Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley Sat 21st Aug 12:30pm

Read 3091 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley Sat 21st Aug 12:30pm
      Aug 20, 2021 04:18:26 pm
      Burnley have fared well on their past two visits to Anfield – ending Liverpool’s club record run of 68 home games unbeaten last season and emerging as the only visitors to avoid defeat during the host’s title-winning campaign the season before.

Both matches, however, were played behind closed doors and the first full capacity Anfield crowd in 17 months will be keen to make its presence felt once again.

The game also marks the meeting of the two longest serving current managers in the Premier League

Last season at Anfield - Liverpool 0-1 Burnley.  Burnley ending Liverpool's 3 and a half year unbeaten home record and we all know what would happen after that game.  Implosion followed by something of a resurrection in the last six or so weeks of the season.

Guardian expects these line ups.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley Sat 21st Aug 12:30pm
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2021 04:23:19 pm
      Klopp pre-match press conference

On playing in front of a capacity Anfield:

"Everyone is looking forward to it - usually when you sign for Liverpool one of the first things you are waiting for is your first game at Anfield to feel and experience the atmosphere. Everyone tells you about it but you don't know until you've felt or experienced it. For everyone it's a special moment. We can't wait, this place is special and we're really happy to have it back."

Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp on comparison's between Liverpool's Kop and Dortmund's Yellow Wall:
      "Incredibly important for the club. They are the benchmark for the club. The thing I love these two stands is when you go there, when you are on the Kop or Yellow Wall, you go there just for football. I can't wait to feel this connection again.

"We were really blessed at Dortmund and we are blessed here with a really good crowd. Before I arrived here fans thought about leaving early to get to the car park but now in this moment everybody wants to enjoy each second in the stadium and we all have to play our part in that."

Jürgen Klopp says there are no developments on captain Jordan Henderson's contract at the moment.

On the return of Virgil Van Dijk:
      "I wasn't impressed in a surprised way - he had a four and a half week pre season. He played like he trained last week so we're really happy to have him back."

On Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Very valuable, all about being available and using the momentum - that's football. Without luck in life you are often on the wrong side of things and when you get injured in the wrong moment the football train never waits so we have to keep them in the best shape. The quality of the players has never been in doubt. Great to have them - when you get the chance you better use it. It will not be the last time. There are a lot of good players in our squad and we will change them when necessary."
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2021 07:46:30 pm
      Hate this anti football crew. Their fans no doubt want a win every time they play, but if I had to watch that sh*te from my team every game, I’d certainly consider another sport to follow.
      I think we are all on top of our game at the moment, fit and sharp, snd have the crowd behind us again.
      Can’t see anything but a win snd three points.
      Come on you red men. Show these clowns last season was a fluke !
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3: Aug 20, 2021 07:59:39 pm
      Can’t wait for this
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #4: Aug 20, 2021 08:20:44 pm
      Bobby has looked really fit and sharp since he arrived back from summer break.  I hope he is in the starting 11, but not at the expense of Jota.  We are going to need to rotate the front 3 regularly to keep legs fresh, so I'm hoping to see Bobby, Jota, and Salah start the match with Mane coming on for Mo sometime in the 2nd half. 

I'd also like to see Thiago and Hendo come in for Milner and either Ox/Naby.  Again, rotation will be key so I'm hoping to see 1 fresh face in the midfield with each passing game. 

If it was me, I'd go with:

Ali
      TAA -- Matip - VVD -- Tsimi
      Hendo -- Thiago
      Ox
      Salah -- Bobby -- Jota

Naby on for Ox around 60 minutes
      Mane on for Mo around 70 minutes
      Elliot / Jones on for anyone around 75-80 minutes

Going 3-0 for the Reds.  Salah, Bobby, and Jota each with a goal and assist
      rossyred

