Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson Becker
      4 (4.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      11 (12.5%)
      Joel Matip
      15 (17%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (5.7%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      32 (36.4%)
      Harvey Elliott
      12 (13.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.1%)
      Diogo Jota
      5 (5.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: Aug 25, 2021 02:24:01 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11665 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Aug 21, 2021 03:54:35 pm
      Hilarious how Gudmunsen didn't even get a yellow for the judo tackle on Jota. Since when is a bear hug and martial arts allowed?  :lmao:

That c**t of a Ref is awfull
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #277: Aug 21, 2021 04:06:29 pm
      Good performance all around I thought. Could have controlled the game a bit better at times but overall it was quite comfortable, which you don't often say when you play Burnley.

He wasn't MoM but special shout out to Elliot, just 18 years old and he handled a tough game exceptionally well all things considering.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #278: Aug 21, 2021 04:17:01 pm
      2nd half really bossed it, Sean dyke did not look happy 😂 he would argue with his own shadow. Stand out performances for me were Virgil, Matip, and Elliot, voted Virgil motm, amazing how well he is playing after being so long out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #279: Aug 21, 2021 04:22:43 pm
      That 2 clean sheets in a row..?
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #280: Aug 21, 2021 04:39:50 pm
      Trent had 7 key passes, Tsimikas had 4. That's pretty good.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #281: Aug 21, 2021 04:53:43 pm
      Would like Burnley to get relegated this season. Fed up of their crappy style of play.

Pope time wasting after 5 mins, the constant fouls, Gudmondson holding his face trying to con the ref when Kostas didn’t even touch his face.

Mo unlucky not to score; cleared off the line and Mane could’ve played him in but turned back on himself instead.

Good enough performance against a dog of a team. Alisson looking really good and full of confidence again with a proper defence in front of him. Elliott, Kostas, Keita etc all done well.

Just need to be more clinical. But 6/6, 2 clean sheets and can relax for the weekend now knowing any rival teams dropping points is a bonus. Job done until the Chavs next week.

And not forgetting what Ben Mee did to Joe Gomez.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #282: Aug 21, 2021 04:57:48 pm
      Yea Kostas has done well so far, but Robbo comes back in when fit.
      Elliot did well, and should improve with games. Keita did fine, and was great to have Hendo back.
      Agree we lost a bit of shape when the subs came on, Thiago gave the ball away a couple of times to give them breaks, but it was a fast game and he hasn't played.

Defense in general was really good, I'd probably shade it to VVD based on some of his forward passes, but Matip was great aswell. Brilliant to have them both back :)  And to see Joe come on even for a few mins.

Yeah can't be too hard on Thiago, having just come on for his first touches of the season. That wee cheeky run he went on was lovely as well. Him and Bobby giving it away did give them encouragement though, so Jürgen will no doubt have noted that, even if it is not too big a deal. Compeptition for places means Jürgen can afford to be demanding.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #283: Aug 21, 2021 05:07:32 pm
      Pretty good performance. We created a ton of chances and could have scored more. We had periods where we lacked control, but it was a pretty routine victory.

I thought that every player did well today. Trent was my MOTM. He has been in great form since getting dropped from the Ingerland squad and at this moment in time I would say he’s a top 10 player in the league.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #284: Aug 21, 2021 05:13:25 pm
      We are so lucky to have Jürgen Klopp. I’m not sure if we watched the same game. I thought the performance was well orchestrated as with our first game. The players did train hard and the moves were well oiled, bar some lapses. Keep this up and we’ll be top three thereabouts at the end of the season.

I’m so grateful that Jürgen walked in, appointed himself and took control of the manager’s office when Kenny was caretaker manager. He is our miracle man. The rest is history as some might say…
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #285: Aug 21, 2021 05:19:36 pm
      Joel Matip is world class and nobody can tell me otherwise. He is legitimately one of the best defenders in the world, and I will go as far as saying he might be the most underrated player in the world. A lot of our fans don’t think he’s world class, and a lot of opposition fans have no idea how good he is. It’s such a shame that he has had so many injury issues.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #286: Aug 21, 2021 05:28:53 pm
      What a result. Well earned too.

Keep it up. Hope to build on it and beat the blue sh*t next Saturday.

I would like to mention Tsimikas, Elliott, Trent, Vvd and Jota as the stand out.

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #287: Aug 21, 2021 05:35:17 pm
      Good win today. I was delighted to see Elliott start, linking up with Salah and Trent nicely. A few more games and he will improve even more. Thought Kostas played well. Great to see Hendo back. Best of all was to see a full stadium.

YNWA
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #288: Aug 21, 2021 05:56:22 pm
      Good performance from the guys, better decision making and finishing in the final third we would of won by 4 or 5 and made things a little easier on ourselves.

