Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

League Cup 2021/22

Read 3575 times
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,521 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      League Cup 2021/22
      Aug 25, 2021 10:35:46 pm
      I guess most people aren’t bothered about the competition but I think it’s worth an ask -
      What are everyone’s thoughts on priorities, team selections etc.
      It could be a short thread as we’re playing Norwich and they will probably put out a stronger team then we will……
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Re: League Cup 2021/22
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2021 10:53:16 pm
      It's pretty remarkable that we've never been drawn at home against non-PL opposition in the early rounds of the League Cup under Klopp. The last time that happened was Carlisle in 2015 and that game was played under Brendan Rodgers. Klopp has never had the luxury of a home tie against non-PL opposition early in this competition.

On the occasions that we have gotten home draws prior to the QF we've invariably been drawn against top half PL teams, including Arsenal x2, Chelsea, and Spurs, not to mention a tricky away tie against Leicester early in 2017.

2015/16
      Carlisle H
      Bournemouth H
      Southampton A
      Stoke H/A
      City N

2016/17

Burton A
      Derby A
      Spurs H
      Leeds H
      Southampton H/A

2017/18
      Leicester A

2018/19
      Chelsea H

2019/20
      MK Dons A
      Arsenal H
      Villa A

2020/21
      Lincoln A
      Arsenal H

2021/22
      Norwich A

Norwich away will be an annoying fixture both due to the travel, as well as the fact that they're a PL team who will likely field a relatively strong team against us. We should have enough to beat them, but ideally we would have had an easier fixture to make it easier to give minutes to younger players.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2021 11:22:28 pm
      I really could not give two shits about this competition these days.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2021 11:32:18 pm
      All the top sides seem to treat this as an outing for the fringe players, apart from City of course. The rest of the clubs see it as a possible means of silverware. I'm not bothered either way. Best side and try win it or second string to get some serious minutes in competitive games.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2021 11:45:20 pm
      I would obviously play the second team but I would like to win it
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2021 11:46:33 pm
      First XI + subs:

Alisson
      Trent  Matip  Van Dijk Robertson
                    Fabinho
           Henderson    Thiago
      Salah      Firmino         Mane

Subs: Keita, Ox, Jota.

Without including anyone from the 14 players above we could still field a reasonaably solid 2nd team in the cup:

Kelleher
      Neco   Gomez  Konate Tsimikas
                        Milner
               Elliott         Jones
      Gordon      Minamino       Origi

That said, I wouldn't really expect a lineup against a PL team to feature all of Kelleher, Neco, Elliott, Jones, and Gordon, as Klopp tends to mix some more first teamers into the lineup in the cup to insulate youngsters a bit more. The right side with Neco/Elliott/Gordon seems particularly inexperienced too and ideally you'd add another senior player to that mix.

For instance, drop one of Henderson or Fabinho into DM to give us a strong nucleus of Gomez/Konate/DM, and push Milner and Elliott forward, and have Gordon off the bench.

Henderson/Fabinho
            Milner                     Jones
      Elliott           Minamino           Origi

That lineup looks much more solid, and we'd still be giving minutes to some fringe players along with Kelleher, Neco, Elliott, and Jones which seems about the number (3-4) of young players that Klopp is comfortable with in these types of games.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Aug 26, 2021 12:12:15 am
      Exactly Richard, I like your 2nd team. For me, they will be enough to beat Norwich.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Aug 26, 2021 03:38:10 am
      Whoever needs a game at that time. Hope to see Gordon from the start.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2021 03:56:46 am
      Whoever needs a game at that time. Hope to see Gordon from the start.
      Starting Gordon would probably entail having to start Trent and/or a senior RCM to insulate Gordon on the right a bit. Rather than doing that I'd prefer to give Trent a rest and start Elliott at RW along with one of Milner/Ox/Keita/Jones at RCM. Neco at RB with Elliott ahead of him is also a very youthful selection.

Let's not forget that Gordon is still only 16 years old, and also has a very slight physique. Elliott joined the club at 16 but didn't get his first start until his second season, playing 57 minutes against Lincoln.

Gordon's time will come but this game - against PL opposition away from home, is likely going to be a bit too soon for him.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2021 04:34:23 am
      I see its standard yet again City get the best drawn. To be fair nothing unusual it is.  :throw:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2021 05:13:58 am
      Prize money for winners, £100,000, enough said.
      Matches on PPV TV.
      Can't see why it's a competition a lot of people couldn't care less about.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2021 07:48:24 am
      Perfect chance for the younger lads to gain experience and also how else are the likes of Gomez and Konate going to get much game time.  People would be quick to jump on these players if they were called on but had no game time and going in cold.  Hope we go as far as possible
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2021 08:06:28 am
      What a surprise that we get PL opposition away from home whilst City get a home draw against a League 1 side!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2021 08:36:50 am
      I do not want to see any starting 11 or premium back-up wasted in this useless sh*t of competition. PL, CL, FA - these are the cups I wanna see us lift a trophy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2021 08:39:40 am
      Lost the very little interest I had in this pointless competition a couple of years ago when we were given no support and expected to play our tie less than 24 hours between our game in Qatar.

