Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44984 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #115: Sep 05, 2021 12:57:24 pm

Last 8GP: 4 goals + 2 assists = 6 involvements in 442 mins for 73.7 mins per goal involvement.
      2020/21: 9 goals + 7 assists = 16 involvements in 2852 mins for 178.3 mins per goal involvement.
      2019/20: 9 goals + 8 assists = 17 involvements in 3004 mins for 176.7 mins per goal involvement.
      2018/19: 12 goals + 7 assists = 19 involvements in 2620 mins for 137.9 mins per goal involvement.
      2017/18: 15 goals + 7 assists = 22 involvements in 2778 mins for 126.3 mins per goal involvement.
      2016/17: 11 goals + 10 assists = 21 involvements in 3068 mins for 146.1 mins per goal involvement.
      2015/16: 10 goals + 8 assists = 18 involvements in 1983 mins for 110.2 mins per goal involvement.

Firmino in his last 8 games is in the form of his life  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

That said, 8 games is a very small sample size admittedly, and it's also across two seasons so it's not super reliable.

It is absolutely concerning that his production levels have dropped from his first four years under Klopp where he was consistently having a goal involvement every 110-140 minutes, as compared to the last two years when he's had a goal involvement roughly every 177 minutes.

It's pretty clear looking at these numbers why he's the one who's getting dropped more frequently for Jota. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, even though Firmino has taken a step back in terms of production, upgrading our 4th striker from Origi to Jota more than offsets the drop in production by Firmino (and Mané).

For the record Jota produced 9 goals in 1112 mins last year for a goal involvement every 123.6 minutes.

Effectively Jota has replaced Firmino as the 3rd forward option (i.e. Jota's goal involvement every 123.6mins has replaced what Firmino was producing), and Firmino has replaced Origi as the 4th choice forward - an obvious upgrade.

It's worth noting that this team won the league with 98 points even when Firmino's goal involvement rose to ~177mins/involvement, so it's not as if the team can't be successful even if he continues playing as he has done the last 2 years.

Anyways, to go back to the point of this conversation, this team is absolutely better overall (at least on paper) than the 2019/20 team, as the additions of Thiago, Jota, Konate, etc and improvements from Jones, Elliott, etc more than offset the losses of Wijnaldum or any perceived loss of form by Firmino or Mane.

A lot of good data here - thanks for putting it together.

I wonder if the analytics types have a more thorough measurement of "goal involvement" than just goals and assists. Bobby of course is often involved in winning possession and transitioning to attack. Mane's running off the ball can make a big difference in stretching the defence and creating room fpr the others. Salah and Jota will have non-stat contributions to goals as well.

So much of our mid-season malaise last year was down to players being injured and/or out of position. That's bound to affect everyone, especially with such a.collective approach to defending, transition and attack we have. We can point fingers at individuals, but typically it's the result of issues affecting the team overall
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #116: Sep 05, 2021 05:11:17 pm
      Curtis Jones out of champ league squad

What's happening there??
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #117: Sep 05, 2021 05:20:30 pm

What's happening there??

I think him and Neco only need to be listed on the 'B' list which can be amended at any time, because of their age and being home grown, they can still take part as long as they are on the B list.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #118: Sep 05, 2021 06:38:17 pm

What's happening there??

Qualifies as U21 and doesn't need to be registered, same as Neco.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #119: Sep 07, 2021 03:59:57 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      A penalty isn’t a guaranteed goal you know, there’s still plenty to do to make sure it results in a goal.

We've scored the last 20 penalties, Salah his last 14. That's not even counting Milner's record. It's not a guaranteed goal, but it's very very likely.

Quote from Richard88
      I didn't think including West Ham/Leicester/Spurs warranted the effort as I don't envisage that they'll be in the title race.

23 players sounds like a lot, but only one of those players was an integral part of the first team (Wijnaldum)

I don't see they'll be in the title race either, but I dont think Chelsea or the mancs will either. I just think that you have to win 30 games to win this league, and you won't do that with a risk averse man in charge. Conte was the last one to do it and that was 5 seasons ago. You just have to set out to win games, not win one here and nick a point there. It should get you 70 points, 80 maybe. But the 90-95 you need? I can't see it.

An entire squad load of players have left the club, a full team has gone out on loan. Most are first team players who may not play every week, but can do a job when called upon. We used to let 10-15 go in summer, now it's 20+. From a numbers perspective, it's left us very light in a number of areas.

Qualifying for the European Cup is supposed to help bring players in, not clear them off. With our status at home and abroad, the competitions we play for, the reach we have at home and abroad, and the revenue it all brings in, it's embarrassing that our season essentially rests on the fitness of VVD. It's almost like nothing has been learned from last year's experience.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #120: Sep 08, 2021 12:34:15 pm
      Brazil to stop us playing Ali, Fab & Bobby (if fit?) this weekend??!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58486811
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #121: Sep 08, 2021 12:36:43 pm

What a shambles.

If they went then they would have had quarantine on the way back in the UK for 10 days as far as I can tell. Means whatever the PL clubs decided to do they would have lost their players for at least a game or two which makes no sense and isn't exactly fair.

