Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Chelsea 28th August 2021 KO 17.30

Read 5590 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool v Chelsea 28th August 2021 KO 17.30
      Reply #23: Aug 27, 2021 05:28:34 pm
      Wonder if we might see Konate in this game? He’s a lot more powerful and a lot quicker than Matip.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #24: Aug 27, 2021 05:35:18 pm
      Wonder if we might see Konate in this game? He’s a lot more powerful and a lot quicker than Matip.

Doubt it
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #25: Aug 27, 2021 06:14:54 pm
      Lukaku is going to be a real handful here, makes Chelsea an entirely different proposition to when it was just Werner up top. Big test to see where VVD really is in his recovery.

Few selection headaches for the boss too which is nice. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jota benched for Bobby here.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Aug 27, 2021 07:17:39 pm
      NB: Team no longer available
      Alisson
      Matip
      Trent AA
      van Dijk
      Robbo
      Fabinho
      Naby lad
      Henderson
      Jota
      Mane
      Salah
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #27: Aug 27, 2021 07:24:53 pm
      I’d bring Firmino in for Jota. If Robertson is fit I’d bring him in at left back. I’d like a modfield of Hendo,Fab, Keita.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #28: Aug 27, 2021 07:37:11 pm
      Plot twist...we are going to roll them over again and again. 3-0 and we take all 3 points.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #29: Aug 27, 2021 07:46:09 pm
      I’d bring Firmino in for Jota. If Robertson is fit I’d bring him in at left back. I’d like a modfield of Hendo,Fab, Keita.

Paul Weller would agree. Think we'll turn this lot over with a ferocity that will recall our title winning season. Bring it on you chav tw*ts!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #30: Aug 27, 2021 08:36:07 pm

Matip has been sensational, why change it?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #31: Aug 27, 2021 08:37:56 pm

You can’t take out Jota after he’s scored twice in a row, he’s on a hot streak
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #32: Aug 27, 2021 09:09:03 pm
      You can’t take out Jota after he’s scored twice in a row, he’s on a hot streak

I totally agree but Klopp might think differently.

I'm predicting a draw, if we better that result I would be over the moon.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #33: Aug 27, 2021 09:36:04 pm
      First big test late game too, looking forward to it hope we go he'll for leather give them a class in pressing come on you reds
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #34: Aug 27, 2021 10:11:00 pm
      Think Jürgen will go the same team as last week, apart from Robbo in for Tsimikas.

Chavs have a feelgood factor cos they won the CL and have recruited Lukaku, but our first team is still better than theirs. I'd say only 3 of their players would improve our first 11 (Kante, Mount and - arguably - Lukaku), whereas all of our back 5 are better than theirs, so are our wide men, and Hendo is better than Jorginho. And we have the better manager. Add in the fact we are at home and we should hammer them about 5-0! Well not quite, but I definitely fancy us to win. For all their spending, we are still the better team and I think we'll show it tomorrow.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Aug 27, 2021 10:19:18 pm
      Matip has been sensational, why change it?

The reason I said, he’s stronger and faster and I’m not questioning Matip’s performances. I’m not saying to change it, I just wondered if it would be a possibility because of Lukaku and then Werner and Pulisic (if he’s back) so they will look to exploit our incredibly high line. Lukaku will drop deeper and try to draw one of the CBs out of position to make a gap for Werner to run into. As good as Matip is, he doesn’t have the recovery pace to match Werner or the physical strength to match Lukaku. Obviously on the day anything can happen but it’s for those reasons I asked the question about whether or not we may see Konate. Whether that’s at the start or coming on as a sub.

Sooner or later we will see Konate starting, don’t see the issue in questioning whether or not it would be in a game that suits him well, which this would.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #36: Aug 27, 2021 10:29:18 pm
      The reason I said, he’s stronger and faster and I’m not questioning Matip’s performances. I’m not saying to change it, I just wondered if it would be a possibility because of Lukaku and then Werner and Pulisic (if he’s back) so they will look to exploit our incredibly high line. Lukaku will drop deeper and try to draw one of the CBs out of position to make a gap for Werner to run into. As good as Matip is, he doesn’t have the recovery pace to match Werner or the physical strength to match Lukaku. Obviously on the day anything can happen but it’s for those reasons I asked the question about whether or not we may see Konate. Whether that’s at the start or coming on as a sub.

Sooner or later we will see Konate starting, don’t see the issue in questioning whether or not it would be in a game that suits him well, which this would.

Pep fu**ed and tinkered with the team then lost the final against these lot.

