Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44980 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #23: Aug 12, 2021 12:46:04 pm
      Actually one factor Ive overlooked

African cup of nations in January. Well be without Mo Sadio and Keita for that period. So yes we neef to get at leadt one forward in of a high standard

They miss two league games - Brentford and Palace
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #24: Aug 12, 2021 12:57:08 pm
      Actually one factor Ive overlooked

African cup of nations in January. Well be without Mo Sadio and Keita for that period. So yes we neef to get at leadt one forward in of a high standard

Two games I believe is all they’d miss.

I don’t if that alone is reason enough to add someone. Although I do think we should add an attacking player regardless.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Aug 12, 2021 01:16:29 pm
      Between January 9 and Feb 6 we play 2 games?
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #26: Aug 12, 2021 01:17:45 pm

They will also miss cup games (hopefully) and will need some rest afterwards. But we should be able to manage with what we have.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #27: Aug 12, 2021 01:30:08 pm
      Between January 9 and Feb 6 we play 2 games?

Two league games - might be a couple of FA Cup games as well
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #28: Aug 12, 2021 01:37:29 pm

That’s better than I thought. We’ve plenty of cover for midfield, just a bit worried about Mo & Sadio.
      Travelling and possible injuries could extend them two fixtures. Hope not, but what if !
      We have mini to slot in, but who else ?
      Please don’t say Origi !
      So perhaps we might need some cover up top !
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #29: Aug 12, 2021 01:55:44 pm
      That’s better than I thought. We’ve plenty of cover for midfield, just a bit worried about Mo & Sadio.
      Travelling and possible injuries could extend them two fixtures. Hope not, but what if !
      We have mini to slot in, but who else ?
      Please don’t say Origi !
      So perhaps we might need some cover up top !

Jota will also be there for cover and they can adjust tactics a little to bring in another mid

But I suspect once Shaqiri goes we may see an arrival
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Aug 12, 2021 02:10:46 pm

Not so bad
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #31: Aug 12, 2021 02:14:31 pm

Get to the final they will miss Leicester game
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #32: Aug 12, 2021 02:25:41 pm
      Get to the final they will miss Leicester game

Final on the 5/6th - Leicester on the 9th , could easily play in both if needed
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #33: Aug 12, 2021 05:18:17 pm
      With backline health no longer an issue (knock on wood), we will finally get to see Thiago in the role he was brought in for, that of a playmaking assist man from the midfield position....a nonexistent role on this squad the past few years.

The RB and LB bill delivery system was remarkable in '19 but the league definitely made adjustments against Trent last season and the LFC offense disappeared completely for long stretches because of it.....and of course the CB injuries never allowed Klopp to put his pieces together as originally designed.

I fully expect Thiago to move significantly forward this year and be a catalyst for the offense which will hopefully free up Bobby to produce more like a typical CF. The lack of production from his position has been a glaring problem with this offense
      We saw a hint of what Thiago can bring to the offense in the last month of '20 when the CB positions stabilized and Fabinho returned to midfield. It should get even better.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Aug 12, 2021 07:15:39 pm
      OK, devils advocate here..

CM Fabinho
      CM Henderson
      CM Thiago
      CM Milner
      CM Keita
      CM Jones
      CM Chamberlain
      CM Woodburn
      CM Clarkson

Clarkson/Woodburn - won't figure
      Chamberlain/Keita - sicknotes
      Milner - getting on but can still do a good job
      Jones - not sure Jürgen trusts him yet in tight games/defensively
      Hendo - seems to have been having more trouble with injuries recently
      Thiago/Fab - going to put these in the reliable category

For big games eg Citeh/Chavs/Manure etc. say we start Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago
      Say 2 of those 3 are injured, which is not far fetched at all.
      Could be looking at a starting middle of Milly/Jones/Thiago, something like that, with very little in way of replacements/subs to come in.

Jürgen won't rock the boat majorly in public but would think he has to be looking at that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Aug 12, 2021 08:25:07 pm
      OK, devils advocate here..

CM Fabinho
      CM Henderson
      CM Thiago
      CM Milner
      CM Keita
      CM Jones
      CM Chamberlain
      CM Woodburn
      CM Clarkson

Clarkson/Woodburn - won't figure
      Chamberlain/Keita - sicknotes
      Milner - getting on but can still do a good job
      Jones - not sure Jürgen trusts him yet in tight games/defensively
      Hendo - seems to have been having more trouble with injuries recently
      Thiago/Fab - going to put these in the reliable category

For big games eg Citeh/Chavs/Manure etc. say we start Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago
      Say 2 of those 3 are injured, which is not far fetched at all.
      Could be looking at a starting middle of Milly/Jones/Thiago, something like that, with very little in way of replacements/subs to come in.

Jürgen won't rock the boat majorly in public but would think he has to be looking at that.

Thiago has had an injury problem since before he came here.
      It's nothing major, just something he feels (it's his arse, reading between the lines), so I'd expect him to be rotated in and out of the side.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #36: Aug 12, 2021 09:56:01 pm
      On paper I think the squad looks good but we're going to need a couple of major things to go our way to fight for the title and CL.

