Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      15 (19.5%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (16.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.3%)
      Harvey Elliott
      41 (53.2%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Sep 01, 2021 07:25:08 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 13754 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Aug 28, 2021 08:24:10 pm
      2 points dropped in the end. We started the 2nd half well on top but then the final 25/30 mins we weren’t anywhere near good enough; trying to force the ball through, aimless floated balls in the box and no cutting edge.

Can’t believe there was so much debate over the red card, the ball hit his arm on the line and he moves his arm towards the ball to scoop it away.

Can see why we aren’t signing a midfielder, Elliott is really proving himself ready.

Annoying that I got my prediction league score right!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #484: Aug 28, 2021 08:37:20 pm
      I feel like Robbo should've sat this one out but I also understand that Tsimikas against Chelsea might've been a big shout and maybe Jürgen was protecting him. I also don't understand why is Robbo still taking corners? At this point just have anybody else take them because as much as I love Robertson, the man wastes about 4 out of 5 corners he takes. He can't get them past the first post

First half I have nothing to say. It was end to end and Chelsea scored with a bizarre goal (credit to Havertz if he actually was going for that). Maybe Allisson could've stopped but I wouldn't hold this one against him.

Second half we needed one touch football around their box. They parked the bus and you cant afford to give them the time to swarm the ball carrier. Its one touch football until an opening appears and you try and take your chance.   

Mane was lively but once again, like last season, he has big problems with the ball at his feet. Can't beat his man and struggles to take the correct decision.

Not about to moan if we don't do any business before the end of the window, but I feel like a traditional tall #9 of some sort would be well appreciated to complement our phenomenal crossing abilities in such situations from time to time. I'm not saying go get Haaland or somebody super expensive. Just somebody who could do the job Origi is supposed to do for a year or two but with more efficiency. (Then again I know we dont go for temporary solutions).
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #485: Aug 28, 2021 08:40:21 pm
      Has mane turned a corner or have we seen the end of a legend?
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #486: Aug 28, 2021 08:44:14 pm
      what is annoying is only 3 mins of stoppage time.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #487: Aug 28, 2021 08:46:41 pm
      Has mane turned a corner or have we seen the end of a legend?
      I think he’s done. It’s been too long to be form alone. He’ll still have the odd worldie games, but I feel they are gonna get further apart other than more consistent.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #488: Aug 28, 2021 08:50:09 pm
      Not going to talk about the result, the subs, the penalty, the time-wasting, the refereeing....not going to talk about any of it.

I just logged on to say WHAT a footballer we have in Harvey Elliott. I know he has impressed in preseason and I thought played well last week, but to get the start in a match of this magnitude against a top opponent and to just play a freaking blinder of a game...THAT is really impressive.

You can have all your big money signings. Here we see a player who gets the job done.

Just like Academy graduate Trent Alexander Arnold or free transfer Joel "I've got Lukaku in my pocket" Matip.

This is a team that can win the league - no question.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #489: Aug 28, 2021 08:52:57 pm
      Thought the ref was shocking as well

Thank F**k he was the ref and not on var duty or we'd have got bugger all !
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #490: Aug 28, 2021 08:57:44 pm
      Really interesting first half, Chelsea are going to be a massive threat this season. Not just the excellence of their eleven and squad, but the quality of coaching and most important, their growing mental strength. My heart sank with the sending off, I knew how hard it would be to break them down. Very frustrating.

Serious question. Has there ever been a three way title race, I mean right up to the last eight games or so? Can't think of one, yet us City and Chelsea look capable of making it so.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #491: Aug 28, 2021 08:59:29 pm
      Thank f**k he was the ref and not on var duty or we'd have got bugger all !

The ref let a ton of sh*t go, but Fab could have had a yellow easy. It'll take ten games or so for refs to find the balance.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #492: Aug 28, 2021 09:07:06 pm
      The ref let a ton of sh*t go, but Fab could have had a yellow easy. It'll take ten games or so for refs to find the balance.

All angles and visions, agree fab could/should have a yellow, but they fell like flies, Mo had his shirt pulled within 2 mins and cos he didn't go down sweet fa
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #493: Aug 28, 2021 09:26:00 pm
      Thought the performance was decent, just a bit disappointing we ran out of ideas over the last 20 mins. Not sure why Trent didn't make overlapping runs today, especially when they were down to 10. Him going beyond Mo and whipping in crosses would seem an obvious way to get behind them, with them blocking everything through the middle. Maybe under instruction cos we had Elliot (who was very lively) to link up with Mo? Anyway, Trent just stayed inside the whole game, which was a bit strange.

