Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley Sat 21st Aug 12:30pm

Read 3078 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley Sat 21st Aug 12:30pm
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2021 09:48:41 am
      We need this to create a good momentum.

We need the fans to revenge on them for win at empty Anfield.

I won't create the Live thread because I would be at lunch for my first Anniversary.

Hope to be back for the match.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #24: Aug 21, 2021 09:48:54 am
      Wonder if we might be tempted to get all four main attackers on the pitch today from the start.

To whoever's going, sing your hearts out! Give the players a taste of what it's going to be like in May when we're winning it all.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #25: Aug 21, 2021 10:14:31 am
      Don't see much chance of Joe starting in midfield today :) - but like the idea of it in general, looking at how players might do in other positions. People might not agree with who could play where, but why rule out trying a *quality* player in another position.

Like, right now we have 4 really good CBs fit.  Not trying to bash Kostas, but with Robbo out, could Gomez [who was a FB] do a better job there. Suppose could depend on whether you want to defend more than attack.

You like Joe for the middle, I'd be curious to see how would do Joel there, carries the ball well, quick enough, tall.

I'm not a fan of Ox in the middle for most games anymore, but think he could be effective in the front 3 - would be worse there than Origi/Shaq?

We've seen Fab can play at CB. Milner at FB.

Don't think it's as off the wall as some might think.
      I don't mind trying players in different positions, but Gomez isn't a midfielder.

DM is a challenging position to play in Klopp's system due to all the positioning and pressing actions among other things, hence it took Fabinho 3-4 months to get up to speed when he joined the club.

Having Fabinho move from DM to CB is much easier than the reverse, due to the tactical complexity of the role.

As for Marip, I think he did play a couple of games at DM for Schalke back in the day, but again I doubt we'll see an out-and-out CB playing midfield anytime soon. Klopp has tended to push more attacking players back in the lineup, as in, he's far more likely to put an attacking midfielder like Wijnaldum at DM than he is pushing a CB forward. Ox and Elliott are other examples of Klopp pushing attacking talent 'back' in the lineup to get more skill and goals into the team.

Regarding Ox, the issue with him in the front 3 is that his goal output is rather mediocre, certainly when compared to the 'fab 4' up front, which is why Klopp wants him at CM rather than in one of the three attacking positions where goals are expected regularly.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26: Aug 21, 2021 10:17:27 am
      Really looking forward to the game, can’t wait to see the team again..👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #27: Aug 21, 2021 10:19:20 am
      Wonder if we might be tempted to get all four main attackers on the pitch today from the start.

To whoever's going, sing your hearts out! Give the players a taste of what it's going to be like in May when we're winning it all.
      It's an interesting idea for sure. That said, I'd imagine that Klopp is keen to keep the team pretty close to the team that will start against Chelsea next week, at least in terms of formation if not personnel, so as to minimise disruption and confusion early in the season when players are still getting up to speed.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #28: Aug 21, 2021 10:37:13 am
      Playing hoof ball when we had disruption at cb last season payed dividends for these tossers. Back at full strength there, we should be back to normal service.
      All ways a possible hiccup against their bully boy traits but we should have too much for them all over the pitch.
      Hi tempo, high pressure, be aware of the sky ball counter looking for the flick on (their only noticeable tactic) and we should be looking at a comfortable 3:0 win !
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Aug 21, 2021 10:43:17 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would play Firmino as attacking midfield to keep Jota in the line-up.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #30: Aug 21, 2021 10:45:02 am
      In the last 5 games against Burnley at Anfield we've won only twice, with two draws and a loss. The scoreline in the Norwich game was larger than xG suggests (2 Vs 1.4).

With that in mind I'm somewhat surprised seeing most people predict 3 and 4 goal scorelines. A hard-fought low-scoring game is the likeliest outcome given how difficult Burnley make it to play.

I'm going for a professional but unspectacular 2-0 win.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31: Aug 21, 2021 10:47:59 am
      Feeling like a kid at Christmas here, just about to head down the ground.