I say go with a tried and tested best team! Can’t wait
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #37: Aug 27, 2021 11:01:02 pm
      Chavs have pace up top, and we hold a high line. Pace can exploit that. Konate is a good good defender. If he has pace to match the chavs, and Matip doesn’t, as good as Matip has played, there’s an obvious answer as to who starts 🤷‍♂️
      Don’t give them the opportunity to get ahead. Let’s be proactive not reactive.
      3:1 to the red men. Won’t be Lukaka for theirs though, big virg will have him well shackled !
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #38: Aug 27, 2021 11:29:36 pm
      Huge game, so pumped. Chelsea are a real proposition this year, but I think this is a great time in the season to play them.  Seeming as Sadio, Mo, Bobby and Jota have all scored within the last 2 games, don’t expect anything less than 3 points. COYR!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39: Aug 27, 2021 11:55:36 pm
      Only change I would make is Robbo for Kostas if he is 100% fit.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Aug 28, 2021 12:13:50 am
                                            Alisson
                               Trent   Matip VVD  Robbo
                                 Hendo   Fabinho  Keita
                                  Salah     Jota     Mane

Think Jürgen will go with this, too early for wee Harvey in such a game so I think Thiago off the bench around the hour mark probably for Naby, can see Bobby off the bench too replacing Jota, tough encounter this but I still believe we have the edge, Tuchel has a plethora of riches to choose from but does he know his strongest X1 ?
      We on the other hand are a well oiled machine that will press the sh*t out of them, will be tight but I’m going for a 2-1 win, Jota & Mo with the goodie goodie gum drops.

Y  N  W  A
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #41: Aug 28, 2021 12:23:39 am
      Matip is arguably playing better than Van Dijk at the moment and has a proven understanding with Alisson and Van Dijk. There's no reason to break that up.

Konate is also brand new to the club so ideally you'd want to introduce him gradually starting with some games against easier teams, like a League Cup game for instance. That's what Klopp did with Fabinho and Robertson too. He's only 22 so he'll get plenty of games, the most important thing now is that he makes a good start to build confidence.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #42: Aug 28, 2021 12:37:59 am
                                            Alisson
                               Trent   Matip VVD  Robbo
                                 Hendo   Fabinho  Keita
                                  Salah     Jota     Mane

Think Jürgen will go with this, too early for wee Harvey in such a game so I think Thiago off the bench around the hour mark probably for Naby, can see Bobby off the bench too replacing Jota, tough encounter this but I still believe we have the edge, Tuchel has a plethora of riches to choose from but does he know his strongest X1 ?
      We on the other hand are a well oiled machine that will press the sh*t out of them, will be tight but I’m going for a 2-1 win, Jota & Mo with the goodie goodie gum drops.

Y  N  W  A
      I can understand calls for Jota to start given that he's on form, but in this fixture I think Klopp will lean towards Firmino for tactical reasons. Containing and cutting off supply from Jorginho will be absolutely crucial in this game if we want to boss possession and stop the flow of their attacks at the source, and Firmino is tailor-made for that role as a false 9 sitting deep on top of Jorginho.

If we need a goal 2nd half then Jota can come on as a sub, for either Firmino or Mane. Or if you want to be really adventurous bring Jota on for Keita and go with 4 up front and have Fabinho and Henderson as a double 6 in midfield.

This is the team I'd start, all being healthy:

Alisson
      Trent Matip VVD Robertson
                 Fabinho
         Henderson Keita
      Salah   Firmino     Mane

Thiago and Jota off the bench.

Bench: Kelleher; Konate, Gomez, Tsimikas; Milner, Ox, Thiago; Jota, Minamino
      Not in squad: Adrian; Phillips, Rhys Williams, Neco; Jones, Elliott; Origi

I kinda want to find a way to include Elliott in the squad too, but this makes most sense. Konate or Gomez could be dropped since 2 CB's on the bench might be overkill; or alternatively Minamino could be dropped, but either way I don't see Elliott coming off the bench ahead of some of the more senior options in midfield.

EDIT: Looks like Milner will miss the game, in which case there's space for one of Elliott or Jones.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #43: Aug 28, 2021 12:39:26 am
      Matip is arguably playing better than Van Dijk at the moment and has a proven understanding with Alisson and Van Dijk. There's no reason to break that up.

Konate is also brand new to the club so ideally you'd want to introduce him gradually starting with some games against easier teams, like a League Cup game for instance. That's what Klopp did with Fabinho and Robertson too. He's only 22 so he'll get plenty of games, the most important thing now is that he makes a good start to build confidence.

You’re missing the point of what I said. I never said for it to be done and to break up the current pairing. I never took anything away from Matip’s performances, I was just putting it out there if anyone thinks it’s a possibility because of Konate’s attributes compared to Matip’s and what we will be defending against (regardless of current performance). We have 4 CB options now, there will be times it gets changed about when we don't necessarily expect it to happen.
      Chavs probably have the strongest attack physically now with Lukaku and they will arguably have the quickest attack that we will come up against this season.
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2021 12:44:32 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #44: Aug 28, 2021 12:44:25 am
      You’re missing the point of what I said. I never said for it to be done and to break up the current pairing. I never took anything away from Matip’s performances, I was just putting it out there if anyone thinks it’s a possibility because of Konate’s attributes compared to Matip’s and what we will be defending against. We have 4 CB options now, there will be times it gets changed about when we don't necessarily expect it to happen.
      Apologies if I misunderstood something. I saw you asked about the possibility of starting Konate ahead of Matip and simply shared my thoughts on that.

For the record I wouldn't mind Konate starting at all, but for the reasons stated I think Klopp will persist with Matip here.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #45: Aug 28, 2021 05:52:19 am
      Been working a really tough case all week, and have missed time with my boys the last 3 or 4 nights. As long as something doesn't pop off we will have some quality time watching the Redman smash the life out of Tuchel and company. Cant wait.

1-0.

Quick Reply