Sooner they scrap the competition the better. Even the lower league teams have been heavily rotating and don’t seem too bothered about it anymore.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2021 09:51:47 am
      This most likely to be no more than a run out for our squad players tbh.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2021 10:34:22 am
      What a surprise that we get PL opposition away from home whilst City get a home draw against a League 1 side!

Absolute farce. We've had some dodgy draws in these domestic cups for YEARS now
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2021 12:49:40 pm
      Starting Gordon would probably entail having to start Trent and/or a senior RCM to insulate Gordon on the right a bit. Rather than doing that I'd prefer to give Trent a rest and start Elliott at RW along with one of Milner/Ox/Keita/Jones at RCM. Neco at RB with Elliott ahead of him is also a very youthful selection.

Let's not forget that Gordon is still only 16 years old, and also has a very slight physique. Elliott joined the club at 16 but didn't get his first start until his second season, playing 57 minutes against Lincoln.

Gordon's time will come but this game - against PL opposition away from home, is likely going to be a bit too soon for him.

I doubt the relative strength and weakness of the team will concern him too much for this competition. The value is almost greater in giving the regular starters, including Trent, a night off than whatever team structure or protection comes from starting Trent.

Gordon appears more up to it physically at this age but the sport science people will sort it. Maybe it is too soon but this may be the only real opportunity this season to give him such a runout. Again, I dont think Jürgen cares much about the result, but about the performance of the players chosen.

I like the team you selected that included Gordon. An X factor may be whether Origi is still with us by then
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Aug 26, 2021 02:25:57 pm
      Perfect chance for the younger lads to gain experience and also how else are the likes of Gomez and Konate going to get much game time.  People would be quick to jump on these players if they were called on but had no game time and going in cold.  Hope we go as far as possible

Agree, play a mix of U23's with a couple of experienced first teamers aka Milner,  Jones, Ox for example , playing a competitive match at this level can enhance confidence and show potential future stars the standard that will be required,  so the next time they will be better prepared and know what is expected,  it's a perfect competition for this very reason!

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Aug 26, 2021 03:16:45 pm
      I want to win this. Not atvthe exense of other things but I still want to win it, I love winning love seeing a red captain lift a trophy. Couldnt giveva sh*te if it was the Lancashire cup

We have enough good players to chop and change to get through the rounds.

City won 6 of the last 8 and added a few leagues so why not us?
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #20: Aug 26, 2021 05:31:53 pm
      I doubt the relative strength and weakness of the team will concern him too much for this competition. The value is almost greater in giving the regular starters, including Trent, a night off than whatever team structure or protection comes from starting Trent.

Gordon appears more up to it physically at this age but the sport science people will sort it. Maybe it is too soon but this may be the only real opportunity this season to give him such a runout. Again, I dont think Jürgen cares much about the result, but about the performance of the players chosen.

I like the team you selected that included Gordon. An X factor may be whether Origi is still with us by then
      I wouldn't start Trent either. I'd just be keen to ensure that Gordon gets protected enough in his first senior game. There's no point giving a youngster a start if they'er not in a position to succeed.

Neco at RB. An experienced head like Milner at RCM, and then Elliott or Gordon at RW is the way I'd go. There's a bit to go until then though and injuries and results until then will play a part.

As for Gordon's fitness, in the all-touches videos from preseason he seems to fall down a lot, seems he either gets outmuscled or simply doesn't have the fitness to stay on his feet in challenges. That's not a long-term concern but he clearly has plenty of development to go. That's normal though, he's only 16 after all.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2021 07:36:54 pm
      I would really like us to give it our best go for 3 reasons

1. It's a trophy
      2. City are tied with us on the most atm, and we need to try and get that back.
      3. The longer we play the better chance we have at given fringe guys a run. Far too often we lose this tournament early and limit the exposure or those type of guys. I think that hurts our chances at landing proven vets looking for a home, as they know they realistically will only get 3-5 games tops. If we put more value on this tournament, 8t can only help. We have a big enough squad atm to do so. Perfect run out for the likes of Elliot, Taki, Ox, Tsimikas, Jones, Kieta, Gomez, Mily, and Konate. Throw in a first team guy or two and you can beat a lot of clubs. Need to get away from playing the kids (unless their ready) just to rest the squad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #22: Aug 27, 2021 02:11:59 am
      I see its standard yet again City get the best drawn. To be fair nothing unusual it is.  :throw:

And then you get the Champions League Draw you do!!!!

Quick Reply