First the injuries need to dry up. We're carrying 6-7 players in that squad that are almost certainly going to get injured this season, add a few more of the normally fit lads into that list and we will really struggle. Midfield would be an example for me, we've got the numbers but Ox, Keita and Henderson will all spend some time on the sideline and Fab too has an injury in him every season. It's why I wouldn't have minded one of Ox or Keita leaving and getting someone in there who can properly cover the games Gini played. Still time to do something there though. Defence is a bit of a toss up as well - we've got no idea how VVD and Gomez are going to come back from pretty much the worst injuries a footballer could get. That along with the injury prone Matip means I'd be wanting us to hold onto Nat until at least January to see how VVD and Gomez settle back in.

Other aspect would be the form of Mane and Firmino. We simply have to have them back on top form to have a chance. Our three biggest rivals have gone out and all bought an 80m+ player up there whilst it looks like we won't be signing that calibre of player. If the two find their form I think we will be okay but if they don't I don't see us scoring enough to challenge.

Either way, it's that time of the year to start getting excited. Bring it on!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Aug 13, 2021 01:08:48 am
      Paul Tomkins had a good free article today where he suggested that we have something like 15 new signings this season because of how much time a number of players missed last year due to CoVid, injuries and other circumstances. I won't recount it here but recommend you take a look. The point being that we should be a much stronger team this season, with the benefit of not having to integrate a bunch of new faces this season.

One of the 15:  Dr Andreas Schlumberger.

Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #38: Aug 13, 2021 10:22:59 am
      Mirror Saying Virgil just signed another contract terms to follow

https://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-fc
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #39: Aug 13, 2021 10:24:18 am
      Mirror Saying Virgil just signed another contract terms to follow

He has til 2025 🎉
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #40: Aug 13, 2021 10:26:23 am

Great news only Hendo and a few others to go
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Aug 13, 2021 11:14:55 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #42: Aug 13, 2021 07:41:59 pm
      Quote from PTU
      They will also miss cup games (hopefully) and will need some rest afterwards. But we should be able to manage with what we have.

There will be no rest. As soon as their countries are out of the tournament, they'll be on the first plane back to Liverpool, to play in our next game. As happened in 2017. Back then, they missed 2 LC semis, 3 FA Cup games, and 2 league games. We took 3 points in January from 4 games. We lost 3 home games on the bounce. Our season collapsed from a title challenge and two cup runs, into the usual top 4 bunfight.

It's not the old days of the transfer window, and the squad list outlined in the first post, is not set in stone. A number of players in it will be somewhere else after the transfer window. That's the thing about pre season. While the established first team players get ready to face the season ahead, other players get ready to get away. There's no future for Karius and Woodburn and Shaq here, so they'll be off. Davies and Phillips will probably be gone. We'll take any takers for Minamino and Origi.

All the heavies will be back for the start of the season. At the back, Allison can't be making mistakes and throwing away more games such as against City and Leicester, or his automatic starting place can't be guaranteed. I would go with VVD and Konate as the first choice centre back partnership. Matip is too injury prone to be considered first choice, and I don't think we paid 40m for Konate to sit on the bench. The rest of the team picks itself.

20 BBC pundits gave their predictions for the season. All 20 said we won't win the league, 1 said that we wouldn't make the top 4. So the scale of the task is clear. Despite winning it recently, and going into the season with 8 wins in our last 10 games, everyone has already written us off. Time to prove them all wrong so.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43: Aug 13, 2021 07:45:51 pm
      Paul Tomkins had a good free article today where he suggested that we have something like 15 new signings this season because of how much time a number of players missed last year due to CoVid, injuries and other circumstances. I won't recount it here but recommend you take a look. The point being that we should be a much stronger team this season, with the benefit of not having to integrate a bunch of new faces this season.

One of the 15:  Dr Andreas Schlumberger.

It's like the loaves and the fishes, turning 1 signing into 15.
      FSG must have the pipe and slippers out...
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #44: Aug 14, 2021 03:51:09 am
      It's like the loaves and the fishes, turning 1 signing into 15.
      FSG must have the pipe and slippers out...

There would be no point in trying to influence the PR. The only thing that will matter in the end is if the team wins.

But the article is thoughtful and does show how so so many players are set to have a much greater impact on team fortunes this season.

Starting Saturday, the team is back on course re what Klopp began building.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #45: Aug 14, 2021 06:01:46 am
      There will be no rest. As soon as their countries are out of the tournament, they'll be on the first plane back to Liverpool, to play in our next game. As happened in 2017. Back then, they missed 2 LC semis, 3 FA Cup games, and 2 league games. We took 3 points in January from 4 games. We lost 3 home games on the bounce. Our season collapsed from a title challenge and two cup runs, into the usual top 4 bunfight.

Playing an international tournament is mentally and physically draining. Especially as each of them is the 'star player' of his country. Even if they don't think they need it, I'd rather we give them a few days to rest afterwards. There's no need to risk injuries down the line for the sake of one game.
      And the good thing is they won't all reach the final, so they'll come back gradually.

In 2017, our squad was nowhere near as complete as it is now, so I wouldn't use it as reference point. Also, we played a lot more games in January 2017 than we will in 2022.

20 BBC pundits gave their predictions for the season. All 20 said we won't win the league, 1 said that we wouldn't make the top 4. So the scale of the task is clear. Despite winning it recently, and going into the season with 8 wins in our last 10 games, everyone has already written us off. Time to prove them all wrong so.

To be fair, who gives a sh*t about what pundits say? They're not really the brightest bunch. And we do love to prove people wrong anyway, so let's do it again!

Quick Reply