Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44962 times
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #460: Jan 04, 2022 11:21:50 am
      The last decade we have been building the commercial income - we didnā€™t have the likes of the deal with Nike , the level of match day revenue and then Covid as well

It pays to just look past headlines or what ever a journalist says

The club have learned many times not to give journos sh*t - take the Jota/Werner as an example - every ā€œassociatedā€ Journo had us balls deep for Werner , not a sniff on Jota , same when we got the likes of Fabinho , or when VVD arrived in the Jan window

Look past media bollocks

In the last decade we had one quiet summer - we have made significant purchases in all the others

Well we will see but like I say I donā€™t hold out much hope so if youā€™re right it will be a pleasant surprise
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #461: Jan 04, 2022 12:24:21 pm
      Itā€™s not how Iā€™d like it done but Iā€™m afraid with this model itā€™s the way you have to be or they all age and you have no value to reinvest

Have to leave fkr work now, but it seems we tend to let veterans leave on a free rather than sell them. I'll do a deeper dive on our transfers out later.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #462: Jan 04, 2022 01:05:36 pm
      We donā€™t have that line - the press dribble it , the club as always say nothing when it comes to transfers

All this ā€œnext summerā€ stuff is part of the click bait that the Twitterati leap upon and then when the club donā€™t sign someone they use it as a tool to beat the club

The club have always been very quiet - shame some donā€™t see it

Iā€™m just looking at the situation over the last 12 months and this season

We lost over Ā£50mil in commercial revenue and Ā£20mins because of the closed door games - because of the pandemic

Part of the Nike deal was getting 20% of all global sales

Thatā€™s due to this year

So when you add all that together and potentially offset some losses and add player sales then I can see the club looking at two first team players and maybe someone like Bellingham

But all this ā€œnext summerā€ sh*te should be left to the Twitter bed wetters

Could it be their very quiet because f**k all ever happens, just a thought??
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #463: Jan 04, 2022 01:13:07 pm
      I've got Pyjamas blocked but I can see when posters quote him.

F**k me I have never seen someone defend a business, the way he does FSG, that they're not a part of like he does.

He's in EVERY thread they're mentioned defending them day and night.

He has an answer for everything and is relentless. He talks like he knows what the future plans are. sh*t like "we never had the Nike deal before. Now we have that it'll allow us to....." or "the opening years were about us balancing books to allow us to expand commercially which created extra revenue....."

Who tf are youuuu?

Sorry mods but this guy is a plant idgaf I said it. Ban me if you want.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #464: Jan 04, 2022 01:17:20 pm

Could it be their very quiet because f**k all ever happens, just a thought??

Plenty happens or did all those players arrive by magic 🪄 🤔
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #465: Jan 04, 2022 01:38:33 pm
      Plenty happens or did all those players arrive by magic 🪄 🤔

What, you mean Konate, our only signing this season, is that what you mean by ā€˜plentyā€™ happens ?
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #466: Jan 04, 2022 01:39:48 pm
      Have to leave fkr work now, but it seems we tend to let veterans leave on a free rather than sell them. I'll do a deeper dive on our transfers out later.

Thatā€™s a different point to selling to regenerating the squad though mate no?

If we donā€™t sell a Salah, Mane or whoever at peak price we wonā€™t be given funds to replace them when the time comes
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #467: Jan 04, 2022 01:44:55 pm
      Origi, Chamberlain, Gomez, Phillips, maybe Minamino and possible one of the main front three?

Those are possible exits and would approach Ā£80M even for the first four on that list so I don't think it's out of the question mate

So bring in two players and let 5 go? So the squad gets even smaller? I know JĆ¼rgen likes working with a smaller squad but when we have injuries or these covid quarantines or busy times of year, it always seems to be an issue.

Why can't we bring in players without worrying about selling a bunch. Wouldn't that be a luxury?
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #468: Jan 04, 2022 01:46:02 pm
      Would have cashed in on Keita and AOC two years ago - not sure how much we'll get for them now.

Origi I'd keep, has an eye for goal and gives us something a bit different, even if sporadic.

Gomez, doesn't seem to have progressed and has injury issues - if got good fee, would consider moving on. 50/50 on Joe.
      Would keep Phillips if Joe left. If Joe stays, maybe Nat might want to leave to play more regularly, would get decent money and would be hard to deny him the opportunity, seems 15mill is the going rate.