• 9,099 posts | 1638 
      Reply #5: Aug 20, 2021 09:00:18 pm
      Surprised if both Thiago and Hendo start but might be one of them. Keita to start again possibly replace Ox with Thiago same three up top
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Aug 20, 2021 09:12:26 pm
      Would start same again at the back and up top. But in the middle drop Ox out and bring in one or two from Fab/Hendo/Thiago. Keep Keita and possibly Milner too, depending on who comes in from the three. Know Fab's Dad died, so not sure if he's going back there or what's happening.
      First home game of the season, really looking forward to it :)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #7: Aug 20, 2021 09:32:47 pm
      With the crowd behind the Reds tomorrow, nothing less than a comfortable home win against Burnley, is on the cards, to my mind.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Aug 20, 2021 09:36:16 pm
      I think there are a couple of teams that last seasons result will be addressed this season, Burnley as  a starter..
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #9: Aug 20, 2021 10:10:50 pm
      Nice early goal needed for this one. We need to bury this bus early doors. Ohh and hope Juergen nuts Dyche right in the chops at the full time whistle.   :stress_h4h:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2021 10:12:51 pm
      Only change I would make is slot Milner out for either Thiago/Hendo.

Really looking forward to seeing a full Anfield crowd singing and cheering 😀
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #11: Aug 20, 2021 10:45:11 pm
      Back 5 picks itself. Continue to roll with Matip-VVD and wait to ease Konate into League Cup games initially to give him time to settle.

Fabinho would be an automatic pick but in his absence it has to be Henderson in the no.6 position. His height and defensive nous will be essential against a big Burnley side.

Keita keeps his place after a good 1st game where he had 31 pressing actions, by far the best on both teams.

The main question is who to start in the other midfield spot. I think Klopp will have wanted to start with Fabinho/Henderson/Keita and then have Thiago come on for one of Keita or Henderson. But without Fabinho that plan doesn't work. I'd probably lean away from starting both Henderson and Thiago, so Thiago can start on the bench. This will be a game of a lot of possession so I could see the logic in going with Ox over Milner even though Ox didn't have a great game against Norwich, simply to add a long range shooting threat and the penetrative threat from midfield that he offers. Having Milner on the bench also means you can have a fresh Milner to come off the bench for Henderson in the 6 role if he starts to show fatigue.

Up front Salah and Mane are obvious choices. There's a debate about who to start between Firmino and Jota, and personally I'd go with Firmino to start this one, mainly because I want him to get more minutes into him ahead of a start against Chelsea next week.

Alisson

Trent   Matip   VVD   Tsimikas

Henderson

Ox       Keita

Salah      Firmino        Mane

Bench: Kelleher; Gomez, Konate; Milner, Thiago, Elliott; Jota, Minamino, Origi
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2021 01:40:51 am
      I’d be surprised if Ox started. I thought Norwich was a good chance for him to prove that the space in the team is arguably his at the moment, a chance to really hit the ground running but on the whole he disappointed. He was anonymous for most of the time he was on the pitch from what I remember.

Hopefully a 3 of Hendo, Thiago and Keita but whether it will be or not is anyone’s guess. Much like who partners Virgil.

But it makes a nice change to finally have a number of options again, even early on last season I don’t remember having so many players available?
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2021 01:56:51 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2021 02:17:22 am

Alisson

TAA
      Matip
      VVD
      Tsimikas

Hendo
      Keita
      Ox

Salah
      Bobby
      Mane

I didn’t think Ox was very good last weekend but this is a home game against a defensive-minded side so I’d give him another shot.

If Fabinho was available then I would have have considered partnering him up with Keita and gone 4231 with the usual 4 up top.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2021 03:07:07 am
      I’d be surprised if Ox started. I thought Norwich was a good chance for him to prove that the space in the team is arguably his at the moment, a chance to really hit the ground running but on the whole he disappointed. He was anonymous for most of the time he was on the pitch from what I remember.

Hopefully a 3 of Hendo, Thiago and Keita but whether it will be or not is anyone’s guess. Much like who partners Virgil.

But it makes a nice change to finally have a number of options again, even early on last season I don’t remember having so many players available?
      You're right, Ox did have a bad game against Norwich, and likely wouldn't have been in Klopp's thoughts for starting against Burnley on the back of that.