Tsimikas/TAA both were very dangerous and providing a lot of problems in the wide areas and really enjoy Jota not shying away from Burnely boys really sticking it in on him, in fact he got a little bit of a temper on him but rather see that then shy away.

Glad no one got hurt and looking forward to Chelsea match.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #289: Aug 21, 2021 06:36:52 pm
      Only just managed to watch it:
      Got better as the game went on.
      We are looking more like our champions season.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #290: Aug 21, 2021 08:03:13 pm
      Did not see the game, a 2  0 victory, seemingly a satisfactory result. Obviously great to have a full crowd back, cheering the side on.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #291: Aug 21, 2021 08:07:01 pm
      What a result. Well earned too.

Keep it up. Hope to build on it and beat the blue sh*t next Saturday.

I would like to mention Tsimikas, Elliott, Trent, Vvd and Jota as the stand out.

Missed your thread-starter today. I hope you haven't permanently retired from those.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #292: Aug 21, 2021 08:48:45 pm
      Watched the match being absolutely full of emotion today as the news filtered through that my sister had died during the early hours this morning, me and my Mum dedicated the win to her, she'd of been made up with that result today with a full Anfield crowd.

RIP Sue You Will Never Walk Alone  :'(
      +16
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #293: Aug 21, 2021 08:49:57 pm
      Watched the match being absolutely full of emotion today as the news filtered through that my sister had died during the early hours this morning, me and my Mum dedicated the win to her, she'd of been made up with that result today with a full Anfield crowd.

So sorry for your Loss
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #294: Aug 21, 2021 09:04:03 pm

WOW, Thats a massive statement to make after a match. So sorry for you and your family. Hope you cope well in the coming days. My condolences to all.
      Y.N.W.A.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #295: Aug 21, 2021 09:17:33 pm
      True. Ox is probably gone in January if he wants regular football, just like Shaq.

In our midfield Hendo and Fab are set, but then honestly I‘d already play Elliott before! Keita before Thiago/Jones.
      Klopp doesn't have a significant history of sending established first team players out on loan in the middle of the season in January. 

As listed below, in the last 4 years the only players to go on loan in January as first team players were Minamino, Clyne, and Sturridge. Brewster, Grujic, Phillips, etc also went on loans in January but none of those could be considered first team regulars at the time of the loan.

January 2021
      • Minamino to Southampton
        Van den Berg to Preston

January 2020

Brewster to Swansea
        Phillips to Stuttgart

January 2019
      • Clyne to Bournemouth
        Grabara to AGF
        Ejaria to Reading
        Awoniyi to Royal Excel Mouscron
        Chirivella to Extremadura
        Allan to Fluminense

January 2018
      • Kent to Bristol City
        Grujic to Cardiff
        Sturridge to WBA
        Ejaria to Sunderland
        Wilson to Hull
        Markovic to Anderlecht
        Flanagan to Bolton

As for the aforementioned trio, Clyne was on his way out and Klopp had clearly decided by then that Trent was his man at RB. Due to injuries Sturridge had fallen down the pecking order at Liverpool and so being sent out on loan mid-season did not significantly impact the team on the pitch. Minamino is perhaps the best example, but even he had extenuating circumstances being that he was completely new to English football and simply needed to get games to adapt to the PL quicker.

All that is to say that it seems highly unlikely that Klopp would sanction a move where he weakens his first team squad halfway through the season, especially considering that AFCON will take Keita, Salah, and Mane and that Ox would likely be the player deputising for one of them in their absence, either in CM or on the wing.

EDIT: I suppose Ox could be sold in January instead of loaned, but then again Coutinho is the only notable first team player to have been sold in January in recent windows, and that was done in conjunction with the Van Dijk signing the same week so is obviously an outlier. Both the Coutinho and VVD transfer sagas played a big part in those deals only being done in January rather than in the summer too.

All that to say that Klopp and Edwards clearly have a strong preference for getting business done early in the summer and keeping the team together for the full season.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2021 09:24:02 pm by Richard88 »
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #296: Aug 21, 2021 09:27:56 pm

So very sorry for your loss. I can only hope our Reds managed to distract you today, even just for a little bit.
      It's not worth much, but I'm sending you a massive virtual hug.

YNWA
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #297: Aug 21, 2021 09:31:46 pm

WOW, Thats a massive statement to make after a match. So sorry for you and your family. Hope you cope well in the coming days. My condolences to all.
      Y.N.W.A.

So very sorry for your loss. I can only hope our Reds managed to distract you today, even just for a little bit.
      It's not worth much, but I'm sending you a massive virtual hug.

YNWA

Thank you to you, my RED family for your support, what would I do without you, means everything xx

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #298: Aug 21, 2021 09:56:13 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss Cas, my heart goes out to you.

You'll Never Walk Alone - I'm sure those stars shine brighter for her presence now.

Quick Reply