Taki, would have considered moving him on before now, but with the lads going to AFCON, maybe will get a bit if a run and might get to show a bit more than he has to date.

Firmino, would have considered moving him on in the summer. Last season we had the CB nitemare, but we also had a period in the new year where we couldn't hit a barn door up front, and talk of front three coming to an end. Jota is now imho ahead of Bob. Am huge fan of Firmino, and an in form and firing Bob starts ahead of Jota every time, but not sure if Bob will get back to that level. He might, hope he does.

Not sure Milner has another season in him, he might decide he wants to keep playing and drop to a lower level for next year. If he'd stayed I wouldn't argue, the lad is a top pro, but he'd be further down the pecking order.

If we could get Traore for 20mill, think JĆ¼rgen could work with him.
      Tielemans might also be someone JĆ¼rgen could develop.
      Gilmour and Gallagher look promising, but why would Chelsea let them go.
      What's happened Deli Ali, from looking like a player, dropped off the radar - could JĆ¼rgen work some magic..
      Coutinho on loan, would consider it in Jan.
      Eden Hazard, nah, too injury prone.
      Bowen/McGinn, not sure, hard workers though.
      Wirtz, havent seen much of him but sounds promising.
      Ruben Neves, not for me.
      Renato Sanches, used to like him but not so sure now.

Rice, Bellingham, Haaland, Mbappe etc - different bracket - v good players but talking BIG money.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #469: Jan 04, 2022 01:47:08 pm

What, you mean Konate, our only signing this season, is that what you mean by ā€˜plentyā€™ happens ?

Konate this season
      Jota , Thiago , Kostas previous seasons

There has been one summer where the club have been quiet as such in the market - the year we only got Elliot , Van Der Berg and Adrian
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #470: Jan 04, 2022 02:07:59 pm

Also doesn't even take into the account the many players who LEFT the club in the summer.   God help us if FSG have a quiet summer, if that is plenty.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #471: Jan 04, 2022 03:08:12 pm
      it seems we tend to let veterans leave on a free rather than sell them.
      The armchair transfer experts pontificate as if clubs possess 100% discretion over their players when it comes to the transfer market, completely ignoring how contract terms give players leverage and say over their future.

LFC: "Gini, we'd like to sell you with a year left on your LFC contract in order to recoup some fees"
      Gini: "NO, I'm happy letting you pay my current LFC salary now and my new club next year will give me a massive bump in pay because they didn't have to shell out 25mill this year. Win win for them and for me. Not so much for you though.....sorry"

Real Madrid: "Gareth, we are going to let you transfer out"
      Bale: "No, I'm going to let you continue paying my albatross salary. I'll let you know when I'm ready to go. Now if you don't mind, I have a tee time at 10AM"

PSG: "Mbappe, lets extend you with a year to go in your contract"
      Mbappe: "No, lets let my contract expire and see what kind of silly money the other Nation State and Oligarch owned teams will offer me. In the meantime, why don't you go check on Namar in the physio room or the aging Argentinian who can't find the back of the net"
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #472: Jan 04, 2022 03:47:13 pm
      I've got Pyjamas blocked but I can see when posters quote him.

F**k me I have never seen someone defend a business, the way he does FSG, that they're not a part of like he does.

He's in EVERY thread they're mentioned defending them day and night.

He has an answer for everything and is relentless. He talks like he knows what the future plans are. Sh*t like "we never had the Nike deal before. Now we have that it'll allow us to....." or "the opening years were about us balancing books to allow us to expand commercially which created extra revenue....."

Who tf are youuuu?

Sorry mods but this guy is a plant idgaf I said it. Ban me if you want.

A plant 😂😂😂

Watching too many movies you
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #473: Jan 04, 2022 06:41:38 pm
      So bring in two players and let 5 go? So the squad gets even smaller? I know JĆ¼rgen likes working with a smaller squad but when we have injuries or these covid quarantines or busy times of year, it always seems to be an issue.

Why can't we bring in players without worrying about selling a bunch. Wouldn't that be a luxury?

The squad is as big as it's allowed to be as far as I recall??

Was just throwing a few examples of what could happen.

For me I'd not miss Origi, Phillips, Minamino and Chamberlain if we bought Bellingham and Bowen and had another young player coming through
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #474: Jan 04, 2022 06:57:07 pm
      The armchair transfer experts pontificate as if clubs possess 100% discretion over their players when it comes to the transfer market, completely ignoring how contract terms give players leverage and say over their future.

