Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44971 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #69: Sep 02, 2021 08:56:29 am
      My advice stop worrying about what the team will be like in 3 years and just enjoy football & the team we have in the here and now, the way the world is going football might not even be a thing in 3 years.  :lmao:
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #70: Sep 02, 2021 11:14:19 am
      My advice stop worrying about what the team will be like in 3 months and just enjoy football & the team we have in the here and now, the way the world is going football might not even be a thing in 3 months :lmao:
      FTFY  ;)
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #71: Sep 03, 2021 10:00:12 pm
      Our Champions League squad has been confirmed. The only senior player omitted is Karius.

Looks like I was wrong on Gomez only being association-trained, as he is apparently listed as club-trained, thereby allowing us to include Phillips as well.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/

Non-homegrown (up to 17)
      1. Alisson
      2. Adrian
      3. Van Dijk
      4. Matip
      5. Konate
      6. Robertson
      7. Tsimikas
      8. Fabinho
      9. Thiago
      10. Keita
      11. Firmino
      12. Mane
      13. Salah
      14. Jota
      15. Minamino
      16. Origi
      17. Elliott (takes a non-homegrown spot as the 4 association trained spots are already filled. From next season onwards Elliott will count as club-trained and will therefore enable us to register 25 players rather than just 24).

Association-trained (up to 4)
      18. Phillips
      19. Henderson
      20. Ox
      21. Milner

Club-trained (up to 4)
      22. Kelleher
      23. Trent
      24. Gomez

List B (Unlimited amount of club-trained U21's)
      - Curtis Jones
      - Neco Williams
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #72: Sep 03, 2021 10:59:27 pm
      Quote from Richard88
      I thought it would be interesting to compare our squad with the other title contenders to put the lack of activity in this window in some perspective.

There you have it folks, Liverpool officially have the best squad in the league. :D

No West Ham/Leicester/Spurs??

It will imo probably come down to a shoot out between us and City, as you have to be capable of winning 30 games to win the league. That means going 1 goal up and not dropping points, especially against rivals, as Chelsea did last week. You have to have more than a solid defence to win the league.

As for us, we have to compete against rivals with 100mn to dispose of. 23 players were cleared out during this transfer window, half of them on loan, just 1 was brought in. If it becomes a top four shootout again, we know that Jürgen will have to answer the questions that should be redirected to Boston.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #73: Sep 03, 2021 11:57:14 pm
      No West Ham/Leicester/Spurs??

It will imo probably come down to a shoot out between us and City, as you have to be capable of winning 30 games to win the league. That means going 1 goal up and not dropping points, especially against rivals, as Chelsea did last week. You have to have more than a solid defence to win the league.

As for us, we have to compete against rivals with 100mn to dispose of. 23 players were cleared out during this transfer window, half of them on loan, just 1 was brought in. If it becomes a top four shootout again, we know that Jürgen will have to answer the questions that should be redirected to Boston.
      I didn't think including West Ham/Leicester/Spurs warranted the effort as I don't envisage that they'll be in the title race.

23 players sounds like a lot, but only one of those players was an integral part of the first team (Wijnaldum). If one counts all the youth players going on loans then signings like Kaide Gordon should also be counted as an incoming additions to the squad.

Let's also not forget that players returning from loans like Harvey Elliott and Minamino are effectively like new additions to replace some of those who have exited.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #74: Sep 04, 2021 12:12:17 am
      Let's also not forget that players returning from loans like Harvey Elliott and Minamino are effectively like new additions to replace some of those who have exited.

Brave man to go down that line. ;D
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #75: Sep 04, 2021 12:57:53 am
      Brave man to go down that line. ;D
      I think you can see that I only made that comment here to illustrate a point, somewhat sarcastically. The other poster mentioned that 23 players have left with only 1 being signed, which is obviously bending the truth to exaggerate his point and make it seem that the squad has been brought down to bear bones by a stingy ownership group. I simply wanted to point out - using the same (flawed) logic as the poster I was responding to, that by the standard of including youth loans and what not it would only be fair to include players coming back from loans as well as younger signings like Gordon given that there are also plenty of youth players among the 23 he mentioned.

