Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Gillett and Hicks - Exit strategy?

Read 2828 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Gillett and Hicks - Exit strategy?
      Nov 28, 2007 01:43:27 am
      Just wondering how exactly Hicks and Gillett are going to come out of this smelling of roses?

Because they will have to make sure they do.

If Rafa stays - then they will have to manage what will be seen as a climbdown.

If they sack him or he leaves then they're going to be in big sh*t with the fans.

Anybody any ideas for a 'face-saving' way out for the Americans? (Let's hope they're reading this thread!)
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Re: Gillett and Hicks - Exit strategy?
      Reply #1: Nov 28, 2007 02:28:36 am
      Well in the next 24 hours they are surely going to have a very very clear idea of the passion and support of the Liverpool Fans for their club and manager. They kept on saying how they were aware that Liverpool had a great history and the most passionate fans in the world. Well now they're gonna get a taste of it.

I think this is turning into a stalemate. If they go ahead and sack Rafa, all hell is gonna break loose and they would have so much to lose, respect, a great manager, revenue and only after only being involved for 7 months (!)  It would be a PR disaster on a massive scale.

The best thing is for the Club to come forward denying any sacking rumours and that all is in fact fine in the club, just a minor disagreement and that the papers are to blame for taking it so far.Which is probably true to a certain extent as we have no real proof that he was going to get the sack in the first place. I'm really pleased that the demonstrations that have taken place today and the huge online petition have caught the media's attention. This must have a positive effect on the outcome.

The main thing is to get results......starting tomorrow
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Nov 28, 2007 07:41:43 am
      Just wondering how exactly Hicks and Gillett are going to come out of this smelling of roses?

If they sack him or he leaves then they're going to be in big sh*t with the fans.

Anybody any ideas for a 'face-saving' way out for the Americans? (Let's hope they're reading this thread!)

I cant see how they are gonna do it besides running and hiding till things calm down then hoping they can rear there heads once the fire has cooled, Im still really fuming at that smug bastad on Sky news last night saying Rafa is definately gone he is sure of it in all his worldly experience tw*t. LondonRed its not just the papers mate its also the S*ns TV station sky news . AND NO THATS NOT BEING HARSH its the truth they are as much to blame with all those smug tossers who come on to their sports bit stating how clever they are and forcing the issue.

Im still praying that this is gonna blow over but I can only surmise that Hicks & Gillet would have the common sense to just make an official statement today and calm the situation. Anything would do just to say, we had a minor disagreement but you get that in working relationships, you know the kinda stuff. Something PR related anyhow. For me Parry needs to make a statement aswell to help clear the air on his part and nullify this and nip it in the bud now. By not saying anything it just fules rumour and speculation which makes things worse by the minute.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Nov 28, 2007 10:16:20 am
      We are in the RESULTS business.

If we keep winning this will all just dissapear and a couple of players will join with the extra revenue from the CL campaign.

I can see Rafa leaving in May though... particularly IF we win the league. Then he will see his job done at LFC.

IF on the other hand we exit the CL and don't rally a charge from the Prem title - Rafa could well be on his way before Xmas.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #4: Nov 28, 2007 08:37:20 pm
      Agree.  If we win the league then he would be quite right to leave.

It's what I'd do.  Go at the top.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Nov 28, 2007 10:35:03 pm
      Agree.  If we win the league then he would be quite right to leave.

It's what I'd do.  Go at the top.

Agreed, it's what he did at Valencia and he is regarding very highly there! Whatever happens, I will always see him as such as a legend!
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: Nov 29, 2007 01:49:17 pm
      rick parry is a useless cu*t either that or hes been told to keep schtum .

whatever the issues, the fact the yanks havent come out to quash these rumours only serves to fuel them.

not good.

i am worried.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #7: Nov 29, 2007 04:22:14 pm
      He is going nowhere he was blushing when he thanked the fans on sky sports!  He was very touched by the fans, he kept it short but the body language was tooo apparent.  He is not going anywhere and wants truce its up to Parry and the yanks to not let this drag on.

marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #8: Nov 29, 2007 04:26:51 pm
      yes he loves it here and we the fans love him, that is obvious to anyone,
      especially after the whole olive branch and rafa trying to patch things up saga.

But the problem still remains that :

a. rick parry hasnt stepped in to quash any rumours

b. the yanks have said nothing to suggest its just 'nothing ' !

what does rick parry actually do again ?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Nov 29, 2007 04:28:24 pm
      I wouldn't welcome the fact of letting Rafa leave at all.  Not at the end of the season, not before the new year.

I thought that was what the protest was all about!
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #10: Nov 29, 2007 04:31:47 pm
      letting him leave would be a disaster for LFC and more so for the yanks.

a new manager would want funds for new players, (heard that before havent we)

key players would want to leave.

and the fans would go mental.

as business men im sure they could see this as the worse possible option to take.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2007 04:36:09 pm
      To be honest the Yanks have not done anything yet.  They've stuck by their initial statement that we will talk about transfers in mid-December and that Benitez was upset and that they told him to concentrate on the coming games that upset the manager.  Rick parry only needs to say that Benitez's position has never been in question, i am sure that is not too much for him to say.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2007 04:39:03 pm
      This is true, has anyone actually mentioned that the Yanks think that his position is under fire?? Or that Rafa is under threat???

Lets be homest no one has officially said anything that fuels the fire.

SPECULATION

Pure and simple.

REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2007 04:44:00 pm
      Rafa,has started the ball rolling by making a climb down,the yanks are trying to show everyone they are not to be messed with by sticking to their original statement.the man who has done nothing to to stop this crap is Mr Parry,just what is he hoping to gain from this silence?is he deliberately trying to cause a rift?He could quite easily tone this matter down.What is his agenda?
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2007 05:32:23 pm

JD

The whole issue was blown out of proportion by the Press! Did the owners say, either directly or indirectly, that they would let Rafa go? my guess is no! So there might not be any need for a face saving move. LFC is getting stronger with all these happenings.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: Nov 29, 2007 07:16:31 pm
      I was listening to Brian Reade from the Daily Mirror at lunchtime he is a good red and always seems to right balanced pieces when called to do a story on us, and he seemed to think Rafa had first upset the owners after the final in Athens when he moaned about the quality of player he was expected to work with and thats a fair enough statement by any stretch of the imagination.
      The problem is there is a right way to go about getting what you want and Rafa being the astute manager he is has sussed out the situation and after the latest bout of verbals has had the good sense to restore some sense of order to the proceedings.

Now we can all discuss how many of these rumours are pure speculation but I think you will agree that our owners seem to be hard nosed business men who would not take kindly to one of their employees giving them ultimatums however justified they are.

Rafa for me has pulled off another piece of tactical genius by being gracious enough to backtrack and let the owners make the next move, I also think the show of "fan power" will be of use as I know they will never have come across such passionate fans before and even though they may think we will support the club no matter what I don't feel they would wish to alienate the fans at this early stage of their ownership.

Things have been handled badly all round even if it is a load of nonsense that has got out of hand and we have had no calming influence from on high and that has been a very disappointing aspect of this fiasco for me.
      Lets hope the owners come over in December making similar apologetic tones and give Rafa a nice Christmas present, a centre half would be nice!
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 07:18:47 pm by Glenbuck »

Quick Reply