LFC: "Gini, we'd like to sell you with a year left on your LFC contract in order to recoup some fees"
      Gini: "NO, I'm happy letting you pay my current LFC salary now and my new club next year will give me a massive bump in pay because they didn't have to shell out 25mill this year. Win win for them and for me. Not so much for you though.....sorry"

Real Madrid: "Gareth, we are going to let you transfer out"
      Bale: "No, I'm going to let you continue paying my albatross salary. I'll let you know when I'm ready to go. Now if you don't mind, I have a tee time at 10AM"

PSG: "Mbappe, lets extend you with a year to go in your contract"
      Mbappe: "No, lets let my contract expire and see what kind of silly money the other Nation State and Oligarch owned teams will offer me. In the meantime, why don't you go check on Namar in the physio room or the aging Argentinian who can't find the back of the net"

Given your posting history there is a massive hypocrisy in you calling anyone an armchair fan.

Donā€™t think you even like football or know how itā€™s played, pure WUM.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #475: Jan 04, 2022 11:35:55 pm
      Would have cashed in on Keita and AOC two years ago - not sure how much we'll get for them now.

Origi I'd keep, has an eye for goal and gives us something a bit different, even if sporadic.

Gomez, doesn't seem to have progressed and has injury issues - if got good fee, would consider moving on. 50/50 on Joe.
      Would keep Phillips if Joe left. If Joe stays, maybe Nat might want to leave to play more regularly, would get decent money and would be hard to deny him the opportunity, seems 15mill is the going rate.

Taki, would have considered moving him on before now, but with the lads going to AFCON, maybe will get a bit if a run and might get to show a bit more than he has to date.

Firmino, would have considered moving him on in the summer. Last season we had the CB nitemare, but we also had a period in the new year where we couldn't hit a barn door up front, and talk of front three coming to an end. Jota is now imho ahead of Bob. Am huge fan of Firmino, and an in form and firing Bob starts ahead of Jota every time, but not sure if Bob will get back to that level. He might, hope he does.

Not sure Milner has another season in him, he might decide he wants to keep playing and drop to a lower level for next year. If he'd stayed I wouldn't argue, the lad is a top pro, but he'd be further down the pecking order.

If we could get Traore for 20mill, think JĆ¼rgen could work with him.
      Tielemans might also be someone JĆ¼rgen could develop.
      Gilmour and Gallagher look promising, but why would Chelsea let them go.
      What's happened Deli Ali, from looking like a player, dropped off the radar - could JĆ¼rgen work some magic..
      Coutinho on loan, would consider it in Jan.
      Eden Hazard, nah, too injury prone.
      Bowen/McGinn, not sure, hard workers though.
      Wirtz, havent seen much of him but sounds promising.
      Ruben Neves, not for me.
      Renato Sanches, used to like him but not so sure now.

Rice, Bellingham, Haaland, Mbappe etc - different bracket - v good players but talking BIG money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmRSYoWx5vY Here is a highlight glimpse of Florian Wirtz with the obligatory crappy music. These videos are wholly inadequate other than to give you just a little idea of what he's like.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #476: Jan 05, 2022 12:27:53 am
      Thatā€™s a different point to selling to regenerating the squad though mate no?

If we donā€™t sell a Salah, Mane or whoever at peak price we wonā€™t be given funds to replace them when the time comes

So my thinking is that JĆ¼rgen has a different approach to building and sustaining a winner. He sees football as a classic group effort, where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts (however that saying goes). He is about players playing their roles expertly (through superior and consistent training) and the intangibles of chemistry, psychology, good environment working together with all the quality play to produce something spectacular.

This invites a recruitment approach  quite different than the agent-driven megastar hunt that tends to dominate media coverage and fan interest. Remember when Mino Raiola said Klopp was a piece of sh*t? He was mad that JĆ¼rgen wasn't allowing Balotelli back into the squad, but also because he knows that if JĆ¼rgen's approach catches on, it will significantly cut into the gravy train for people like him. Agents make their money from transfers and that is why you see these galactico types move again and again and again - with a club's supposed ambition being measure on the sheer volume of gold they are willing to shell out to get said players.

