Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      15 (19.5%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (16.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.3%)
      Harvey Elliott
      41 (53.2%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Sep 01, 2021 07:25:08 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 13767 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Aug 29, 2021 02:51:29 pm
      And......for the first 45+ minutes, the ref was in Chelsea's back pocket.

Hence the penalty and red card!!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #530: Aug 29, 2021 02:58:14 pm
      Looking back at it the next day I still feel like those are two points we lost. However, we all know the drill.  Beat everybody bellow the top 4 home and away and then manage those top 4 games so that at the very worst you dont lose them and you'll be more than alright.

We still need to build match sharpness and be able to put teams to the sword when something like what happened yesterday occurs but I have to say we did not look bad before the penalty. We looked good defensively (apart from one or two mistakes from Matip but nothing major), the middle of the park was lively, Firmino and Sadio were tracking back with lots of energy, Elliott looks confident on the ball. Hendo and Robbo were not looking so good but I think the former is much more comfortable at RCM or DM than LCM and Robbo should've probably sat that one out (easy to say after the game since Klopp could've started Tsimikas, the lad proceeds to produce a stinker of a performance and then we're all here saying Klopp should've kept him on the bench  and that he wasn't ready for such a big game).

The only problem we still have is creativity against low blocks. Now admittedly I don't know of a team that does not struggle against low blocks. Even City or old time Barcelona struggle to break such a set up. Its a game of finding plausible solutions and then hammering your opposition with those solutions until you break them. However, at the moment, we need better solutions than Trent and Robbo crossing from different areas on their respective flanks. Thiago was subbed in way too late IMO and I would've liked to see either one of Keita or Ox in there. 

On top of all that, I think that if we are going to bombard a low block with crosses from our full-backs then we might as well have somebody good in the air and with a more adapted stature for air play in the box because as much as I love Sadio, Jota and Mo none of these guys are gonna come out on top of aerial duels in a crowded box. Mane and Jota will score headers but just not against a low block who meets you face to face.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #531: Aug 29, 2021 03:14:23 pm
      One thing I will have a bi*ch about is the stewards blocking the exit in 208 at the end of the game telling everyone to go down towards 108. F***ing hell been going the same way for 20 years, now some bright spark H & S c**t decides they have a bright idea. That will cause even more issues for people trying to get away. Anyway after climbing over a few rows of seats and then walking around the stewards and down 208 exit (plus giving the tw*ts a piece of my mind) I was on my way back to the Oakfield.

Whoever thought up this bright idea for the stewards needs F***ing shooting.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #532: Aug 29, 2021 03:26:36 pm
      Chelsea is a hard team to beat when they sit deep. Feel some of the us are bit harsh on our players in this thread.
      I saw our team running their heart out. Some misses and few mistakes but overall we gave it everything.

Agree, too early in the season to be over critical, we’re still not up to speed yet at game day 3, I thought second half the pressing was fantastic and we were camped in their half, to play with that intensity for 15/20 mins was incredible, as the season gets older the intensity will get longer, so we have to give credit where it’s due, Chavs held out and if the boot was on the other foot(no pun intended)  we’d be full of praise for our boys too,

I thought Jürgen missed a trick by keeping young Harvey on as long as he did, I would have swapped him for Thiago and put Naby on too , don’t get me wrong the lad did well considering his age , but you can’t buy experience and that was what we could have done with more of, in the end it was a fair result imo, yes we dropped two points but so did they, it’s a three horse race this season so taking two points off your rivals isn’t too shabby, and who knows it could be three at their gaff.

Y  N  W  A

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #533: Aug 29, 2021 04:04:53 pm
      Still gutted
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #534: Aug 29, 2021 08:12:44 pm
      It was an awful performance by Klopp's team, alarmingly we still have chronic problems over the past seasons for not having a top striker (CF) the three degrees Salah,Firmino, and Manie aren't really top center-forwards, they were originally wingers, no doubt we will struggle to score goals this season. We have problems all over the pitch, Clumsy Matip awful defending he got sucked in more than three times and left a big hole behind him, Robbo and Trent were really useless, why Klopp Tsimikas who is much better than Robbo? I feel sorry for the young lad.

Chelsea could have won it with 10 players, the difference between the two teams is huge!

Outstanding players were Elliot, VVD, Jota, Fabinho, Thiago, the rest were utter RUBBISH.
      Klopp needs to buy quality CF at once, otherwise, it will be hard to keep pace with Chelsea.

The players need to do much better, and good luck with the next game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #535: Aug 29, 2021 08:14:56 pm
      It was an awful performance by Klopp's team, alarmingly we still have chronic problems over the past seasons for not having a top striker (CF) the three degrees Salah,Firmino, and Manie aren't really top center-forwards, they were originally wingers, no doubt we will struggle to score goals this season. We have problems all over the pitch, Clumsy Matip awful defending he got sucked in more than three times and left a big hole behind him, Robbo and Trent were really useless, why Klopp Tsimikas who is much better than Robbo? I feel sorry for the young lad.

Chelsea could have won it with 10 players, the difference between the two teams is huge!

Outstanding players were Elliot, VVD, Jota, Fabinho, Thiago, the rest were utter RUBBISH.
      Klopp needs to buy quality CF at once, otherwise, it will be hard to keep pace with Chelsea.

The players need to do much better, and good luck with the next game.

Oh do behave you saucy git!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #536: Aug 29, 2021 09:18:44 pm
      Game highlighted we are probably short of 1 more attacking player be that in the front 3 or an attacking midfielder who can score goals.

We are stuffed with midfielders to nullify the opposition but short on goals from that group.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #537: Aug 29, 2021 09:29:18 pm
      Didn't play our best but got the point.