A more fair assessment of the squad is to consider changes that impact the first team, in which case the only significant moves that impact the first team have been to replace Wijnaldum and Shaqiri with Konate and Elliott. Konate might not be a like-for-like replacement for Wijnaldum, but his addition ensures that Fabinho will play more in midfield to effectively take a large chunk of the minutes in midfield that Wijnaldum played last season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #76: Sep 04, 2021 04:36:06 am
      I keep saying this….We are in fact stronger than when we won the league and the UCL, we have added Jota, Thiago, Konate, Tsimikas, Harvey, but we’re minus Gini, we all know last season was a disaster, again, look how many we missed last season who are available this time around, long term absentees being Virgil, Joel, Joe, Naby Ox, Thiago was out for 5 months, Henderson similarly, Fabinho,  Jota out for 4, my maths maybe somewhat ropey but you get my gist,

In case you haven’t noticed already, Jürgen likes to work with a tight group, he doesn’t over complicate things by have too many faces, this season he has a squad of 24, for him that is plenty, so long as injuries are kept to a minimum, that wasn’t the case last season obviously, but yet, we still finished third,

It’s early days yet of course and most teams in the league have yet to reach normal levels, that takes around 5/6 games in, we have dropped two points to one of our rivals, same applies to them, but we’re still in third gear and I think we will be at our optimum in and around Xmas and beyond,  I was going to say ‘IF’ but when we are within the top two or three by the turn of the year, I fancy us to go all the way,

CL status will of course play it’s part, or indeed Europa, but I firmly believe we are in a better shape than in  19/20, with more experience and knowing how to get through the toughest games, especially when we aren’t playing well, yes others have bolstered their squad in particular Chavs, City have spunked £100m on Jack so no one else gets him, Manure have spent even more millions trying to catch up, and have even brought back a has been, who they still think is 18, can’t wait til he gets clattered by some thug from Burnley, or maybe send a email to Pickford, there you go son, fill yer boots,

Make no mistake we will be right up there, we’re hungrier, we want it more, Believe!!

Y  N  W  A
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #77: Sep 04, 2021 10:39:19 am
      I think we’re still at least one good forward away from being complete. This should have been addressed especially when players are still being sidelined with Covid and forced to quarantine. It would be so Liverpool for something like that to happen in a Christmas pile up and we lost 1 or 2 of the front 3.

Midfield could also be light on given Naby and Ox’s injury record for all of Jones and Elliots progress you don’t win major titles when you become too reliant on kids.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #78: Sep 04, 2021 02:31:39 pm
      Does Loris Karius still take part in first team training?

Looks like we weren't able to even give him away. Any idea for how long he is under contract?
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #79: Sep 04, 2021 02:42:22 pm
      I think we’re still at least one good forward away from being complete. This should have been addressed especially when players are still being sidelined with Covid and forced to quarantine. It would be so Liverpool for something like that to happen in a Christmas pile up and we lost 1 or 2 of the front 3.

Midfield could also be light on given Naby and Ox’s injury record for all of Jones and Elliots progress you don’t win major titles when you become too reliant on kids.

We went in to the season with Jota our only credible bench forward. Minamino was surplus to requirements last year and sent on loan in Jan. He couldn't get games at Southampton. He's back and all of a sudden he's a decent option to have. Pull the other one.

Origi, I need no words.

Harvey Elliot has no experience, although bags of potential but you don't launch a league attempt on only bags of potential.

No Bobby and Minamino's now injured. Do we now more Harvey, who has been performing excellent in a cm role, out of that position to compensate for the loss of backup for strikers? Does that now make our middle weaker since he's a starter at cm? Of course it does. If we keep him starting then who plays backup to the front three?

Factor in Mane's extreme loss of form. Problem is there's no one to replace him with so it'll be weekly showings until he either finds form, I personally think he's done at the top level and he's my fav player, or he continues with his average performances. League titles are not won with your stars having average performances.

