Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Terry McDermott

Read 4322 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Terry McDermott
      Aug 21, 2021 10:45:47 pm
      Liverpool legend Terry McDermott has confirmed he has been diagnosed with dementia.

The 69-year-old, who made 329 appearances and scored 81 goals for the Reds between 1974 and 1982, has announced he is in the early stages of Lewy Body dementia following hospital tests.

McDermott said: ā€œIā€™ve got to get on with it and I will. Itā€™s the way Iā€™ve been brought up. Nothing has come to me easily. Iā€™m not frightened of taking it on and also, as weā€™ve seen, there are a lot of former players in a worse state than me.

ā€œBattling is second nature. The worst thing was, until my condition was diagnosed you donā€™t know whatā€™s going on. The number of ex-players being diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimerā€™s is frightening.ā€

McDermott is considered one of the greatest midfielders in the clubā€™s history.

He was signed by the legendary Bob Paisley from Newcastle United in November 1974 and went on to lift four league titles, three European Cups, a UEFA Cup and two League Cups for Liverpool.

McDermott was also the recipient of the PFA Player of the Year and FWA Footballer of the Year awards in 1980.

He was present at Anfield on Saturday for the Redsā€™ Premier League fixture with Burnley and is keen to maintain his attendance at JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s sideā€™s matches.

ā€œIā€™ve been looking forward to going down to Anfield and seeing the lads, people I have known for years and having a good craic with them,ā€ he said. ā€œThankfully there are games coming up regularly now which I can go to.ā€

Everybody at Liverpool Football Club sends their love and best wishes to Terry and his family and the club will offer any and all support.

😢

Sad news
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2021 08:33:57 pm by JD »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Re: Terry McDermott
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2021 11:06:03 pm
      Awful news. Take care Terry - a true warrior.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2021 11:33:22 pm
      Surely a bit more than a coincidence that all these ex footballers getting brain damage.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2021 11:49:01 pm
      Surely a bit more than a coincidence that all these ex footballers getting brain damage.

I don't know about that but over here it's practically epidemic, so I wouldn't think it affecting a subset of footballers within society is that unusual, mathematically.

Lost my mother to it 8-9 years before we ultimately lost her to CoVid. It is a mean one. Best wishes to Terry and family.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2021 12:19:46 am
      Awful news. Dementia is a cruel disease.

Stay strong Terry.

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2021 12:28:54 am
      I don't know about that but over here it's practically epidemic, so I wouldn't think it affecting a subset of footballers within society is that unusual, mathematically.

Lost my mother to it 8-9 years before we ultimately lost her to CoVid. It is a mean one. Best wishes to Terry and family.

Of course dementia affects all in society and is in the Top 5 of killers but stats show footballers have a higher risk, 3.5X compared to the general population in the Glasgow study.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2021 10:37:30 am
      Sad news. :-(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2021 02:28:26 pm

Not really when you consider the weight of some of the balls they used. It's the consistent headers a lot of players back then did with the very heavy balls and causes scarring to the brain.

In terms of the NFL - the film Concussion with Will Smith is a good movie about the effects of it within their game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2021 06:09:34 pm
      Sad to hear.

A genius footballer, gets nowhere near the credit he deserves for how good he was.

Best wishes to him
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2021 06:19:11 pm

I don't know to be fair, my mother has severe dementia had it for 8 years now never headed a ball in her life, majority of patients in EMI dementia homes are women there is an argument that they live longer hence why more get dementia but the age is coming down each year. Having said that the longest member of the carer home before he died was David Herd.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2021 08:35:31 pm
      Terrible news for a great legend.

It has been shown that ex footballers have higher rates of dementia than general population, what isn't known is whether the weight of the ball makes a diifference. I would guess it doesn't ( less weight more speed ) I suppose we'll find out further down the line as research continues.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2021 09:19:13 pm
      Horrible news!
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2021 10:19:27 pm
      Very sad to hear this news, he was a great footballer and a great man, thinking of you Terry....hugs.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2021 10:30:47 pm
      Horrible diseaseā€¦

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2021 11:12:16 pm
      Battle on Terry lad. Good luck with your fight.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #15: Aug 23, 2021 07:35:58 pm
      All the best Terry. Scorer of my favourite ever Liverpool goal v Spurs at Anfield.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #16: Aug 23, 2021 07:48:31 pm
      Shocking  disease having your memories taken away from you ,stay strong terry you were one hell of a midfielder..
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Aug 23, 2021 08:10:57 pm
      Good luck Tez great player and could sink the beer as well, always remember him playing in the 7-0 defeat of Spurs he was good....
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #18: Aug 23, 2021 08:25:22 pm
      Very sad news to hear about Terry McDermott.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Aug 23, 2021 08:36:00 pm
      All the best Terry Mac. Let's hope the science boffins crack on with this one because this is a really horrible, long lasting illness for some.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #20: Aug 23, 2021 09:00:16 pm
      Read somewhere the is more money spent on Botox than research on dementia.... sign of the times, no doubt we will be paying out for people who have had their ear lobes fixed after stretching them
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #21: Aug 24, 2021 09:40:03 am
      Sad to read this, Terry Mac was always a favourite of mine, I hope he gets strength from all the people thinking of him and his family at this time.
      Both my in-laws had dementia, it truly is a horrible disease and we need more research to find effective treatments and hopefully a cure.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #22: Aug 24, 2021 11:56:34 am
      So sorry to hear this about Terry, hope he and his family can provide the strength needed to confront this destructive condition.

Quick Reply