Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

First Team Squad 21/22

Read 44955 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Re: First Team Squad 21/22
      Reply #575: Feb 06, 2022 07:58:18 pm
      Didn't he get replaced by Arbeloa and then Johnson came in? The latter of the two was a pretty bad signing. Thought Degan was towards the end of his reign?

Finnan left in summer 2008. Degan joined the same month he left. Like you say, Arbeloa had already displaced Finnan. The real shocker was Arbeloa leaving in summer 2009 and being replaced by Glen Johnson - one of the worst defenders I've ever seen play for the club.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #576: Feb 07, 2022 08:36:22 am
      We can now challenge City. With Diaz & Elliott we are thick in midfield and attack (defense no problem anyway with Konate and Gomez as backups). In summer it will be enough to get some younger prospects like Carvalho.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #577: Feb 07, 2022 09:07:40 am
      Squad is probably the biggest & strongest its ever been.

Very rare to be still in all 4 comps in february and be in with a chance of actually winning them.

especially considering Afcon & the MF injuries we have had.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #578: Feb 07, 2022 10:00:26 am
      Squad is stacked with quality now.

Best I've ever seen.

We only need to sign Bellingham and Carvalho in the Summer and we will be frightening.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #579: Feb 07, 2022 10:02:20 am

Best I've ever seen.

We only need to sign Bellingham and Carvalho in the Summer and we will be frightening.

Its even better knowing how good the young lads that are coming through the academy are.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #580: Feb 07, 2022 03:26:46 pm

Best I've ever seen.

The squad has never lacked quality, it's just that injuries hit us hard for a while, particularly as serious as Elliott's was, but our depth players stepped up showing the quality we have from 1 to 25. Diaz is icing on the cake, though with all the players we already have his impact may not be as significant as he gets more bedded into the team/system.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #581: Feb 07, 2022 03:27:39 pm
      Its even better knowing how good the young lads that are coming through the academy are.

100%. I'd like to see Gordon and Morton be part of the main squad next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #582: Feb 07, 2022 03:33:25 pm
      100%. I'd like to see Gordon and Morton be part of the main squad next season.

Defo.

This wont be popular with the folk that want 100mill backup players ;D. but Id say Morton could be considered to take Milners place in the squad next season.

And Gordon possibly Origi's spot.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #583: Feb 07, 2022 03:48:13 pm
      Defo.

This wont be popular with the folk that want 100mill backup players ;D. but Id say Morton could be considered to take Milners place in the squad next season.

And Gordon possibly Origi's spot.

Yup, replacing Milner and Big Div with Morton and Gordon will cause a lot of consternation, just like it did when we gave Gini's spot to $6M Elliott. We'll hear how we lack ambition, don't back Jürgen, that he'll have to perform miracles to compete in the different competitions, and as soon as we drop points how we should have replaced Milner.

A midfield next year of Fabinho, Thiago, Morton, Keita, Hendo, Carvalho, Jones and Elliott would be an amazing mix of youth and experience.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2022 03:55:11 pm by CT_LFC »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #584: Feb 07, 2022 03:55:13 pm
      Yup, replacing Milner and Big Div with Morton and Gordon will cause a lot of consternation, just like it did when we gave Gini's spot to $6M Elliott.

A midfield next year of Fabinho, Thiago, Morton, Keita, Hendo, Carvalho, Jones and Elliott would be an amazing mix of youth and experience.

Its very strong. Just the old Injury prone argument with kieta, thiago and even hendo.

I suspect we may be in the market for a senior defensive minded MF player.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #585: Feb 07, 2022 04:10:24 pm
      Its very strong. Just the old Injury prone argument with kieta, thiago and even hendo.

Don't disagree about the injuries, but the players we'd be replacing  (Milner and Ox) don't play major roles on the team. We already know how much Jürgen trusts Elliott, and how Jones progresses and the trust Jürgen has in him may play a factor in whether we do go for an experienced midfielder or not.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #586: Feb 07, 2022 04:59:29 pm
      Don't disagree about the injuries, but the players we'd be replacing  (Milner and Ox) don't play major roles on the team. We already know how much Jürgen trusts Elliott, and how Jones progresses and the trust Jürgen has in him may play a factor in whether we do go for an experienced midfielder or not.