Will the Ox have to play backup? Square pegs for round holes again.

How do we solve this forward crisis we've found ourselves in so early in to the campaign?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #80: Sep 04, 2021 03:30:51 pm
      Have said it many times WERE OWNED BY MINGES and we will pay for it on the field
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #81: Sep 04, 2021 05:12:23 pm
      I think we should try a new formation, we already low on attackers now so gives us a reason and other teams wouldn’t expect it…

Alisson
              Matip - Dijk - Konate
      Trent - Hendo - Fabinho - Robbo
                       Elliott
                 Salah  -  Jota 

Give Trent and Robbo more freedom and Elliott in a more pure central attacking role. Mane in the bench, let him come in against a tiring team and cause havoc and gain some needed confidence or form or whatever he’s missing right now.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #82: Sep 04, 2021 05:46:48 pm
      I think on paper we are a stronger proposition than when we won the league and we will be within 5 points of the eventual winner if we don't win it ourselves. The others have probably made up ground by a greater degree than we have strengthened, particularly when you factor in the questions around the form of Mané and Firmino (they are far from finished IMO but whether they can fire on all cylinders for so long like before is less clear), so it would have been handy if we had swapped Origi out for a player more able to make an impact.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #83: Sep 04, 2021 06:22:19 pm
      What players make you think we're stronger than the year we won it?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #84: Sep 04, 2021 08:29:19 pm
      It seems that I am not on my own in thinking, we require an extra back up striker. The problem maybe is who and will our owners release the funds for such a player !
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #85: Sep 04, 2021 10:06:53 pm

Thiago, Jota, Konate, Tsimikas.

Possibly Elliott but still very young.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #86: Sep 04, 2021 10:24:17 pm

Gini replaced by Thiago
      Brewster replaced by Jota
      Lovren replaced by Konate
      Moreno replaced by Tsimikas
      Shaqiri replaced by Elliot

Looks like the squad has got stronger
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #87: Sep 04, 2021 10:27:47 pm
      Gini replaced by Thiago
      Brewster replaced by Jota
      Lovren replaced by Konate
      Moreno replaced by Tsimikas
      Shaqiri replaced by Elliot

Looks like the squad has got stronger

It's actually beyond me how anyone could argue it's weaker.

Gini was a vital part of our success but you could hardly argue Thiago is a downgrade on him.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #88: Sep 04, 2021 10:30:18 pm

Thiago replaced Gini. Is he an upgrade? The verdict is still out but I would personally say no.

Jota was definitely an upgrade on Brewster but you also need to factor in Mane and Bobby's loss of form. Was Jota really an upgrade when Mane has been so poor?

We've seen nothing of Konate to know if he's an upgrade or not.

Moreno replaced by Tsimiskas agreed.

Shaq replaced by Elliot disagree. Elliot is playing cm. We have no idea if he'll be good enough at RW.

I don't think we're stronger. I think when people compare squads they're not taking Mane and Bobby's bad form in to account.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #89: Sep 04, 2021 10:34:20 pm
      Thiago replaced Gini. Is he an upgrade? The verdict is still out but I would personally say no.

Jota was definitely an upgrade on Brewster but you also need to factor in Mane and Bobby's loss of form. Was Jota really an upgrade when Mane has been so poor?

We've seen nothing of Konate to know if he's an upgrade or not.

Moreno replaced by Tsimiskas agreed.

Shaq replaced by Elliot disagree. Elliot is playing cm. We have no idea if he'll be good enough at RW.

I don't think we're stronger. I think when people compare squads they're not taking Mane and Bobby's bad form in to account.

Shaqiri played as many games where Elliott is playing as he did at RW.

Thiago is widely regarded as one of the World's best midfielders. As much as I love Gini that is also an upgrade.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #90: Sep 04, 2021 10:38:35 pm
      Below is a like-for-like comparison of our 2019/20 squad compared to the current squad. The only changes are highlighted in bold, with Games Played (GP) in the Premier League included where relevant.

