Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44930 times
      JackRed97
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #437: Dec 24, 2021 08:01:44 pm
      Didn't see Gomez, Milly or Naby in the photo though?
      Covid?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #438: Jan 02, 2022 10:56:20 pm
      A point that I think get overlooked when people talk about lack of investment and not upgrading while we are successful is that to really do that some players inevitably would have had to move on.

We only have so many spaces to register and also how many of the players who have given us the success over the last number of years would the settle into a squad role?

To really keep the squad happy, as is Jurgens way, to really upgrade and freshen we would have had to sell one or two of the players how have led us to our first league title in thirty years and number 6.

How many would have been happy if that happened?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #439: Jan 02, 2022 11:02:20 pm
      A point that I think get overlooked when people talk about lack of investment and not upgrading while we are successful is that to really do that some players inevitably would have had to move on.

We only have so many spaces to register and also how many of the players who have given us the success over the last number of years would the settle into a squad role?

To really keep the squad happy, as is Jurgens way, to really upgrade and freshen we would have had to sell one or two of the players how have led us to our first league title in thirty years and number 6.

How many would have been happy if that happened?

Ox, Keita, Milner and one of Origi or Taki could all be moved on for me if it meant us brining in one top quality player who can goes straight into the starting XI.

Milner I’d maybe consider keeping as a squad player but I don’t see what he offers be it in midfield or at full back any more - basically use for cup games and as a rotation option.

Ox absolutely needs to go, never recovered from that knee injury unfortunately but we can’t be sentimental.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #440: Jan 02, 2022 11:10:18 pm
      Ox, Keita, Milner and one of Origi or Taki could all be moved on for me if it meant us brining in one top quality player who can goes straight into the starting XI.

Milner I’d maybe consider keeping as a squad player but I don’t see what he offers be it in midfield or at full back any more - basically use for cup games and as a rotation option.

Ox absolutely needs to go, never recovered from that knee injury unfortunately but we can’t be sentimental.

I don't disagree with a lot of this mate but it's not a simple as that.

If you leave Naby to one side, as I thing JĂźrgen definitely wanted at least to see another season of him, was there any interest in the other players to be able to move them on?

RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #441: Jan 02, 2022 11:19:10 pm
      I don't disagree with a lot of this mate but it's not a simple as that.

If you leave Naby to one side, as I thing JĂźrgen definitely wanted at least to see another season of him, was there any interest in the other players to be able to move them on?

Honestly mate, not sure I guess the only thing as fans were can judge on is speculation in the press and there was none around those lads.

Obviously I’m playing football manager here and know it isn’t as easy as whacking them on a transfer list and someone comes in but perfect world that is what I would be looking to do.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #442: Jan 03, 2022 11:05:23 pm

Depending on where that new starting player plays it would have to be a starting player leaving to make room. If, for example, you bring in someone to start at LW, Mane isn't going to simply be ok being 4th option now and Jota (or Bobby) certainly wouldn't be ok, nor would he deserve, to suddenly be moved down to Origi's spot as the 5th forward getting cup games and crumbs during the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #443: Jan 03, 2022 11:09:07 pm
      Depending on where that new starting player plays it would have to be a starting player leaving to make room. If, for example, you bring in someone to start at LW, Mane isn't going to simply be ok being 4th option now and Jota (or Bobby) certainly wouldn't be ok, nor would he deserve, to suddenly be moved down to Origi's spot as the 5th forward getting cup games and crumbs during the league.

This is the point I was making a bit of a fist of making. :D

Cheers.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #444: Jan 04, 2022 12:15:17 am

So if you’re happy with your starting 11 then you need to buy quality and move on the subs you think aren’t up to standard.
      Doesn’t matter what involvement they had in previous victories, move them on.

As Sir Bob said when he was asked about moving decent players on, “ You only see them once a week. I see them every day. If a players legs are going, make sure they go in someone else’s team”

No sentiment if you want consistent trophies !
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #445: Jan 04, 2022 04:32:14 am

And so is the way of football teams.