That doesn't mean you don't want great players of course, just a certain kind of great player (and no jackasses). And again, these players have to fit into a supercharged team ethos under Klopp's direction. AS I mentioned before, a big part of that is allowing players to see out their entire contracts rather than looking at them as simply pawns in a financial game. I think the overwhelming majority of players we have sold were asking to be moved so they could play a greater role somewhere, while our regular starters have mostly been renewed or allowed to leave on a free. Put yourself in the shoes of a player with a family and that is going to be pretty meaningful and really enhance how you feel about the people you work with.

Look at all the players who at one point were regular starters but were allowed to see out their contract and leave on a free rather than being "cashed in on."

Alberto Moreno, Nathanael Clyne, Daniel Sturridge, Emre Can, Gini Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana. The club could have gotten something for each of these players a year earlier, but chose to let them stay and help them compete for trophies.

Look at the guys we sold, they were nearly all players on the outskirts of the first team, either because they didn't fit Klopp's system (like Benteke) or just didn't manage to crack the starting XI.

Christian Benteke, Danny Ings, Joe Allen, Mama Sakho, Dejan Lovren, Shaqiri, Danny Ward, Jordon Ibe and Simon Mignolet.

You also had promising youngsters like Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson, Rhian Brewster, Ryan Kent and Kijana Hoever.

The outlier to all of this of course if Phil Coutinho, but he is a unique situation in that he had his head turned by the sports marketing/sports agency gravy train and so Liverpool were left with no choice. It doesn't mean that the club buys players simply to sell them. With our top, starting players the pattern has been very much the opposite  - we buy them to keep them (at least for as long as they doing the business and helping promote the team's spirit. I bet if you compared our top 15 players re games played the average amount of time they have been with the club is longer than you'll see at other top clubs in England and Europe. Less turnover is a good thing. So we have guys who were here BEFORE JĆ¼rgen arrived like Henderson, Milner, Gomez, Bobby and Divock.

Now you still need money when the time comes to bring new players in, but the funds needed to buy those players comes from a number of sources, not just from players sold. The Nike revenue, the investment from the outside capital group as well as TV and other media revenue, will make a big difference when the time comes to buy - just remember our buys will always be precise strikes in the  market, not carpet bombing in the hopes of getting one or two who stick. It's not as sexy (or simple) for some fans and journos to understand, but judging by results, the whole thing can work (and that is allowing for the bigger purchases of Virgil and Ali and the still rather large purchases of Jota, Konate, Thiago, Mo, Sadio, Ox, Gini, Fab and Keita).

Add in some bargain buys like Robbo and Matip with young stars like Trent and hopefully Harvey Elliott and Tyler Morton and you are getting close to a well-rounded squad. It's not that it can't be improved upon, but you have to do it within this process. There's a lot of science to determine how long to sign a player for  (however long he is going to be making a difference for us. I fully expect Mo to get a renewal, but it may be that the management decide to let Sadio and Bobby see out their contracts, while lining up their replacements even now.

It's not the way journos and their agent friends and their bung-taking mediocre English managers depict building a winner, but so often the headlines of the big transfer linger longer than the muted detailing of players/teams not living up to expectations despite spending big. The approach of our manager, which has helped refine the approach of the owners, is a much more cultured, thoughtful, and in the end, promising model to build and sustain a winning team at Liverpool in the age of the state-owned football conglomerates we compete for trophies with.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #477: Jan 05, 2022 07:14:21 am
      So my thinking is that JĆ¼rgen has a different approach to building and sustaining a winner. He sees football as a classic group effort, where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts (however that saying goes). He is about players playing their roles expertly (through superior and consistent training) and the intangibles of chemistry, psychology, good environment working together with all the quality play to produce something spectacular.

This invites a recruitment approach  quite different than the agent-driven megastar hunt that tends to dominate media coverage and fan interest. Remember when Mino Raiola said Klopp was a piece of sh*t? He was mad that JĆ¼rgen wasn't allowing Balotelli back into the squad, but also because he knows that if JĆ¼rgen's approach catches on, it will significantly cut into the gravy train for people like him. Agents make their money from transfers and that is why you see these galactico types move again and again and again - with a club's supposed ambition being measure on the sheer volume of gold they are willing to shell out to get said players.