C'mon you Reds!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #32: Aug 21, 2021 10:56:58 am
              Alisson
      TAA Matip VVD Milner
      Hendo Fab/Thiago Keita
        Salah Jota Mane

Though think Bob must be pushing Jota pretty close.

To be honest, if we opt for Milner at LB over Kostas then we’d may as well sell Kostas. Don’t think it will happen.

Early kick off so it’s either going to get the weekend off to a good start or it’s going to ruin it. Must win game so early on with City already behind.

Last season Burnley ruined our unbeaten run at home and set us hope for that horrific run of form. The worst thing wasn’t even the defeat, it was the fact we lost due to a penalty that Barnes won by diving and VAR again got it wrong.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #33: Aug 21, 2021 10:59:31 am
      To be honest, if we opt for Milner at LB over Kostas then we’d may as well sell Kostas. Don’t think it will happen.

Early kick off so it’s either going to get the weekend off to a good start or it’s going to ruin it. Must win game so early on with City already behind.

Last season Burnley ruined our unbeaten run at home and set us hope for that horrific run of form. The worst thing wasn’t even the defeat, it was the fact we lost due to a penalty that Barnes won by diving and VAR again got it wrong.
      Tsimikas' ability to cross the ball well on his left foot will be an important ingredient to breaking Burnley down. With Milner at LB much of that wide threat is lost, so it's very unlikely that he'll start at LB unless Tsimikas is hurt.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Aug 21, 2021 11:02:00 am
      Tsimikas' ability to cross the ball well on his left foot will be an important ingredient to breaking Burnley down. With Milner at LB much of that wide threat is lost, so it's very unlikely that he'll start at LB unless Tsimikas is hurt.

Even if Kostas was to suddenly be ruled out I can’t see Milly being at LB, think it would be Gomez.
      Think Milly’s days of playing at RB or LB are over.

Milly was much like Ox last week, anonymous IMO and didn’t offer anything that warrants a start this week ahead of other options/returning players.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #35: Aug 21, 2021 11:09:27 am

C'mon you Reds!!

Lucky bugger.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #36: Aug 21, 2021 11:10:46 am
      Even if Kostas was to suddenly be ruled out I can’t see Milly being at LB, think it would be Gomez.
      Think Milly’s days of playing at RB or LB are over.

Milly was much like Ox last week, anonymous IMO and didn’t offer anything that warrants a start this week ahead of other options/returning players.
      I think the days of Gomez at LB ended a long time ago. Milner is clearly the 3rd choice LB/RB given that he's more skilled in attack than Gomez.

Under Rodgers the fullbacks didn't have as much emphasis on crossing and posing an attacking threat, that's why we had Clyne at RB who was a far better defender than attacker. It was easier to get away with a CB with limited attacking threat like Gomez at fullback back then, but Gomez at fullback would stand out like a sore thumb at fullback now, especially on his off foot.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #37: Aug 21, 2021 11:15:02 am
      Looking forward to heads exploding at the team…
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #38: Aug 21, 2021 11:22:06 am

Enjoy kidda.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #39: Aug 21, 2021 11:28:56 am
      Rumours of young Harvey starting. Would be massive for the lad in front of a packed Anfield.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #40: Aug 21, 2021 11:32:19 am
      robertson on the bench haha, mans a machine
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41: Aug 21, 2021 11:33:11 am
      HARVEY
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #42: Aug 21, 2021 11:34:33 am
      Rumours of young Harvey starting. Would be massive for the lad in front of a packed Anfield.
      Love it!

Alisson
      Trent Matip VVD Tsimikas
               Henderson
           Elliott      Keita
      Salah    Jota     Mane

Would have had Firmino in for Jota but that's splitting hairs as they're both very good.

Happy to see Elliott start for the first time, this should be a good game for Elliott in front of the home crowd and against a team that will concede possession.

Quick Reply