If Mane doesn't like it Mane can up his levels to stay in the team. If Mane really doesn't like it Mane can go. This is Liverpool Football Club not players football club. We play the players that will win us trophies not players that previously won us trophies.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #446: Jan 04, 2022 07:28:29 am

Which is absolutely fine, but it’s doesn’t mean you stand still

You either bring one in for competition, if Mane (in this example isn’t happy then he can move one)
      Or you make that decision for him and replace him with two

Let him get old on someone else’s pitch

If we stand still and be sentimental then you will go backwards because your main rivals won’t stand still and do great with top quality sat on the bench or rotating

Problem we have with this model is you have to sell someone in their prime to replace them, we won’t spend money ourselves so there is no alternative
      If you don’t all the players age and have no resale value and then it’s hello square one again
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2022 07:37:56 am by Redman7804 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #447: Jan 04, 2022 09:01:46 am
      Which is absolutely fine, but it’s doesn’t mean you stand still

You either bring one in for competition, if Mane (in this example isn’t happy then he can move one)
      Or you make that decision for him and replace him with two

Let him get old on someone else’s pitch

If we stand still and be sentimental then you will go backwards because your main rivals won’t stand still and do great with top quality sat on the bench or rotating

Problem we have with this model is you have to sell someone in their prime to replace them, we won’t spend money ourselves so there is no alternative
      If you don’t all the players age and have no resale value and then it’s hello square one again

Ok, but at the same time the club management will be criticized for not extending every player whose contract comes within two years of expiring. (Not talking about Salah here). This idea of selling on the players when they are getting older doesn't resonate nearly as well with the modern footballer. The kind of chemistry our manager has built in the team doesn't come from treating them like pieces of furniture. It's a delicate balance and complicated.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #448: Jan 04, 2022 09:59:02 am
      And so is the way of football teams.

If Mane doesn't like it Mane can up his levels to stay in the team. If Mane really doesn't like it Mane can go. This is Liverpool Football Club not players football club. We play the players that will win us trophies not players that previously won us trophies.

I'll pick up on this as I raised the point originally.

I've no issue with your Mane example but I can guarantee if we bought a big name forward and Mane was sold because he couldn't or didn't want to up his level and ended up on the bench some of you lot would be screaming about sell to buy again.

Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #449: Jan 04, 2022 10:00:31 am
      Ok, but at the same time the club management will be criticized for not extending every player whose contract comes within two years of expiring. (Not talking about Salah here). This idea of selling on the players when they are getting older doesn't resonate nearly as well with the modern footballer. The kind of chemistry our manager has built in the team doesn't come from treating them like pieces of furniture. It's a delicate balance and complicated.

It’s not how I’d like it done but I’m afraid with this model it’s the way you have to be or they all age and you have no value to reinvest

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #450: Jan 04, 2022 10:16:27 am
      Anyone agree with me that a summer of Bellingham and Bowen would be a decent window?

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #451: Jan 04, 2022 10:28:18 am
      Anyone agree with me that a summer of Bellingham and Bowen would be a decent window?

That would be a very good window
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #452: Jan 04, 2022 10:31:47 am

It would but not likely is it? You be looking somewhere in the region of ÂŁ130m for the pair?

So unless we sell somewhere in the region of £100m then it’s pie in the sky no?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #453: Jan 04, 2022 10:35:40 am
      It would but not likely is it? You be looking somewhere in the region of ÂŁ130m for the pair?

Origi, Chamberlain, Gomez, Phillips, maybe Minamino and possible one of the main front three?

Those are possible exits and would approach ÂŁ80M even for the first four on that list so I don't think it's out of the question mate
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #454: Jan 04, 2022 10:41:48 am

Only if we added John Mcginn & Billy Gilmour too Si, doubtful but one can dream 😴 !
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #455: Jan 04, 2022 10:49:47 am

I suspect ( prob wrong ) that there will be a lot more money available this summer

All the commercial has been restored
      Match day revenue

And the big one will be 2 years worth of Nike sales money ( haven’t had anything beyond the yearly price )

That along with some sales ( Ox, Keita and maybe some youngsters ) I think will provide the New DoF with some significant funds
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #456: Jan 04, 2022 10:54:10 am
      Origi, Chamberlain, Gomez, Phillips, maybe Minamino and possible one of the main front three?