Still we played ok. Not too disappointed, they are hard to break down, especially parking the bus cos they are down to 10. Good news is Lukaku continues to look like he's still not quite got the touch of a great striker, even after a good spell in Italy. No doubt he'll rack up goals against poorer teams, but Virgil and Matip took care of him pretty easily today.

Officiating was bizarre - Chelsea got every little decision. Was waiting for him not to give the pen, but at least he got that right. Automatic red is a harsh rule I've always thought - penalty and a yellow would have done, and probably made for a better 2nd half, but that's the rule. MOTM was between Mo and Elliot - thought Mo shaded it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #494: Aug 28, 2021 09:53:30 pm
      Not a great game but VVD is getting stronger , Matip was superb , Elliot is going to be a star

Full backs were poor today
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #495: Aug 28, 2021 09:59:38 pm
      Other than the pen, thought Mo was almost as poor as Mane. Didn’t trouble their defense all day and when he did have a great chance inside the box, he uses his right foot and basically passes it to the keeper. The one time he should have switched the ball to his left and smashed it and he just rolled it into the keeper.

Elliott was good but towards the end you could see him being a little tentative. He stopped trying to take on his man and started to go for the conservative pass. He’s most threatening with the ball at his feet attacking. Also would have liked to have seen us take more shots outside the box.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #496: Aug 28, 2021 10:00:20 pm
      Other than the pen, thought Mo was almost as poor as Mane. Didn’t trouble their defense all day and when he did have a great chance inside the box, he uses his right foot and basically passes it to the keeper. The one time he should have switched the ball to his left and smashed it and he just rolled it into the keeper.

Elliott was good but towards the end you could see him being a little tentative. He stopped trying to take on his man and started to go for the conservative pass. He’s most threatening with the ball at his feet attacking. Also would have liked to have seen us take more shots outside the box.

Agree, mane and Salah pretty crap
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #497: Aug 28, 2021 10:01:39 pm
      I think he’s done. It’s been too long to be form alone. He’ll still have the odd worldie games, but I feel they are gonna get further apart other than more consistent.

And we've entered this season as him as our nailed on LW with no backup option for him
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #498: Aug 28, 2021 10:14:12 pm
      We've never looked good against low block teams. We're not City. Thiago and Elliott might be solutions, but I do miss a reliable outside of the box shooter.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #499: Aug 28, 2021 11:12:15 pm
      Definitely 2 points dropped, quite a few of our players looked off the pace today. We didn’t work Mendy enough and should have played more pinball while around the box. Henderson and Robbo were poor. They both have tons of energy, but lack the finesse trying to break down a bus. Wish they’d both been taken off at the start of second half. Klopps obsessed with sticking to subs at the 70 min mark. Fabinho, Elliot and Matip all played well. Hope this isn’t an indication we’re missing a trick by not securing another forward/midfielder that can bang them in from 25 yards…
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #500: Aug 28, 2021 11:30:12 pm
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #501: Aug 28, 2021 11:46:10 pm
      That’s probably the first ever good Twitter link by Shabs. Stellar.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #502: Aug 28, 2021 11:56:49 pm
      Atkinson made an important point on TAW, our left side was absolutely abject and offered nothing all game. Robertson and Mane stunk the place out...
      so we became even more predictable than we usually are...im still a bit concerned about where the goals are coming from other than Salah...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #503: Aug 29, 2021 01:14:52 am
      That’s probably the first ever good Twitter link by Shabs. Stellar.

F**k you..👍🏼
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #504: Aug 29, 2021 01:22:29 am
      We played against 12 in the first half and even though they had a man, correctly sent off (Not that those cu*ts in VAR had a clue, so put it back on the c**t ref) and against 11 in the second half.

Tell me that c**t Ref isn't in there pocket, just like VVD and Joel had Lukaku in theirs!!!

Disgraceful refereeing, if you can call it that!!! Every 50/50 went their way, he allowed the numerous times of time wasting by those cu*ts, falling down whenever they got the slightest touch or feigning cramps and then fu**ed us with 3 minutes and F**k all stoppage time.

Seeing those cu*ts celebrate like they won the league, pissed me off, switched it off and went to bed, angry!

Thought Kostas on form should have been given a start. Wonder what that will do for his confidence?

Same goes for Jota. Should have been in the starting 11 for me.

F***ing sh*t, we have to stew on this now for what, 3 weeks? F***ing hate Internationals!!!

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #505: Aug 29, 2021 02:51:56 am
      Combination of good defending and poor creativity which is what resulted in the draw. These types of games very frustrating to watch as the boys are out there trying but nothing was coming off. Figured Klopp would of used Ox/Ketia off the bench or throw on Thiago after HT because we are knew Chelsea was parking the bus.

I would agree with most it is two points dropped, not the end of the world but with international break this result will linger.

Quick Reply