Oh defo.

I do wonder though if OX might stick around for another season at least, and he actually hasn't been Injured much over past year or so, its just been building match fitness back up.

Its just whether he wants to start every week for somebody else.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #587: Feb 09, 2022 08:11:42 am
      Oh defo.

I do wonder though if OX might stick around for another season at least, and he actually hasn't been Injured much over past year or so, its just been building match fitness back up.

Its just whether he wants to start every week for somebody else.

He has been decent recently, if he's willing to try again, I don't see why we should not give him a chance.
      He has scored some important goals lately too. I always like him and wished him success here. I think he just needs the proper opportunities. He plays a good game or two and then he's replaced by whoever is back from injury.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #588: Feb 09, 2022 08:40:24 am
      He has been decent recently, if he's willing to try again, I don't see why we should not give him a chance.
      He has scored some important goals lately too. I always like him and wished him success here. I think he just needs the proper opportunities. He plays a good game or two and then he's replaced by whoever is back from injury.

Defo.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #589: Feb 09, 2022 11:09:37 am

Yes! Spending money always gets me excited. Never mind if we spend wrongly. We just spend more to cover our wrong acquisitions. ;D you get me excited there!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #590: Feb 09, 2022 11:37:31 am
      Yes! Spending money always gets me excited. Never mind if we spend wrongly. We just spend more to cover our wrong acquisitions. ;D you get me excited there!

:lmao: spend spend spend way of the world.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #591: Feb 09, 2022 12:08:32 pm
      :lmao: spend spend spend way of the world.

Till we can't keep up with those oil sheikhs who are richer than us. Me feels like we can fake it in the short term but can't keep up over the long term. Gotta spend smart and not be foolish...
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2022 12:15:11 pm by ruthcity »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #592: Feb 09, 2022 12:36:53 pm
      Till we can't keep up with those oil sheikhs who are richer than us. Me feels like we can fake it in the short term but can't keep up over the long term. Gotta spend smart and not be foolish...

Exactly.

And tbf we have been spending smart for a while now.

Long may it continue.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #593: Feb 09, 2022 01:41:05 pm

And that's only going to get worse for him next season, IMO, so he would likely be open to going somewhere to play more regularly, which we have seen he needs to play well.

As it is he'll definitely be behind Thiago, Naby, Elliott and Hendo for the other 2 starting spots in front of Fab. Would expect Jones to also be in front of him and if Carvalho arrives i expect would also jump Ox in the depth chart once he's up and running with the system. He'll basically be our last midfielder in terms of starting option.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #594: Feb 09, 2022 11:50:30 pm
      Tell you what guys if we got Bowen and Carvalho in the summer I'd not even give Bellingham a second thought to be honest.

I'd say Chamberlain, Milner and Origi will be off at the very least.

Morton and Gordon to get more minutes.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #595: Feb 10, 2022 10:08:20 pm
      Just wanted to use my 1000th post to say that I absolutely love this team!   :) :kop5cf8koxp6:

YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #596: Feb 10, 2022 10:52:36 pm
      Squad is looking in great shape isn't it! We've got a decent back up Keeper, Tsimikas has been pushing Robbo, We have 4 centre-halves! In midfield we are loaded now with Elliot and Thiago returning and have seen some good performance from Ox over the last couple of months (all 6/7 of them have played well at times this season). Then you add the options of Jota, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Diaz and Divock up top.

The only spot we don't have adequate cover is at RB.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #597: Feb 10, 2022 10:55:15 pm
      Squad is looking in great shape isn't it! We've got a decent back up Keeper, Tsimikas has been pushing Robbo, We have 4 centre-halves! In midfield we are loaded now with Elliot and Thiago returning and have seen some good performance from Ox over the last couple of months (all 6/7 of them have played well at times this season). Then you add the options of Jota, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Diaz and Divock up top.

The only spot we don't have adequate cover is at RB.

Conor Bradley might be the next Trent?

Quick Reply