Those are possible exits and would approach ÂŁ80M even for the first four on that list so I don't think it's out of the question mate

I wouldn’t let Gomez go personally, we will just be spending 40-50m on his replacement

If Div and Taki leave and only Bowen comes in we’d be shorter than we are now let alone one of the current front three
      Say Mane, Taki and Div leave and just Bowen in? Disaster written all over that

I suspect ( prob wrong ) that there will be a lot more money available this summer

All the commercial has been restored
      Match day revenue

And the big one will be 2 years worth of Nike sales money ( haven’t had anything beyond the yearly price )

That along with some sales ( Ox, Keita and maybe some youngsters ) I think will provide the New DoF with some significant funds

We seem to have that line (through the press) every year

Next year will be a big one for Liverpool in the market, yet it never is
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #457: Jan 04, 2022 11:01:56 am
      I wouldn’t let Gomez go personally, we will just be spending 40-50m on his replacement

If Div and Taki leave and only Bowen comes in we’d be shorter than we are now let alone one of the current front three
      Say Mane, Taki and Div leave and just Bowen in? Disaster written all over that

We seem to have that line (through the press) every year

Next year will be a big one for Liverpool in the market, yet it never is

We don’t have that line - the press dribble it , the club as always say nothing when it comes to transfers

All this “next summer” stuff is part of the click bait that the Twitterati leap upon and then when the club don’t sign someone they use it as a tool to beat the club

The club have always been very quiet - shame some don’t see it

I’m just looking at the situation over the last 12 months and this season

We lost over ÂŁ50mil in commercial revenue and ÂŁ20mins because of the closed door games - because of the pandemic

Part of the Nike deal was getting 20% of all global sales

That’s due to this year

So when you add all that together and potentially offset some losses and add player sales then I can see the club looking at two first team players and maybe someone like Bellingham

But all this “next summer” sh*te should be left to the Twitter bed wetters
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #458: Jan 04, 2022 11:06:04 am
      We don’t have that line - the press dribble it , the club as always say nothing when it comes to transfers

All this “next summer” stuff is part of the click bait that the Twitterati leap upon and then when the club don’t sign someone they use it as a tool to beat the club

The club have always been very quiet - shame some don’t see it

I’m just looking at the situation over the last 12 months and this season

We lost over ÂŁ50mil in commercial revenue and ÂŁ20mins because of the closed door games - because of the pandemic

Part of the Nike deal was getting 20% of all global sales

That’s due to this year

So when you add all that together and potentially offset some losses and add player sales then I can see the club looking at two first team players and maybe someone like Bellingham

But all this “next summer” sh*te should be left to the Twitter bed wetters

Well that may well be the case but it tends to come from journalists that are associated with the club

But choose to ignore it if it doesn’t suit

Look, I hope you’re right, but going on the evidence of the last decade it seems highly unlikely
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #459: Jan 04, 2022 11:16:08 am
      Well that may well be the case but it tends to come from journalists that are associated with the club

But choose to ignore it if it doesn’t suit

Look, I hope you’re right, but going on the evidence of the last decade it seems highly unlikely

The last decade we have been building the commercial income - we didn’t have the likes of the deal with Nike , the level of match day revenue and then Covid as well

It pays to just look past headlines or what ever a journalist says

The club have learned many times not to give journos sh*t - take the Jota/Werner as an example - every “associated” Journo had us balls deep for Werner , not a sniff on Jota , same when we got the likes of Fabinho , or when VVD arrived in the Jan window

Look past media bollocks

In the last decade we had one quiet summer - we have made significant purchases in all the others

Quick Reply