That doesn't mean you don't want great players of course, just a certain kind of great player (and no jackasses). And again, these players have to fit into a supercharged team ethos under Klopp's direction. AS I mentioned before, a big part of that is allowing players to see out their entire contracts rather than looking at them as simply pawns in a financial game. I think the overwhelming majority of players we have sold were asking to be moved so they could play a greater role somewhere, while our regular starters have mostly been renewed or allowed to leave on a free. Put yourself in the shoes of a player with a family and that is going to be pretty meaningful and really enhance how you feel about the people you work with.

Look at all the players who at one point were regular starters but were allowed to see out their contract and leave on a free rather than being "cashed in on."

Alberto Moreno, Nathanael Clyne, Daniel Sturridge, Emre Can, Gini Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana. The club could have gotten something for each of these players a year earlier, but chose to let them stay and help them compete for trophies.

Look at the guys we sold, they were nearly all players on the outskirts of the first team, either because they didn't fit Klopp's system (like Benteke) or just didn't manage to crack the starting XI.

Christian Benteke, Danny Ings, Joe Allen, Mama Sakho, Dejan Lovren, Shaqiri, Danny Ward, Jordon Ibe and Simon Mignolet.

You also had promising youngsters like Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson, Rhian Brewster, Ryan Kent and Kijana Hoever.

The outlier to all of this of course if Phil Coutinho, but he is a unique situation in that he had his head turned by the sports marketing/sports agency gravy train and so Liverpool were left with no choice. It doesn't mean that the club buys players simply to sell them. With our top, starting players the pattern has been very much the opposite  - we buy them to keep them (at least for as long as they doing the business and helping promote the team's spirit. I bet if you compared our top 15 players re games played the average amount of time they have been with the club is longer than you'll see at other top clubs in England and Europe. Less turnover is a good thing. So we have guys who were here BEFORE JĆ¼rgen arrived like Henderson, Milner, Gomez, Bobby and Divock.

Now you still need money when the time comes to bring new players in, but the funds needed to buy those players comes from a number of sources, not just from players sold. The Nike revenue, the investment from the outside capital group as well as TV and other media revenue, will make a big difference when the time comes to buy - just remember our buys will always be precise strikes in the  market, not carpet bombing in the hopes of getting one or two who stick. It's not as sexy (or simple) for some fans and journos to understand, but judging by results, the whole thing can work (and that is allowing for the bigger purchases of Virgil and Ali and the still rather large purchases of Jota, Konate, Thiago, Mo, Sadio, Ox, Gini, Fab and Keita).

Add in some bargain buys like Robbo and Matip with young stars like Trent and hopefully Harvey Elliott and Tyler Morton and you are getting close to a well-rounded squad. It's not that it can't be improved upon, but you have to do it within this process. There's a lot of science to determine how long to sign a player for  (however long he is going to be making a difference for us. I fully expect Mo to get a renewal, but it may be that the management decide to let Sadio and Bobby see out their contracts, while lining up their replacements even now.

It's not the way journos and their agent friends and their bung-taking mediocre English managers depict building a winner, but so often the headlines of the big transfer linger longer than the muted detailing of players/teams not living up to expectations despite spending big. The approach of our manager, which has helped refine the approach of the owners, is a much more cultured, thoughtful, and in the end, promising model to build and sustain a winning team at Liverpool in the age of the state-owned football conglomerates we compete for trophies with.

Superb post.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #478: Jan 05, 2022 07:17:46 am

Just an excellent post 👏👏👏👏
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #479: Jan 05, 2022 09:36:40 pm

Spot on Robby lad, well worth the read.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #480: Jan 14, 2022 09:51:37 am
      Bellingham or someone similar is the big one for me to add to this squad.

Chamberlain and Milner should be off this summer and likely followed by Minamino.

Add another forward there and get Salah signed up and we're still amount the best squads in Europe.

Still need to have an eye on the following year with Firmino and Mane progressing in years as well.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #481: Jan 14, 2022 10:49:55 am

Chamberlain and Milner should be off this summer and likely followed by Minamino.

Add another forward there and get Salah signed up and we're still amount the best squads in Europe.

Still need to have an eye on the following year with Firmino and Mane progressing in years as well.

You think we can go another year with Firmino and Mane going through barren runs?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #482: Jan 14, 2022 10:52:06 am

I think one of Mane and Bobby will leave - prob Bobby

Midfield- Milner will leave and then itā€™s potentially Ox

That would mean the club bringing in couple of mids and a forward with one of the mids being a more attacking player

Quick Reply