Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 45035 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #161: Sep 19, 2021 10:35:19 pm
      Definitely. I was a little bit nervous yesterday seeing that defence as it's a back 4 that had never been played together. But they got through it well.

They would have played against the best front three many times at Kirkby. Ask any top level performer and they'd tell you how much preparation work they've put in for the real show. What we see is just the tip of the iceberg. Alright, unless you work inside the AXA and you have direct insights, then I could be wrong. But generally, that's what training sessions are for...
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #162: Sep 21, 2021 10:07:37 pm
      Keita "dragged" off at halftime. The scenes!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #163: Sep 21, 2021 10:11:04 pm
      On tonight's evidence Morton looks like he should be in the first team squad proper. Would like to see him start the next League Cup game regardless of who we get drawn against.

I'd also like to see more of Kaide Gordon, perhaps with more support from CM and RB than what Ox and Bradley provided. He's the sort of player you just do everything to find ways to get the ball to as much as possible around the box.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #164: Sep 22, 2021 12:57:52 am
      Nice to add three youngsters to the squad. :)

Allison
                           Kelleher
                            Adrian
                            Karius

Trent      Matip     Van Dijk    Robertson
      Neco      Konate    Gomez      Tsimikas
      Bradley  Phillips

Fabinho
                           Milner
                          Morton

Henderson     Thiago
                   Elliott          Keita
                     Ox            Jones

Salah       Jota          Mane
            Gordon   Firmino        Origi
                        Minamino

We effectively beat Norwich with ~7 2nd choice players (Kelleher, Konate, Gomez, Tsimikas, Keita, Origi, Minamino), and ~4 3rd choice players (Bradley, Ox, Jones, Gordon), along with another 3rd choice player in the 2nd half with Morton coming on. So essentially ~75% of the team were the B team, and the rest were youth players. Real nice to see the squad depth be so strong.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #165: Sep 22, 2021 03:29:47 am
      Able to rest our strongest team tonight, and give the backups another chance to play in a few weeks.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #166: Sep 22, 2021 11:12:34 am
      More evidence last night of how much Jürgen loves flexibility in his players.

Jones played 6 then more of an 8.

Minamino played in the front three then moved back to midfield.

Chamberlain played in midfield then left of the front three, albeit not a total success.

Milner fills a number of positions along with some other players we have.

So in a 25 man squad as well as having the numbers we also have the flexibility to cover more with how we develop out players for multiple roles
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #167: Sep 22, 2021 11:56:01 am
      More evidence last night of how much Jürgen loves flexibility in his players.

Jones played 6 then more of an 8.

Minamino played in the front three then moved back to midfield.

Chamberlain played in midfield then left of the front three, albeit not a total success.

Milner fills a number of positions along with some other players we have.

So in a 25 man squad as well as having the numbers we also have the flexibility to cover more with how we develop out players for multiple roles

You  just have to be careful...you don't want a bunch of guys that are a jack of all trades but master of none. But agree so far it works.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #168: Sep 22, 2021 12:04:25 pm
      Its just great that we can rotate Central defenders again.

All 4 look so strong and then big Nat as extra backup too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #169: Sep 22, 2021 12:32:36 pm
      You  just have to be careful...you don't want a bunch of guys that are a jack of all trades but master of none. But agree so far it works.

Fair point mate but I really don't think that's the case. They all have their primary position but then can shift.

The only one that stands out for me is Chamberlain as I really don't see where he fits for us at the moment in current form.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #170: Sep 22, 2021 12:39:33 pm
      Hate to say it, I’ve always had a soft spot just for the fact we have the same surname and he wore my favourite number when he arrived… but it’s time to let Ox go. I just don’t see it happening now. I’d try and ship him off to a Southampton or something for £10-15 mill, I think it would be best for him too personally, more chance to play and build up some steam.

Other than that the young ones and forward back up did a great job 👏🏻

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #171: Sep 22, 2021 01:15:26 pm
      Hate to say it, I’ve always had a soft spot just for the fact we have the same surname and he wore my favourite number when he arrived… but it’s time to let Ox go. I just don’t see it happening now. I’d try and ship him off to a Southampton or something for £10-15 mill, I think it would be best for him too personally, more chance to play and build up some steam.

The way the squad has been managed the last few years under Klopp and Edwards by constantly optimising the age profile of the squad and moving on players on who are paid more than they contribute makes it fairly clear that Ox's days at the club are numbered.

Next summer both Ox and Keita will have only 12 months remaining on their current deals, and Milner's contract expires, so it seems inevitable that there will be at least one outgoing in midfield and one incoming midfield signing.

Hypothetically let's say it's Bissouma who comes in with Ox out and with Milner and Keita staying, which would make our options as follows:

Fabinho
                     Milner
                    Morton

Henderson     Thiago
      Bissouma        Keita
      Elliott               Jones

That looks pretty solid in terms of quality, age profile, and durability (having exchanged an injury prone Ox for a more robust Bissouma). I also loved seeing Morton last night and he like Elliott could stake a claim for some more games next season beyond just th cups.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #172: Sep 22, 2021 02:44:20 pm

Yup its a big season for ox.