2019/20  ---- 2021/22

Alisson ------ Alisson
      Adrian ------- Adrian
      Kelleher ----- Kelleher
      Lonergan (0GP) - Karius

Van Dijk ---- Van Dijk
      Matip -------- Matip
      Gomez ------ Gomez
      Lovren (10GP) ------- Konate

Trent --------- Trent
      Clyne (0 GP) -- n/a
      Neco (6GP) ----------- Neco

Robertson ----- Robertson
      No backup LB -- Tsimikas

Fabinho -------- Fabinho
      Henderson ----- Henderson
      Wijnaldum ----- Thiago
      Keita ----------- Keita
      Ox -------------- Ox
      Milner ---------- Milner
      Jones (6 GP) --- Jones

Salah -------------- Salah
      Mane -------------- Mane
      Firmino ------------ Firmino

Shaqiri (7GP) ----- Jota
      Lallana (15GP) - Elliott

Origi (28 GP) ----- Origi
      Minamino (10GP) - Minamino
      Brewster (0 GP) --- Gordon

Lonergan to Karius is probably an upgrade but isn't significant whatsoever.

Lovren to Konate is more or less a sideways move or a slight upgrade. Lovren only started 9 PL games that year.

Clyne left but was out with a back injury and wasn't a factor at all.

Neco is 2 years older and more of a legit first team option now, so our backup RB is an upgrade.

Tsimikas is a huge upgrade over not having a proper backup LB (or shoe-horning Milner or 18 year old Neco at LB).

Wijnaldum to Thiago is arguably an upgrade, but Wijnaldum's reliability and availability was important, so let's say that this is a sideways move. Bear in mind that Thiago was a vital part of Bayern's CL-winning team.

Jones is 2 years older and is now a legitimate first team option. Upgrade.

In attack we've basically replaced Lallana (only 15GP / 3 starts) and Shaqiri (only 7GP/2 starts) - a combined 22 GP and 5 starts - with Jota and Elliott. Jota will also take over many of the 28GP/7 starts that Origi had in 2019/20. Overall that's an upgrade given Jota's quality.

Note that Lallana was on his last legs and often injured, only featuring 15 times with only 3 starts. Elliott already has 2 starts this season.

All-in-all, purely in terms of in's and out's the first team is better, at least on paper. Obviously fatigue and aging from our 30+ players is an important factor to consider, but I would argue that their aging is more than offset by the addition of Jota to take most of Origi's minutes, along with maturing of our younger players like Jones, Elliott, Gomez, Kelleher, Trent, etc.

Now, I'm not saying that the squad couldn't have been improved further, such as by upgrading on Origi, but overall the squad does look stronger than it was in 2019/20.

You might argue that Liverpool have more competition this season than in 2019/20 and thus needed more to compete, and although that might be true in terms of there being multiple contenders this time around, it's important to bear in mind that the 2019/20 team were up against a Man City team that had just posted 100 and 98 points in the two seasons prior. Point being that our current LFC team is stronger than the 2019/20 team in a direct like-for-like comparison, and should have just as good a chance of competing at the top that the 2019/20 team did.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #91: Sep 04, 2021 10:41:17 pm
      Shaqiri played as many games where Elliott is playing as he did at RW.

Thiago is widely regarded as one of the World's best midfielders. As much as I love Gini that is also an upgrade.

I love the Bayern Thiago. I don't think he's the same in this league. Last year it got to a point where he got dropped. Yes, last year was a freak year so the verdict will be out this year. With that said, as of right now the Liverpool Thiago isn't an upgrade.

Let's say for arguments sake Elliott is an upgrade.

Konate we have no idea and Jota definitely isn't when we take Mane and Bobby's dreadful form.

So are we really stronger? I have to say no. If anything we're weaker. Mane and Bobbys decline plays a major part in us being weaker. Imo this team can't win the league if their form continues the way it has been for over a year.

Quick Reply