However, with Fabinho being out that means that you're suddenly forced to play Henderson in the 6. Do you then want to start Thiago as well, bearing in mind that neither Henderson or Thiago have even come off the bench in the PL yet. I think Klopp plays it a bit safe to protect Thiago a bit more, and therefore the choice comes down to Milner and Ox. Milner would be a more combative choice, but in a game where we should see close to 70% possession you'd think Ox would provide more creativity and goal threat than Milner. Hence Ox is the natural choice.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2021 06:49:00 am
      I’m not so sure Hendo is ready just yet, it is early in the season and we are at home, Milner hasn’t the legs to play at DM, Thiago akin to a fish on a bike, so I’d be tempted to use Gomez as DM, he’s quick strong and can read the game well,and can tackle obviously, and it’s against Burnley so won’t be too taxing, I can feel  you all raising your eyebrows or maybe screwing your noses up but why not I ask, nobody ever saw Gini in the same position last season but he did !

Alisson
                     Trent   Matip   Virgil   Kostas
                                    Gomez
                         Thiago             Keita
                                    Bobby
                        Salah                 Mane

If we do need to experiment then now is the time to try, but it’s more than likely Hendo will be used even though it won’t be for the whole 90+, but I do like the idea of Gomez as a option especially if you consider the history of injury with Jordan, so having cover for Fabinho isn’t such a bad thing is it ?

Anyhoo, Anfield will be absolutely F***ing bouncing today and that atmosphere will obviously spill over onto the pitch, I feel sorry for Burnley already, ……..Like F**k I do ! owe these cu*ts a proper battering, of course only one winner for me, question is.. by how much ?

Never got out of third gear last week V Norwich, didn’t need to, slightly different this week, but still, don’t envisage any problem!

4-0 Champions elect

Y  N  W  A
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2021 07:59:24 am
      This lot are one horrible side to play against,so much so that the last time I seen that many donkeys was on Blackpool beach but we Should have more than  enough to beat the dirty shower .3.0.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2021 08:25:28 am
      Got a poor record against these at home lately needs changing today
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2021 08:52:40 am
      If we do need to experiment then now is the time to try, but it’s more than likely Hendo will be used even though it won’t be for the whole 90+, but I do like the idea of Gomez as a option especially if you consider the history of injury with Jordan, so having cover for Fabinho isn’t such a bad thing is it ?

Don't see much chance of Joe starting in midfield today :) - but like the idea of it in general, looking at how players might do in other positions. People might not agree with who could play where, but why rule out trying a *quality* player in another position.

Like, right now we have 4 really good CBs fit.  Not trying to bash Kostas, but with Robbo out, could Gomez [who was a FB] do a better job there. Suppose could depend on whether you want to defend more than attack.

You like Joe for the middle, I'd be curious to see how would do Joel there, carries the ball well, quick enough, tall.

I'm not a fan of Ox in the middle for most games anymore, but think he could be effective in the front 3 - would be worse there than Origi/Shaq?

We've seen Fab can play at CB. Milner at FB.

Don't think it's as off the wall as some might think.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2021 08:53:48 am
              Alisson
      TAA Matip VVD Milner
      Hendo Fab/Thiago Keita
        Salah Jota Mane

Though think Bob must be pushing Jota pretty close.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2021 09:02:18 am
      I think there are a couple of teams that last seasons result will be addressed this season, Burnley as  a starter..

A couple? F***ing loads mate
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2021 09:03:34 am
      I’m not so sure Hendo is ready just yet, it is early in the season and we are at home, Milner hasn’t the legs to play at DM, Thiago akin to a fish on a bike, so I’d be tempted to use Gomez as DM, he’s quick strong and can read the game well,and can tackle obviously, and it’s against Burnley so won’t be too taxing, I can feel  you all raising your eyebrows or maybe screwing your noses up but why not I ask, nobody ever saw Gini in the same position last season but he did !

Alisson
                     Trent   Matip   Virgil   Kostas
                                    Gomez
                         Thiago             Keita
                                    Bobby
                        Salah                 Mane

Anyhoo, Anfield will be absolutely f**king bouncing today and that atmosphere will obviously spill over onto the pitch, I feel sorry for Burnley already, ……..Like f**k I do ! owe these cu*ts a proper battering, of course only one winner for me, question is.. by how much ?

Never got out of third gear last week V Norwich, didn’t need to, slightly different this week, but still, don’t envisage any problem!

4-0 Champions elect

Y  N  W  A

No chance, F**k that - get Jota, Firmino, Salah and Mane on the same playing field
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2021 09:23:23 am
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2021 09:31:00 am by AlwaysTheKop »

Quick Reply