I think Chelsea will be the toughest games we have this season home and away , as City are more open and let us play, so I'm happy enough with a point even with the 10 men.

Sadio is still a bit of a concern but hopefully he gets some form.

Elliott again doesn't look out of place in this team at all

It was pretty open in the first half when they went 1 up and could have been 2. They only sat back because they were down to 10 men.
      I can’t understand why Robb snd Mane weren’t hooked at half time when they were playing so badly.
      Poor team management for me. Earlier changes could have made the difference.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #538: Aug 29, 2021 10:59:30 pm

His WUM talents are fading fast.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #539: Aug 29, 2021 11:26:56 pm
      t’s hard enough to beat a parked bus of hacks over 90 minutes and it’s much harder to beat a parked bus of talented, organized, well coached players like Chelsea in 45.

Fair point. If anything we can learn from yesterday its that we didn't try and draw enough fouls, free kick opportunities etc. Other big teams are much cleverer at that than we are. We were probing for the perfect goal when we should have been cuter IMO.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #540: Aug 30, 2021 12:40:47 am
      It’s a bit disconcerting that we were camped in their half the second half and we basically tried the same thing over and over again. That’s the definition of insanity by the way.

Really can’t understand why we were able to break them down and yes they have some good players but they only had 10 of them.

Also, for all the people big upping the chavs, they weren’t all that impressive to me. Yea a couple of breaks against us but other than the wonder header, we really should have turned them over quite easily. They aren’t as good as people are saying they are and you can tell by the way they celebrated getting that point.

I’m no manager so while a couple of the decision make me scratch my head I’m sure Klopp knows better than me but I’m still disappointed, because as soon as they went to 10 men I was completely expecting us to win, just wasn’t sure by how many it would be.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #541: Aug 30, 2021 01:55:59 am
      I’m still disappointed, because as soon as they went to 10 men I was completely expecting us to win, just wasn’t sure by how many it would be.

They had accepted the draw. In the first half they had 5 defenders, 3 at the back and Kante/Jorginho. Second half they had 8 defenders.

Going down to ten men in football is never the walkover you expect depending on scoreline and attitude of the opposition.

Agree its disappointing but its surprising how often 10 man teams get good results through counter attacks.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #542: Aug 30, 2021 02:08:04 am
      They had accepted the draw. In the first half they had 5 defenders, 3 at the back and Kante/Jorginho. Second half they had 8 defenders.

Going down to ten men in football is never the walkover you expect depending on scoreline and attitude of the opposition.

Agree its disappointing but its surprising how often 10 man teams get good results through counter attacks.

Luis Garcia was on ESPN and said this very same thing. That it's very difficult to beat teams when they go down to 10 men because they often just sit back and the coach does not allow many players to go forward so there's very little space. Add to that Chelsea is a top team and it's far from a cake walk.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #543: Aug 30, 2021 03:55:28 am

Very good point. The opposition going down to 10 men is never something that makes it as easy as you'd think it is listening to the commentary during the game. Like you said, I felt that they defended pretty deep and with a lot of numbers before the card. As soon as I saw the red coming out I knew we were in for one hell of a bus displacement job in the second half. I expected us to wear them down and eventually finish them off but I cant say I was surprised we didn't. Very well oiled defensive machine that team is.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #544: Aug 30, 2021 04:56:47 am
      There was a period there in the opening 15 minutes of the second half where we swarmed with pressure and had great movement of the ball and they struggled to adapt to it.  I said to my brother at the time if we don’t score now we won’t in the next 30.

Once they were allowed to settle in and organize their shape they had us well covered and were able to limit our off the ball space and movement. When you add in the fact they have quality defenders in the squad our task was always going to be a difficult one. Disappointed in particular with our opportunity to offer any threat from set pieces I can’t recall us making any solid contact on any of the dozen corners we had. Those ones to the front post by Robbo and Trent need to be fu**ed off.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #545: Aug 30, 2021 06:32:30 am
      However, at the moment, we need better solutions than Trent and Robbo crossing from different areas on their respective flanks.

His name, is Philippe Coutinho. ;D
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #546: Aug 30, 2021 08:19:50 am

It's funny though as the game was going on and the Chelsea penalty area was packed I was thinking we needed someone to curl one in from the edge of the box. Hendo wasn't going to do it, Elliot probably could but was maybe apprehensive or keeping it simple to order. I was thinking we need Coutinho here 😬
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #547: Aug 30, 2021 08:24:13 am
      We have many great midfielders but only one who will score goals. When the forwards dont score we need midfield to step up and we dont do that
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #548: Aug 30, 2021 08:28:33 am

But when we went down to 10 men when ZMane got sent off. We got smashed. 4:1 wasn’t it. Conceded 3 after the sending off 🤷‍♂️
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #549: Aug 30, 2021 11:27:08 am
      Just seen some stats from the game, we apparently had 16 tackles (13 given as fouls !), Chelski 26 tackles (4 given as fouls and 1 was the handball that the ref missed )
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #550: Aug 30, 2021 11:29:45 am
      Just seen some stats from the game, we apparently had 16 tackles (13 given as fouls !), Chelski 26 tackles (4 given as fouls and 1 was the handball that the ref missed )

Cheating Ref c**t!!!
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #551: Aug 30, 2021 06:50:01 pm

It really was shocking how one-sided all of the decisions were.  I almost never complain about the refs, but this was farcical. 

Mind you, we still didn't do enough to justify us winning the match, but the c**t refs didn't help us at all.  Only got the pen and the red because VAR made it impossible for them to ignore it. 

Quick Reply