

If we stand still and be sentimental then you will go backwards because your main rivals won’t stand still and do great with top quality sat on the bench or rotating

Problem we have with this model is you have to sell someone in their prime to replace them, we won’t spend money ourselves so there is no alternative
      If you don’t all the players age and have no resale value and then it’s hello square one again
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2022 07:37:56 am by Redman7804 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,909 posts | 2235 
      Reply #447: Jan 04, 2022 09:01:46 am
      Which is absolutely fine, but it’s doesn’t mean you stand still

You either bring one in for competition, if Mane (in this example isn’t happy then he can move one)
      Or you make that decision for him and replace him with two

Let him get old on someone else’s pitch

If we stand still and be sentimental then you will go backwards because your main rivals won’t stand still and do great with top quality sat on the bench or rotating

Problem we have with this model is you have to sell someone in their prime to replace them, we won’t spend money ourselves so there is no alternative
      If you don’t all the players age and have no resale value and then it’s hello square one again

Ok, but at the same time the club management will be criticized for not extending every player whose contract comes within two years of expiring. (Not talking about Salah here). This idea of selling on the players when they are getting older doesn't resonate nearly as well with the modern footballer. The kind of chemistry our manager has built in the team doesn't come from treating them like pieces of furniture. It's a delicate balance and complicated.

srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 29,188 posts | 3577 
      Reply #448: Jan 04, 2022 09:59:02 am
      And so is the way of football teams.

If Mane doesn't like it Mane can up his levels to stay in the team. If Mane really doesn't like it Mane can go. This is Liverpool Football Club not players football club. We play the players that will win us trophies not players that previously won us trophies.

I'll pick up on this as I raised the point originally.

I've no issue with your Mane example but I can guarantee if we bought a big name forward and Mane was sold because he couldn't or didn't want to up his level and ended up on the bench some of you lot would be screaming about sell to buy again.

Redman7804
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 466 posts | 209 
      Reply #449: Jan 04, 2022 10:00:31 am
      Ok, but at the same time the club management will be criticized for not extending every player whose contract comes within two years of expiring. (Not talking about Salah here). This idea of selling on the players when they are getting older doesn't resonate nearly as well with the modern footballer. The kind of chemistry our manager has built in the team doesn't come from treating them like pieces of furniture. It's a delicate balance and complicated.

It’s not how I’d like it done but I’m afraid with this model it’s the way you have to be or they all age and you have no value to reinvest

Quick Reply