It's riduclous that international football is even going on with all the quarantine rules anyway to be honest.
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2021 12:42:55 pm by chats »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #122: Sep 08, 2021 12:43:04 pm

Except for Richarlison  he seems to be ok due to good relations  :lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #123: Sep 08, 2021 12:48:25 pm
      Except for Richarlison  he seems to be ok due to good relations  :lmao:

Farce.

If Fifa are trying to ban the players they all should be banned. Good relationship or not.

Leeds and us should just ignore it and see what they do
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #124: Sep 08, 2021 01:02:38 pm
      Farce.

If Fifa are trying to ban the players they all should be banned. Good relationship or not.

Leeds and us should just ignore it and see what they do

They can drop us the points apparently with  3-0 forfeit so we should both do it
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #125: Sep 08, 2021 01:07:28 pm
      They can drop us the points apparently with  3-0 forfeit so we should both do it

Yep coordinate it with Leeds.

But likely we'll just not play them.

Super League discussion will start in earnest again I'd say after this. I no way should Fifa be able to dictate to a club who pays a players wages when they should play.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #126: Sep 08, 2021 01:19:07 pm

just stupid now int it.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #127: Sep 08, 2021 01:42:39 pm
      Seeing as there are several clubs involved - including us, Chelsea, and Man City, the clubs could just play these players and call FIFA's bluff. There's no way the PL or FA would sanction having several of their biggest clubs docked points, that would invalidate the integrity of the league competition. And UEFA would never agree to ban multiple English clubs in the CL.

The Richarlison situation is laughable and the inconsistency with how this rule is applied shows that it's nothing short of retribution for the sake of retribution rather than common sense being applied.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #128: Sep 08, 2021 01:52:40 pm

Just say the words

I RETIRED FROM INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL

F**k them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #129: Sep 08, 2021 02:25:17 pm
      Just say the words

I RETIRED FROM INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL

F**k them

Bobby was injured for a start anyway.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #130: Sep 08, 2021 02:59:28 pm
      This is f**king bullshit. We are now barred from selecting Alisson and Fabinho against Leeds? So UK makes rules, Brazil makes rules, FIFA makes rules and they are all conflicting and we are somehow supposed to navigate through all this bullshit to then finally get our players barred from playing?

Is there a way we appeal this sh*t? This is a lose lose situation for us. Send them and next thing you know you have to quarantine them and you therefore cant play them, don't send them and FIFA and the Brazil FA pop out of the woodwork to stop them from playing.

Edit: also, isn't the UK on Brazil's sh*t red list? Doesn't that mean that Fab and Ali would've had to quarantine for 14 days in Brazil therefore not playing anyway? Why the F**k are we in the middle of a political spat between this retarded Brazil president, FIFA and the UK. This is some sh*t
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #131: Sep 08, 2021 03:26:35 pm
      Brazil football authorities, "Hey!  Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United and Leeds United!!  You know those Brazilian players you employ for £100k+ per week? We're forbidding you to play them the weekend!!"

Unbef###inglievable!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #132: Sep 08, 2021 04:50:56 pm

Super League discussion will start in earnest again I'd say after this. I no way should Fifa be able to dictate to a club who pays a players wages when they should play.

It's a rule that's been in force for a while, just a bit of common sense should of been used with current ongoing covid situation.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #133: Sep 08, 2021 10:43:40 pm
      Quote from srslfc

The rule is if a player is called into an international squad, the club is obliged to release him, and we didn't do so. It's never had to be enforced because players have never had to travel around the world to play games during a pandemic. The rule has to be there though, otherwise no players would be released to play for their countries at any time. I believe the decision was taken out of our hands, so it should be whoever did who should face the consequences. It's not just us affected, but as regards us,

Firmino is injured, so he wouldn't play in any case.
      Kelleher can deal with what's fired at him, so that's the keeper issue sorted.
      Fabinho is really the only one where we would be significantly impacted, but we can take the hit for one game.

The Super League can be discussed, but can't  happen without UEFA/FIFA approval.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #134: Sep 09, 2021 12:38:25 pm
      Brazil football authorities, "Hey!  Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United and Leeds United!!  You know those Brazilian players you employ for £100k+ per week? We're forbidding you to play them the weekend!!"

Unbef###inglievable!!!

;D its crazy stuff, especially considering all the covid restrictions.

Looks like the clubs are telling FIFA to do 1.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #135: Sep 10, 2021 07:09:41 am
      the world is just a show and the elite are playing jokes on us all
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #136: Sep 10, 2021 07:36:18 am
      The rule is if a player is called into an international squad, the club is obliged to release him, and we didn't do so. It's never had to be enforced because players have never had to travel around the world to play games during a pandemic. The rule has to be there though, otherwise no players would be released to play for their countries at any time. I believe the decision was taken out of our hands, so it should be whoever did who should face the consequences. It's not just us affected, but as regards us,

Firmino is injured, so he wouldn't play in any case.
      Kelleher can deal with what's fired at him, so that's the keeper issue sorted.
      Fabinho is really the only one where we would be significantly impacted, but we can take the hit for one game.

The Super League can be discussed, but can't  happen without UEFA/FIFA approval.

Losing Ali has far greater impact than losing Fab
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #137: Sep 12, 2021 03:24:45 am

Losing Ali has far greater impact than losing Fab

Last year we were told by many that the reason we couldn’t score for ages was because Fabinho wasn’t in midfield. Seems like he’s the most important player to lose.

Quick Reply