But so far so good for him staying fit at least, Really hoping once he gets a goal or 2 his confidence will rise and we will see the best of him again.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #173: Sep 22, 2021 03:00:30 pm
      The way the squad has been managed the last few years under Klopp and Edwards by constantly optimising the age profile of the squad and moving on players on who are paid more than they contribute makes it fairly clear that Ox's days at the club are numbered.

Next summer both Ox and Keita will have only 12 months remaining on their current deals, and Milner's contract expires, so it seems inevitable that there will be at least one outgoing in midfield and one incoming midfield signing.

Hypothetically let's say it's Bissouma who comes in with Ox out and with Milner and Keita staying, which would make our options as follows:

Fabinho
                     Milner
                    Morton

Henderson     Thiago
      Bissouma        Keita
      Elliott               Jones

That looks pretty solid in terms of quality, age profile, and durability (having exchanged an injury prone Ox for a more robust Bissouma). I also loved seeing Morton last night and he like Elliott could stake a claim for some more games next season beyond just th cups.

Thought Bissouma is more of a DM like Fab?

And would def like to see more of Morton. He turns 19 in October so def old enough to start crafting himself a spot on the team.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #174: Sep 22, 2021 03:03:25 pm
      Yup its a big season for ox.

But so far so good for him staying fit at least, Really hoping once he gets a goal or 2 his confidence will rise and we will see the best of him again.

He looked better in the 2nd half but overall he didn’t impress. Ultimately just need him to stay healthy so he can play a fringe role this year and allow others to get a rest. He’s probably last in the midfield pecking order anyways as I would put Thiago, Hendo, Keita, Jones, Milner and Elliott (when healthy) ahead of him.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #175: Sep 22, 2021 04:17:07 pm
      Thought Bissouma is more of a DM like Fab?

And would def like to see more of Morton. He turns 19 in October so def old enough to start crafting himself a spot on the team.
      Bissouma can play both the DM position and the No.8. He wouldn't take Fabinho's spot though so I would envisage that most of his appearances would come in Wijnaldum's No.8 position, ideally with a more attacking No.8 next to him (eg. Elliott, Thiago, Jones).

As for Morton, I didn't realise he was turning 19 so soon. Definitely the right age to get himself into the first team squad more frequently. Looking at his transfermarkt page he seems to have a knack for scoring a goal in a big game, as 5 of his goals at u23 level last season came against Man City, Everton, Spurs, Man United, and Chelsea. (https://www.transfermarkt.com/tyler-morton/leistungsdaten/spieler/618494/plus/0?saison=2020)

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2021 04:23:32 pm by Richard88 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #176: Sep 22, 2021 04:24:42 pm
      On tonight's evidence Morton looks like he should be in the first team squad proper. Would like to see him start the next League Cup game regardless of who we get drawn against.

Was basically running the midfield from the minute he came on. Few tasty challenges as well.

Looks a brilliant prospect
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #177: Sep 22, 2021 04:56:51 pm
      Was basically running the midfield from the minute he came on. Few tasty challenges as well.

Looks a brilliant prospect
      Indeed, it was a really mature and assured performance. He was a proper 'lighthouse' for 45 minutes, as Pep Lijnders likes to call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20PPEfxRts
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #178: Sep 22, 2021 11:25:11 pm
      For all the talk about our lack of depth up front compared to our rivals like #ManUtdTheDeepestSquadInTheLeague it was pretty funny to see United supposed 'great' depth fluff their lines and fail to score at home to West Ham, after our 'terrible' depth got 3 goals and an assist between them against Norwich.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #179: Sep 23, 2021 08:13:25 am
      Take Fernandez and Ronaldo out of that mob and they are average.  Which makes me laugh when folk say we need more top quality backup for our 4 front men. Well our backup have so far shown up brilliantly. 🙂
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #180: Sep 23, 2021 02:11:21 pm
      I hope I’m wrong but every way I look at it we’re a quality body short in the middle. Naby,Ox, Thiago and even Fab have shown to be injury prone.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #181: Sep 23, 2021 02:58:34 pm
      I hope I’m wrong but every way I look at it we’re a quality body short in the middle. Naby,Ox, Thiago and even Fab have shown to be injury prone.

Dont jinx naby and ox, both been injury free for as long as I can remember. ;D

Naby injury thru week doesn't count, its only minor which happens to all players.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #182: Sep 23, 2021 03:00:13 pm
      Dont jinx naby and ox, both been injury free for as long as I can remember. ;D

Naby injury thru week doesn't count, its only minor which happens to all players.

Mate seasons only weeks old .. I’m being a realist here.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #183: Sep 23, 2021 03:22:11 pm
      Mate seasons only weeks old .. I’m being a realist here.

;D or being negative.

They have both been fit and Injury free since before pre-season. that's ages for them, long may it continue.

Quick Reply